Last year we had 18 participants, 202 releases & 10 wild catches from a standing start (I posted the thread on November 30 so nobody could plan, sorry).
This year I'm trying to give people a heads up beforehand, so I'm hoping we can release even more!
Here's the link to last year's challenge: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5872037
Note: since I want to move as many books as possible, I've changed the the rules a bit: the challenge is now to release books that have a the letter "D" beginning a word in the title OR the author's name. So Dean Koontz, John D. Rockfeller, and Charles Dickens will all count.
1) Books must be released during the period from December 1 to December 31, 2009.
* You can post here to say you're joining, or just jump in with your releases. I'm not picky.
2) Any type of release counts: wild releases, controlled releases, books left at OBCZs or sent out as rings/rays, books in bookboxes, books tossed off a plinth or onto the top story of a double-decker bus....
3) Nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs and proper nouns in any language count
* Only the first letter of an acronym/initialism counts- as in D.A.R.E. but not M.A.D.D.
* Articles don't count -- for instance, if the word "the" begins with the letter D in your language, it doesn't qualify. (Besides, you'll have already used up a bunch of your "the" books for Rockdg9's challenge in November, right?)
* If your language doesn't use the same sort of characters as English, it should be a word that begins with the same sound as the letter D in English (in other words, it would be transliterated into a D in for English speakers). I'll have to take your word for it at least 99 and 44/100% of the time, so please play fair! ;)
4) Multi-challenge releases are fine.
5) I want to get as many books out there as we can, so one point per book, regardless of how many D words are in the title. So _Darkness Before Dawn _ and _Double or Die_ only count once each!
6) Starting December 1, post releases in this thread
* Please include release number(s) in the subject line, for example: Release #1
* In the main post, include Title, Author & link to journal entry - something like this:
1. The Star Dancers by Spider & Jeanne Robinson
(For an example, see my first releases below: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/6577013)
7) I'll award prizes for the following..at least.
* the most releases
* the most wild catches (so if you have a catch, please post the link in a new post!)
* at least one random winner chosen from all other participants
8) The hyphen8 rule: I'm not allowed to buy any books specifically for this challenge! But that only applies to me, the rest of you can decide for yourselves. ;)