corner corner Countdown for Oslo - who has already arrived (at home)?

Forum | << Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Countdown for Oslo - who has already arrived (at home)?

I am currently packing my stuff - I am so excited!!!

Complete Thread

Previous  1 2  

Profile Image

Just arrived

Finally here. Thanks for the great information. It was very easy
Profile Image
I used the special Oslo Convention Label that Poodlesister sent me a few weeks ago...THANKS AGAIN, Poodlesister!!! ; )

***OOOPS...be back shortly to post the book and it's link. I forgot to transfer the scanned photo I made of the label into the journal entry, and do the official release notes for the books I released to celebrate BC Day today.

HAVE A FABULOUS TIME EVERYONE!!! : D

EDITED to add book link, however...the site has been having a lot of difficulty during the past several hours. I am just now able to get back on, so while the Journal Entry is complete, I've not yet been able to make the official release notes. It's 3:30am here, and I've been going since 6am yesterday, so now I need a bit of sleep first. ; )

Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14512881
Profile Image

We do, we absolutely do, it's a brilliant convention! It's so good to meet old friends again, and to meet new people - and be able to connect faces with BCers I've known for years from the forums. The organisers are doing a terrific job!
Profile Image

We do, we absolutely do, it's a brilliant convention! It's so good to meet old friends again, and to meet new people - and be able to connect faces with BCers I've known for years from the forums. The organisers are doing a terrific job!

+1
Profile Image
I used the special Oslo Convention Label that Poodlesister sent me a few weeks ago...THANKS AGAIN, Poodlesister

Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14512881

Glad you've had fun joining in from afar. This has been a great convention.
Profile Image
I've been having a great time visiting the other Oslo threads to see the photos and hear about all of the traveling, fun and excitement everyone is experiencing!!! ; )
Profile Image
We'll have Thai food at http://www.tuktukthaioslo.com/en/ Møllergata 8
(that's Cassiopaeia, rahar109 and me)
Most probably rather early, i.e. we'll be there just before 6pm.
Profile Image
I'll probably join you.
Profile Image
Fiona and I will join you.
Profile Image
I'll probably be there too. :-)
Profile Image
I have made a booking at the restaurant for 6 persons.
We are 7 persons now, ApoloniaX, Cassiopaeia, rahar109, MLA (probably), Fiona, LeishaCamden (probably) and I. I will wait until after lunch to see if more people are joining, and send an updated booking to the restaurant.
Profile Image
I'll be there for sure.
Profile Image
Thanks for making the reservation. Is it for 6pm? Looking forward to meeting you!
Profile Image
Hi,

d-Vineland and me would also like to join you, if possible :).
Profile Image
Hi,

d-Vineland and me would also like to join you, if possible :).
You are in!
Profile Image
if possible I'd like to join you too
Profile Image
if possible I'd like to join you too
I am sure the restaurant can squeeze you in.
Profile Image
We'd love to join you too (Enitnaj, oehoeboeroe, janna2 and Fifna )
Profile Image
We are interested (Ardik and me) and we can make it at 18:00. If this means we can meet with LeishaCamden at the same time, that's great and convenient!
Profile Image
We are interested (Ardik and me) and we can make it at 18:00. If this means we can meet with LeishaCamden at the same time, that's great and convenient!

I will be there ... but between arriving in the city after work (I work in another county, not the neighboring county to Oslo, but the next one after that! :-) and meeting you at the restaurant, I have to go to a friend's house to feed her pet turtle who is home alone. I really should have been there this weekend, but it was hard to find the time ... ;-) So I'm not 100% sure I will make it by 6 but even if I am a little late, I will be there. :-)
Profile Image
http://www.tuktukthaioslo.com/en/ Møllergata 8
Now I have booked for 7 more (LeishaCamden, Enitnaj, oehoeboeroe, janna2, Fifna, Moem and Ardik). I have booked the table for 17:45, but said that some will come around 18:00.

Profile Image
Please count me in, too :-)
Profile Image
Please count me in, too :-)
calisson and Diotallevi, you are in. I have just confirmed with the restaurant.
Profile Image
LOL... we thought maybe one or two people might join us... haha. See you soon!
Thank you for constantly updating the reservation, travelina!
Profile Image
Oh, what a pity. I saw this too late, but hope you had/have a good dinner.
Profile Image

Finally!

Finally I'm on my bus home! Arrived at the bus terminal around 10.50, and say down there and read a bit while waiting for the bus to leave at 11.40. But that bus didn't show up at all. No information on the screens or loudhailers about it.... So I ended up taking the next bus, that left at 12.40! The bus driver had spent several hours getting back to Hønefoss earlier in the morning, due to the snowfall and stucked cars/trailers (normally he should have used 1 hour 15 minutes).
Profile Image
I think we should have a round2 for the prize of the most unlucky bookcrossers. I bumped into Rochester74 and lamelemon who had been queueing for hours at the check-in desk only to find that their flight had been cancelled. They were queueing again for a hotel voucher.
Profile Image
Got rebooked on a morning flight and am now in a airport hotel. Met chawoso at the airport and her flight was still on. Lucky her, we have the same destination.
Unfortunately lamelemon is booked to another hotel. So we cannot have our planned hotelbarmeetup.
Profile Image
Was the snowfall so heavy, that flights were cancelled ... In the city it didn't look like.

Hopefully, tomorrow you will all get home well.
Profile Image
Was the snowfall so heavy, that flights were cancelled ... In the city it didn't look like.

No, there wasn't any snow at the ground in the city as I could see. But I hadn't travelled that far on the bus before I saw snow on the ground. And at a part of the road where my bus drove, the traffic had stopped completely in the early morning due to cars/trailers that got into trouble. And I saw several cars and buses covered in snow, after being parked for a while. So I'm not surprised that there was trouble at the airport as well.
Profile Image
Thank you for the explanation and the photo. Looks like quite a lot of snow at Holmenkollen.

I hope, there won't be any problems with traffic today. In Oslo a bit of snow is falling like yesterday. I'm going to Bergen by train in about an hour. Maybe I will see a snowy landscape.
Profile Image

Hopefully, tomorrow you will all get home well.

My flight was two hours late but I made it home. I did see that lots of flights were cancelled.
Profile Image
I think we should have a round2 for the prize of the most unlucky bookcrossers. I bumped into Rochester74 and lamelemon who had been queueing for hours at the check-in desk only to find that their flight had been cancelled. They were queueing again for a hotel voucher.

I agree
Profile Image

I agree
We'll do it!
The three bookcrossers that already have received their prizes are out of the competition.
Please nominate unlucky bookcrossers, and tell the story.

We will have up to three "winners" (if you can say so about having bad luck).
Profile Image
I will start with one nominee: Faizy. Due to a misunderstanding between MissMarkey and myself he was not shown the way to the Cin Cin Cafe, and did not get the Saturday night dinner as planed. He used the time to buy some souvenirs, but in my view that is a rather poor sustitute for a good reindeer pizza, and I think he is a very stong candidate for the most unlucky bookcrosser - part2.
Profile Image
Some more unlucky participants:

Gizmopuddy: forgot the wallet at the airplane, due to fellow passengers in a hurry to reach another flight. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/541472

Rochester74, lamelemon, Krissa33, Jemlire; cancelled flight due to snowfall

Poodlesister: flight 2 hours delayed due to snowfall

Me (CathrineB): not as unlucky as the others, but was stucked for an extra hour at the bus terminal, as the bus I intended to take home was cancelled due to the snow.
Profile Image
Reading the storries, I think we have had far too many unlucky bookcrossers, feels bad! I hope there is some truth in the saying "common fait is common concolation", though:-) And in the saying "it could always be worse"... (keyword: volcano... as I do not want to start any award for the convention with the most unluck, I will not say more...)

I will allow for any further details to the storries until the end of today, and then sum up "The most unlucky bookcrosser - part2"-competion tomorrow.
Profile Image
Our flight this morning to Paris was cancelled, and now we are in Amsterdam waiting for another flight tout Bordeaux.
Finally we'll get home today, but late in the evening.
So I must take a half day off tomorrow morning, but no problem! Jemlire goes back to work only next week

Wish you à nice evening, and see you next year in Bordeaux!
Profile Image
Lots of snow, but only very few cancelled flights (Trondheim, Bergen). I wouldn't have minded another day here...
Profile Image
Due to the snow there were a problem at the airport yesterday (Monday) and cancelled flights. Today it should be better.

Even if there were not snow in the city center of Oslo, there were enough of that white suff elswere (like in Holmenkollen in Oslo) to cause trouble in traffic and airport(s).
Profile Image
So far everything looks quite alright at the airport today.
Profile Image

It seems we can travel without any delay.
Profile Image

It seems we can travel without any delay.

I made it home on time today. And the airprthotel severed an ecxelent dinner yesterday and a very good breakfast this morning.
Profile Image

However just half an hour after I wrote this I met Havelblume who had been waiting for a flight since yesterday. Now she was hoping to get a flight to Berlin at 6pm. Hopefully she made it and has finally arrived home by now.
Profile Image
whose flight was cancelled because of snow - they arranged her hotel for her overnight but she didn't get there till 2am so only managed a few hours' sleep before having to get up for the next plane home.

I don't qualify because I already was the 2nd-most unlucky, but when I got to the airport there was no sign of my flight on the board; in fact it had been rescheduled to around 11am, so I had to buy a new ticket for the evening flight, 4000 NOK, wait around in the airport for 5 hours, then the flight was late and I didn't get to Zurich till midnight and missed the last train to Lausanne, so had to book into a hotel for the night as I didn't fancy spending another 5 hours on a bench at the railway station. Thank goodness for credit cards.

I still think the worst thing is getting your duty-free goods confiscated by customs, how mean of them.
Profile Image
I think I need to relinquish my unluckiest bookcrosser prize - or maybe I'll wait until I get home...
Profile Image
I don't qualify because I already was the 2nd-most unlucky, but when I got to the airport there was no sign of my flight on the board; in fact it had been rescheduled to around 11am, so I had to buy a new ticket for the evening flight, 4000 NOK, wait around in the airport for 5 hours, then the flight was late and I didn't get to Zurich till midnight and missed the last train to Lausanne, so had to book into a hotel for the night as I didn't fancy spending another 5 hours on a bench at the railway station. Thank goodness for credit cards.
My instructions were a bit inaccurate. You can not participate in both parts with the same unlucky incident, but your second unlucky incident qualifies you for the most unlucky bookcrosser - part2.
Profile Image
but some people had to wait 11 hours at the airport; I think I would have died of boredom.
Profile Image
but some people had to wait 11 hours at the airport; I think I would have died of boredom.
I just say you qualify..., not that you will win:-)
Profile Image
who arrived home but without her luggage which had not boarded the plane in Oslo.
Profile Image
apparently had to wait 11 hours at Gardermoen airport because of the snow issues... I was a bit sad needing to leave already so early on Sunday, but now must say that I'm very very glad I didn't have to try leaving on Monday!!
Profile Image
apparently had to wait 11 hours at Gardermoen airport because of the snow issues... I was a bit sad needing to leave already so early on Sunday, but now must say that I'm very very glad I didn't have to try leaving on Monday!!

LOL! I don't know if you heard this during your stay here, but we have a saying in Norwegian which fits very well here - Aldri så galt at det ikke er godt for noe. It means "nothing is ever so bad that it isn't good for something". ;-)

Glad you made it home alright! :-)
Profile Image

LOL! I don't know if you heard this during your stay here, but we have a saying in Norwegian which fits very well here - Aldri så galt at det ikke er godt for noe. It means "nothing is ever so bad that it isn't good for something". ;-)

Glad you made it home alright! :-)

We have the same saying in Finnish and yes, it fits myself perfectly in this case :D After reading these horror stories I'm almost embarrassed to say how smoothly everything went for me... My flight arrived even a few minutes ahead of schedule and I managed to catch a bus that I never in my wildest dreams thought possible to catch; scheduled arrival at Helsinki airport 19:50, bus to Turku leaves at 20:00 and believe it or not, I was on that bus! Travelling only with cabin luggage truly has its advantages!
Profile Image
On Monday morning I woke up at 6 am to get ready and go to the airport. I had I booked I flight to Athens via Zurich. As I had only hand luggage, I went strait for gates... to find out that the flight to Zurich was cancelled.

My cell phone is a very old one with no access to Internet and, as I had passed the security checkpoint, I could not go to an information desk. I texted my husband and asked him to contact the airline and give me some information but he was in a meeting at work and didn't see my sms. Then I texted Alexandra (alexotanil) and asked for help.
She and my husband informed me that I was transferred in a flight to Frankfurt that was ready to part. I run, holding a suitcase without wheels, and managed to catch the plane. Due to the ice on the runway and the wings, we took off very late and, despite the fact that I run madly, I missed the flight to Athens and had to wait 5 hours for the next. I arrived home at about 11.30 pm.
Profile Image
Wow, that's quite an adventure! Glad to hear you got home safely, but 5 hours... that's no fun at all.
Profile Image
The worst thing for me was wondering around at the airport of Oslo without access to any information.
Profile Image
I don't really think I deserved the prize for bad luck on the way to Oslo - especially after reading all those stories.... my many books weren't confiscated after all, I only got a funny story to tell. But my mother really likes the Norway book, I might have to leave it with her. And I had an uneventful journey to Germany, everything went smoothly, and even my luggage arrived. The snow has come along with me though, I don't like that at all... But in three days I'll be in the desert and will enjoy the wonderful reading area of Abu Dhabi airport :-)
Profile Image
and the welcome we received, and the brilliant organisation, far outweighs the problems we had getting back home, inconveniences we will soon forget about! Maybe Oslo wanted us to stay longer...
Profile Image
I feel kind of guilty since I was responsible for the weather.

But, it was all in good intent - we enjoyed it so much that we wanted you to stay in Oslo longer.
Profile Image

I am feeling really guilty when I read about all the unlucky bookcrossers - but then I won first prize together with Lyttletonwitch last year in Athens - ...

Goldenwattle and I are still in Norway, having a great time - first on the train, we had a camp fire in the snow !! at the best B&B ever - in Gol, we saw tons of snow snow snow between Gol and Myrdal.

Now we are in Bergen since Tuesday evening, the weather is mostly fine but very cold . I met with Azuki and Yogischoko exploring the town together.

I went on a fjord cruise, tomorrow I will hike along another fjord and hope I will get no sunburn. No joking!
Profile Image
... that the thread's title has been changed :-) Still not home. But soon.
I'm waiting to board my plane to Abu Dhabi and visit the airport's lovely reading area... of course I've come prepared with books... one about Abu Dhabi that was given to me by Cassiopaeia, two from the convention's left-overs and three that my mother "donated" for this purpose. Hope to hear from them again soon.
Profile Image
I didn't realise that it could be this many unlucky bookcrossers when I introduced the unluky bookcrossers-part2, and selecting the 3 most unlucky was just to difficult. I have therefore instead put all 16 of you in the hat, and made a draw of 5 persons who get wings for one month. manuma, lamelemon, Cassiopaeia, Faizy and puskailves, one month of wings is on the way to you.

To all you unlucky ones, may good luck come your way!

PS: A little update on the weather in Oslo: On Saturday I walked The Harbour Promenade (Havnepromenaden). It stretches nine kilometres along Oslo's water front. The sun was out all day, temperatures well above 20 degrees, and when I came to Sørenga with its seawater pool, it was packed with people in sunbading and wearing their bikinis. Then today in Oslo, it has been snowing!
Profile Image
Then today in Oslo, it has been snowing!

This is when we need a like button!
Profile Image
This is when we need a like button!

I must politely disagree. I'm always so happy that we don't have one. Writing some words means so much more. Even if it's just 'Nice!' or 'Great!' it's already more expressive than a like button.

What were you trying to express anyway?
Profile Image
Did type a long explanation to that but it vanished so I'm not going to bother doing it again. Maybe that is an explanation in itself. Not the one I was trying to make though.

Profile Image
Thank you so much! To be honest, a lot of people had it way worse than I did - I actually enjoyed my extra night, nose stuck to the window watching the snow, warm bed, good book and handy reading light :)
Profile Image
I think we must all take turns...my unlucky experience happened in Dublin. I was pleased to help out one of the Dubliners that helped me in Dublin, whilst in Oslo, making sure she could enjoy her time there. I'm glad everyone got back in one piece and very much look forward to catching up with you all again soon...in Bordeaux or perhaps before in the UK. Thank you everyone that organised the convention for such lovely food, helpful and friendly people making a superb atmosphere I was sorry not to spend so much time catching up this time round as I only briefly got to talk to a few of you but chatterbox as I am I'll be sure to make up for it in the future! And another thing! - the Oslo trip has turned my cousin into a very enthusiastic bookcrosser who will be signing up her daughter soon too! Thank you for such a great trip everyone :0)

Previous  1 2  

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.