'Snap' book release game

Forum » Release Challenges | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
So, I had an idea for a new release game, based on the kids card game Snap. Here's how it works;

I start off the game by releasing a book, posting here to say I released Book A by suchandsuch
The next person claims Snap. They then have 24 hours to release a book that matches book A (same keyword in title/author name - not counting 'the' 'a' etc...), and post about it here
The next person to claim has 24 hours to release a matching book to the last one...
and so on.

So, for example,
I release: The End of Faith
next person releases: The End of Mr Y
next person releases: Mr Nobody's Eyes by michael morpurgo
next person releases; Jurassic park by Michael crichton
and one and on...

* you have to claim the Snap, so that everyone else knows you're planning a release (don't say the book title at this point, otherwise people can plan in advance) - claims are first come first served
* after claiming, you have 24 hours to make the release and tell us about it with a link to the book.
* after 24 hours, if you didn't report back your release, your claim is invalid and other people can claim in your place. So, after 24 hours, the snap is back up for grabs. Until someone grabs it, a delayed release report will still count. But once someone else has claimed it, it's theirs (for 24 hours at least...)
* you can't snap twice in a row - you can't snap your own release, as it were
* wild releases only, no controlled releases

Words that can snap:
* Flipping between plural/singular of words is allowed - so if I release The Beach, you can release Beaches (and vise versa)
*flipping between tenses of a word is allowed - so if I release 'The Slap' you can release 'Slapped by an invisible hand' (and vise versa)
*splitting and forming compound words is allowed - so if i release 'The Sea', you can release 'The seagull' (and vise versa). But you CANNOT release 'The Seasons,' becasue that is a separate word that just happens to contain the same letters - not a compound. Compound words are amalgamations of two words, both retaining their meaning, to form one new word.
*embedded words are NOT allowed
* subtitles: whether the subtitle is available for snapping or not is up to the person who releases the book. If you think the subtitle of your release is a significant part of the title, please include that information in your post. the same applies to the inclusion / exclusion of illustrators, adapters, collection editors et al.
* non-english books are welcome to - use a translation of the title to snap with, and provide us with the translation when you post so that people can use that to snap back ;) So, if I release The Prisoner, you are welcome to snap that with Harry Potter et le Prisonnier d'Azkaban, and vise versa
* you cannot snap a book with the same book (but repeats of books from earlier in the game are fine)
* keywords with title/author only, not 'the','a','and' etc.

>> If you are snapping, please check it is on the most recent book. The game now tuns over multiple pages (the woes of popularity, eh?) so be sure to view the latest one (depending on the way you view the forum posts) <<

It's just for fun, no points or prizes or the like, though there is a list of the books released for this game here http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/471178 (maintained by Wolfie, thankyou!)
and....
I will provide a prize for the first person who wild releases a snap game book by strapping it to a duck. (Without hurting the duck. Duck-torture will be punished with a life-long snap ban.)

you don't need to sign up or anything - just jump in when you can

What do you guys all think? I'd love any feedback
The specific rules of this game have become very much a community work, everyone throwing in their two cents as any issues or ideas arise, so do feel free to contribute.

any changes/clarifications we can make as they come up or as people ask questions. I'm glad people like the idea!

There used to be a bookswapping website based on the same idea, which I'm sure was run by a bookcrosser - does anyone else remember this? Is it still going?

wingDavros-10wing 7 yrs ago
I'll play
Sounds like a bit of fun.

Sounds like fun

... but think it needs to be elaborated to make some rules clearer, and would like to raise the question of how to handle non-english books.

First, about the non-english titles. You could
- forbid them (bad idea, I think...)
- just say that a word in another language is another word regardless of meaning (which basically would mean that switching languages would be hardly possible by title keywords - could still be done by author names)
- allow translations

I'll try to make a suggestion how to deal with the language barrier with allowing translations but without needing to know each language of the world or finding the titles of english editions (if they even exist) for each book:

(suggestion)
If someone wants to use a book with a title that's not in english that bookcrosser has to provide an appropriate translation of the title together with the actual non-english title. For the next "snap" only this translation is valid even if there would be other legitimate translations of the same title.
(/suggestion)

Annotations:

- Providing one translation would keep the relevant words for the challenge definite and english at all times.
- It would also resolve the problem that other languages are structured different. For example, unlike english, german has many compound words: While "Meeting point" would fit "Turning point", the german equivalent "Treffpunkt" wouldn't fit "Wendepunkt".
- There are english books with non-english titles, and non-english books with english titles.

More questions:

- May one person do several subsequent releases (guess not)?

- It is necessary to report back the release within of 24 hours, or can it be done a bit later (in case you don't go out only to do the release in the next park it might be a bit difficult to report back very fast. You know, not everyone has mobile internet access working well with BC.)

- what happens if someone fails to do the promised report within of 24 hours for unexpected circumstances?

- May one person do several subsequent releases (guess not)?

- It is necessary to report back the release within of 24 hours, or can it be done a bit later (in case you don't go out only to do the release in the next park it might be a bit difficult to report back very fast. You know, not everyone has mobile internet access working well with BC.)

- what happens if someone fails to do the promised report within of 24 hours for unexpected circumstances?

OK - I hadn't thought of non-english titles :) I think you're right, if you release a non-english book you should also supply a title translation (If the title doesn't translate into english exactly, just translate to the best of your ability), and those words will be the ones that can be 'snapped'.

No, you can't snap twice in a row - you can't snap your own release, as it were

I think the 24 hour limit is part of the game, (remember all the other players are waiting on you), so you have 24 hours from making a claim to release the book and report back. You will need to think about that when you claim - will you get a chance to get the book, release it and get to a computer? I don't have mobile internet access, but I think 24 hours is a reasonable time without slowing down the pace to much.
after 24 hours, if you didn't report back your release, your claim is invalid and other people can claim in your place.

I'll put this in the top post so it's easy to find to :) I will release the first book early this evening, and any other changes/clarifications we can make as they come up or as people ask questions. I'm glad people like the idea!

by Simon Stephenson
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10140535/

let the snapping begin ;)

Does the keyword have to be an exact match, or can it be embedded?

Off to look some more...

Off to look some more...

I reckon embedded is ok :)

Off to look some more...

I'll release a book for this tomorrow. :)

Are you _really_ sure you want to allow embedded words? As in "arbitrary short word that's just randomly the same as an arbitrary letter sequence in another word"? The example wasn't about embedded words, though, it was just about declination (plural vs singular, but still the same word). This is something entirely different, and it's not a subset either, although it gets mixed up a lot at BC challenges.

If embedded words are generally allowed, I'm out.

Sorry for the inconvenience, then. I was so sure that embedded words would counter the whole idea behind the challenge that I didn't even ask. I should have expected that, though.

Are you _really_ sure you want to allow embedded words? As in "arbitrary short word that's just randomly the same as an arbitrary letter sequence in another word"?
If embedded words are generally allowed, I'm out.
Sorry for the inconvenience, then. I was so sure that embedded words would counter the whole idea behind the challenge that I didn't even ask. I should have expected that, though.

well, hey, I didn't mean to upset anyone :) I'll be honest, I wasn't sure about allowing embedded words, but I'd rather allow them then have books that don't get snapped.
I didn't consider allowing declination, it's not a term I've come across before.

I don't mind where we go with embedded words / declination, what do other people think?

I have only managed one wild release in the past few weeks and this might encourage me to do more (if I have any books that fit, of course!)

allowing plural/singular variations in any case.
I also find embedded words less great for this idea. Not even sure why.

It really has to be tried, to see how it goes and if we get stuck, you can consider to introduce embedded words. Perhaps only in case there is nobody to 'snap' within a certain period of time?

My problem with this game is he releasing within 24 hours. I might follow the progress of this game but not participate too often as I can not promis to be able to go out and release any given day. I could 'snap' and promise to release within a week. I have always to drive some distance before being able to release a book and usually try to combine various errands/reasons to drive. (I can't drive several miles just to drop a book somewhere in the wild
Otherwise I find it a brilliant idea!

Vekiki 7 yrs ago
RE: How about

It really has to be tried, to see how it goes and if we get stuck, you can consider to introduce embedded words.

Yes, that's a good idea - lets say just pural-variations for now, and if we need to introduce embedded words we can maybe do that later.

I do see the point about wanting longer than 24 hours, but the whole point of the game is to be quick fire really. Like you, I like to plan releases and go somewhere special to make them, often lots of books at a go - but I wanted to try to use this game to try to indroduce hassle-free releasing, dropping off a book just where-ever I am going that day - on my way to work, or outside the supermarket etc.
anyway, people are welcome to drop in and out of the game as they can, so hopefully you'll be able to join in occasionally :)

Well, I decided to do one more post about the embedded thing... then I'll be quiet about it, however it turns out. However, I kind of feel that I need to explain a bit more why I'm so opposed. There are two reasons, and one of them probably originates in the fact that I come from a part of the world where languages and language concepts clash at every second border and very many people speak several languages.

All grammatical forms of a word, please.

English is very poor in word forms and, e.g. for a noun, basically knows only two of them: The base form, and the suffix -s which is used for both plural and genitive (the latter often with an apostrophe, even). However, other languages are quite rich in forms, going up to 30 and more for a noun and more than a hundred for an adjective, and which often change some part of the word base as well. For an example, in german the plural of Buch (book) is Bücher - you see that the u mutates to an ü (this is a general rule that an u mutates to an ü in the plural form, so it's not some weird exception).

Well, I can tell exactly why: Because it's not the same word. It's like snapping a card #12 with a card #2 (Disclaimer: I know the standard cardset does have neither of those, but you get the idea.). You see, there isn't really a sea in Jean-Jaques Rousseau, it's just by chance that the letter sequence s-e-a is included in that name. However, there _is_ a sea in seagull, since that word is actually made by combining sea and gull. This kind of "compound words" is rather uncommon in english, because in english most such terms are written in two or more words. In other languages, like german, compound words are just the standard way to combine anything into a term (see the meeting point/turning point example in my earlier post).

Apart from the content discussion, i.e. the fact that the embedded word is not the same word as the long one, I dislike embedded words because it's very different between languages whether they are rather common or very rare. Also, a single matching word can occur very often and with that change the challenge rating of the challenge drastically - but only for one language. For example, some years ago a challenge about plant names ended up in that someone in Sweden released heaps and stacks of books when most other people had run out of stock - all with the same word: "en". Well, there _is_ some plant named "en" in swedish - it's juniper in english. But "en" is also one of two words for "a" or "an", a suffix equivalent to english article "the", and a letter sequence included in many other swedish words. Which means that probably far more than a half of swedish book titles include the letter sequence "en", while not a single one was about junipers.

My problem with this game is he releasing within 24 hours. I might follow the progress of this game but not participate too often as I can not promis to be able to go out and release any given day. (...) (I can't drive several miles just to drop a book somewhere in the wild.

Well, I already had found my own solution for that: I wouldn't "snap" when I see the title, but not earlier than when I'm sure I can keep the timeline - i.e. before I actually go out somewhere where I can release the book. If that means that the word is snapped away by someone else, so be it. There will be another one, and this is not a competition anyway.

Well, I decided to do one more post about the embedded thing...

Good! it's interesting :)

I'm happy to incorperate all your suggestions, all seems sensible and fair to me :)

I'll probably release my book when I go to lunch in an hour or so...and I'm glad to see that it still qualifies since it's a plural. :)

Thank you for the clarifications Vekiki - they seem reasonable to me.

me neither :) but it's good to get these things sorted out early!

I don't find this conversation controversial; to me it is more like 'working things out together', co-operation on a great idea that vekiki came with, all very exciting!

by Louise Levathes
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10344125

Who's next? :)

Snap!
I've got the perfect book to release tomorrow.

I like how it turned out and I'll definitely participate from time to time. Let's hope a few others do as well :)

Not going to snap the current book yet... I'm quite sure I have something appropriate but not sure I'll be able to release it today, even less given that open-air release points are kind of out due to weather conditions (currently: light rain and wind speeds up to 55 km/h, forecast for tomorrow: strong rain and 70 km/h...).

I've got a couple of questions

1) I consider leaving a book at an OBCZ a wild release. Would you?

2) Just to totally clarify things in my confused brain, I would say "snap", then make the release within 24 hours, and then report back on the release within the same 24 hour period. I wouldn't say "snap, this is my book".

I've got a couple of questions

1) I consider leaving a book at an OBCZ a wild release. Would you?

2) Just to totally clarify things in my confused brain, I would say "snap", then make the release within 24 hours, and then report back on the release within the same 24 hour period. I wouldn't say "snap, this is my book".

OBCZs are fine, I'd call that wild. a controlled release is, to me, giving (or posting) a book to another person, where as a wild release is leaving it for anyone to find.

Yes, you would come along and claim the snap, not telling us what with (like Davros just did). Release the book, THEN tell us - that means that people can't plan in advance. Like in the card game, you don't see what your partner plays until he plays it (there are so many holes in that analogy, but oh well)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10363730

BTW The title page also lists Lisa Church as the "reteller"/adaptor of the novel and Dan Andreasen as the illustrator. Even though they are not mentioned on the cover I guess they'd be included as words/names you can snap on?

Vekiki - any thoughts about snapping on the same word twice in a row? (From now on, anyway...)

Seems to me it would be ok if you set limits (like twice but not three times) so we don't get "stuck" on the same word for too long.

I don't remember the card game too well - can players do the same thing (for instance, kings, or spades) multiple times in a row?

As I recall from playing snap as a child, each player doesn't know what cards they have, and the cards are picked up and placed on the bottom of your pile when you successfully snap.

The cards are dealt face down to all players so they don't know what cards they have in the pile. The players then in turn place the top card from their pile face up on the centre pile. When you see two cards that match you yell "snap" and take all the cards from the centre pile, adding them face down to the bottom of your pile.

You then restart the game by turning over the first card from your pile and play continues around the circle.

So if you are playing with just one deck, you can have four cards, and thus two snaps in a row on the same value card.

So I don't see any issue with snapping on the same word several times in a row, but perhaps a rule that you can't use the same book as one already used in the sequence might be applicable.

BTW A more popular version of the game in my family was "grab", where instead of saying "snap" you had to grab the pile from the middle of the group when two cards of the same face value were placed on it. I think it was more popular because if you were too slow you still had the exteme pleasure of slamming your hand down as hard as you could on the hand of the person who beat you to the grab, and get away with it!

winghyphen8wing 7 yrs ago
Ouch.
BTW A more popular version of the game in my family was "grab", where instead of saying "snap" you had to grab the pile from the middle of the group when two cards of the same face value were placed on it. I think it was more popular because if you were too slow you still had the exteme pleasure of slamming your hand down as hard as you could on the hand of the person who beat you to the grab, and get away with it!

In my house that might have meant scratches and/or broken fingernails. Not on *purpose*, mind you, but still a bit hazardous.

Vekiki - any thoughts about snapping on the same word twice in a row? (From now on, anyway...)

I don't see a problem - the actual word doesn't matter as the new title will contain new words - but agree with Davros that the same book should not be allowed.

BTW The title page also lists Lisa Church as the "reteller"/adaptor of the novel and Dan Andreasen as the illustrator. Even though they are not mentioned on the cover I guess they'd be included as words/names you can snap on?

hmm, now, I'm not sure about that - are we including translators, illustrators, editors or whoever else may get a title page mention? What about sub-titles.
What do people think?

I mention the "reteller" as the book has been extensively rewritten for younger readers, so in this case Lisa Church is just as much the author as the original author, Jules Verne.

As for the illustrator, with children's books the illustrator is often as important as, if not more important than, the author in the enjoyment of the tale.

However, I guess if they are only mentioned on the title page, and not on the cover itself, they wouldn't count.

I mention the "reteller" as the book has been extensively rewritten for younger readers, so in this case Lisa Church is just as much the author as the original author, Jules Verne.

As for the illustrator, with children's books the illustrator is often as important as, if not more important than, the author in the enjoyment of the tale.

However, I guess if they are only mentioned on the title page, and not on the cover itself, they wouldn't count.

I agree with you about the importance of some of those other people, but once you start adding info from the title page it starts getting pretty complicated. I think maybe just names shown on the cover? What does everyone else think?

I agree with you about the importance of some of those other people, but once you start adding info from the title page it starts getting pretty complicated. I think maybe just names shown on the cover? What does everyone else think?

Leave it at authors and actual titles. Otherwise we just end up snapping the Queen of Hearts with a King of Spades because they both have an eye, figurally speaking.

IMHO translators are not authors, neither are illustrators or people who just edited the book or added a small preface. I make an exception for illustrators of picture books where the pictures don't just illustrate the text but are an important piece of art often more relevant than the text - in that case I see both the artist and the writer as authors.

Amazon will often list everyone who had his hands in publishing the book, for whatever reason (maybe to make it occur in more search results), and too many bookcrossers believe in Amazon being a God whose Word Must Not Be Questioned (hey people - it _is_ possible to edit titles and authors after using the Amazon search, just try it! They can look so much better without duplicates, additional misspellings, order numbers, names of publishing companies, and the included information that the title refers to a book or even a novel!).

"A novel" isn't even a subtitle in my eyes. It's just a little bit of information about what kind of book you have in your hands. Same is valid for stuff like "The Lost Penny. A Detective Worthless Mystery". The title of the book would be "The Lost Penny". However, it will be difficult to draw the line which kind of subtitles are part of the title and which aren't.

However, there's another point I'd like to address. It came up with the current snappping: T02... posted "Phyliss" as author's name. Well, it turned up it was just a typo as the actually registered book spells it "Phyllis" as usual, but there might be another one spelled "Phyliss". Or: One of the most common german surnames is Maier, Mayer, Meier or Meyer - four spellings, but only one pronouncation. Does spelling matter or may it be a slightly different spelling as long as it's clearly the same name?

I would vote in favor of allowing spelling variants. I wouldn't go as far as unifying John and Johannes, though - although they are different language forms of the same name: All Johns turning up in english Bible editions are called Johannes in the german editions.

O well, are languages ever difficult...

hmm, now, I'm not sure about that - are we including translators, illustrators, editors or whoever else may get a title page mention? What about sub-titles.
What do people think?

I don't know about subtitles. It's tempting just to give us more options, but some books have very long subtitles...and some have subtitles like "A Novel". Seems like it's simpler to just go with the main title before the colon, but that' s just my 2 cents. Let's see what other opinions turn up!

wingT02S03B11D20wing 7 yrs ago
Snap!
I will be releasing a book today after work.

I released Sea Jade, by Phyliss Whitney.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10366067

wingekorrenwing 7 yrs ago
Snap ;)
Well, seems I have to break my "snap only if I know that I really will go and release soon" rule. Lost two chances already not because of lack of books but because I didn't want to snap them until shortly before going somewhere....

Three different books available. Will choose one spontaneously tomorrow ;)

How about snapping on the words on the book cover first, and only if nobody snapped on that for a certain time, say 3 days, than giving a bit more space and allow other words/names to be given to snap on?
(For that would be the same as giving a clue if nobody guesses a riddle)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9884907

Word snapped was the first name Phyllis. On the cover the name was abbreviated to P. D. James, as usual with this author (In case someone claims that the name has to be written out, I could throw in another book released a few minutes later as a replacement).

This was actually an english edition, so there's no need to supply a translation.

wingAnnimanniwing 7 yrs ago
Snap!
I came across this thread earlier today and thought it a wonderful idea. How lucky that I'm able to snap straight away, too :)

Book info to follow tomorrow.

Ok, having read over the various comments, I think the best thing to do is leave it to the judgement of the person releasing the book - if they think the ilustrator (etc) is significant enough to warrent snappability, they should include tht information in their initial post. Ditto any subtitles. That will lead to some varibility, but then book can be very different things!

I think the best thing to do is leave it to the judgement of the person releasing the book

Ooh, flexibility - what a concept! ;)

Sounds good to me. Now I'm just waiting to see what Annimanni releases.

(And I learned something new from this thread, since I hadn't even thought about P.D. James's full name before.)

(And I learned something new from this thread, since I hadn't even thought about P.D. James's full name before.)

Wikipedia helps ;-)

Some know about that already... I keep my own very sophisticated shelf statistics (which, apart from satisfying my own curiosity, yields some useful data about catch rates and what influences them).

To have all books of one author counted together at least for the more common authors, the statistics system includes a list of common pseudonyms, spelling variants and abbreviations. When maintaining that list, I must have looked up P. D. James' full name at some point, and when I saw the book to snap it was like "huh, wasn't Phyllis also the P in P. D. James?". It was ;)

Now let's wait what Finland has to offer as the next challenge ;) Probably something that looks like gibberish ("letter salad" as we call it in german) to the non-finnish eye :P

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6842060/

This was a Finnish edition and the Finnish title is Keisari II: Kuninkaiden kuolema (the snapped word is kuolema = death), which is a direct translation of the original title. It's part of the Emperor (Keisari) series with The Death of Kings (Kuninkaiden kuolema) being the title of this particular book.

Who's next?

ETA: So ekorren, is it "letter salad"? :D

Snap :P
The difficulty wasn't to find a book I knew I had on my shelf, the difficulty was to find the actual book in my boxes. I'm blind, apparently :P

I'm off for the afternoon, will report back in the evening (European timezones).

ETA: So ekorren, is it "letter salad"? :D

Sure :P

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10096949

German title: König Arthur und die Ritter der Tafelrunde

Word snapped was "King".

I doubt anyone will, but just in case someone has books by Käthe Recheis on the shelf which were registered before the site changeover in May 2010: Käthe Recheis is one of the authors which fell victim to a database error, changing the author name for all books registered before the changeover. While for most authors this only meant to introduce some spelling error (like Earnets Hemingway - What _are_ earnets anyway?), for Käthe Reicheis it went much worse: All books registered before the changeover got credited to Kathy Reichs. Who definitely is someone else and probably doesn't even think of writing history novels for teens...

wingDiane-Fraserwing 7 yrs ago
Snap!
Will release tomorrow :)

The Simple Soul AND other stories http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9820742/

who will be next ?

ETA it's by Catherine Cookson

who will be next ?

Hmmm... I don't want to be a spoilsport, just to clear that point... it says in the rules that it has to be

> same keyword in title/author name - not counting 'the' 'a' etc...

I would see "and" as a non-keyword like "the" or "a", so that wouldn't count. Are there different opinions specifically about "and"?

From later discussions i thought it had been agreed that any word on the cover counted and that it was up to the person doing the snap to decide what was significant. I am just pleased it got me out to do a wild release. Happy to in with what is agreed for any future releases :)

From later discussions i thought it had been agreed that any word on the cover counted

I've been updating the rules in the top post as we go, for easy reference.

I think you are remembering the discussion of subtitles. We have never considered using the thes/ands/its to snap with - it's keywords only. Though of course what is or is not a keyword is somewhat subjective

who will be next ?

Hmmm... I don't want to be a spoilsport, just to clear that point... it says in the rules that it has to be

> same keyword in title/author name - not counting 'the' 'a' etc...

I would see "and" as a non-keyword like "the" or "a", so that wouldn't count. Are there different opinions specifically about "and"?

I don't see 'and' as a keyword, but never mind. We'll let the release stand and move on from there!

I don't see 'and' as a keyword, but never mind. We'll let the release stand and move on from there!

Thanks Vekiki. I have obviously got confused over all the discussions and didn't re-read your initial post. I took that book away with me this weekend hoping it would fit in with the game and was really pleased when I thought it did.

This game is fun :)

This game is fun :)

ah, it doesn't matter :) the important thing is the fun!

Snap!
Will release the next book tomorrow morning on my way to work.

Tales From Nowhere: Unexpected STORIES From Unexpected Places (Lonely Planet) Edited by Don George

wingNancyNovawing 7 yrs ago
Snap!
Book will be released at the train station on the morning commute.

and it's a very wordy title/subtitle, so hopefully that will help with the next SNAP!

Scorpion Down: Sunk by the Soviets, Buried by the Pentagon: The Untold STORY of the USS Scorpion by Ed Offey
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10353142/

wingkiwiinenglandwing 7 yrs ago
snap
details to follow

RE: snap
details to follow

Damn, I was half a minute too late... ;)

That's what you get from checking all options and making sure the book is ready to release instead of just grabbing one...

That's what you get from checking all options and making sure the book is ready to release instead of just grabbing one...

I didn't just grab one...

I think you have to know exactly what's on your avl pile for this game...

yeah, luckily for me I had a big tidy up over the Christmas period.

I'm sure it'll all settle down in the wash. I've tried to snap a couple of times before but always got beaten, so this is the first time I've been able to play.

It's great that so many people want to do quick wild releasing all over the world.

OT to pam99 - the Convict Boy was put in the post to you on Saturday.

I do ;-)

Actually, I knew immediately one book that would fit - I had recently registered "The Scorpion God" in english - but hesitated because the release point I had in mind near the post office (have to go there anyway, to drop off some RABCKs) isn't the best for english books, so I wanted to check whether there's something in german available as well.

So I searched my AVL-list more systematically before I decided to go with the first one anyway - and when I wanted to post the "Snap" Kiwi had posted hers just a few seconds earlier. Well, that's how it goes ;)

Now you just have to wait until you see what Kiwi posts - maybe it can be used yet :-)

Well the book is gone - let's see if it checks in eventually :-)

Well the book is gone - let's see if it checks in eventually :-)

fingers crossed.

Sooner or later we will run into that someone misses the 24 hours deadline... there may be many reasons, some of them not even the bookcrosser's own fault, which can keep people from doing the planned release or only from reporting back in time. Since BC doesn't show the exact time of a forum posting any more, we need some way to see when the 24 hours are over. Luckily, the way how BC shows the times does allow _that_ although hiding the time of the posting from us.

BC shows the time of a forum posting in the form "m minutes ago", "h hours ago", "d days ago" and so on. Fact is that these are not rounded numbers, but truncated. That means:

"15 minutes ago" ranges from 15 minutes and 0 seconds to 15 minutes and 59 seconds.
"23 hours ago" ranges up to 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds.
"1 day ago" is everything between 24 hours and 48 hours.

At the very moment the posting is 24 hours old, the display switches to "1 day", until it's 48 hours old. So - as soon as the forum displays "1 day ago" for the last snap but no release has been reported, it's allowed to override it with an own one.

(Irrelevant fact: Since the time of the posting is rounded to minutes when saved, it may still be off by up to 30 seconds. Anyway - 30 seconds won't make a difference. If they did the same with hours, it would ;) )

At the very moment the posting is 24 hours old, the display switches to "1 day", until it's 48 hours old. So - as soon as the forum displays "1 day ago" for the last snap but no release has been reported, it's allowed to override it with an own one.

yup

No Way DOWN: Life and Death on K2 by Graham Bowley

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9990096/

snap!
Have one for sure, may still choose another one, though...

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9894569

German title: Weit ist der Weg zum Glück.

Word snapped was: Way.

Sappy romance from the first half of the 20th century. One of those books you would have to pay me if you want me to read them... however, there _are_ enough people out there who like them.

*snap*

Released Sadhana A Way to God: Christian Exercises in Eastern Form by Anthony de Mello
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10373224/

Word Snapped was "Way"

Feel free to use subtitle as well as title.

lils74 7 yrs ago
I'll snap
...must have something....

Well I know I wouldn't have had anything that I could use to snap on a book like this.
I've always considered that if you feel like doing some exercise you should lie down until you are feeling better!

I've always considered that if you feel like doing some exercise you should lie down until you are feeling better!

only if you are already lieing down. Don't waste excess energy getting into a lieing down postition...

so lils74's claim is invalid I assume, and we are still using esparks book "Sadhana A Way to God: Christian Exercises in Eastern Form" by Anthony de Mello

so lils74's claim is invalid I assume, and we are still using esparks book "Sadhana A Way to God: Christian Exercises in Eastern Form" by Anthony de Mello

I'll just snap that one, then.

However, if lils74 reports back before I do, please proceed from lils74's release.

However, if lils74 reports back before I do, please proceed from lils74's release.

I disagree with this suggestion. I say we take your snap as the official snap. It's the 24 hour snappiness of the game that's part of the fun, and the rules clearly set that out.

I disagree with this suggestion. I say we take your snap as the official snap. It's the 24 hour snappiness of the game that's part of the fun, and the rules clearly set that out.

I think it goes like this...
after 24 hours, the snap is back up for grabs. Until someone grabs it, a delayed release report will still count. But once someone else has claimed it, it's theirs (for 24 hours at least...)
:) yes?

after 24 hours, the snap is back up for grabs. Until someone grabs it, a delayed release report will still count. But once someone else has claimed it, it's theirs (for 24 hours at least...)

Sounds good to me.

:) yes?

yes!

Interesting game you came up, vekiki! :)

Interesting game you came up, vekiki! :)

well, it's been a bit of a communal effort to work out the niceties :)

still waiting to be able to join in though! :(

but will actually be heading out this evening instead--in about an hour--and I would have released it then, I thought I would just squeak by, but as I am too late--apologies and please proceed!

as I am too late--apologies

never mind, perhaps you can snap the next one. At least you have the "honour" of being the first person who didn't make the 24 hour deadline!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10095291

German title: Unsern Pfarrer segne Gott... unsre Pfarrfrau gleichermaßen.

Word snapped: God

About lils74: I had expected that lils74 just missed the line for reporting back, not for releasing... well, bad luck. Actually, the reason why you even could snap it was that I wasn't exactly sure when I would release the book at that time ;-)

However, I'll be away for a few days... not sure about internet access, so I'll probably not do any more snapping before next week.

wingT02S03B11D20wing 7 yrs ago
Snap!
Will probably release later tonight.

and that i'll try to pay attention to snap!

I had never heard of this game before, but it looks really fun. As the period of time is quite short, I'll probaby not release in an OBCZ, but somewhere close to my home/work.

Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10380780

Snap!
And I know the perfect place to release it tomorrow as I'm off to the Lifeline Bookfest. With over 2 million (mainly) second-hand books for sale I think it's probably the biggest booksale in the southern hemisphere!

Oops, I mean release today, as it's just after midnight!

"Snow Angels" by Fern Michaels, Marie Bostwick, Janna McMahan and Rosalind Noonan

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10376328

eparks4232 7 yrs ago
Snap!
Thanks! This one was a piece of cake!

catsalive 7 yrs ago
Nice game

Just read the thread and love the way the rules have been refined with no arguments. Good idea, Vekiki. I'll be trying, but was never much good at snap as a child (and as an adult you have to let the children win!).

...the get to say SNAP! I wanted to register and release something. I could have done it with both Angel and snow. LOL!!!

...the get to say SNAP! I wanted to register and release something. LOL!!!

tell me about it! :)

I'm really please so many people are playing though (or trying to play...)

or trying to play...

indeed...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.