corner corner Countdown for Oslo - who has already arrived (at home)?

Forum | << Conventions and Meetings | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Hello ApoloniaX! 'Glad you got here ok. When we had the Convention in Toronto (2006) a UK Bookcrosser also had a big hassle with authorities over books she was bringing. Mostly old, dog-eared paperbacks, but they still gave her trouble.

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image

I am currently packing my stuff - I am so excited!!!
Profile Image
I happen to know that Bookgirrl and DonFiction are on their way as we speak!

Have a great convention, everyone!
Profile Image
Profile Image
arrive in Oslo and go to Tromso from wednesday to thursday

See you thursday night at Heim St. Hanshaugen - we are so exited!

Profile Image
It says on the schedule that registration opens 15:30 on Friday, but will there still be people around & the doors open before that? I would gladly drop off my books before checking in at the hostel, sometime between 14-15 I guess...
Profile Image
It says on the schedule that registration opens 15:30 on Friday, but will there still be people around & the doors open before that? I would gladly drop off my books before checking in at the hostel, sometime between 14-15 I guess...

The committee will be at the venue (most of us) from the morning on Friday, so you are welcome to drop off your books before the registration.
Profile Image

The committee will be at the venue (most of us) from the morning on Friday, so you are welcome to drop off your books before the registration.

Thanks, good to know that!
Profile Image

On Friday it seems some from the committee will be there from noon, but the doors will most likely be closed then. We will put up signs on which entrence to use. Knock on the door or call/text if no one opens (I'll pm my mobile number). We have several rooms and could be at another room when you arrive before 15, or just outside for last minute shopping.
Profile Image
Will do my packing tomorrow. Very excited!
Profile Image
Very excited!

Your username seems particularly apt today. :-)
Profile Image
I leave tomorrow evening and will arrive Wednesday afternoon! So excited!
Profile Image
In the middle of packing. Arriving Wednesday afternoon.
Profile Image
and just checked in for my flight tomorrow.
Profile Image

Mee too now :-)
Profile Image
... except some things that lils74 will give me tomorrow morning. Will leave for the airport in the evening and land in Oslo at 2pm on Wednesday.
Profile Image
I'm sooo excited! Feltre and I arrive on Wednesday evening.
Profile Image
Feltre and I arrive on Wednesday evening.

I'm so happy that I get to see both of you again, very soon! Ardik and I will arrive the same evening, quite late.
Profile Image
I'm also arriving Wednesday afternoon.
Profile Image
I arrive Friday evening :)
Profile Image

We are here!

Arrived in Oslo this afternoon, and, after some trouble with a wrong door code, unpacked our stuff in our cozy AirBNB apartment. We are ready to explore tomorrow.
Profile Image
and will have sightseeing day by tram
Profile Image
and will habe sightseeing day by tram
Hope you had a good time near Ringebu for the Easter holiday, Lesenmachtfroh
Profile Image
I really had a good time there, thank you
Profile Image
Lovely to hear from so many of you, whether you are already here in Norway/Oslo, on the way here or making your last preparations to come to Oslo. We are so excited to see you all!

twittering or putting out photos on instagram, remember to use hashtag #bcoslo2017
Profile Image
I am just getting started to check the weather, which train to take to the airport, how to get to Olso city from the airport, how my things will fit into the suitcase...
Profile Image
Waiting to board the plane at Kathmandu airport :-)
Profile Image
Have a safe flight, ApoloniaX!
Profile Image

Thank you!
They checked my suitcase! Found it suspicious to see that many books on their x-ray monitor, so I had to explain... My Nepali isn't good enough to explain what bookcrossing releases are, but I said something about a literature conference :-)
Profile Image

Thank you!
They checked my suitcase! Found it suspicious to see that many books on their x-ray monitor, so I had to explain... My Nepali isn't good enough to explain what bookcrossing releases are, but I said something about a literature conference :-)

Ha Ha. First time that books have been considered suspicious at the airport!! I have had to ditch books before due to weight but never had to explain why I had them!
Profile Image
knitting and reading while I wait for manuma to arrive. We are sharing a room.
Profile Image
knitting

Maybe I should bring some knitting?!
Profile Image
knitting and reading while I wait for manuma to arrive. We are sharing a room.

what is your room number??

cu tomorrow night when I check in?
Profile Image
My room number is 415.
Profile Image
My room number is 415.

I hope I will check in in 45 minutes
Profile Image
and staying till next week Thursday.

I'll bring my crochet project. So far, the only norwegian product I am aware of is Drops yarn ...
Profile Image
Than I guess I will watch out for you at Frankfurt Airport :-)
Profile Image

Might see you in Frankfurt Airport. I've been stuck here since 4pm. Waitlisted on all flights tomorrow but they are all fully booked.
Profile Image
Might see you in Frankfurt Airport. I've been stuck here since 4pm. Waitlisted on all flights tomorrow but they are all fully booked.

Oh dear :-(
I am on the 13:15 flight and I guess divenland too.
Profile Image

Oh dear :-(
I am on the 13:15 flight and I guess divenland too.

Yes, I am. Will we recognize one another? Or do you want to PM me your phone-number? Maybe we could sit together? (Normally I am quite early at the airport, I use public transport, therefore I mistrust it ...)
Profile Image
Will we recognize one another?

Yes we will :-)
I am headding off now.
Profile Image

oh no!!!!
Profile Image
I keep my fingers crossed for you.
My suitcase is not yet fully packed and I'm leaving in the middle of the night to catch an early flight from Frankfurt. Perhaps we will fly together.
Profile Image
In the lead is: earthcaroleanne

Was scanned, searched, bag searched and explosives checked before they took her duty free off her at Frankfurt airport. Missed her connecting flight, and have to stay over in Frankfurt, and will not be in Oslo before tomorrow.

I don't know what is worst, loosing the duty free or being delayed:-)

Fingers crossed she will get to Oslo tomorrow without further delays, and that there will be no other contestants in the "most unlucky convention participant"-competition.

By the way; We will have a RABCK-table (Random Act of BookCrossing Kindness - gift table) at the convention:-)
Profile Image
German security obviously think I look suspicious. My bag and I were again scanned, searched and checked for explosives. Plus for good measure they added partially undressing in public!
Profile Image
incredible.... where are you now, are you booked onto a flight?
Profile Image
German security obviously think I look suspicious. My bag and I were again scanned, searched and checked for explosives. Plus for good measure they added partially undressing in public!

Oh that's not good ...
Profile Image
earthcaroleanne, by chance do you put a lot of lotion on your hands? I found that if I use lotion, they always pull me aside to swipe my luggage and do a thorough search. Now I've learned not to rub any lotion on my hands even if they are very dry, till I pass security!

I'm not kidding... read this:
http://fashionista.com/---/why-your-body-lotion-could-set-off-the-airport-explosives-detector

As for myself, I've finished packing. Hope I've packed enough warm clothes, as this is the furthest north I've travelled in my life!! Coming from a place where anything below 16C is considered a cold front.
Profile Image
I definitely don't qualify as 'most unlucky', but since lower-scoring competitors only make the winners look more rightfully glorious:

the sole on one of my shoes came more than halfway loose before I even made it to the train station in my home town. You can imagine how hard that made walking, especially with luggage including the little bike!
I was then lucky enough to find a friendly man in Schiphol airport who offered to glue it back on, free of charge, because the actual shoe repair person was not present; the catch was that I needed to allow the glue to dry for several hours. So I walked all around Schiphol on my flimsy Ikea slippers, and even ran to the gate on them after being held up in Security; we made it to the plane in time, and I arrived in Oslo on those same slippers. Then as we were waiting for our luggage, I put tape all around the shoe just in case and then finally put it back on again. By that time, my feet were pretty unhappy.
The glue held all week long! Thank you, friendly shoe fixing man at Schiphol.
Profile Image

Packing

right now but I am getting complaints from my husband. He wonders why I pack two days before my trip this time (when he is not coming with me) when I normally pack 10 minutes before we leave for a trip ;D
Profile Image
right now but I am getting complaints from my husband. He wonders why I pack two days before my trip this time (when he is not coming with me) when I normally pack 10 minutes before we leave for a trip ;D

Because it takes a lot of time to squish all those books in there and sit on the suitcase to try to close it without taking out any of the hundreds of books you are taking with you to release???
Profile Image
I will do my packing tomorrow and travel on Thursday.
Profile Image
We're at Keflavik Airport, Iceland. Flight at 7:50am to Oslo. Whooooo hoooo! (Donfiction and Bookgirrl)
Profile Image
I'm hanging around at B12... until about 11:25. (12-o'clock flight) Still there, earthcaroleanne???
Profile Image
I'm hanging around at B12... until about 11:25. (12-o'clock flight) Still there, earthcaroleanne???

Sorry I missed you. Security had me for a while again this morning and I got on the first flight I was waitlisted on. No diversion via Hamburg thankfully. See you soon.
Profile Image
arrived yesterday, and spend a very nice evening at Jaipur restaurant with Lesenmachtfroh. Now we are on the way to Tromso
Profile Image
arrived yesterday, and spend a very nice evening at Jaipur restaurant with Lesenmachtfroh. Now we are on the way to Tromso

I hope you enjoy Tromsø.
If you had gone "a bit" further north, you would get to my hometown - Hammerfest.
Profile Image
Just sitting here gathering my wits together, hoping I haven't forgotten anything vital.
Profile Image
from the airport.
Then figuring out the way to our hostel.
Profile Image
from the airport.
Then figuring out the way to our hostel.

If you're staying at Anker Hostel it's a 10-15 minutes walk from Oslo Sentral Staion.

Or you could take tram 12, 13 or 17 from Oslo Train station /Jernbanetorget to the stop called Hausmanns gate (I think it's the second stop). You can also take bus no. 30.
Profile Image
Thanks, I found it - we walked.
Profile Image
Finally, after more than 24 hours and no sleep at all on the planes... but I'm so happy to be here :-)
Profile Image
Willkommen!
Profile Image
Hello ApoloniaX! 'Glad you got here ok. When we had the Convention in Toronto (2006) a UK Bookcrosser also had a big hassle with authorities over books she was bringing. Mostly old, dog-eared paperbacks, but they still gave her trouble.
Profile Image
Profile Image

I am changing planes in Hamburg, will be arriving in 2 hours in Oslo I hope
Profile Image
that our coffee table and bookshelf upon which we had deposited our things last night had gone and all out things laid out on dining table. Manuma not happy. She has been down to reception to ask for them back! Fancy stealing a bookshelf from bookcrossers! That is not on!
Update...Manuma went down to complain again and came back with an ironing table. Will this help said the poor girl on the,Reception desk. Makes a reasonable coffee table but what about the bookshelf?
Profile Image
Got here at 5pm and unpacked my travel kettle to make a cup of tea after an unplanned room change as the first one wasn't ready. Going to wander out now.
Profile Image
I wish I'd brought a travel kettle too
Profile Image
Unpacking and relaxing.
Profile Image
and will hopefully arrive in half an hour at our airbnb . See some of you tomorrow at the city tour
Profile Image
and the messiest of bookcrossers, labeling, registering and pre-releasing her stash of the week.

I love my room, so glad I chose this (and so is my wallet, yay, more beer).

I checked in around 3 PM and had a tasty sandwich and beer at Den Glade Gris, which is very close.

I was on the point of losing my first plane (from Bucharest to Vienna) after queuing for the longest, most gruesome security check wait. It felt like every Romanian in the world came home for Easter and flew right back when it was done! But I ran for my life after getting out of there, and I was second to last to board my flight :) Everything went smoothly from there, with the funny exception of waiting for my luggage at the wrong belt for close to an hour (me and most of my second plane, that is). Belt 1 was listed to hold bags from my flight, but all of them were actually on belt 8 ..
Profile Image
I can help with labelling, do you by any chance have a uk to europe adaptor? Yep, that's what i forgot to pack
Profile Image
I can help with labelling, do you by any chance have a uk to europe adaptor? Yep, that's what i forgot to pack

I've got two adapters which I can bring. They should work from UK to Europe, as far as I remember. I'll arrive at the Smart Hotel tomorrow.
Profile Image
If I hadn't missed out on a full night's sleep I'd come running ;-) But I can hardly keep my eyes open... Will fall asleep very soon... See you tomorrow!
(And yes, lovely rooms! Turned mine into chaos too as soon as I unpacked...)
Profile Image
I love my labeling rush, don't steal it from me :))) Steal as much candy as you like, though, and feel free to drop by
Profile Image
I am stuck at the airport in Oslo because the Ruter ticket machines don't work
Profile Image
I am stuck at the airport in Oslo , the Ruter counters are closed, all the Ruter lines are not working

A very nice lady from another ticket counter walked with me for 20 minutes through the whole airport and we got turned away 6 times.

This lady was so incredibly nice and friendly!!! I love Norwegians lol

Now I have given up and bought a train ticket, I should have been at the hotel long ago
Profile Image
but now I have an extra chocolate to keep it company. I thought only Mt TBR and my extra kilos grew by themselves whenever I try to make a dent in them.
Profile Image
Met d-vineland in Frankfurt and parted with her at Oslo centralsation. Checked in my hostel and walked around the city for 2,5 hours. Good night to you all. See you tomorrow
Profile Image
Because they had to de-ice the plane before we could set off. Hotel was an easy walk. Early to bed so I can have breakfast then get to the pier for 9.30.
Profile Image
Thank you for the offers. Lamelemon lent me her charger, so i'm ok for now. Will definitely try to buy an adaptor tomorrow
Profile Image
Thank you for the offers. Lamelemon lent me her charger, so i'm ok for now. Will definitely try to buy an adaptor tomorrow

OK, I'll bring the adaptors anyway, just in case someone else needs them.

I've had a look at the adaptors now, and they should work from UK to Europe, as well as for all other possibilities.
Profile Image

Maria, if you find some adaptors would you buy one for me too!! I can't believe I forgot to bring one!
Profile Image
I met MissMarkey and Diotallevi at the bookshelf of the Anker Hostel.

Now off to bed, I am very tired.

I like my room
Profile Image
Can't find pier 3. Have a good day without me!
Profile Image

RE: I'm lost

I've sent you a pm.
Profile Image

It is great that you found us!!
Profile Image
Yes. I will never ask anyone the way again.
Profile Image
are at the airport in Tromso waiting for our flight back to Oslo
See you tonight, have a nice sightseeing day
Profile Image
And I'm ready to leave.
Profile Image
I'm heading to Oslo as soon as I'm done at work for today, but I will og straight "home". ;-)
Profile Image
A small but nice room:)
Profile Image
A little bit tired, but looking forward to the dinner this evening. :-)
Profile Image
We are here from the netherlands! Enitnaj, fifna, janna2 and me. Today we walked the pre-convention and met a couple of familiar faces :-)
Profile Image
I arrived tomorrow at Scandic Hotel 18.00 Uhr if I take the right Bus from Airport... See you <:3~~~~
Profile Image
Wishing everyone a wonderful time and looking forward to photos and reports!
Profile Image
Wonderful time in Oslo everybody ! I'm looking forward to photos and reports too !
Profile Image
Once people are ready to post photos, could it be in a new thread, so they will be easier to follow than in an already-existing long one such as this one?

Thanks! Looking forward to sharing the excitement vicariously!

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.