corner corner ski/snowboard area releases

Forum | << Release Challenges | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

ski/snowboard area releases

OK, I guess this only valid for those of us in the northern hemisphere right now, but.....how about releases at ski area lodges?! I'm going to try for one today; check with the lodge owners first, of course. But the common area is someplace people hang out and might be interested in picking up something to read while they rest, wait for their kids, wait for their parents, wait for the paramedics :) (that may be me, today - but I brought a book for myself, too!).

Any thoughts?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
OK, I guess this only valid for those of us in the northern hemisphere right now, but.....how about releases at ski area lodges?! I'm going to try for one today; check with the lodge owners first, of course. But the common area is someplace people hang out and might be interested in picking up something to read while they rest, wait for their kids, wait for their parents, wait for the paramedics :) (that may be me, today - but I brought a book for myself, too!).

Any thoughts?
Profile Image
Which area are you going to?

I think ski areas are fabulous release zones. People are always reading in the lodges. I always take a couple books along in case anyone gets tired/cold/hurt and just wants to sit by the fire. Last year, theharvestqueen and I left about 45 books at our local area (Anthony Lakes) and none were journalled. I did see many barstaff reading the books so we thought of the zone as a success. This year, we have had much more success with journal entries, about 3/10.

I've also left a few books at Mt. Bachelor's base areas and had at least one catch there.

At the end of the month we are taking a long overdue weekend in Rossland, B.C. to snowboard Red Mountain. I will finally get to release a few books in Canada.

We may also get to either Big Sky or Whistler at the end of the season. What a great winter this has been!

Profile Image
Close to home and cheap. I just started snowboarding this winter and still don't have the stamina for a big trip - even going for all day just about kills me!
Profile Image
My only mountain release.
An anonymous finder got it!
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/1025137
In the lodge, between 2000 and 2500 meter...
Profile Image
Great photo!!

One day I will ski on another continent, I hope. Labmomnm, I think it's lovely you're snowboarding. I hope you had a great time.

My local area is very cheap as well. I definitely have to get in better shape before we go to any "real" mountains.

I was going to post links to our ski area catches, bt I must've done something wrong. I'll try again later.

Profile Image
Beautiful place! And I bet I could get out of that lift without wiping out :) Got scuffed up a bit yesterday coming off the plain old chair lift. Sigh.

And thanks, LarkOnapost, for the pat on the back. Most of the people I work with think I have a screw loose for taking up boarding at my somewhat advanced age!
Profile Image
LMNM, getting off the dern lift is by far the worst part of learning. And I don't think you are so advanced in age for the sport. Three of my friends took it up at ages 48, 49, and 50! (Now that's brave!)

I just logged in and found this still on the screen!
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/1217993
Profile Image

Great idea!

I always feel sorry for those people who don't ski but go to be with their family. They always seem so bored! Next time I go skiing I'm going to take some books to release!
Profile Image
I released at a local ski hill today, wasn't planning on it, but had to go pick up the kid's.. remebered this challenge so I grabbed a book from the back and wala!
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/1318749/
Profile Image
My daughter's youth group is snow-tubing this afternoon, and I volunteered to go up early to pick up tickets for about 25 people. So I released a book I had in the car, ready to go.
This was not a themed release, but if anyone tubing today is tired of cold weather they could read about warm, tropical weather. The story takes place in Hawaii, and is called Eden Burning.
http://bookcrossing.com/---/1212555

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.