UK Unconvention 2016!

Forum » Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Advance notice that the 2016 UK Unconvention will be held in Birmingham (UK). This will be at the end of September 2016; exact date will depend on the Tory party conference dates (it's also in Birmingham).

We already have a list of exciting activities planned for attendees. Our website will be up and running before too long with further details.

In the meantime, offers of raffle prizes and items for goody bags should be made to shnedwards (Sian). Any other offers of help to katisha50 (Gill).

Brummycumber is waiting to welcome you!

Brummycumber is waiting to welcome you!

Sounds good to me! End of September .... hmmmmmmmm ....interesting ....

I might just pencil this in my diary!

Sounds like it will be an interesting day. Let me know when you decide on a date and I will write it on my calendar.

Sounds like it will be an interesting day.

Unconventions are usually weekends, Fri - Sun, and Great Fun :-)

Even better :)

I will Deffinatly be coming to the unconvention as am unable to go to Athens :( due to financial reasons

I have a Cornish themed raffle prize I can bring up with me. I have emailed shnedwards just awaiting a reply. I'll need to give at least 2 weeks notice at work so when you've got the dates let us know :)

Got your PM. Thanks, Abi :-))))))))

That's greatness! Thanks for letting us intrepid travellers know. I'll have to break it gently to Gizmopuddy, that this is a BC Unconventional, and it has very little to do with rugby!

Even if you can't send me the actual items, if you have an idea for a fantastic raffle prize that you'd really like to win, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

For stepping up to run the 2016 Unconvention. The Committee post OXFORD is not big enough to run an Uncon ( I think I wore the committee out!) so we were very pleased when Birmingam offered to take it on lock stock and barrel. Looking forward to coming to Birmingham next September 😀

For stepping up to run the 2016 Unconvention. The Committee post OXFORD is not big enough to run an Uncon ( I think I wore the committee out!) so we were very pleased when Birmingam offered to take it on lock stock and barrel. Looking forward to coming to Birmingham next September 😀

Here here. Stepping in fresh is not easy, so kudos for taking it on.

Tory Party conference dates have been announced as October 2016 http://conservativesinbirmingham.com/

Looking forward to Bookcrossing in Birmingham :)

wingAbi-Gibbywing 3 yrs ago
Bump
Looking forward to this already

We now have a date! 23rd - 25th September 2016.

We also have a website thanks to Gary and Sorcha http://2016.bcukunconvention.co.uk/

You can email us at bcuncon2016@gmail.com

And we’re on twitter @bcuncon2016

When can we order tickets :)

We now have a date! 23rd - 25th September 2016.

I was afraid of that! Boo hoo! I had all fingers and toes crossed for another weekend .... :-( Never mind .... have a great time without me ....

Oh, that is a shame😔

wingmissmarkeywing 3 yrs ago
Fantastic
I'm so pleased that we have a great team in Birmingham planning BC fun and frolics. The date is in my diary 😃

exact date will depend on the Tory party conference dates (it's also in Birmingham).

Are we aiming to coincide with their dates so that we can go throw books at them? ;)

exact date will depend on the Tory party conference dates (it's also in Birmingham).

Are we aiming to coincide with their dates so that we can go throw books at them? ;)

Vekiki id love to join you at the book throwing lol

As OBCZ-TowMill I will donatec something brewery themed and as JemmaJ something knitted or stitched...

Sadly I cannot attend - who do I send raffle prizes to?

Me! Do you attend meetups in Northamptonshire? If so, I might be able to meet you at one and take the prizes off you in person. Otherwise, you can send it to me in the post.

Let me know which suits you best. And thanks very much for your offer.

Me! Do you attend meetups in Northamptonshire? If so, I might be able to meet you at one and take the prizes off you in person. Otherwise, you can send it to me in the post.

Let me know which suits you best. And thanks very much for your offer.

I thought about a gift box of beer (as OBCZ-TOWMILL) and something handmade (as jemmaj). I haven't seen any meet up here in Northamptonshire for awhile - I need to check the group out again

I haven't seen any meet up here in Northamptonshire for awhile - I need to check the group out again

I posted in the Bookcrossing UK group on Facebook asking if there's a meetup at Salcey Forest any time soon. If not... is Towcester a nice place to visit? I could take my family on a nice trip out...

There is many things you can do here in Towcester - The Mill (of course!), but there is a Muesum and nice restaurants.

Let's arrange something for later in the year. I'll be in touch...

... especially bookish ones, please could you consider donating them to the Uncon raffle?

Thanks very much in advance :-)

wingAbi-Gibbywing 3 yrs ago
Bump
I'll be buying my raffle prize closer to the time of the unconvention as some of the components may be a little fragile will it be ok to bring it up myself.

Depending on the location in Birmingham that the convention is will depend on what mode of transport I'll be taking (will most likely be the train)

Looking forward to seeing you all again, it's in my diary. Count me in for a raffle prize.

Looking forward to seeing you all again, it's in my diary. Count me in for a raffle prize.

Thanks, Cassiopaeia! Looking forward to seeing you too!

Can I have an address to send a raffle prize to? I probably won't be able to come as I'll move to Nepal in March, but I'd like to donate a raffle prize. (No, not a rat! But a leopard frog, that desperately wants to emigrate to the UK.)

PMing you...

Posting here rather than bookray forum as I want these books to be read by Uncon attendees. Haven't got around to registering them yet, but I have books by four confirmed Uncon authors avl to send out.

Park Life and Deeds not words by Katharine D'Souza

Murder at Mansfield Park and Tom-all-alones by Lynn Shepherd

Lucia on Holiday by Guy Fraser Sampson
Comfort for the Troops and Beatrice (bio about Cadbury heiress) by Fiona Joseph.

I will post links to books once I have registered them. In the meantime if you are planning or hoping to attend and would like to read any of the above books please PM me.

The tbr competition is one I am very excited about. The idea will be to match a list of bookcrossers attending the uncon next September with their tbrs. It’s very simple all you need to do is to send me a picture of between 6-8 books from your tbr (emails please - bookcrossing underscore ali at yahoo dot com) – which you think represent a range of your reading tastes – feel free to throw in one to confuse as long as it is from your tbr. Arrange the books in a stack with the spines facing your camera ensuring the spines are clearly visible. Send the pictures to me with your bc name and real name and a short one or two line bio.

Something like this: I’m a 40 something bookcrosser of more than 10 years. Devon lover, tea drinker, theatre fan, a bit of a green leftie.

My tbr is so large, it will be hard to choose!

I'll do mine shortly.

Sounds good to me although I'll be useless at guessing.

Always interested in bookrays for uncon authors as well. I've rather lost my reading mojo at the moment and haven't even finished a (proper) book so far this year, just 2 audios on my commute which did involve rather a lot of rewinding. Hopefully it will be back soon.

Cfreckle 3 yrs ago
Price
Is there a price yet for the weekend? I've searched around the website but haven't found one.

Heaven-Ali 3 yrs ago
RE: Price
It's £25 if you register before the end of May from 1st June price will be £35. If you go to website now you will see registration is open. At the moment payment is just by PayPal bank account and credit card payments will be available soon

Thank you for letting me know. That sounds a nice affordable price :)

Cfreckle 3 yrs ago
Questions
This will be my first time and I'm looking forward to it. :)

Do I send my raffle prizes beforehand or bring them along on the day?
Also do we bring books to swap? I'll be travelling on public transport so was wondering if we are bringing books, if I could post them to someone before the event rather than carrying them.

You can bring raffle prizes on the day or send them to me beforehand, it's up to you. Let me know if you want to send them in the post and I'll PM you with my address.

People usually bring books to swap and release. I've found that posting books gets very expensive upwards of one or two, so I would recommend bringing a bag of books. If you can't manage a lot, don't worry. The other bookcrossers will make sure there are loads there :-)

Great idea

Details of the accommodation at the Birmingham Uncon hotel venue are now available on the website.
http://2016.bcukunconvention.co.uk/strathallan-accommodation/

I can really only stay for one night if I come to the Unconvention and I was wondering what the schedule is like so I can decide which night I would like to stay. Will the schedule be up on the website soon?

The exact schedule is still being finalised, but I can tell you that registration will open in the early evening on Friday, then there will be a social evening with ice-breaking games, quizzes etc. Saturday daytime is mostly taken up with author talks and presentations, with raffle and competition winners being announced at the end of the afternoon. Then we will split into groups to go to different restaurants on Saturday evening. Sunday morning is still to be decided.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.