corner corner UPDATE [Bookcrossing Anniversary Convention Athens 2016] Site is up and registrations are now open!

Forum | << Conventions and Meetings | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
The first fotographs are on flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/---/2918740@N25/

Thank you everyone for coming. See you tomorrow :-)

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
The greek book crossers living in Athens and our mascot Sofia are now ready to welcome you to our city. Registrations are open, site is up and running and our inbox is ready to receive whatever you want to ask.

You can visit our site here:http://www.athensbc2016.com/en/

As you all know summer and autumn have been very difficult in Greece. Due to capital controls and restricting tax laws, we can’t open a single bank account for Bookcrossing. But we can’t allow this to further delay registrations, so until we sort this out, you can book your place by completing the following form:

https://goo.gl/aYJHH1

Tickets for the convention cost 50€. If purchased before 30th November, you get the early bird price of 40€!
After receiving your email we will inform you on how to proceed with the payment.

Please feel free to ask whatever you want, to suggest whatever you think and start organising your trip!
Profile Image

\o/

(in case someone is searching the dates again, this convention takes place from Friday 22nd April till Sunday 24th April 2016)

FYI: Translated this post in the German forum
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/524315

P.S: Oh, again too fast - first there was an email mentioned, and now a Form to submit ;)
Profile Image

RE: \o/

in case someone is searching the dates again

... they are mentioned on the Convention page, right where they should be. :-P
Profile Image

RE: RE: \o/

in case someone is searching the dates again

... they are mentioned on the Convention page, right where they should be. :-P

Still one klick away ;)

(Inbetween the Form has come up mentioning them too)
Profile Image
We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience. Please fill in the form and Athens is just a click away! :)
Profile Image
Thank you so much!
Looking for accomodation it would be good to known where (in which part of Athens)the convention will take place. Do you know that already?
Profile Image
Thank you all for your responses. We are sorry for the bookcrossers that wont be able to come and wish to see them in a later convention (Oslo, perhaps?). We are still looking for the places but you can check the hotels in Plaka, Thisio, Monastiraki or places close to metro stations Syntagma, Evaggelismos, Monastiraki. We are focusing on the historical centre of Athens and we are trying to find one place for everything. We will keep you posted!
Profile Image
But will hopefully be able to catch up with everyone at a later convention/ uncon
Profile Image
Flights to Athens booked today! We are so excited to be coming to Greece for the convention. We are also planning to do a small mainland driving trip, two weeks staying on two or three islands (Santorini, Crete and ?) as well as side trips to Petra and Budapest. See you in April.
Profile Image

:-D

Looking forward to see you all!
Profile Image

RE: :-D

Me too, I am so excited to meet again all those wonderful friends of Oxford and live once again all those memorable moments of April 2015!!!!!!!
Profile Image
Thank you! Form sent for the two of us today. Everything is booked, can't wait for our first visit to Greece.
Profile Image
Just booked my flights and filled in the form, and now I'm giddy with enthusiasm. See you there!
Profile Image
filled the form as well. Looking forward to the convention place announcement
Profile Image
so I will see you in Athens. I will have met some of you in Crete in 2008
Profile Image
Just booked my flights and filled in the registration form!

^ ^
=+=
v
Profile Image
I got the ok for my holidays in April today and just filled in the registrationform :-)
Profile Image
Flights booked and registration form filled in for hubby and I. Only five months to go.
Profile Image
Our Facebook page is ready: https://m.facebook.com/athensbc2016/?...
We are wainting you in Athens :)
Profile Image

Update

We inform you that you may find on the site the basic convention schedule and the first list of participants. We consider these additions essential for a good planning of your trip to Athens, therefore we extend the early bird registration period until the 30th of November 2015.
Profile Image

RE: Update

I registered in November and my name is on the list of attendees but I haven't received any info about paying. Should I have received something by now?
Profile Image
registered in November and my name is on the list of attendees but I haven't received any info about paying. Should I have received something by now?

Same for me! No info as of yet
Profile Image
registered in November and my name is on the list of attendees but I haven't received any info about paying. Should I have received something by now?

I registered a few weeks ago, also didn't receive any information and my name doesn't show up on attendees' list yet. I guess this is just not a busy time for people to register so they're not updating/replying that frequently at the moment?
Profile Image
Sorry for the delay. We are working on it. Give us some more time and thank you all for your patience.
Profile Image

Me too! I wasn't on the list a few days ago, but I am now, fortunately. But I haven't received any information about payment yet. Am eager to pay for this great event though ... !! :-)
Profile Image

Got the letter today
Profile Image
Haven't got the okay for my holidays yet, but didn't want to wait, so I booked my hotel - the Acropolis View Hotel. Good reviews on tripadvisor, nice location, not too far from the venue. Anybody else staying there?
Profile Image
Haven't got the okay for my holidays yet, but didn't want to wait, so I booked my hotel - the Acropolis View Hotel. Good reviews on tripadvisor, nice location, not too far from the venue. Anybody else staying there?

I've just changed my booking to here. I wanted to add another 2 nights at the Hotel Plaka but they wanted more for 2 nights that I paid for 5 here.
Profile Image
Just today at my BC birthday I booked our flights and fill in the registration form.
The birthday present for myself. :-)
Profile Image
I had planned to book while off work for Christmas. I got as far as 3 nights at Hotel Plaka in Athens and then got offered a new job. Great news, but as we hadn't spoken about holidays already booked, I thought I better stop. I don't suppose there will be any problems and I'm sure at minimum I'll manage the long weekend but hopefully I'll get the rest of my holiday booked by the end of the month.
Profile Image
Flight, room (a very nice appartement, about 600m away from the convention place).
Registration is made and payed!

Athens, we are comming! Looking forward to meet you all there!

Profile Image
and my hotel. :D
I'll arrive Thursday afternoon and am staying in the Acropolis View.
Profile Image
.... and I just had to cancel my hotel (won't be getting anything back to the flight)... Will be living & working in Nepal by then, too far to pop over for a weekend :-(
Profile Image
.... and I just had to cancel my hotel (won't be getting anything back to the flight)... Will be living & working in Nepal by then, too far to pop over for a weekend :-(

An international convention without you? That is too bad :-(
But being abroad is a very good excuse for that. Sounds interesting. Have a good time :-)
Profile Image
Oh, sorry to hear one of the Guinness girls won't be with us- we shall miss you. Sounds like a great job opportunity in Nepal so hope all goes well for you there.
Profile Image
Oh, sorry to hear one of the Guinness girls won't be with us- we shall miss you. Sounds like a great job opportunity in Nepal so hope all goes well for you there.

Wish you good luck, ApoloniaX! We miss you, too!
Profile Image

Sorry to hear that you are not coming ApoloniaX, but good luck with your new life in Nepal. We wish you all the best, and we thank you for your offer. PM will follow.
Profile Image

Oh, Nepal - wow!

We will miss you!
Profile Image
I booked 3 nights in Athens straight away so that was the minimum I could stay although I wanted to say longer. So after an enquiry into increasing the nights, the 3 nights I have booked have gone from 79 euros per night to 236 euros. Really! - remember I am already booked on a flexible rate. Has the demand for the bookcrossing convention increased prices in Athens by 33.5%. I would rather cancel my holiday and not come to the convetion at all than pay such an increase.
Profile Image
Yeah we are at the Plaka Hotel and prices went up for us as well. We changed our travel plans twice and paid more each time.
Still happy to go to the Convention though :-)
Profile Image
That's unacceptable! Please search for another hotel. Take a look at booking.com or any other website. You don't have to stay near Acropolis, if the price is high. Any hotel close to a metro station will be fine.
Looking forward to seeing you.
Profile Image
The Hotel Plaka hasn't responded to my email and I was booked on a flexible rate so I have just changed my hotel. I've booked the Acropolis View Hotel which other bookcrossers seem to be staying at as well. It cost me less for 5 nights than Plaka wanted for the extra two.
Profile Image
Well done!
Profile Image
I've booked the Acropolis View Hotel which other bookcrossers seem to be staying at as well.

Yeah :-) I will be there.
Profile Image
I've booked the Acropolis View Hotel which other bookcrossers seem to be staying at as well.

Yeah :-) I will be there.

I am just now looking at booking my accommodations, and I am thinking of staying at the Athens Backpackers hostel. But I am also wondering if it is acceptable for an old woman to do so. Should I just suck it up and pay for a hotel room at the Acropolis View along with everybody else?
Profile Image
It's definitely acceptable for a woman of any age to stay in hostels - as long as YOU can stand it... I'm about your age (if it's correct on your profile page) and still stay in hostels every now and then, although it's only for financial reasons and not because I'd actually like doing it any longer. Most people will obviously be the 20+ crowd but there are always a few exceptions - I've met lots of people up to their 80s in the dorms :)

But, just a word of warning: I've stayed in Athens Backpackers years ago and it was very much of a party hostel at the time, so keep that in mind if you decide to stay there! Booking.com has also plenty of rooms at decent prices (at least it did a few weeks ago when I booked mine) so you might want to check that out too.
Profile Image
Thanks for the insights! I think I will do the Athens Backpackers hostel. I haven't stayed in a hostel since Spring Break 1991, so I am sure it will be a very different experience, but I am travelling completely alone this entire trip, so it might be nice to have some lively folks around to keep me from boring myself to death when I am not at the convention activities. :-)
Profile Image

I have received no payment info yet :-(

Still no payment info :-(
Profile Image
I have asked. The convention committee knows, and they are working on solving the problem.
Profile Image
I have asked. The convention committee knows, and they are working on solving the problem.

Looks like the Athens convention website is up and running again:-)
Profile Image
a not bookcrosser with me. Do i have to pay for her too?
Profile Image
"The Convention Venue will be the Melina Cultural Center of the Municipality of Athens, at Thiseio very close to Metro Keramikos at the Center of Athens." http://www.athensbc2016.com/---/convention-venue/

Looks like an excellent location, within marble toss of the Acropolis, well-served by transport and home to many cafes, bars and restaurants.

There are many AirBnB rooms and apartments nearby. I have managed to secure an apartment on the next block for my wife and I. A second bedroom with two singles or a (pushed-together) king is available if anybody wants to share.
Profile Image
Yippee!! Skyring and the enchanting Kerry will be in Athens! We have our own AirBnB reservations, but looking forward to seeing you there.
Profile Image
Yippee!! Skyring and the enchanting Kerry will be in Athens! We have our own AirBnB reservations, but looking forward to seeing you there.
Looking forward to seeing you as well!

Along with many other friends from adventures past.

I have been studying Plato fairly seriously for some years now. It will be a pleasure to tread his turf, so to speak.
Profile Image

I have been studying Plato fairly seriously for some years now. It will be a pleasure to tread his turf, so to speak.

Has Jack been to Greece, I wonder? Has Stephen seen the Acropolis?
Profile Image

Has Jack been to Greece, I wonder? Has Stephen seen the Acropolis?
I have a copy of Master and Commander right here in Lisbon with me. Perhaps I shall take it to Athens, perhaps I shall leave it at the port with a ticket for Mahon.

One might imagine that "The Wine-Dark Sea" takes place in Grecian waters, but no…
Profile Image
if i only come saturday...?
Profile Image
... we thought some of you might like these.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/store#!/Convention-2016-Bookplate-Greek/p/63404951/category=15273039 (if that's not clickable: http://tinyurl.com/Con2016Greek )
Or, in case that's Greek to you...
http://www.bookcrossing.com/store#!/Convention-2016-Bookplate-English/p/63404938/category=609830 (if that's not clickable: http://tinyurl.com/Con2016English )
Profile Image
... we thought some of you might like these.

Have ordered some!
Profile Image

Great work!

Thank you BCSuppluStore!
Profile Image
To celebrate the upcoming Convention, we've added some special Greek Wings. There are Greek flags, and owls, as a symbol of Athens. We hope you'll like them!
Profile Image
the upcoming Convention

Whoo-hoo! :-D
Profile Image
To celebrate the upcoming Convention, we've added some special Greek Wings. There are Greek flags, and owls, as a symbol of Athens. We hope you'll like them!

oh, great!
Profile Image
There doesn't appear to be a release zone set up for the convention yet. I would like to get organised as we leave in 10 days (woohoo!), so am wondering if I can set up a new zone and release books to -
Greece, Attica, Athens, 2016 BC Convention?
Profile Image
There is a release zone for the convention. It's Greece, Attica, Athens, BookCrossing Anniversary Convention Athens 22-24 April 2016
Profile Image

Oh, Greek wings! I need to update when I get home.
Profile Image
Dressed for the convention. Thank you :-)
Profile Image
Dressed for the convention. Thank you :-)

Me too!
We leave next week, time to start packing......
Profile Image
I love my owl wings - thank you!

We leave saturday 16th

Profile Image
Is there an official convention banner for our profiles this year?
Profile Image

Good question :-)
I would like to know that as well.
Profile Image

Good question :-)
I would like to know that as well.

http://s328.photobucket.com/---/convention%20banner%20_zps70a98vzr.jpg.html?...

Can you take it from here;
Profile Image
I think I only get a link to the website when I try that so it will disappear when you stop using the webiste. That happened to me with the Melbourne convention and I don't have that logo any more.
Profile Image
Can you take it from here;

Yes, I've got it!
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/Krissa33/
Thanks
Profile Image
Because I'm starting to get jealous... I'm sitting on some steep mountain slope above some forgotten valley in Makwanpur, Nepal, from up here I have a mobile connection and can even go online with a bit of patience. Will be thinking of you all when you've gathered in Athens.
Profile Image
Because I'm starting to get jealous... Will be thinking of you all when you've gathered in Athens.

We will miss you.
Profile Image
Because I'm starting to get jealous... Will be thinking of you all when you've gathered in Athens.

We will miss you.

Ohh yes!

Profile Image
Yes, we will miss you, ApoloniaX. I am bringing with me your yarn bomb creations, though, so it will look like you are there with us.
Profile Image
In a couple of hours I'll meet up with Lytteltonwitch and we'll be off to the airport.

Then 33 hours and 5 airports later, we'll be in Athens!!!

See you all soon!

^ ^
=+=
v
Profile Image
In a couple of hours I'll meet up with Lytteltonwitch and we'll be off to the airport.

See you all soon!

^ ^
=+=
v

That headline gave me a bit off a panic as I haven't actually left my house yet.
Profile Image

That headline gave me a bit off a panic as I haven't actually left my house yet.

Sorry! But "Almost on our way" didn't sound nearly as exciting :-)
Profile Image

See you all soon!

^ ^
=+=
v

Have a nice trip!
Profile Image
FutureCat and Lytteltonwitch checking in from Sydney. Only 3 more flights to go...
Profile Image
Only 3 more flights to go...

I'm so looking forward to seeing the two of you again! Have a good trip!
Profile Image
Cat and witch checking in again. The broomstick has reached Dubai. Next stop Athens!
Profile Image
We have arrived ...and managed to find the convention venue by looking out our balcony window!
Profile Image
And we're here too! We've already met up with a few bookcrossers, and spent an exciting evening sightseeing and eating vast amounts of food. First impressions of Athens: it's amazing and beautiful and so fascinating!
Profile Image
And we're here too! We've already met up with a few bookcrossers, and spent an exciting evening sightseeing and eating vast amounts of food. First impressions of Athens: it's amazing and beautiful and so fascinating!

Oh wow, my experience too!

Apart from the evening and vast amounts of food. We spent the evening with katayoun in a cool Tehran cafe.

Toured the Acropolis Museum, saw a tourist, had our first grog in a week, marbeled at the history under our feet. This is a very special place.
Profile Image

Athens...

We are here now, too. 😀
Profile Image
We are here now, too. 😀

We too ... ;-)
Profile Image

Athens...

We are here now, too. 😀
Profile Image
Oops... I thought I was flying tomorrow, but it's today! So of course, I missed that flight... even though I gave it a good try. No matter, I'm now on a train to go to a different airport, and have booked a flight that leaves there at 1 tonight. I'll be in Athens by the end of tomorrow morning. See you all soon!
Profile Image
Oops... I thought I was flying tomorrow, but it's today! So of course, I missed that flight... even though I gave it a good try. No matter, I'm now on a train to go to a different airport, and have booked a flight that leaves there at 1 tonight. I'll be in Athens by the end of tomorrow morning. See you all soon!

Oh dear, sounds like trouble nobody really needs. Good journey, see you there :-)
I start packing my suitcase.

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.