corner corner 2017 Unconvention New Zealand

Forum | << Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

2017 Unconvention New Zealand

The convention for 2017 will be held on Stewart Island ( quite possibly the most remote locality ever). You can either fly to Stewart Island from Invercargill or catch the ferry from Bluff.
The Convention is planned to commence on Friday 13 October and conclude on Sunday 15 October.
CrafteeCod aka Vicki has reserved/booked 20 beds at the backpackers she manages.
Vicki is still recovering from a recent serious health event so in the meantime contact me or Kiwiinengland.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
The convention for 2017 will be held on Stewart Island ( quite possibly the most remote locality ever). You can either fly to Stewart Island from Invercargill or catch the ferry from Bluff.
The Convention is planned to commence on Friday 13 October and conclude on Sunday 15 October.
CrafteeCod aka Vicki has reserved/booked 20 beds at the backpackers she manages.
Vicki is still recovering from a recent serious health event so in the meantime contact me or Kiwiinengland.

Profile Image
You can either fly to Stewart Island from Invercargill or catch the ferry from Bluff.

I have visited it before and I took the boat. In fact, those that had chosen to fly had to take the boat too, as it was too rough to fly. I will take the boat again. It was fine. Besides, if I chose the plane I might still have to go by boat. It's only an hour's journey.
Profile Image
I have been wanting to visit NZ since I was about 10 years old (so a couple of years now) and it is looking like October will be a better time for me to travel than April for the big convention.

I would imagine accommodations are limited -- any sense of how long before I would have to give you a definite "I'm coming!"?
Profile Image
I have been wanting to visit NZ since I was about 10 years old (so a couple of years now) and it is looking like October will be a better time for me to travel than April for the big convention.

I would imagine accommodations are limited -- any sense of how long before I would have to give you a definite "I'm coming!"?

Oooooh EXCITED!!!
Profile Image
Months and months. Be wonderful to meet you.

Profile Image
If you could visit that would be brilliant!
Profile Image
The Convention is planned to commence on Friday 13 October and conclude on Sunday 17 October.

Wouldn't Sunday be the 15th of October in 2017?
Profile Image
Good spotting, thanks.
The Convention is planned to commence on Friday 13 October and conclude on Sunday 17 October.

Wouldn't Sunday be the 15th of October in 2017?

Profile Image
Thanks for posting this. I was going to email you about this. Vicki when FutureCat and I visited her was unsure about what was happening.
Profile Image
Due to her health Vicki is no longer running the Backpackers , but she has been in touch and advised me to contact Aaron who is now in charge. I have emailed him to confirm the booking as indicated and let you all know with links etc.
Still to do the FB page - a weekend task I suspect.
Profile Image
I soooo want to go to this one - I don't know when I will ever find another reason to travel to Stewart Island. Only problem is I'll be travelling somewhere in the Middle East at the time I suspect. I will have to see how the budget is going at that point in our trip, and think about whether we make a quick detour to NZ.
Profile Image
I do hope to get to this one.
Profile Image
I am hoping to go but I am still trying to get confirmation about what is happening with my work. I will hopefully get some notice early next year and I can firm things up.

I might be able to talk Oldgirl68 in coming with me.
Profile Image
This is confirmed - Aaron at the Stewart Island Backpackers confirms Vicki had booked us 20 beds.

If you are making a booking please note in the comments that you are with the Bookcrossing group.

http://www.stewartislandbackpackers.co.nz/
Profile Image

Hoping to come

I just cottoned on yesterday to the Uncon in Stewart Island next October. I'll try not to stuff up the dates like I did for Queenstown! Waiting for cheap deals on flights before booking.
Profile Image
Need to sort out flights and I am away. Really looking forward to this, will bring my boots to do some hiking and check out the kiwi tours.

There are a surprising amount of goecaches on the island also, may have to go hunt some
Profile Image
I am planning to find caches. I found many last visit, but there are new ones since. I thought maybe an outing with the BC cachers would be in order.
Profile Image
Stewart Island Bookcrossing Unconvention
will find it. Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/Stewart-Island-Bookcrossing-Unconvention-1895532580769095/

I have made it an open page so please invite others
Profile Image
After Oslo and an extended holiday. Looking forward to NZ.
Profile Image
the backpackers and the ferry. See you on Stewart Island
Profile Image
the backpackers and the ferry. See you on Stewart Island

I have booked my flights to Invercargill and will do the next bits soon. So far I know of about 8 people coming.
Profile Image
Has a good sale on today from main centres to Invercargill.

From there you can either
1. Travel to Bluff and catch a ferry across to Stewart island

or

2. Catch a flight ( three times daily) to Stewart Island from the Invercargill airport. ( $213 NZ return - discounts for those aged 65+)
Profile Image
Booked my flights, arriving Thursday, probably leaving Sunday arvo. Staying at the backpackers.

Making use of the direct Canberra - Wellington flights.

I'd be keen on seeing a bit of the island. What sort of activities are planned?
Profile Image
Booked my flights, arriving Thursday, probably leaving Sunday arvo. Staying at the backpackers.

Making use of the direct Canberra - Wellington flights.

I'd be keen on seeing a bit of the island. What sort of activities are planned?

Nothing yet but.... all will be revealed soon I am sure. Great you are coming. We are going to be at least a dozen at this stage .
Profile Image
Make that a bakers dozen! I have booked very cheap flights Melbourne to Christchurch from Thursday to Wednesday.
Profile Image
Make that a bakers dozen! I have booked very cheap flights Melbourne to Christchurch from Thursday to Wednesday.

Wonderful
Profile Image
What sort of activities are planned?

Geocaching I hope :)

I found many of them last visit, but there are now new caches as well.
Profile Image

Sad News

Unfortunately Greg and I will be unlikely starters this unconvention another trip to an island warmer than Stewart Island looks like getting in the way
Profile Image
That's a shame. Stewart Island is not as cold as people might think, as it's surrounded by water.
Profile Image
Unfortunately Greg and I will be unlikely starters this unconvention another trip to an island warmer than Stewart Island looks like getting in the way

Our apologies but we are headed to warmer islands much warmer !! Sri Lanka and Singapore
Profile Image
If you are intending to use the Stewart Island Backpackers for your accommodation please make your bookings now. Please advise that you are part of the bookcrossing group. Please note you do not have to pay until you arrive and you can cancel up until a few days before.
Profile Image
I really enjoy Stewart Island, I'll be sure to bring my walking boots and heaps of mossie repellant!
Profile Image
12 people have advised their attendance. I am now developing our activity plan. Bush walking, bird watching, fishing, a wee movie, the museum, the library, outdoor bowls, eating, drinking. Any other suggestions? I will start making bookings. It would help if you sent me your email address so I can get accurate numbers and survey you for what you most want to do. Annemariebellnz@gmail.com
Profile Image
I've got a property in Ohai, available.
Profile Image
12 people have advised their attendance. I am now developing our activity plan. Bush walking, bird watching, fishing, a wee movie, the museum, the library, outdoor bowls, eating, drinking. Any other suggestions? I will start making bookings. It would help if you sent me your email address so I can get accurate numbers and survey you for what you most want to do. Annemariebellnz@gmail.com

Geocaching, although this is part of bush walking.
Profile Image
Also the boat.

That's great. I have had a bit of a work expansion so have been too busy to work on the programme but it will happen soon.
Profile Image
I plan to go walking during the days. Geocaches to find. Have checked to see where I want to walk. But I'll be there for the planned evenings :)

The walk starting at Horseshoe Point Rd off Horseshoe Bay Rd and following a path around the peninsular to Braggs Bay Rd is a very scenic walk. It follows the coastline. I have done it before. I do prefer though to have a lift to the start and then only have to walk back to town, rather than both ways.
Profile Image
I have emailed the draft itinerary to everyone who I know is attending. if you are coming and have not told me please PM me with your email address and I will send the draft activity itinerary to you.
Profile Image
I have emailed the draft itinerary to everyone who I know is attending. if you are coming and have not told me please PM me with your email address and I will send the draft activity itinerary to you.

You appear to have ignored my request to participated in the world hopscotch challenge, which is the weekend of the UnConvention.
Profile Image
You can do what you like in your own time. I am organising a bookcrossing event.
I am concerned that those of us who are not Scots will feel excluded if you Scotch hop around the island while we are being far more sedentary.
Profile Image
You can do what you like in your own time. I am organising a bookcrossing event.
I am concerned that those of us who are not Scots will feel excluded if you Scotch hop around the island while we are being far more sedentary.

:P Fine, I'll take my scotch and hop to the hotel bar!

Although I'm actually more partial to a G&T.
Profile Image

Children now behave
Profile Image

Children now behave

If you really cared you'd ditch a holiday to a warm island and join us :P

I shall have a liquor for you and Greg!
Profile Image
I will be doing a book tree on the Friday as it is Friday 13th. Spooky will be the theme but any book will be OK and I will have the plastic bags and the string for attaching the books to the tree.
Profile Image
I will be doing a book tree on the Friday as it is Friday 13th. Spooky will be the theme but any book will be OK and I will have the plastic bags and the string for attaching the books to the tree.

Have just found a book for this. "Queen of Shadows". It's the best I could find to match this theme in my pile of books.
Profile Image
Emails sent to everyone who I know is attending with links to activity bookings
Profile Image
Emails sent to everyone who I know is attending with links to activity bookings

Thank you, looking forward to this.
Profile Image
Looking forward to Stewart Island.
Profile Image
Looking forward to spending times on an island that is like a bird sanctuary, playing bowls on the most wobbly bowls lawn in the country, and fishing for blue cod!
Profile Image
Foggy, and there was a possibility we would be diverted to Auckland.

Wrong island that would have been!
Profile Image
Will pick up FutureCat tomorrow and then drive to Dunedin and then Bluff.
Profile Image
...picking up a coffee at Christchurch airport.
Profile Image
Skyring has peeled off at Invercargill, and Edwardstreet and I are about to depart in a nine seater plane to the Island!
Profile Image
Skyring has peeled off at Invercargill, and Edwardstreet and I are about to depart in a nine seater plane to the Island!
I thought it might struggle to take off with a library of books aboard!

Kind of ashamed to admit that I didn’t recognise Edwardstreet at first. I was looking at her big bright yellow tote bag and thinking, hey I’ve got one of those, but it doesn’t look half as fresh and new.

Likewise Edwardstreet, who gave me a bit more information than I really needed about her heart surgery, but looks fabulous!

Well fabulous-er.

I decided to “peel off” to have a look around the world's southernmost city. Great day for it, I guess I’ve ticked that Invercargill box. Pleasantly stuffed with fish and chips and a local ale, I’m now registering an op shop book or two.
Profile Image
No wind. Sunshine. Lots of sandflies.
Profile Image
No wind. Sunshine.

Are you sure you're still in NZ??
Profile Image
No wind. Sunshine.
We lost the cloud over Christchurch, and it's been a sparkling clear and warm day here in the Southland. Forecast is for winds and rain and stuff, so I may regret not taking the ferry today.

Perhaps tomorrow’s breakfast will be wasted. We'll see. It will be an adventure.
Profile Image
No wind. Sunshine.
We lost the cloud over Christchurch, and it's been a sparkling clear and warm day here in the Southland. Forecast is for winds and rain and stuff, so I may regret not taking the ferry today.

Perhaps tomorrow’s breakfast will be wasted. We'll see. It will be an adventure.

Yup marine forecast not that flash. See you tomorrow night at the South Sea hotel. A table for all of us has been booked. And for those doing the bus tour see y'all at 5
Profile Image
See you tomorrow night at the South Sea hotel. A table for all of us has been booked.

Looking forward to it.

Great ferry crossing today :)
Profile Image
I left a book on Dead Mans Beach and it was caught before I could do release notes
Profile Image
Lovely weather, with bookcrossers going fishing, walking, on a bus tour, geocaching, and all meeting up for dinner.

Roll on tomorrow - with dinner in another (the only other!) Restaurant, a trip to the bird sanctuary of Ulva Island, book releasing, and relaxing planned.
Profile Image
Awaking to brilliant sunshine and another fun filled day in this Paradise called Stewart Island Rakiura.
A huge variety of activities available. And books are being released and have been caught already
Profile Image
Slip, slop, slap, wrap, slurp!
Profile Image
I have been advised that a baked blue cod meal and a cheesecake dessert were not paid by our table last night. Please pop into the restaurant and sort out thank you.
Profile Image
While travelling around the island in an electric bike I left a book at the Presbyterian church which has been caught.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12636667/
Profile Image
Good catch.
"Jo & Andys". I stayed there my last visit.
Profile Image
Good catch.
"Jo & Andys". I stayed there my last visit.

Nice, I'm thinking either the owner or a.long term stayed is a book crosser. ...
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9746311/

(Not bad, considering that, apart from the book tree, I only released two books in the wild!)
Profile Image
Thanks for organising us Edwardstreet. The Stewart Island Uncon was fabulous. The island itself is beautiful as was the wonderful tour on Ulva Island . So nice to catch up with old friends and new, sample the fresh seafood and the wine, swap a few books and get super competitive in the pub quiz. See you all next year in Hobart.
Profile Image
Yes, add my heartfelt thanks. This was the perfect unconvention: great location, a range of activities, good friends, not a lot of pressure.

I was a little unsure about the cost of the Ulva Island thing, but it turned out to be superb value. What an experience!

Loved the backpackers - basic comforts, but very thoughtfully set up. I could live in that common room for a week and have a marvellous time.
Profile Image
I've begun writing up the adventure in my travel blog. I have a bazillion photographs to sort through to find the one or two good ones.

http://athousandflights.com/barebones-bookcrossing/

There's also a giveaway contest, and a few jokes.
Profile Image
Congratulations. I am still waiting - for any book - that I released in NZ to be logged.
Profile Image
Not on Stewart Island, but a catch on my trip. Themed release.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14150069/

The International Antarctic Centre in Christchurch is worth the visit. I had a few hours to fill in while waiting for my plane. More fun than waiting in the airport.
Profile Image
Brilliant themed release, and you're so correct that a visit to the Antarctic Centre is a great thing to do. Much more interesting than hanging about an airport.

Follow the blue penguin tracks from the airport for the five minute stroll to the centre!
Profile Image
Follow the blue penguin tracks from the airport for the five minute stroll to the centre!

Yes, on a previous trip those penguin tracks made finding the centre so easy, but the tracks don't go all the way any more.
I brought that book with me from Australia with the Antarctic Centre in mind. I had planned to leave it in the room with real snow, but thought the oil drum and vehicle might be a better place, and it actually snows there too occasionally. The Centre has had improvements since my previous visit.
Profile Image
This makes a total of about 4 catches from Stewart Island.
Profile Image
Well done. I am still waiting for my first Stewart Island catch. Mind you, I only did two releases there. One themed release (Cat in a Kiwi Con) left on a Kiwi warning sign, and the other (Queen of Shadows) went on your Halloween tree.
Profile Image
I really appreciated it. Would have loved to have been there.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.