🇬🇧 BCUK Unconvention Northampton - 11-13 October 2019 - Details

Forum » Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
We have made a start on the website https://bc-unconuk2019.weebly.com/

Nice work on the website Diane-Fraser! Looking forward to this. :)

JemmaJ 6 mos ago
Woot woot!
Super exciting! Who is coming?

GinPoodle 6 mos ago
Nice work!
That's a very attractive website. I think I'd like to come but I'll have to confirm much nearer the date.

That's a very attractive website. I think I'd like to come but I'll have to confirm much nearer the date.

Thanks, hope to see you there :-)

I realised this clashes with the Knitting & Stitching Show at Ally Pally so I won't be able to come to this after all. Hope you all have a good time.

Looking forward to another UK UnCon! (Hi from the international Convention in Mainz)

Looking forward to another UK UnCon! ;-) after UK in Autstria
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/560518

Looking forward to another UK UnCon! ;-) after UK in Autstria
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/560518

So sad :(

Anna Smith-Spark, the Queen of Grimdark, will be talking at the Unconvention. If you're not familiar with Grimdark, think Game of Thrones.

I'll be starting some rays with her books in a couple of weeks.

Just waiting for the Unconvention labels to arrive to start these.

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/560748

I have just bought my ticket for the Uncon!

Only for the day on Saturday as I can't commit to the whole weekend. I am very excited to come to my first Uncon and I know the location as its spitting distance from my Mother in Law's house.

Check out the website. https://bc-unconuk2019.weebly.com

Information is both on the attendees tab and the sales tab ( though of course it's free!)

Check out the website. https://bc-unconuk2019.weebly.com

Information is both on the attendees tab and the sales tab ( though of course it's free!)

great thanks

I'll bring a Finnish one :-) (shamelessly advertising for TeamFinland2021)
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15552565

I'm putting together an eco friendly prize for the Uncon

wingDiane-Fraserwing 5 mos ago
Raffle
I can’t wait for this!

I’m getting a Lake District themed one together again.

I'm thinking about a St Albans or Hertfordshire themed one.

It's proving easier than I thought to find things that are St Albans themed. St A themed raffle prize coming up!

wingKatisha50wing 4 mos ago
RE: Raffle
I'm sure the Brummies can come up with a Birmingham raffle prize!

Northampton author Sue Bentley will be talking to us. Under various pen-names she's written over 80 books including a children's series. She's also written some books for adults/young adults in the last few years. I'll be starting a ray of one of these soon.

The ray for Sue Bentley's book is here:
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/561573

As you can see I have clogs on.
These are the wings we will be using to show we are going to the Northampton unconvention.

Let's get flying :-)

Two more authors confirmed!!

I'm hoping that Anna Smith Spark won't be doing the first author talk, as I doubt I will get there for that (travelling up from south London) and she writes my favourite type of book - I have The Court of Broken Knives sitting beside me, but haven't started it yet.
I've also started (today!) registering books that are not for my friend's wedding. This means there are some available books on my shelf that I can actually find (those are marked as travelling, so no need to worry about getting confused!) If anyone sees an available book on my shelf that they want me to make sure I bring to the uncon please let me know.

I'm hoping that Anna Smith Spark won't be doing the first author talk

Fingers crossed :-)

Anna Smith Spark will be in the afternoon.

All the author talk times are now confirmed. :)

We have two books ready to be shared!

Joy Burrett ("Entwined") and Monica Witherington ("Hi, Mum, Can You Hear Me?" {ages 10-12})

We have two books ready to be shared!

Joy Burrett ("Entwined")

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9336044

and Monica Witherington ("Hi, Mum, Can You Hear Me?" {ages 10-12})

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9336045

Links added to make them easier to find

I can send a parcel of books if you want more. Is there a theme? PM me an address.

The books being listed here are from the authors talking at the Unconvention. :)

It would be great if you could come along!

Sorry but I can't attend. I wondered if you needed any books.

I'm assuming the attendees will bring enough. I can't personally take any more with me, you'd have to ask Jemma if you had some you specifically wanted to send.

Books are welcome! You can send them to me and I can release them for you etc...

Due to some personal changes at work I was able to shift my holidays for one week. So now I will be able to attend the uncon and have a bit of holiday beforehand.

Due to some personal changes at work I was able to shift my holidays for one week. So now I will be able to attend the uncon and have a bit of holiday beforehand.

It will be great to see you again.

Yay! You're up on the attendees list already too :-)

If someone local didn't mind providing an address, I'd be happy to post some books for the Unconvention (so I'd be there in spirit, if not in person.)
Fiz/smallbluepebble

Send me a message and I'll send you my address!

I'm still deciding whether to come to the UnCon and I'm trying to get my head round the logistics. Stay in the town centre, which would be more convenient travel-wise, or nearer the venue, which would be more convenient to get to the venue (obviously).

Hope you can make it!!!
I'm staying at ibis Northampton Centre, as you wrote it's convenient travel-wise, and a livelier area. It's been a while since I booked but I think I arrive already on Thursday. Off to London on Sunday.

I've gone for nearer the venue at the Hopping Hare.

I hope you can make it! :)

The Hopping Hare is really nice, food is lush!

travel-wise works for me, so it's ibis centre

wingbooktwitcherwing 3 mos ago
Raffle
I will bring a small Essex based raffle prize.

Great! I'm bringing a St Albans prize.

Who else will bring something?

Still working on the Lake district raffle prize :-)

I added more books to my Finnish prize (https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15552565 ):
Finland: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15566484/ and
The Rabbit Back Literature Society https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15566479/

I'm afraid I'm cheating on the St Albans prize by including a bottle of gin from Puddingstone Distillery in nearby Tring. Since the Pudding Stone is a well known St Albans landmark I hope no one will mind too much. :)

I hope no one will mind too much. :)

I certainly wouldn't ;-)

My daughter NubiaLion is now twelve. Does she need a full-price weekend ticket, or can she go free, or is there a children's ticket we can buy?

My daughter NubiaLion is now twelve. Does she need a full-price weekend ticket, or can she go free, or is there a children's ticket we can buy?

I can't believe she is 12 already !!
She won't be required to pay for a ticket.
Will be good to see you both there, or should I say all there! ;-)

Thanks Diane. I've finally got round to buying our tickets. See you there!

Come on bookcrossers! Get your tickets ready for a great weekend:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/---/2019-bookcrossing-unconvention-uk-tickets-60721629027

I've just booked my travel and hope to catch up with you there :-)

wingFifnawing 2 mos ago
Done!
I've booked my ticket. Better go and do something about travel now.
I will bring a Dutch prize for the raffle.

I've booked my ticket. Better go and do something about travel now.
I will bring a Dutch prize for the raffle.

Fantastic. I've received your ticket order :-)

Need to assess funds after payday, but should be ok to book for the Saturday! Xx

Need to assess funds after payday, but should be ok to book for the Saturday! Xx

Keeping my fingers crossed that payday brings you more than enough funds and we will see you in Northampton :-)

Sadly, as usual this weekend has clashed with my one other regular weekend event I go to every year so I'm not able to attend but I have some books set aside for the book buffet. Could someone PM me with an address that I could post them to please?

Sadly, as usual this weekend has clashed with my one other regular weekend event I go to every year so I'm not able to attend but I have some books set aside for the book buffet. Could someone PM me with an address that I could post them to please?

I'm sad to hear you won't be able to make it to the event.

Greenbadger previously responded to a similar post :

I am assuming the attendees will bring enough. I can't personally take any more with me, you'd have to ask Jemma if you had some you specifically wanted to send.

I agree with her, if you have books please contact jemmaj and see if she has any details for you.

Send me a message and you can send them to me!

...as Duston is "down the road" from me; I'm staying at home and driving in each day. It will be a lot cheaper for me!

Northamptonshire Raffle prize is coming along too!

I would create one, but I don't know if you want the UnCon books to be released at St. Luke's Community Centre or at a special zone only for the UnCon.

I would create one, but I don't know if you want the UnCon books to be released at St. Luke's Community Centre or at a special zone only for the UnCon.

It is listed under United Kingdom, Northamptonshire, Duston, St Lukes Community Centre

Not sure if that is the official one but it is there!

For Controlled releases, you can do United Kingdom, by post or by hand/in person, BCUK Northampton Uncon 2019 (there are two because there was an error when I created it)

It is listed under United Kingdom, Northamptonshire, Duston, St Lukes Community Centre...
Duston! Thanks! I had checked Northampton, I thought Duston was just a suburb.

It is listed under United Kingdom, Northamptonshire, Duston, St Lukes Community Centre...

I thought it was just a suburb too - surely this is going to confuse a lot of people?

I thought it was just a suburb too - surely this is going to confuse a lot of people?

It is just a suburb and this is one reason why the support team have asked for a clean up of zones if we can. I can arrange for it to be moved under Northampton next week :-)

It is just a suburb and this is one reason why the support team have asked for a clean up of zones if we can. I can arrange for it to be moved under Northampton next week :-)

Books that you plan to directly release to another BookCrosser (ie you know exactly whom you are giving it to) at the Un-Convention could be done so under -- Controlled Releases > The UK UnConvention
Add it as 2019-BCUK Un-Convention Northampton
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7383/

For Controlled releases, you can do United Kingdom, by post or by hand/in person, BCUK Northampton Uncon 2019 (there are two because there was an error when I created it)

This can be fixed next week too so we only have one. :-)

With big regret I have to inform you that I won’t come to the UnCon. I had really looked forward to seeing you all.

My private life has been rather difficult lately and the illness and death of Ghanescha, who had planned coming with me, was kind of the final straw.

I had already booked a bed and breakfast room very early which I offer now. It is at a great location, very close to the venue.

October 11-13, 2 nights

Single room ensuite, including continental breakfast

Only 60 pounds in total, a real bargain.

I have find a replacement in the next 3 days. Please contact me first, not the B&B

southfieldsguesthouse.co.uk

:-(

Sorry to hear you won't be coming - I was looking forward to seeing you again.
You will be missed - and Ghanescha too, of course.

I'm coming for the Saturday! I haven't been to a convention since Oxford, so looking forward to seeing everyone!

Diomedes and I will be bringing a couple of small prizes for the raffle, nothing themed, just a couple of things (brand new of course!) we had sitting in the house and no reason to keep. I'm going to start doing the books now, a complete hodge-podge and largely not read by me (things I got from my daughter when she moved out, books bought in bulk some time ago when I was more active, etc. Getting really excited!!! Oh, and I am LOVING The Court of Broken Knives! I'm going to bring my copy in hopes of an autograph.

Thank you! The more prizes the better! :)

Anna says she'll be hanging around after her talk for signing things.

I'm thinking of bringing a small prize, but it depends if there is any space left in the luggage between all the books ;-)

I'm thinking of bringing a small prize, but it depends if there is any space left in the luggage between all the books ;-)

Tee hee! greenbadger and I were having a similar conversation today. No problem bringing the raffle prizes but we may need a second bag for clothes! ;-)

I started my UK trip already and after staying in Alnwick for a couple of days and seeing about 1000 normanic castles (could be a bit less but it felt that much) I arrived in Whitby today.
Looking forward to see you all next week :-)

I did buy a weekend ticket but in reality I think I will travel down on the Saturday, First thing, for just a day trip.

I will be getting the train to Northampton (from Birmingham) and I'm willing to share a taxi to/from the site with anyone.

I havent decided what I will be wearing, but chances are I will have a BC t shirt and/or a tote bag. Feel free to stop me if you see me!

I would say I'm starting to pack now, but I've got to abseil off the Forth Rail Bridge on Sunday first.

Take care of yourself. XX

wrapping and releasing books for the uncon. Thought I'd reached the end but I've realised I don't have a book for the book swap game!

Since I can't be with you at the weekend I've just posted off a collection of books as a raffle prize. I hope it gets there in good nick. And I hope everyone has a great time.

Since I can't be with you at the weekend I've just posted off a collection of books as a raffle prize. I hope it gets there in good nick. And I hope everyone has a great time.

Thank you. Hope to see you soon :-)

...on a train with a very heavy suitcase :-)

Are you bringing a lot of books by any chance;-

Are you bringing a lot of books by any chance;-
How did you guess? Couldn't help it. 22.6kg, but I also threw in a few clothes and some little somethings for my NSS buddy. The airline is in charge of it now.
ETA; ... and the Finnish raffle prize of course!

I will arrive in Northampton around 6 pm today. If anyone is interested in meeting up this evening, please post here where you will be/are around 7 pm - 8 pm.

Just arrived at Luton. Staying in the city centre, so if you'd like to meet somewhere there I'm all up. Did you book the Ibis by any chance?

Did you book the Ibis by any chance?

I did. I just changed trains in York and now I am heading south.

This is one of the things I love about conventions and unconventions. Seeing how everyone gradually converges on the venue from all directions.

Flying in to Birmingham tomorrow. See you soon!

This is one of the things I love about conventions and unconventions. Seeing how everyone gradually converges on the venue from all directions.

Same here!

Same here!

Thursday 7pm in the Ibis foyer :-)

Just changed trains in Birmingham.
7pm sounds good:-)

My coach planed to arrive 6pm has a little delay, but I think I can still manage 7 pm in the Ibis foyer:-)

If you, Travelina and Rochester, like Indian food, the Delhi Hut opposite Ibis looks good, I just checked the menu...

If you, Travelina and Rochester, like Indian food, the Delhi Hut opposite Ibis looks good, I just checked the menu...

Yes, I like Indian food:-)

but do I need to bring a packed lunch with me on Saturday or is there somewhere we can get food from? Thanks x

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.