🇬🇧 London Meet Up Saturday 21st September 2019

Forum » Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
We’ll meeting at the Knights Templar pub in Chancery Lane at 1200 for lunch followed by a release walk along the river

As it’s my weekend off I’m hoping to take a trip to London. Touch wood I can make it Getting the train to Paddington Friday and leave back to Cornwall on Monday 23rd. Will book it all when I get this months pay. I will bring plenty of books to release

May bring a friend along too :-)

I've missed a few now, so have a healthy stack of books!

It's in the diary.

Train and hotel booked. Arriving in London on Friday 20th September and going home on 23rd September

Just need to figure out which books to bring with me to release

I got the train tickets through but will have to check their validity. Hotel booking will be cancelled for sure. Ill be back with an update :-)

Shortbread?

Shortbread?

Haha! Predictive text!! Superbreak have folded :-D

I think I can make it, I'll have to start storing up some books.

My husband has an old friend who has recently married a Brit and moved overseas (we're Canadian). She had been living in the UK for two years (that's how she met her husband) after going over in some sort of group or something... When she and I were chatting at her going away party, she mentioned that she will be looking to meet other people in her area as it seems that most people she knew while living in the UK were other travellers who have since gone back to wherever they came from. My husband thinks the girl in question is a reader, and although I tend to be very private about my bookcrossing I've been toying with the idea of telling her about it as I thought it could be a fun/interesting way for her to meet some more people with similar interests in her new home, if there are meetups nearby.

So, after that big pre-amble... Here are my questions. 1-- She is living in Roehampton. I have never even been to the UK, so I have no real idea, but I understand that's in the London area. Would London be the closest place she'd be likely to find meet-ups? 2-- How often do Bookcrossers in the area typically get together in a group? Do meetups happen on some kind of schedule?

Thanks in advance :) I hope you all enjoy your meetup in September!

My husband has an old friend who has recently married a Brit and moved overseas (we're Canadian). She had been living in the UK for two years (that's how she met her husband) after going over in some sort of group or something... When she and I were chatting at her going away party, she mentioned that she will be looking to meet other people in her area as it seems that most people she knew while living in the UK were other travellers who have since gone back to wherever they came from. My husband thinks the girl in question is a reader, and although I tend to be very private about my bookcrossing I've been toying with the idea of telling her about it as I thought it could be a fun/interesting way for her to meet some more people with similar interests in her new home, if there are meetups nearby.

So, after that big pre-amble... Here are my questions. 1-- She is living in Roehampton. I have never even been to the UK, so I have no real idea, but I understand that's in the London area. Would London be the closest place she'd be likely to find meet-ups? 2-- How often do Bookcrossers in the area typically get together in a group? Do meetups happen on some kind of schedule?

Thanks in advance :) I hope you all enjoy your meetup in September!

It certainly is. I know she would be more than welcome to come along. I live more than 300 miles away and am always made welcome. There isn't a regular monthly meeting but Poodlesister has arranged quite a few this year. I'm sure she will also respond in here with additional details to pass on to your friend :-)

There isn't a regular monthly meeting but Poodlesister has arranged quite a few this year. I'm sure she will also respond in here with additional details to pass on to your friend :-)

I arrange a meet up every couple of months or so, and occasionally when a Bookcrosser visits from overseas. There is a Bookcrossing UK Facebook page as well and we have a WhatsApp group for London Meet Ups (but I put the information on this Forum, Facebook and WhatsApp). Roehampton is in West London and it is easy to get into Central London where Meet Ups are. Your friend would be welcome. She could also get to know more Bookcrossers at the Northampton Unconvention in October (there are Saturday only as well as weekend tickets)

wingDiane-Fraserwing 3 mos ago
Phew!
I've been able to rebook the hotel and our train tickets will be honoured by LNER so we are back on for the meet up. Yay :-D

I've been able to rebook the hotel and our train tickets will be honoured by LNER so we are back on for the meet up. Yay :-D

Hurray!

wingAbi-Gibbywing 3 mos ago
RE: Phew!
YAY

I'm going to start gathering books.....
As an aside...Poodlesister, I started reading jan costin wagner on holiday last week. Liking it..

Will start sorting out books closer to the day

wingAbi-Gibbywing 2 mos ago
Bump
How many books would be acceptable to bring to the actual BC meet up itself before the release walk

How many books would be acceptable to bring to the actual BC meet up itself before the release walk

I sometimes only bring one or two and I’ve known others who have brought a bagful!

I think I'll only bring one or two :)

I can't make this after all, I'm going to a matinee ballet performance.

I can't make this after all, I'm going to a matinee ballet performance.

Have a nice time at the ballet!

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15677825

This person joined and posted on the Introduce Yourself Forum

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15677825

This person joined and posted on the Introduce Yourself Forum

I did the themed release but hadn't made a note of the bcid. Glad it found an enthusiastic finder :-)

I remember Diane-Fraser leaving that book suitably close to the Thames. :)

This one must of been released by another member from the meet up, as I had left it on the table of books at the meet up
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15674680

This one must of been released by another member from the meet up, as I had left it on the table of books at the meet up
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15674680

There were some tourists in the pub who we encouraged to take books. Maybe this is one of them?

I'm going to visit London in October, and if there is a meeting I would like to join you. But please do not plan a meeting especially for me.

I'm going to visit London in October, and if there is a meeting I would like to join you. But please do not plan a meeting especially for me.

If you give me the dates I can ask on the WhatsApp group. I’m away for some of that time but I’d be up for a mini meet up if I can make it.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.