🇳🇿 Announcing the New Zealand Uncon 2019 (and 2021) - see thread for important update!!

Forum » Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
The 2019 NZ Uncon is going to be held in... Norfolk Island!

You may think that Norfolk Island is part of Australia, but (1) it's closer to NZ than Australia, and (2) most Norfolk Islanders say they'd rather be part of NZ. So we've decided to annex the island for a weekend.

The date will be [dates changed to 21-25 October - see below], and the plan at this stage is that we all book into the same resort (we're still researching which is the best one), and basically spend the weekend hanging out by the pool, and maybe doing a few trips around the island to points of interest. But basically, it'll follow the tried and true NZ-AUS Uncon formula of good food, good books, good friends, and plenty to drink in convivial surroundings.

And in case you really like planning your travel in advance, we're also announcing the 2021 NZ Uncon, which will return to Christchurch for the first time since the devastating earthquakes that had a good go at destroying our city in 2010-2011. When the worst of them happened in February 2011, I said it'd be at least 10 years until we were ready to host another Uncon. So it seems fitting that Christchurch hold an Uncon in February 2021, and show you the beautiful and exciting city (and incredible new library, the biggest in New Zealand!) that is emerging from the rubble. (And incidentally, it's probably the safest city in NZ - we take building codes very seriously now!!!)

We haven't decided the exact date for 2021, except that it definitely won't be on the actual earthquake anniversary, 22 February, because the city will probably be swarming with government dignitaries that week for the 10th anniversary commemorations.

(Oh yeah, and if you want something to fill in the time between 2019 and 2021, there's always the Gold Coast world convention in 2020...)

^ ^
=+=
v

wingEdwardstreetwing 1 yr ago
Thanks
These events look very exciting.

Sounds great, thanks futurecat. We have already planned a very busy 2019 travel-wise, but I haven't been to Norfolk Island so hopefully we can squeeze it in.
So far 2021 is completely free, Christchurch is looking good! Might be nice to do a longer trip while I'm there, I love NZ.

Well, it's a long way for me, but I do hope to one day visit you guys, for an uncon, con, or just to see the lovely country for the first time - and taste some good wine!!

Well, it's a long way for me, but I do hope to one day visit you guys, for an uncon, con, or just to see the lovely country for the first time - and taste some good wine!!

Australia has by far the best wine, though New Zealand isn't too bad. Certainly better than the rest of the world.

Seriously, Australia has some really good reds. I'll take a good South Australian or Victorian shiraz over just about anything.

New Zealand is noted for its sauvignon blanc. I have dim memories of a party of increasingly merry BookCrossers in Christchurch in 2009 having a roaring good time and then falling asleep on the bus home.

I can't wait for all of these!!

Has anyone actually booked anything (flights, accommodation, leave...) for Norfolk Island yet? It's been pointed out to us that the proposed weekend for the uncon falls in the Australian school holidays, so most of the resorts are already booked out.

Given that, if it's not going to cause any financial hardship to anyone, I'd like to propose that we move the date. Totally open to suggestions for dates - we were aiming for October because it's shoulder season, but not totally tied to that.

However, if anyone has already booked anything that will cost them to change, please say so, and we'll stick with the original dates.

(I've cross-posted this to the Hobart group in Facebook, seeing as that's where a lot of the original planning happened)

I haven't heard from anyone with bookings, so I think we're safe to change the dates. So next question: any suggestions/preferences for dates? Criteria being: decent weather, preferably not super-expensive high season, no school holidays.

I haven't heard from anyone with bookings, so I think we're safe to change the dates. So next question: any suggestions/preferences for dates? Criteria being: decent weather, preferably not super-expensive high season, no school holidays.

Hi, I think the date you selected is fine (26 October). I have checked the holidays and all OZ schools are back in session by then. I just think some accommodation options book up in advance, hence the sold out signs. I'm keen to book in soon, so it's done.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the date and location updates, as I am very tempted with a trip to Norfolk Island to hang out with BCers :)

Hi Jennifer,
Hope all is well in NZ? I'm very keen on going to Norfolk Island and am just wondering if you have decided on the change of date or a venue yet. There are some great package deals going at the moment and I would love to take advantage of them, if the venue you decide on is included? No pressure, just thinking of the bank balance.
As I'm not on FB, I'll keep an eye on the forums.

its always appreciated when organisors for bookcrossing events communicate via bookcrossing. hopefully you find out the proposed dates soon.

Hi Jennifer,
Hope all is well in NZ? I'm very keen on going to Norfolk Island and am just wondering if you have decided on the change of date or a venue yet. There are some great package deals going at the moment and I would love to take advantage of them, if the venue you decide on is included? No pressure, just thinking of the bank balance.

A firm date and a location would be great.

It turns out that October/November is the busiest time for the island, so after trying very hard to find a weekend with enough accommodation available for the group, we've decided to do something completely different, and have a mid-week convention.

Lytteltonwitch and I are going to be on the island from Monday 21 October to Friday 25 October, and we invite you all to join us for as much or as little of the week as you wish.

We've booked a room at the South Pacific Resort, and asked them to hold as many more rooms as possible for bookcrossers. They can only hold the rooms over the weekend, so if you do want to come, get your booking in straight away. Phone +67 2 322 166 to book, and say you're a bookcrosser, and friend of Lesley. Once those rooms are gone, you'll have to try the other hotels on the island - good luck!

Flights to Norfolk Island only run on Tuesdays and Saturdays from Brisbane, and on Mondays, Fridays and Sundays from Sydney. There's no flights on Wednesdays, and no more direct flights from NZ :-(

Hope some of you can make it!

I have just looked and there are a few Airbnb properties available as well so we should be OK for accommodation. I will book flights tomorrow from Melbourne, probably Sunday to Sunday.

Glad there's still some other accommodation options! (I did look briefly at AirBnB options, but thought it was going to be too complicated to organise a group to share a house, when we're all coming from different places, probably on different days... of course, I didn't realise how complicated it would get to find a hotel that had rooms available!)

A few people on facebook have mentioned they were having trouble booking at South Pacific, because they're upgrading the booking system. So if you haven't managed to book yet, keep trying.

A few people on facebook have mentioned they were having trouble booking at South Pacific, because they're upgrading the booking system. So if you haven't managed to book yet, keep trying.

We couldn't get in at South Pacific but are booked Sunday to Sunday two doors down. I'm really looking forward to it. 🙂

We couldn't get in at South Pacific but are booked Sunday to Sunday two doors down. I'm really looking forward to it. 🙂

what is the name of the place you are staying?

We are staying at Channers. I'm looking forward to finally getting to Norfolk Island.
Address is 144 Taylor's Road.

And on Air Chathams Akld to Norfolk Fridays. - a new 90 minute service KIE discovered starts in September.

A direct plane route from NZ to Norfolk Island shifted the balance, so we two shall be there with bells on. We are staying in a lodge which is walking distance from the organisers abode, and have a rental car to tootle around.

It will be great to see you both!

It will be great to see you both!

and you also !! Where are you staying?

Bronwyna and I are at the Aloha Apartments.

Thanks KIE for sorting this for me.
I am excited now. Yourmoney saving research is amazing.
We will be there Friday to Friday.

I've put together a Google Doc for activity options for people. Have a read, put your name down for anything that you're interested in, and then when we get a little closer to the time, the interested parties can organise among themselves times/dates that work for them. If you find other things you want to do, feel free to add them to the list!

https://docs.google.com/---/edit?...

Flying out of Sydney by Air NZ, and staying in Daydreamer Apartments. I have booked a car too, or rather had it booked for me...but I wanted one :). A fellow geocacher from Norfolk Island kindly did this for me. He also has asked if I want a geocaching meet arranged. Likely lunch at a cafe. I am going to say yes. So what other geocaching Bookcrossers will be interested in this geocaching meet? Lots of the geocaches on the island belong to him. Now I must attempt to solve the puzzles (not my forte), but he has offered to help me if I have difficulty.

Apparently Norfolk Island is starting Daylight Savings again this year (they didn’t have it last year).
So if you get an email from AirNZ to say they’ve had to reschedule your flights, don’t panic.
They still depart and arrive Sydney/Brisbane at the same time, so any connections won’t be effected.

Apparently Norfolk Island is starting Daylight Savings again this year (they didn’t have it last year).
So if you get an email from AirNZ to say they’ve had to reschedule your flights, don’t panic.
They still depart and arrive Sydney/Brisbane at the same time, so any connections won’t be effected.

So that explains the email. Thank you for the explanation. I did wonder why the flight was taking an hour extra.

I look forward to the Uncon in Christchurch in 2021. 😀

I was wondering if there are any gatherings planned yet please?
You know Uncon dinner, release walk etc?

I was wondering if there is any gatherings planned yet please?
You know Uncon dinner, release walk etc.?

I’m assuming not yet, as no discussion has been had on this forum.

I was wondering if there is any gatherings planned yet please?
You know Uncon dinner, release walk etc.?

I’m assuming not yet, as no discussion has been had on this forum.

Discoverylover circulated a document containing a list of excursions and attractions.

It is up to the invading New Zealanders, I think, to arrange anything official.

Otherwise we will just meet as often as possible for meals and bookswapping and conversation and consuming as much local wine and food as possible.

The Stewart Island thing was pretty casual, and a whole lot of fun was had anyway. I think the highlight of the trip was seeing Dave tramping around a subantarctic island in the rain and sleet in t-shirt and shorts with only his love to keep him warm.

I've added another section to the Google Doc to help people schedule. Some activities have been entered already, but as I mostly did this to help me schedule what I wanted to do, anything I'm not interested in hasn't been added (although I've put in some extra rows for you all to do so) :)

Google doc can be found here: https://docs.google.com/---/edit?...

Also, if you're not on Facebook and would like to come to a dinner on the Monday night to kick off the uncon, please RSVP here.

(Exact time and venue to be determined once we've got numbers.)

Thanks Jennifer, We're both in for Monday, Megan and I have a tour that finishes at 6pm, so can meet you anywhere after that.
We have dinner booked at The Bounty Lodge on Tuesday and I'm sure you are welcome to join us, I have made enquiries, will update you if I hear anything before our arrival. Bronwyn

Dinner is booked for 7pm on Monday 21 October at Hilli Restaurant (picked by Discoverylover for their vegetarian options).
Their kitchen is pretty small, so they've asked us to pre-order. Could you please have a look at the menus below, and let me know your choices, so I can send a list through to them. Thanks!
Dinner menu: https://drive.google.com/---/view?...
Dessert menu: https://drive.google.com/---/view?...

I will have the local fish pate and the Hilli Salad with chicken please.

Still waiting on a couple of people to put in their dinner orders, so if you haven't already replied either here or on Facebook, or PMed me, be quick so you don't miss out!

Dinner is booked for 7pm on Monday 21 October at Hilli Restaurant (picked by Discoverylover for their vegetarian options).
Their kitchen is pretty small, so they've asked us to pre-order. Could you please have a look at the menus below, and let me know your choices, so I can send a list through to them. Thanks!
Dinner menu: https://drive.google.com/---/view?...
Dessert menu: https://drive.google.com/---/view?...

I’ll have the fish pate and the chicken thanks

Hi Jennifer, I'll have the entree salt and pepper calamari and Wahine chicken breast for mains please. Looks like a great choice. Bronwyn

The restaurant was ok with us expanding our booking to include goldenwattle and Nursefluff, so we're all set for Monday night.

See you all there!

The restaurant was ok with us expanding our booking to include goldenwattle and Nursefluff, so we're all set for Monday night.

See you all there!

Thank you. Looking forward to it.

Yes please

Thankyou DiscoveryLover, I have updated Megan and my info in the description section, not confirmed as yet, so not in the spreadsheet. All the tours look wonderful, I think we will be busy people. We arrive on Sun 20 and leave Sun 27, staying at Aloha Apartments. Bronwyn

I will have Wahine Chicken Breast. Thank you for organising this.

I completed the travel for this trip this morning, by booking the train back to Canberra. So all ready to travel now and looking forward to it.

Did you RSVP goldenwattle? I didn't have you on my list. I'll check if the restaurant can squeeze you in.

Also Nursefluff (Robyn) didn’t respond and I’m pretty sure she will want to go. I have asked her to respond here.

Did you RSVP goldenwattle? I didn't have you on my list. I'll check if the restaurant can squeeze you in.

Thanks, but I only saw this two days ago here, and gave my choice almost immediately.

I scrolled up four months and this is the first time I see mention of the dinner.

I arrive on Friday, 18th October.

We arrive Sunday 20th and staying for a week.

Kiwi and I arrive Friday morning and we leave the following Friday. So lucky we flying direct out of Auckland. Looking forward to the dinner Monday night. And hoping there are spaces on the Tuesday night I hear Megan is organising. Nothing else organised but the Norfolk travel FB page is very tempting. I see there is a big Gardener's Convention on at the moment.

Kiwi and I arrive Friday morning and we leave the following Friday. So lucky we flying direct out of Auckland. Looking forward to the dinner Monday night. And hoping there are spaces on the Tuesday night I hear Megan is organising. Nothing else organised but the Norfolk travel FB page is very tempting. I see there is a big Gardener's Convention on at the moment.

There is a Geocaching CITO that's been organised by a local geocacher that I will attend. Wednesday 23rd October.

Tuesday night isn’t happening now as our included dinner got altered to canapés only! We are hoping to book the Island Fish Fry for Thursday night ($70 each) but I can’t phone them from Australia and they have not answered my text message - 7 of us wanting to do that so far. We might have to wait until we are there.
http://www.pinetreetours.com/---/island-fish-fry/
We (Bronwyna, nursefluff amd myself) are all arriving on Sunday arvo.

Tuesday night isn’t happening now as our included dinner got altered to canapés only! We are hoping to book the Island Fish Fry for Thursday night ($70 each) but I can’t phone them from Australia and they have not answered my text message - 7 of us wanting to do that so far. We might have to wait until we are there.
http://www.pinetreetours.com/---/island-fish-fry/
We (Bronwyna, nursefluff amd myself) are all arriving on Sunday arvo.

I’m keen, I’m sure looking it up when people are there will be more helpful spot you soon :)

Bags packed. Off to the airport. Overnighting in Auckland. Leave Auckland 9am in the morning. 80 minutes later we arrive. Yippee so looking forward to this Uncon.

WooHoo! Safe travels, see you there

I'll keep reading and pretend I'm not jealous ;-)

I'll keep reading and pretend I'm not jealous ;-)

Par for the course with these things, I'm afraid. I've missed a couple of the best conventions for one reason or another and had to look on as everyone else had a fun time. Sometimes I've got other duties, sometimes the money just isn't there.

I learnt a long time ago - with my first uncon, in Sydney 2004 - that it wasn't the books so much as the BookCrossers. It's nice to turn up and see a table literally groaning under the weight of books. I think there was one event in Dunedin where the thing collapsed.

And of course the airlines usually have to put on a bigger jumbo to accomodate the extra weight.

And, as Ron Hornbaker once observed, while he watched the spinning ball, there's nothing like a herd of BookCrossers to bring a network to its knees.

But, as part of the herd, it is the great joy of the world to be in the company of these well-read, well-travelled, generous, and articulate people.

There may be a great mound of books in the middle of the dinner table, but nobody is talking about books. They get devoured later and privately. There is a genteel roar of conversation. It's the adventures we've had since last meeting. News of BookCrossers around the globe. Things to do; cemeteries to explore; museums to romp through; bookshops to pillage; places to eat and drink.

It's kind of like the Chit-Chat forum in real life, I guess. And all the others at the same time.

I arrived on the bus from Canberra and then dragged my suitcase to the hotel. Booked in and then went geocaching. Had an early dinner and now I am in my room. The airport shuttle will pick me up just after 6am tomorrow morning to take me to the airport.

Bronwyna and I are in Sydney too, for a couple of days of being tourists before we fly out on Sunday. Off to Waverley Cemetery tomorrow.

Day one - all gone successfully. After a day exploring the shopping mall and village we have settled in with G&T’s to do some reading.

A wee book exchange shelf at the lovely Olive Cafe ( had a great salad for lunch) I am advised there is also one at the Centre for Democracy but I cannot confirm that.

Oh cool! We have one bag with clothes, and another with books.

A morning spent gaining our bearings and learning some local history with a very well run half day tour (part of our accommodation package).

grabbed lots of lovely organic veggies at the morning market, and am now having Norfolk
Island cheese, hand made chutney, and G&Ts.

Find it outside Anglicare 102A Taylor's Road Burnt Pine

We'd love to see what we're missing out on :D

Held last night at the award winning Norfolk Island Bowling Club, with local fish and organic vegetables a feature of the menu. Great laughs and catching up on people’s lives.

Today the weather is slightly damp, so the morning for Edwardstreet and I shall be museum focused.

A group of us will be on the 11.30am tour tomorrow.

Hint - tickets cost less when bought as part of the museum pass.

Tonight Meganh has organised a group meal in s conference room in the middle of Burnt Pines.

Some people have done half day orientation tours, some swam, museums visited, and shopping undertaken. And of course - books released.

It was great to be together to help k-j-h celebrate his birthday.

Everyone did their own thing today; 360 degree views from Mt Pitt, a play about the history of Norfolk, goat and cheese tours, read books and relaxed.

Then from 5-7 we all got together for alfresco dining at Emily bay.

A selection of sharing platters, including local fish, cheeses, pork was enjoyed by everyone. As a local musician played; people sang, danced, and laughed.

I’ll remember this convention for the amazing meals, the feeling of youth (the average age of tourist appeared to be 75), and the brilliance of people organising events spontaneously so we could catch up in the evenings.

A selection of sharing platters, including local fish, cheeses, pork was enjoyed by everyone. As a local musician played; people sang, danced, and laughed.

I’ll remember this convention for the amazing meals, the feeling of youth (the average age of tourist appeared to be 75), and the brilliance of people organising events spontaneously so we could catch up in the evenings.

Yes. A great place to spend a few days. Everyone got to do things they loved, and we got together in the evening somewhere to catch up.

If it were happening again, I think I'd choose a self-catered unit with a car, and spend a couple more days. I could have spent another day doing some of the historical stuff, and there were some fabulously well-stocked shops along the main drag.

Such as the grog shop, which I barely looked into. I got a couple of bottles of yummy wine there. I was not expecting such a wide and well-priced selection on an island with fewer than 2 000 residents, to be honest.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.