�οΏ½ Who will host the Convention in 2021?

Forum » Conventions and Meetings » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

time isn't a problem, but money could be...

Complete Thread
...right now! β˜ƒβ˜ƒβ˜ƒ

...right now! β˜ƒβ˜ƒβ˜ƒ

And in Norway too, it's snow in the air in Oslo right now.

And in (some parts of) Scotland too.

Even in Bavaria

Even in Bavaria

And we had hail this morning. Day temps in the north of the Netherlands around 7 degrees Celcius...

Last week T-shirt, today winter clothes. ❄

https://youtu.be/JYKRTkqKt3w

This was 2 years ago, so it's better to pack your wool socks and sweaters!

Yay, bring it on, a bit of lumi can't keep a real BCer away from a convention!

Lumi? Aaaah, 'just another normal day for those of us from The Great White North. It snowed Monday night (the night I got home). It's all about layers. You'll be fine. I like the conventions in April, because tourism-madness hasn't started yet. Europe can be overrun in May/June/July/August. Impossible to find affordable accommodation, crowds everywhere, etc.

That video made me smile, but still didn't put me off wanting to visit Finland :)

wingSchratwing 5 mos ago
Finland
would be great. When our children were small we spent 6 weeks in Finland accompanying my husband on a business trip. Together with his business partner and his wife we had a wonderful time in a summer house at a lake near Kuopio. And the friendship with the Finnish partner kept until now. Next week they will visit us.

wingkirjakkowing 5 mos ago
VS: Finland
Yes, we will definately visit all of you after the Convention 😊😊😊.

wingDEESSEwing 5 mos ago
RE: Finland
Yes, I remember, that was the summer when my brother turned "nelja" and I learnt extremely useful words like "mahamakkara" from that business partner. And we did survival trips with them. Great memories!
Nearly got electrocuted though because of the electric water pump in the lake I was swimming in, and all those moskitoes!
(And the wild horses on the island, Schrat!)

wingApoloniaXwing 5 mos ago
FYI
There is a meet-up in Tampere on 30 May. :-) Please come.

For what it's worth, the weekend of the BC anniversary often falls near major holidays and/or spring breaks in the US - you're contending with Passover, Easter, and public school spring breaks, all of which result in places being closed, high cost airline tickets, and scarce hotel rooms and car rentals. If you want more Americans, there needs to be flexibility in the timing of the convention, especially if folks want the Americans to host.

Sandpoint, Idaho would be a an interesting 'outdoors' convention, but it is inconvenient from a travel standpoint. The closest airport is not Boise, but Spokane, WA. Most of the flights are to/from Seattle, WA and Portland, OR, with very limited service from anywhere else in the US, so folks would have to make 2+ transfers. Car rentals would be a requirement.

I encourage anyone scheduling something in Finland to pick the time that is best for them. You know your local area the best. Don't fight the timing, pick the time that's right for you.

I agree, we have an Oz/NZ Unconvention every year around October-November. But when Darwin offered to host they proposed July as it was much better weather then. The heat in later in the year would have been very uncomfortable.
We were all happy to go in July and had a fantastic time. I don't see a problem with Finland hosting in May or June or whenever suits them.

The UnConventions have always been whenever the local organizers want to host them. Not so with the Official Convention.

The UnConventions have always been whenever the local organizers want to host them. Not so with the Official Convention.

I don't see why it shouldn't be at a convenient date to the organisers, taking local conditions such as weather into consideration. If someone else complains and says it should be such and such a date and can't be moved, then they should volunteer to put on the event. I think the date should be up to those who have kindly volunteered to organise the event.

I don't see why it shouldn't be at a convenient date to the organisers, taking local conditions such as weather into consideration. If someone else complains and says it should be such and such a date and can't be moved, then they should volunteer to put on the event. I think the date should be up to those who have kindly volunteered to organise the event.

Wasn't it you who originally suggested here that Finland should be moved to a later date when it "is a bit warmer"? So I guess you're part of the mystery organizing committee then ;) Every Finn knows that it might just as well NOT be much warmer in May, June or July either - you can plan whatever you want & hope fot the best but the weather will be whatever it will be, so there's really no point in dwelling on this weather issue. I also recommend that we let the organizers plan their thing and tell us about it whenever they're ready.

Wasn't it you who originally suggested here that Finland should be moved to a later date when it "is a bit warmer"? So I guess you're part of the mystery organizing committee then ;) Every Finn knows that it might just as well NOT be much warmer in May, June or July either - you can plan whatever you want & hope fot the best but the weather will be whatever it will be, so there's really no point in dwelling on this weather issue. I also recommend that we let the organizers plan their thing and tell us about it whenever they're ready.

Mine was just a suggestion. I did write, "I think the date should be up to those who have kindly volunteered to organise the event." This was in reply to those who say the date mustn't be moved.
So I don't know why you are being snarky at me. I repeat what I wrote, what you could have read. "I think the date should be up to those who have kindly volunteered to organise the event." I was supporting whoever is organising this to be able to chose the date they want; NOT what some others say, that it MUST be ie the same time every year, no matter what the organising committee would rather. It should be up to not you, not me, but the organising committee. If they want the same traditional date, that's their call. If they want another date, that should also be their call.
My comments were just feed back. Don't you believe in feedback?

After it became free to choose when shops are open there is not one single day in the year when all shops would be closed. Not that bookcrossers are that into shopping. And although the majority of Finns belong to (Lutheran) church, we hardly ever go to church, except for weddings and funerals. But as Bookcrossing Day was near Easter this year, it probably isn't in 2021.

But as Bookcrossing Day was near Easter this year, it probably isn't in 2021.

It will be April 4 for Western churches, May 2 if you're Orthodox.

Passover starts March 28.

So BC Day avoids all of those that year.

Punched down is a big word... Do you mean that someone disagreed with your opinion?

teachie 5 mos ago
Finland
Finland sounds wonderful. Neither of us has visited that country so we will do our best to be there whatever time of year is chosen.

winggoldenwattlewing 4 mos ago
Finland
Just checked which countries we in Australia have healthcare reciprocal arrangements with. Yay, Finland is one of them, which helps make it an attractive destination for Australians. So, covered if I travel there. (I would still have insurance though, as not all countries on the way have this agreement.)

That's good to know. I'm touring in Finland July 2020.

Don't tell me. Part of a cruise?

I've never been to Finland, not unless one counts a short walk over the tarmac from bus to plane.

I never worry too much about the weather. Being with other BookCrossers is paradise in itself.

Don't tell me. Part of a cruise?

I've never been to Finland, not unless one counts a short walk over the tarmac from bus to plane.

I never worry too much about the weather. Being with other BookCrossers is paradise in itself.

Lol! Yes and no, we are doing a coach tour through Sweden and Finland, then boarding Jewel of the Seas in Stockholm for a Baltic cruise, which will also stop at Helsinki.

Do let us know if you want to have a quick meet-up with Helsinki bookcrossers...

Do let us know if you want to have a quick meet-up with Helsinki bookcrossers...

Thank you! I'll be travelling with other family who haven't been to Helsinki before so I will be busy touring with them. I was there in 2010, it was a really nice city. I'm looking forward to seeing the northern lapland areas this time as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the northern lapland areas this time as well.

Think...mosquitoes...

There were a lot of those :-(

But, Helsinki is a great city indeed!

'Just gotta go in 2021. Enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

'Just gotta go in 2021. Enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

But what about gothic crochet?

Ok, it's time to make a confession....

Would you like to visit Tampere? We would be so glad to invite you all here! 😍

Would you like to visit Tampere?

Oh yes, absolutely!
(When exactly? Do you know already?)
(And have fun at Turku Kesäpäivä!)

No joke? No fake news?
I would absolutly looove to visit Tampere!

Oh yes! Try and stop me. πŸ˜ƒ

Yippie!!

Oh yes! Try and stop me. πŸ˜ƒ

Hooray!!
Love to come!

:-) Great news, thanks!

OMG, what wonderful news. Yes, yes, yes to Tampere.

Yes, definitely!

Me too!

Yippie! I’ll start saving 😊(that makes two money boxes: one for Goldcoast, one for Finland...)

I would love to go to Tampere.

Goes away to look up plane fares.....

We who live here in the capital could arrange something of interest post or pre Convention (depending on what Tampere has on offer, not colliding with it).

Yes, absolutely!
This summer we were there, but had too little time.

Is there interest to see a bit of Helsinki as well?

Yes, of course!

Yes, I'd love to see something of Helsinki, guided by locals.

I usually arrive on the Wednesday before a convention, catch up on whatever sleep I've missed in the 24 hours or so it takes me to get anywhere from Canberra, and leave on the Monday.

Thursdays are the usual days for local tours. Possibly the best time for a Helsinki tour would be Monday, or Sunday afternoon depending on times. I imagine that most foreign attendees would be flying in and out of Helsinki, so there would likely be a fair crowd in Helsinki Sunday evening and Monday morning.

Yes, yes, yes! Tampere sounds great too.

Tampere ? I don't know exactly where it is in Finland, but I'm going to look at it !

Bring it on ! Put us down for it now :)

Bring it on ! Put us down for it now :)

Ditto

wingtravelinawing 2 mos ago
Tampere
That's great, I am likely to come.

Leisha Camden, Skyfire20 and I was in Tampere in 2017 for a the big postcrossing meetup, so I am an experienced Tampere traveller:-)

In 2017 we took a round trip. We started with a flight to Tallinn, Estonia. We stayed there a couple of days, and then took the overnight ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki.

Tampere isn't that far from Helsinki, our train from Helsinki to Tampere took only about 1,5 hours.

The world's only Moomin Museum is in Tampere:-)
https://muumimuseo.fi/en/
(It opened just after we were there.)

...when you are leaving . That is the book swap -lounge. It is usually very quiet, there are some seats, bookshelves, good view to the runways and toilets with no queues. No bar, but you can eat and drink there if you buy something from the shops or kiosks. You can leave books there and hopefully give lift to those BC-books which wait there to be picked. There are mostly unregistered books there, so keep your first aid labels and stickers with you at all times...

I am going to try out some guided walks as there is plenty of time until 2021, but some bookish venues might interest you, like our new Central Library Oodi, which as a building is rather impressive, I've been told (haven't been there yet, shame on me):
https://www.oodihelsinki.fi/en/
and of course the apple of Hippolein's eye, OBCZ-Columbus in Vuosaari (easy to access by underground) and a couple of other places where Helsinki-bookcrossers like to leave their books, all along the same underground route .
It all depends how much time you like to spend in Helsinki and what you would like to see. Almost all libraries (except Oodi) have exchange shelves where you can leave and take books from. If you like to do another capital and have an extra day, then Tallinn, Estonia is only a few hours' boat trip away. They have a lovely Old Town and a good catch rate :). Group tickets can be very cheap, usually 10-15€ which is good value. Normal passport will do and they have the same currency (Euro).

I would so love to do Tallin too. I was actually wondering if i could fit it in on my way.

Going to Tallinn takes 2 hours by ferry from Helsinki and it's very good to go there and back in one day (we did that in June of this year).

I know somebody who (at least at the moment) works on the sales of one of the ferry companies, so if she is still there in 2021 and there seems to be interest, I could ask for a group price. Could come with you 😊. But first you'll have to go to Gold Coast...

I'd like to visit Tallinn and also Vilnius and Riga if I can work out how to do it.

Riga and Vilnius are both nice old cities, but a bit further away, so you have to have much more time.

If you don't mind travelling by bus, tickets between Tallinn-Riga and Riga-Vilnius cost about 5-10€ at the moment (booked in advance) and all those cities are cheaper than Finland for food, accommodation etc. Definitely worth looking into nearer the date if you have the time!

So we can now assume that Tampere, Finland 2021 (16th - 18th April 2021) is official? Or do we need to wait for the bid in Australia? We would like to make reservations for the venue etc. And lots of planning and other fun stuff to do! :)

Oh, I almost forgot, behind this nick is pippis, lii5a and Appelsiini :)

We are happy to see so many of you are already planning a trip to Finland! Yey!

The bid in Australia will be for 2022 - your bid would have taken place in Mainz. So I guess there is no precedent for this... I suggest you simply declare it official!

Gothenburg 2013 was announced by BC management in 2011 without a vote being taken. It seems to be rare nowadays that there are competing bids.

In the absence of any other bid for 2021, I guess Tampere is the official host, those proposing to host it being BookCrossers of good standing and high regard.

Even higher regard now; I've long wanted to spend more time in Finland beyond the brief stroll across the Helsinki airport tarmac in 2008 on the way to Amsterdam, just days before that bloody volcano went off.

On that note, we'll make time available at the Gold Coast convention next year for bids for the 2022 convention.

I've been to thirteen anniversary conventions now (and lost count of the regional unconventions). Each one has taken me to a fresh part of the world and I have made new friends and had a thoroughly marvellous time. I would never have gotten to Mainz, Gothenburg or Bordeaux if it had not been for BookCrossing, and I treasure those days.

And now I have Tampere to look forward to. Thank you, Finland!

In the absence of any other bid for 2021, I guess Tampere is the official host, those proposing to host it being BookCrossers of good standing and high regard.

Can I go blush and giggle behind the office door now?
Thank you for trusting us as organisers, Skyring! We're bursting with ideas and will do our very best to give you all an unforgettable experience of Finland and Finns in Tampere!

So we can now assume that Tampere, Finland 2021 (16th - 18th April 2021) is official?

Hooray

Go for it!!!

Pippis, who innocently claimed not having anything to do with this, as well as Lii5a... Never trust a smiling Finn.

Pippis, who innocently claimed not having anything to do with this, as well as Lii5a... Never trust a smiling Finn.
As far as I know she only wrote it isn't in Turku :-) https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9302653

Where have I said so?

I'll PM both ApoloniaX and lii5a, this hardly interests anybody else.

Never trust a smiling Finn.

Exactly. The liquorice they are kindly offering you is in all likelihood actually liquorice, but that doesn't mean there is no hot chili in it, or other ingredients that may surprise you.

Moem, don't touch the innocent-looking liquorice drink you will be offered on arrival, it's 96 per cent alcohol.

it's 96 per cent alcohol.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Moem: Just mentioning another surprising ingredient which is often linked to liquorice here.

So we can now assume that Tampere, Finland 2021 (16th - 18th April 2021) is official? Or do we need to wait for the bid in Australia? We would like to make reservations for the venue etc. And lots of planning and other fun stuff to do! :)

Hurray! Looking forward to Convention 2021. Thanks for organizing, pippis, lii5a and Appelsiini!

That sounds great, thanks for taking it on! I'll put it on my holiday planning list for 2021 :-)

As there were no other bids at the Mainz conventions this spring, your bid is official. I'll put Tempere on the list.

That is so great. I would love to go to a convention in Finland.

Before the Oslo convention I started a bookray for "The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia" The book has a part about all the Nordic countries, also Finland. The bookray still goes on if anyone is interested now that there is going to be a convention in Finland.

Forum thread to sign up for the bookray: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/533165
Journal: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14119230

I am especially looking for someone in the US who can ship internationally, because one person who were to send the book internationally from the US opted out of the bookray.

wingauweiawing 1 mo ago
Yippie!
Good news, I love to come to Finland, many thanks for this offer and organization :-)

and Italy?

and Italy?

What about it?

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.