corner corner 2016 Canada Days release challenge - June 24 to July 4 2016 (POST IN RELEASE THREAD)

Forum | << Release Challenges | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

2016 Canada Days release challenge - June 24 to July 4 2016 (POST IN RELEASE THREAD)

Please post your releases in this thread:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/531526

It's never too early to find books for this challenge even though we have more than 5 months before we start releasing them. The special theme this year is French Canadian literature or books that deal with the relationship between French and English speakers. I have some suggestions to start off with.

Governor General's Literary Awards
Every year the Governor General's Literary Awards are given for English and French works. This link will take you to the list of all books that have won the French language awards since 1959:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_General's_Award_for_French-language_fiction
One of the English awards is for translation of a French language book into English. Here are the books that have won for the last 10 years:
2006 Vetivier by Joel des Rosiers, translated by Hugh Hazelton
2007 Augustino and the Choir of Destruction by Marie-Claire Blais, translated by Nigel Spencer
2008 Nikolski by Nicolas Dickner, translated by Lazer Lederhendler
2009 Pieces of Me by Charlotte Gingras, translated by Susan Ouriou
2010 Forests by Wajdi Mouawad, translated by Linda Gaboriau
2011 Partita for Glenn Gould by Georges Leroux, translated by Donald Winkler
2012 Mai at the Predator's Ball by Marie-Claire Blais, translated by Nigel Spencer
2013 The Major Verbs by Pierre Nepveu, translated by Donald Winkler
2014 Paul-Emile Borduas: A Critical Biography by Francois-Marc Gagnon, translated by Peter Feldsten
2015 Twenty-One Cardinals by Jocelyne Saucier, translated by Rhonda Mullins

CBC List
CBC has published a list of 15 Must-Read Canadian translations:
http://www.cbc.ca/---/15-canadian-translations-you-have-to-read.html

Miscellaneous Books (suggestions welcome)
Two Solitudes by Hugh Maclennan
Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny
Some Great Thing by Lawrence Hill
My October by Claire Holden Rothman
Louis Riel: A Comic Strip Biography by Chester Brown
Bannock, Beans and Black Tea by J. H. Gallant
The Setting Lake Sun by J. R. Leveille
Next Episode by Hubert Aquin

Miscellaneous Authors (again suggestions welcome)
Marie-Claire Blais
Anne Hebert
Jacques Poulin
Ringuet
Gabrielle Roy
Michel Tremblay

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Please post your releases in this thread:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/531526

It's never too early to find books for this challenge even though we have more than 5 months before we start releasing them. The special theme this year is French Canadian literature or books that deal with the relationship between French and English speakers. I have some suggestions to start off with.

Governor General's Literary Awards
Every year the Governor General's Literary Awards are given for English and French works. This link will take you to the list of all books that have won the French language awards since 1959:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_General's_Award_for_French-language_fiction
One of the English awards is for translation of a French language book into English. Here are the books that have won for the last 10 years:
2006 Vetivier by Joel des Rosiers, translated by Hugh Hazelton
2007 Augustino and the Choir of Destruction by Marie-Claire Blais, translated by Nigel Spencer
2008 Nikolski by Nicolas Dickner, translated by Lazer Lederhendler
2009 Pieces of Me by Charlotte Gingras, translated by Susan Ouriou
2010 Forests by Wajdi Mouawad, translated by Linda Gaboriau
2011 Partita for Glenn Gould by Georges Leroux, translated by Donald Winkler
2012 Mai at the Predator's Ball by Marie-Claire Blais, translated by Nigel Spencer
2013 The Major Verbs by Pierre Nepveu, translated by Donald Winkler
2014 Paul-Emile Borduas: A Critical Biography by Francois-Marc Gagnon, translated by Peter Feldsten
2015 Twenty-One Cardinals by Jocelyne Saucier, translated by Rhonda Mullins

CBC List
CBC has published a list of 15 Must-Read Canadian translations:
http://www.cbc.ca/---/15-canadian-translations-you-have-to-read.html

Miscellaneous Books (suggestions welcome)
Two Solitudes by Hugh Maclennan
Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny
Some Great Thing by Lawrence Hill
My October by Claire Holden Rothman
Louis Riel: A Comic Strip Biography by Chester Brown
Bannock, Beans and Black Tea by J. H. Gallant
The Setting Lake Sun by J. R. Leveille
Next Episode by Hubert Aquin

Miscellaneous Authors (again suggestions welcome)
Marie-Claire Blais
Anne Hebert
Jacques Poulin
Ringuet
Gabrielle Roy
Michel Tremblay

Profile Image
I will try to do better with putting the Canadian ones aside for releasing
Profile Image
Thanks for all the names, gypsysmom. I have become familiar with a number of them in the last few years already because of the Canada Days Release Challenge! So thanks for that, too! :)
Profile Image
Thank you for the link. I already have some of the titles on the list. I've started looking for new restaurants to check out. I'll need new shoes! My Patagonia's have seen better days.
Profile Image
though we will be travelling during this time, so we will start releasing in Norway before coming home. Pity that we'll be finished Scotland by the time it starts. I'd hoped to maybe get a day or two in there as well!
Profile Image
though we will be travelling during this time, so we will start releasing in Norway before coming home. Pity that we'll be finished Scotland by the time it starts. I'd hoped to maybe get a day or two in there as well!

Welcome. I think Norway will be a first for a Canada Days release.
Profile Image

I'm in too!

I thought I would check into the forum to see if you had anything up yet for the challenge. Three months ago? Holy smokes. I'm impressed. :)
Profile Image
..but I've got one set aside to start with.
Profile Image
Yup, busy getting books ready! Don't think I have any for this years' special theme... That's a tough one.
Profile Image
Last year's winner, catsalive, is travelling so JudySlump612 has very kindly agreed to host this year's sweepstakes. Head on over to sign up because it is such fun when the books start rolling in if you are the winner:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/530888
Profile Image

I'm in!

Have a couple of books ready to go and will be looking for more to release. Thanks for hosting this again Gypsysmom!
Profile Image
It wouldn't have been the same without you.
Profile Image
Bookhunter21 & I are starting to plan our annual visit to the Canadian Consulate here in Minneapolis. I've got quite a few books stacked up and ready, but alas, not a single French Canadian book. Some of the ones you list I've borrowed (on your recommendation) from the library, but I don't remember ever seeing any available at local book outlets. Unless you're willing to count Inspector Gamache...?
Profile Image
Bookhunter21 & I are starting to plan our annual visit to the Canadian Consulate here in Minneapolis. I've got quite a few books stacked up and ready, but alas, not a single French Canadian book. Some of the ones you list I've borrowed (on your recommendation) from the library, but I don't remember ever seeing any available at local book outlets. Unless you're willing to count Inspector Gamache...?

I think we had a discussion when I first proposed this theme that some of the Gamache books might qualify especially if they had a subplot about French Canadian way of life or language issues. Since almost all of the books weave French Canadians into the story line some way or other I have decided that I will allow any of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache books to be released for the special theme. Hopefully that will make it easier for the non-Canadians to find a book or two to release that qualifies. (Maybe even some of the Canadians as well).
Profile Image
Looking at your list I don't seem to have too many but i would never miss this challenge.
Profile Image
I don't have any themed books, but do have others by Canadian authors. Some I want to read first so will probably be saved for next year.
Profile Image
Nice to see you all back.
Profile Image
I hope I'm not too late. Now I have to find my book stash that is missing in the upheaval of a ongoing renovation.....sigh.
Profile Image
Never too late to join this challenge unless it is after July 4th. Welcome aboard.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.