�� Who will host the Convention in 2021?

Forum » Conventions and Meetings » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

How would convention in Finland sound to you? :D
YES, wonderful!!!
I'm coming for a one-week vacation to Finland soon, and my plan was to try and convince you to have the convention there... I'll come anyway :-)

Complete Thread
St. Louis, MO, USA (2004)
Fort Worth, TX, USA (2005)
Toronto, Canada (2006)
Charleston, SC, USA (2007)
London, UK (2008)
Christchurch, New Zealand (2009)
Amsterdam, the Netherlands (2010)
Washington DC, USA (2011)
Dublin, Ireland (2012)
Gothenburg, Sweden (2013)
Melbourne, Australia (2014)
Oxford, UK (2015)
Athens, Greece (2016)
Oslo, Norway (2017)
Bordeaux, France (2018)
Mainz, Germany (2019)
The Gold Coast, Australia (2020), 17 – 19 April 2020
? 2021 -anyone who wish to take this challange?

The bids for 2021 will be presented at the 2019-convention in Mainz, Germany 26 - 28 April 2019.

You don't have to be present yourself to make the bid, someone can do it for you.

也許在香港

也許在香港

That would be different and not so far for some of us to travel :)

也許在香港

Let's not jump ahead of ourselves!

If there's a group of Bookcrossers who are planning on making a bid for Hong Kong in 2021, let them make the announcement for themselves. It seems a little unfair to steal their thunder.

Unless, of course, you're one of the people planning the bid, in which case, go right ahead and announce away!

也許在香港

Let's not jump ahead of ourselves!

If there's a group of Bookcrossers who are planning on making a bid for Hong Kong in 2021, let them make the announcement for themselves. It seems a little unfair to steal their thunder.

Unless, of course, you're one of the people planning the bid, in which case, go right ahead and announce away!

Well, she is part of the committee, so she's not stealing the thunder.
However, we are talking about 3 years away, and a lot of things can happen, or not. It's a whole year away from submitting the bid, and I guess till the stars get more aligned and pieces fall into place, it is no good getting too excited before an official announcement.

However, it will be great if we can finally have a BC con in Asia. Way overdue!

Let's all keep our fingers crossed and start saving!!

Asia would be very cool of course. It has never been there.

The Bookcrossers in question don’t even live there yet, so while this is a lovely rumour, it really is just that! Crossing my fingers though....

(And yes, I did hear it from the people themselves, but there are many stars that need to align for this to come off)

.... and we‘re glad and furiously happy about the 2019 Mainz and 2020 Gold Coast convention. We can be lucky to have people to organize the conventions. It‘s a hard, hard work to make many people happy. It‘s a pleasure to have such people- so let themselve the fun and the satisfaction for announcing this - if it comes true oneday. And whereever...😊

Someone willing to make a bid in Mainz?

Sadly not Hong Kong yet. Our moving plan is delayed and I didn't get to visit Hong Kong at all since Bordeaux... I tried researching online but didn't find any good venue yet and until I live there and can get more contacts and connections I am hesitate to submit a bid.

That gives you guys an extra year to save up. : D

wingmissmarkeywing 4 mos ago
Bump

Did anyone make a bid for the convention in 2021?

No, I'm afraid not.
2021 will be the 20th anniversary of Bookcrossing so it is a special year to celebrate. If anyone is thinking they might be able to give it a go there are people who have organised conventions in the past who would be more than willing to pass on what they have learnt. We can't let the wonderful international fun die out....can we?

Wish it would be Finland...I like to see Helsinki again..😄

Si c'est la Finlande, nous serons plusieurs bookcrosseuses françaises à faire le voyage.

Moi Aussie!

Ich würde mich gerne allen in Helsinki anschließen.

Helsinki is lovely! If Finland hosts 2021, I will strongly considering going.

MLA 3 mos ago
Convention 2021
Anyone out there who would take the challange to arrange the Convention in 2021? The venue does not to be on the high end. There are people in the nice Bookcrossing Universe who can give advice.

would be cool for the 20th anniversary, but I don't know if there are enough avid BookCrossers there to organize it.

Pish. This is not a problem. A hall for the books and the speakers, a few restaurants, a tour bus or two.

In 2021 there should not be a clown to reign on your parade.

would be cool for the 20th anniversary, but I don't know if there are enough avid BookCrossers there to organize it.

Sandpoint is a rather tricky place to get to.
Although, keeping it in Idaho would be achievable. Boise would be more accessible with many direct flights to here from the likes of LA, San Fran, Portland, San Diego, Houston, Chicago, Seattle, Salt Lake and also Denver - which are a good spread of where most people would fly in from, from international destinations.

Australia and New Zealand have been running joint Unconventions in alternate years. For the past few years we have been selecting places where none of us live, but are attractive, and set up for tourists.

Last year's Uncon in Hobart, for example. None of us live there, and the closest - in fact the only - BookCrosser on the organising team lived over a thousand kilometres away.

Next year's Convention on the Gold Coast. It takes me thirteen hours of driving time from my home in Canberra. And I'm the closest member of the organising team.

Granted, we'll have helpers in nearby Brisbane, but the Gold Coast is a place we have all been to - I have close family living there and went to school there for a time - and our only real problem was finding the venue, which took us about an hour of online research to make a provisional booking.

I cannot see why something similar can't be done for 2021. If a group of BookCrossers know a place very well, they don't need to be physically present walking the streets. In this day, most popular tourist destinations have extensive online resources.

Last night on the way home from a very pleasant dinner with some of the Mainz organising committee, Macaufan and I discussed the possibility of a city in a country foreign to both of us, but a wonderful destination, reasonably close for both Europeans and Americans.

I think it would work, and be very popular. It would certainly be a shame for there not to be an Annual Convention to celebrate twenty years of this hobby we know and love.

If anybody wants to put forward a bid on those lines, then think seriously about it.

For myself, I have been attending these conventions for nearly fifteen years now as a freeloader, and it is time for me to give back a little. I am more than happy to do so. BookCrossing has been such a joyful part of my life for so long.

I would be willing to go on it.

I would be willing to go on it.

super ;-)

No convention in US since 2011, none in Canada since 2006... nine in Europe so far.

It really would be great to go back over the pond!

Canada would be nice as well 👍😄

That sounds great to me :-D
We were discussing it at saturday convention dinner and my table said they would love a convention in Finland.

that would be fantastic! And when it will happen in Lahti, Tampere or Kuopio I will bring my Kayak with me :-)

YES, wonderful!!!
I'm coming for a one-week vacation to Finland soon, and my plan was to try and convince you to have the convention there... I'll come anyway :-)

ApoloniaX, you don’t happen to be TeamFinland2021, do you...?

ApoloniaX, you don’t happen to be TeamFinland2021, do you...?
No.....
But I'm coming soon, and give you your bloody book back, before worse things happen here...

Sounds great

Yes!! Sounds good to me.

Sounds great, and I thought it would be nice if there were a convention in Finland. I've been to Helsinki only once (hint :-) ).

It sounds good to me, and your username sounds great too!

That sounds great :-) I see there's a team already! I'll try to be there.

Fabulous idea! 🇫🇮 :)

I haven‘t been in Finland for more than 10 years and that would be the perfect occasion.
Oikein hyvä!

Very nice!
We were hoping there would be one in Finland!

I'd love to attend a Finnish Convention

LOL, the big mystery... who is behind it?
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/560525

Yep, we are trying to figure out who is behind nick TeamFinland2021 - no confessions yet from the most probable culprits (ApoloniaX included). Where is Miss Marple when you most need her?😀
ApoloniaX, your Finnish is improving fast!

Actually I think it might be you, kirjakko, who's behind it...

No, ApoloniaX. I have forbidden Conventions from myself until my tbr-shelf has diminished - no sign of that no matter how much I read. I think books are multiplying when I sleep.

I think books are multiplying when I sleep.

I am sure they do :-)

I am sure they do :-)

Me too...they must 😊

You have to keep the boy books and the girl books in separate rooms. And lock the doors.

You have to keep the boy books and the girl books in separate rooms. And lock the doors.

Yes, but they're notoriously difficult to sex!

Yes, but they're notoriously difficult to sex!

Yes that's why I haven't been successful. Mine are multiplying like crazy!

If your books are multiplying like Oryctolagus cuniculus, then you must especially keep away from those "Rabbit" books by John Updike!

Oryctolagus

I'd be more worried about Brer Rabbit than about John Updike! :-]

It sounds great!
We already hoped for it!

Sounds great! I would definitely try to come. Never been to Finland before.

Amazing! I have missed the previous conventions held in Scandinavia so would love a chance to go to Finland. Look forward to hearing more.

That's great news, TeamFinland2021! Looking forward to hear more soon:-) Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or need some help from a preivous convention organiser.

Great! I have never been there!
And now I'll start to knitt a sweater for my motorhome ;-)

Since my holiday last year in Finnland i love it. Tell me the date and town and I will ne there. That is so fantastic!

I survived a snowstorm in Oslo; I'm sure I'll cope with whatever Finland throws at me!

Yes please! That would be very nice!

Got my vote.

Wonderful! Sounds great!!! 🤗😊👍

Wow great 🤗😍🤗

Wow great 🤗😍🤗

Yes ! It will be great for me : I don't know Finland !

Yes please - I want a good excuse to visit Finland again :)

Yes please - I want a good excuse to visit Finland again :)

Sounds great. I visited Finland in 2007. I released books there and not only in Helsinki.

BallyMoomin. I'm liking the sound of this. 😊😊😊

feltre 3 mos ago
Great!
I've never been in Finland, that's a great opportunity!

I would definitely come!!

I know the idea of organising a Convention might be a bit frightening but as others have already kindly pointed out , you don’t have to do all on your own.there are lots of Bookcrossers around the world including me who would love to help

I would love to visit Finland again - especially with a BC-convention! <3

I would love to visit Finland again - especially with a BC-convention! <3

I too.

But how about a little later in the year when it's a bit warmer? Remembering chilly Oslo and comments I heard. Nothing negative about Oslo, except some would have preferred a bit warmer weather.

But how about a little later in the year when it's a bit warmer?

As you know, it's connected to BookCrossing Day.

Up to now it has been, and I know there has been previous push back to have conventions around the anniversary of when the site was set up. When the founders came to the conventions it was nice to have the connection to the date, but that hasn’t happened for a very long time. conventions are organised by volunteers and have had no formal support. If volunteers want to create a convention during their countries spring/summer than there is no rule stating they can not.

conventions are organised by volunteers and have had no formal support. If volunteers want to create a convention during their countries spring/summer than there is no rule stating they can not.

There is no such rule, but it would probably not be fair to call it the International BC Anniversary Convention, seeing as it doesn't happen around the anniversary.
And there is a form of support: the BC Supply Store shows up at most Anniversary Conventions and if that can't happen a box of stuff will usually be sent over.

By the way. Bruce made a virtual appearance in Mainz by means of Skype.

It's true that the Conventions are organised by the members. But they're not fully separated from BookCrossing as an organisation, no matter how we define that.

conventions are organised by volunteers and have had no formal support. If volunteers want to create a convention during their countries spring/summer than there is no rule stating they can not.

There is no such rule, but it would probably not be fair to call it the International BC Anniversary Convention, seeing as it doesn't happen around the anniversary.

Fair enough about the terminology. I thought the event was called the International Bookcrossing convention, and all other organised events were Uncons or meetups.

I believe at this point insisting it has to happen in a certain month is beginning to border on strange, the international conventions are a voluntary spin off of this site.

I believe at this point insisting it has to happen in a certain month is beginning to border on strange, the international conventions are a voluntary spin off of this site.

Well, I can hardly insist on anything. I'm just stating my opinion.

I would add that having the convention in April and the UK uncon in Sept/Oct, means I can often attend both which I might not be able to do if they were closer together. However, I don't know when other uncons are or if this is a consideration for other bookcrossers.

Having said that, I'd love to go to Finland!

Up to now it has been, and I know there has been previous push back to have conventions around the anniversary of when the site was set up. When the founders came to the conventions it was nice to have the connection to the date, but that hasn’t happened for a very long time. conventions are organised by volunteers and have had no formal support. If volunteers want to create a convention during their countries spring/summer than there is no rule stating they can not.

I second that - and I think it would be great to have in mind the condition in the particular country

Rules can also be modified 😉

some would have preferred a bit warmer weather

The weather in Mainz wasn't so great either, but the people obviously enjoyed the convention ;-)

But how about a little later in the year when it's a bit warmer? Remembering chilly Oslo and comments I heard. Nothing negative about Oslo, except some would have preferred a bit warmer weather.

Gothenburg had a lovely weather, sunny and warm! If the convention had taken place in Finland this year, you would have had the same kind of sunny weekend. Then again, it can SNOW in Finland around Midsummer and the grass can be green at Christmas, so you can never be really sure when it comes to weather around here. But that's part of the adventure, I'd say, facing different seasons in different countries!

But that's part of the adventure, I'd say, facing different seasons in different countries!

you are right :-)

Gothenburg had a lovely weather, sunny and warm! If the convention had taken place in Finland this year, you would have had the same kind of sunny weekend. Then again, it can SNOW in Finland around Midsummer and the grass can be green at Christmas, so you can never be really sure when it comes to weather around here. But that's part of the adventure, I'd say, facing different seasons in different countries!

As I remember, the weather was sunny and nice during the convention in Oslo (ok, the snow arrived on Monday). When it comes to the weather - especially in the Nordic countries - you never now. It can be a nice spring, and a rainy and chilly summer. If warm and nice weather is a must, the Nordic countries would be excluded for arranging the Convention.

If warm and nice weather is a must, the Nordic countries would be excluded for arranging the Convention.

AND Germany, because the weather was quite awful in Mainz. In fact I think it might have been warmer and less rainy in Finland on that weekend ;)
I guess those who can't be anywhere without guaranteed sun & heat will just have to settle for Gold Coast!

And if it had to be sunny without rain, UK and Ireland would be out, too.

We have a saying in Norway: There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Chilly weather isn't a problem if you dress accordingly. ;-)

We have a saying in Norway: There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Chilly weather isn't a problem if you dress accordingly. ;-)

But for people from warm weather, we don't know how to "dress accordingly". It took me a while to figure out that when I was cold in cold weather, it's not because I'm so weak but because the winter clothes that I buy in warm places are only for looks. The real clothes designed for people in cold weather has little features that help keep body heat in and cold air out, designed for utility rather than style. Even shoes too...

Of course nowadays we can go online and shop. But I tried to make do with what I have already, not wanting to buy pricey things I'd use once a year or less, figuring if I bring all my thick clothes and layer them one on top of the other it would work, but sadly it didn't. : (

But I tried to make do with what I have already

Layers should be the answer as warm air is trapped between each layer. The base layer should take moisture away from your skin, so no cotton. The mid layer is the important one to provide insulation, micro-fleeces, merino wool tops, breathable fleece or thin insulated jackets, and an outer layer to protect you from the wind and rain - waterproof and breathable if possible. Using a layering system will allow you to self regulate your own body temperature as you feel necessary.

I live in Scotland so, yes, I do need it more than others here but I don't spend a lot of money. I find if my extremities are warm I'm OK - feet. hands and ears. I often go out walking and need to remove my gloves and hat because I'm too hot.

Azuki: one of the secrets of staying warm is head, hands and feet. (A fave rock band had that same name...but I digress...) Once you've figured out what kind of jacket/sweater works, make sure you also have a hat, mitts or gloves and shoes that are sturdy (thick-soled to keep pavement chill away from your feet) with good treads (in case it's a bit slippery - i.e. rain may fall, then freeze) - and make sure your footwear won't get soaked in rain, sleet or snow. Hiking boots work well - i.e. Merrell, Keen, or Blundstones, or any other heavier type of footwear. I don't mean those great, big mountain climbing kind of boots, I mean ones for rugged walking/hiking. Running shoes/lighter shoes on a warm day are OK, but they are terrible in cold and/or wet weather, and have no grip on slippery roads/sidewalks. I used to be amazed at how teen-agers walked around Toronto in the winter, no boots, no hat, no gloves, and wearing just a hoodie and Vans. I think it was so they'd look "cool", but they must have been miserable!

...of being behind TeamFinland2021 on the Finnish forum. Time to ask around here. Who are you?

TeamFinland2021 3 mos ago
:D
So great to see how many of you would come to Finland! We'll tell you more soon! :)

wingkirjakkowing 3 mos ago
VS: :D
ApoloniaX, this must be you!

Bookgirrl 3 mos ago
RE: :D
Hey! I bought Marimekko napkins in Mainz - the exact same pattern/colour as the Finland Team logo. (I have a thing for Marimekko) Hmmmm....Apolonia...is that you? The suspense is killing me - it's worse than a Peter Robinson murder mystery! :)

MLA 3 mos ago
RE: :D
So great to see how many of you would come to Finland! We'll tell you more soon! :)

Better sooner than later, we are very curious and are waiting for any news.

...right now! ☃☃☃

...right now! ☃☃☃

And in Norway too, it's snow in the air in Oslo right now.

And in Norway too, it's snow in the air in Oslo right now.

And in (some parts of) Scotland too.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.