corner corner please, please, please, please, please

Forum | << Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

please, please, please, please, please

Stop changing my choice of book categories to something else that I would never use!

The site makes me fill it in, I do, and then it changes it. It is making me crazy!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Stop changing my choice of book categories to something else that I would never use!

The site makes me fill it in, I do, and then it changes it. It is making me crazy!
Profile Image
There's a bug in the registering process which yields this effect. However, it does not change the categories later but only when registering the book - which means that if you choose to edit the book details later and set the category to your category of choice, it will stick. But keep in mind that editing book details sometimes runs into another flavor of that bug: While the categories are disregarded when registering and respected when editing, for the ISBN it's the other way round. So if you edit the book details to get the category right, you might find that the ISBN is wrong afterwards.

All errors of this kind basically are flavours of the same error: The BC database does not save the full data again if there was already a book in the database with identical data but saves a link to the existing dataset instead. When checking for identical datasets, it forgets to compare some of the data, so it believes a book with different category is the same and links to that (or, when editing, different ISBN) although it's not entirely identical.

Profile Image
There's a bug in the registering process which yields this effect.

Yes, I know that, and that is what I am begging them to fix.
Profile Image
I hate my selections being changed to Women's Fiction. What the heck is that?
Profile Image
Women's Fiction. What the heck is that?

I've always wondered that too.
Profile Image

It changed one of mine to Women's Fiction today (a category I have NEVER used on purpose] which is what brought on my rant.

I register hundreds of books some weeks and get really tired of having to change them back. What is especially annoying is that the site won't let you leave it blank, it forces you to fill it in, then changes it.

I just looked and I have almost 14 full pages of Women's Fiction, none of which I designated that way. Arrrrggghhh. I wish I hadn't looked. Now I'm getting mad again.
Profile Image
It changed one of mine to Women's Fiction today (a category I have NEVER used on purpose] which is what brought on my rant.

There, there, dear. Don't worry your pretty little head about it....
Profile Image

It is a sexist plot to encourage women to read brain candy. <----This is a little joke, so please don't take it seriously.
Profile Image
I just checked my shelf, because I check as soon as I register abook to see if the site changed my books on registering. I now have 19 books of women's fiction. Including Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.

Now, like solittletime, I'm off to waste my time to change them back. This is starting to seem like a trip to the doctor where if you are a woman of a certain age your complaints and concerns will be dismissed. We don't want to go there.
Profile Image
This is definitely high on our pet peeve list. We can't personally fix it, much as we'd like to, but I'll go and mark it as 'Critical' on the To-Do list. Because this is BookCrossing, and book data is a big deal.
Profile Image
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Profile Image
Because this is BookCrossing, and book data is a big deal.

bcsupportteam, I really appreciate that you took the time to respond to this message. Book data is important.
Profile Image
but I'll go and mark it as 'Critical' on the To-Do list. Because this is BookCrossing, and book data is a big deal.

Thank you sooooo much!!
Profile Image
A number had changed their categories. I fixed them, but that would be a MASSIVE task for someone if they had registered thousands.
Profile Image
A number had changed their categories. I fixed them, but that would be a MASSIVE task for someone if they had registered thousands.

Which is why I tend to ignore it as it is far too hard a task for me to check my books.
Profile Image
I tend to ignore it as it is far too hard a task for me to check my books.

I second that. But still, I would very much prefer it if the book details would stay the way we enter them.
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12764110/ coded as non-fiction?

Arrrrrggggghhhhh!
Profile Image
A Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12760289/
Women's Fiction

Against the Odds by Elizabeth Moon (ex-marine) http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11344812/
Romance

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11415503/
Romance.

I could go on, but I'm too depressed...
Profile Image
To clean up the original refering database.

Talking about tasks to big to handle...
Profile Image
the site asks me to fill in the category and then changes it.

But... I *ALWAYS* check the category afterwards and correct it, as it drives me too nuts to leave it incorrect.

And now, the site is changing it AGAIN after I correct it the first time it changes it.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13056247/ was listed as Education

There were a few others but I corrected them a second time before thinking about posting here.

Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13208653 Sidney Sheldon's "The Sands of Time" is a graphic novel???
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13208653 Sidney Sheldon's "The Sands of Time" is a graphic novel???

Heh! Sounds like somebody who registered a previous copy of that title thought that a book with graphic content qualified as a "graphic novel". I've seen quite a bit of that over the years. (I do notice the change-the-category bug now and then, but I guess I've gotten used to it - or else I wind up being the first person to register a book so my category-choice is the one that sticks {wry grin}.)
Profile Image
Sounds like somebody who registered a previous copy of that title thought that a book with graphic content qualified as a "graphic novel".

I did this once before I realised!! *Hangs head in shame*.
Profile Image

Grin

I found a book about Montignac diet: (rough translation) She is slim because she eats.

I was really tempted to put it under Women's fiction :-D.
(But I resisted, I like boring clean databases)
Profile Image

feature

That is a not a bug that is a feature! :-) - I alwyas hate to choose the category! All data comes automatically by with the ISBN in amazon but not the category. So I take always the "all categories" and that works, because the category is always overwritten and the chosing of a correct category is anyway useless.
Profile Image
Women's Fiction
The Year Of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13416594/
Profile Image
Essential Waterskiing for Teens

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13208656/

so I click on "teens." So the site changes it to "childrens."

So I change it back to "teens."

Arrrrgggghhhh!
Profile Image
that I ended up wasting my time fixing my registered books' detail. I pretty much know that while registering a book, whatever I try to edit- title, author name and category - won't stick, I will have to go back and make the change afterwards. But of course sometimes when registering a bunch of books for releases I don't always do that. And now I take a look... what a can of worms...

I volunteer at my library book sale, where we have to sort donated books into categories to make shopping easier when the book sale comes around. It's pretty easy for volunteers to put books in the wrong pile, eg. The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing almost always end up in hobbies, Da Vinci Code in religion, The Life of Pi in biographies, etc. But at least you can somehow see how the mistake happen. Whereas BC's errors are plain ridiculous.
Profile Image
I say Literature. The site changes it to Audio Downloads. But it's a large-print book!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13666271
Profile Image
I say Literature. The site changes it to Audio Downloads. But it's a large-print book!

Well, the first person to have registered a book with that same ISBN must have chosen that category for some reason... :-/
Profile Image

Well, the first person to have registered a book with that same ISBN must have chosen that category for some reason... :-/

... which probably was that BC mixes various editions into one database entry, totally neglecting different ISBN, different capitalization, and during the site changeover process in 2010 also neglecting different punctuation, and maybe even more. In any case, if there were several editions with similar titles in May 2010, after May 2010 there only was one left and everything had been thrown together, whether they were the same book or not. Also, AFAIK at some time in the past categories were imported from Amazon, where nonsense is standard and a wrong edition is easily picked.

Database entries for Audiobooks with the ISBN of a paperbook haven't necessarily been entered by a user. They were usually created by bugs in the BC system. Bugs that have been known for many years and that affect about one third of all books, and were never fixed. However, they only affect the core of BC, so it's obviously inappropriate to even bring them up. If it was something that affects the shop, maybe someone would think about thinking about thinking about maybe thinking about thinking about a fix, but this only frustrates active members and drives them away, so it's nothing serious at all.

Profile Image
I don't respond well to sarcasm, sorry. I'm afraid it's wasted on me.
Profile Image
I don't respond well to sarcasm, sorry. I'm afraid it's wasted on me.

The facts in my earlier posting are actual facts which you may choose to ignore, but can't deny.

This thread is three years old and nothing has changed. The bugs it addresses have been destroying data for five and a half. Nothing ever has happened to get them fixed, neither any other serious work was done outside of the shop for five full years. This is an awfully long time to survive on hollow promises, and quite a number of formerly active members have given up bookcrossing with one reason being the sad state of the website.

Maybe sarcasm is the only way to hold out.
Profile Image
The facts in my earlier posting are actual facts which you may choose to ignore, but can't deny.

I'm not doing either, and in many ways I agree with you, but your angry rant left me speechless. I simply have no response to give you.
Profile Image

But WHY should someone else's stupidity still effect the book I am registering all these year's later? I guess if the site didn't require me to enter a category it wouldn't drive me quite so crazy but it does, and I do, and then it changes it to something that is completely wrong,
Profile Image
WHY should someone else's stupidity still effect the book I am registering all these year's later?

Because someone, a couple of years ago, thought that it was desirable to try to have consistent information on the site.
Profile Image
WHY should someone else's stupidity still effect the book I am registering all these year's later?

Because someone, a couple of years ago, thought that it was desirable to try to have consistent information on the site.

Did they never think it would be consistently wrong, not consistently right? That book is still a hardcover large-print book, that I can hold in my hands, no matter how many times the site wants to make it into an audio dowload. It just doesn't work.
Profile Image
It just doesn't work.

I know, and I agree. I don't know what they thought. I have no way of finding out. Don't yell at me please. :-((
Profile Image
Don't yell at me please. :-((

Oh, Moem, I would NEVER yell at you! I'm yelling at the Powers that Be that programmed a book site that gives bad data about its books. Not at you. Never. We love you!

PS - It's usually the category that I'm yelling about (but not at you) but earlier today I registered one where the author's first name was incorrect (not even close) and I just happened to notice it. I assume every registered copy will have the wrong first name forevermore because it's more important to be consistent than to be right. Oh well.
Profile Image
earlier today I registered one where the author's first name was incorrect (not even close) and I just happened to notice it. I assume every registered copy will have the wrong first name forevermore because it's more important to be consistent than to be right.

I can't really believe that. After summer 2010, BC has always respected what you enter as titles and authors. Only capitalization is still not respected, so that sometimes authors will yell at you (ALL UPPERCASE), try to hide as non-names (all lowercase) or even try a weird mix (all mEssed cASE)

Well, as I said, apart from the capitalization and categories resp. ISBN BC should respect what you entered. Unless, of course, you take the data mess that comes from Amazon for something you aren't allowed to change, because, Amazon is the pope or something like that. Free yourself from Amazons error dictate! Just edit away the errors by using your own fingers and keyboard before hitting "Register".

Actually, I think that BC should finally free us all from the Amazon data waste dump, and just search among the BC database for titles. This would mean that we wouldn't get the same crap all over and over again but after entering correct data once, could simply choose the correct entry again. It would as a side effect get people to actually use a preexisting database entry more often than currently where everyone who doesn't take Amazon as a God That Must Not Be Questioned edits the data into an own variant. This would finally result in a smaller and faster database, which is what all the normalization mess originally was about when it was introduced. Amazon was a good idea when BC was small, so, like maybe until ten years ago. Nowadays using the Amazon database is more a source for errors and frustration than any kind of help.

But as usual - why am I even suggesting something. Experience of many years of bookcrossing shows that nothing will change anyway, and if something changes it's swapping one known bug for two new ones which may be more difficult to circumvent than the old one.

Love it or leave it? Well, I still love bookcrossing, so leaving is not an option until now. I fail to love the team, though, and I fail to love the community. Among other reasons, this is because I seem to stand mostly alone with my failure to love the team for the "great work" they do.

Profile Image
But as usual - why am I even suggesting something. Experience of many years of bookcrossing shows that nothing will change anyway, and if something changes it's swapping one known bug for two new ones which may be more difficult to circumvent than the old one.

Love it or leave it? Well, I still love bookcrossing, so leaving is not an option until now. I fail to love the team, though, and I fail to love the community. Among other reasons, this is because I seem to stand mostly alone with my failure to love the team for the "great work" they do.

It's shocking, ekorren; you're absolutely right. The BC support team is not fulfilling the obligations of its contract. I'd suggest that some drastic steps be taken without delay:

1. Let's cut the support team's payment by half!
2. And let's stop paying our monthly membership fees in protest!

What's that? Most of them are working as volunteers? For zilch, you mean? In their own time? And there are no membership fees? You mean this is essentially a free service?

Oops, then my drastic steps won't work, I guess. Sorry, it was just a suggestion. ;)

PS: Believe me, I'm just as frustrated as you with some of the long outstanding bugs. It's just that both the support and technical teams are a lot smaller than you think. No, even smaller.

Let's cut them some slack. The love part is optional. :)
Profile Image

No, not for everything registered after May 2010.

It's simply because someone, a couple of years ago, forgot to include the category in a comparison, and someone else, for many years, refused to fix this little bug.

When a book is registered BC looks whether there is already an identical database entry and, if there is one, uses that one. However, "identical" is defined as "same author AND same title AND same ISBN", case insensitive, while it should be defined as "same author AND same title AND same category AND same ISBN", case sensitive. Funny enough, this is only valid when registering a book. If you edit the data of an already registered book the used definition of identical is "same author AND same title AND same category" - i.e. then the category is respected, but the ISBN is ignored, so editing the book to get the category right may as a side effect swap your ISBN for one of another edition.

For books registered until May 2010, it's even worse - these books actually did go through a "consistency" process which often changed titles, categories, and even many author names to some crap of unknown origin.

Profile Image
Category is Science? Really?

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13898427 The Gods of Newport by John Jakes
Profile Image
The Adventures of Captain Underpants = Arts & Photography

: (
Profile Image
The Adventures of Captain Underpants = Arts & Photography

: (

Hey. What do you expect from a Banned Book? They show up inappropriately all the time. (snicker).

Wait a minute. Oh oh. I'm off to check my copies of that title....
Profile Image
Arts and Photography? The book banned in Texas for introducing children to the phrase "poo-poo head"? Arts and Photography???????

see http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11968524/
Profile Image
Al Capone Does My Shirts http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14272723 changed my children's category to history. (I changed it back!)

Amazing Grace http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14307521/ changed my children's category to romance. (I changed it back.)
Profile Image
I HAVE to correct them, it would drive me mad to leave them the way the site enters them!

: )
Profile Image
I HAVE to correct them, it would drive me mad to leave them the way the site enters them!

: )

I don't always notice, but if I do, I generally try to change them. Just like I try to add a cover image if I come across a book on my shelf that's missing one. I don't go hunting for them deliberately, but when I find one...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.