Alphabet Fiction Bookbox -US only- [CLOSED]

Forum » Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Hello fellow bookcrossers,

I'm looking into releasing a few of my books to reduce the number of "stay-at-home-books", of course I can release them randomly around town, but I do like the idea of bookboxes and preparing them, and looking forward to receiving surprises.
So here's my plan:
I'll put 5 fiction books whose titles begin with a different letter of the alphabet. The objective, other than passing on books and discovering new authors and books, is to complete the whole alphabet by the end of the bookring.

1) Articles (A, And, The) do not count when they're the first letter of the title, so that "The Girl on the Train" would not count as a T book but as a G (for Girl) one.
2) Box should not contain more than 5 books. I'm limiting it to such a small number because for two reasons: mailing costs and weight -some people have to drag the boxes to the PO-.
3) Take number many books as you like and put the same number back.
4) Do not repeat any letters of the alphabet. We can always start a new bookring if this one works out.
5) Update in the journal entry https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/16012810 which letters have been used by writing the books you've taken. Write titles in alphabetical order. Let's not write the ones we're adding so that they come as a surprise ;)

Anyone interested?

wingSpatialwing 6 mos ago
I’ll join!
In Virginia.

I'll join

I will take part

I must not have enough to do and the already read books are backing up. LOL!

CaptainJack 6 mos ago
I'm in!
I'd love to join!

Count me in, please! :)

Thank you all for signing up.
I sent the box this morning to Spatial and according to the tracking number it should get to VA on September 4th.

This is the list of participants:

Barcino, CA
Spatial, VA
Chicvolley99, CO
Meekachu07, MN
heartthumper, KS
CaptainJack, AZ ----(asked to be skipped)
fictionalfangs, NC
rhythmbiscuit, CO
Azuki, FL
BooksandMusic, WA
erishkigal, UT
ravencat, NY
Savvy-Suzy, CO
-back to Barcino on Feb 8-

I've kept the order in which people signed so that even if the box gets to cross the country a few times it means we'll get books from readers we don't usually get books from.

I've noticed that usually the order in bookboxes is according to location and while that's convenient, I always end up getting books from the same people and I thought it'd be interesting to add variety ;)

I've also started a journal entry for the bookbox. There's a card inside one of the books with the BCID so all can add their entry updating the letters once you get the box.

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/16012810

Alphabet letters used so far (and books taken out as of Nov 26)
A -- (Atonement, by Ian McEwan)
B -- (Beautiful Ruins, by Jess Walter)
C -- (The Cactus League, by Emily Nemens)
D -- (Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson)
F -- (Finders Keepers, by Stephen King)
G
H -- (The House of Silk, by Anthony Horowitz & Hurry Down Sunshine, by Michael Greenberg)
I -- (Ink, by Amanda Sun)
J -- (Jersey Tomatoes Are the Best, by Maria Padian)
K -- (A Knit Before Dying, by Sadie Hartwell)
L -- (Lord of the Flies, by William Golding)
M -- (The Martian, by Andy Weir)
N
O -- (On The Road, by Jack Kerouac)
P -- (The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain)
Q --(Queene of Light, by Jennifer Armintrout)
R -- (Rivers of London, by Ben Aaronovitch)
S -- (Secrets of the Lighthouse, by Santa Montefiore)
T -- (Tortilla Curtain, by T. Coraghessan Boyle)
U
V --(The Vine of Desire, by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni)
W
Y -- (Yarned and Dangerous, by Sadie Hartwell)
Z --(The Zombie Autopsies, by Steven C. Scholzman)

It looks like we missed letters E and X; not at all bad!
Thank you all who took part.

Happy reading!

I'm in Colorado. Thanks!

wingAzukiwing 5 mos ago
May I join
if it's not too late? I'm in Florida.

Added!

wingSpatialwing 5 mos ago
Box arrived!
I've PMed the next person in the list and should be able to get it in the mail next week after the holiday!

Thanks for starting this box, Barcino! And thanks for the fun stamps on the box! I do 'send only' on the stamps and postcard sweeps and they will go with others to the winner!

The box was a bit crushed when it arrived and then I took a box cutter to it to remove the stamps. Needless to say, the box has to be replaced. Unfortunately, I don't have a box small enough so I've put them in a large cushioned envelope. Hope that is alright.

I'll mail them out tomorrow and update this post with the tracking information.

I chose the letters H and T from the box!
The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13964975
The Tortilla Curtain by T. Coraghessan Boyle
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15532449

Thanks for starting this fun bookbox, Barcino!

Edit:
Tracking # 9549010295760253328048
Estimated Delivery Date: Tuesday 9/15

if it isn't too late

Added!

I will make my choice and message the next in line for their address.

I am adding in A, D, and L.

I selected "Lord of the Flies". Will PM next in line to keep this moving. Thanks for inviting me to participate.

If so, it sounds like fun I’d like to join.

If so, it sounds like fun I’d like to join.

Added!

Tracking: 9449028206335333565662

If not too late I would love to join in and located in New York. Thanks.

I'm glad I went back and re-read the rules...I originally thought couldn't repeat the letters that were in the package you received....this concept is much better

I have made my choice and will message the next in line. I chose "The Paris Wife".

I will message the next in line.

Tracking #9549 0143 9416 0277 5437 44

Thanks for including me!

Hi friends! The package just arrived today. I'm taking out our letter D entry, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. An appropriately spooky read for October, I think!

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/16033275

Messaging the next in line and will be posting soon with my new addition (the letter B this time!). I also added in some hand-made bookmarks (I've been on a crafting spree and I've ended up with way too many!). Tucked them into the remaining books for an extra surprise. :) Hope that's okay with everyone!

Savvy-Suzy, with a wealth of books to share.

Savvy-Suzy, with a wealth of books to share.

added!

Hi friends! Completely forgot about Columbus Day yesterday (USPS closed), so I had to get the package mailed out right when they opened today. ETA for arrival is 10/19 (I know it's going from one coast to the other, but still - media mail is so slow!!!). Fingers crossed it gets there sooner. Here's the tracking number:

I posted two weeks ago asking to join and wondering if I still am able to participate as it looks like members requested to join after me and they were added and maybe my message didn't get through.

I posted two weeks ago asking to join and wondering if I still am able to participate as it looks like members requested to join after me and they were added and maybe my message didn't get through.

I'm so sorry I didn't see your previous message! You're added now. Thanks for joining.

I get an error when I try to enter the BCID for the journal entry. I chose Beautiful Ruins and Secrets of the Lighthouse. I put in J and V.

I'm missing something: how do I tell who to contact next for the box?

Used Letters:
A
B
C
D
F
G
H
J
L
P
S
T
U
V
W

Good, I contacted her for another bookbox I have.

Tracking #9549012652290301423623

wingAzukiwing 3 mos ago
box is here
Thanks!!

Putting in R, Q, Z.

Taking out:
Atonement
The Vine of Desire
Finders Keepers

Also, want to say thank you to the BCer who made and shared these lovely bookmarks.

Just wondering if the alphabet Bookbox is still with Azuki or whether it made it to BooksandMusic in WA.

Thanks!

Just wondering if the alphabet Bookbox is still with Azuki or whether it made it to BooksandMusic in WA.

Thanks!

I mailed out 3 bookboxes (this one, audio, wild things) on the same day, from the posts here one has arrived the other two are still in transit. Quite a few reporting that it's taking longer than usual - Christmas + mail delay that has been going on since before election. This one goes from Florida to Washington and has the longest journey.

I am taking out Rivers of London and putting in an a book starting with the letter I.

wingBooksandMusicwing 2 mos ago
Now
on its way to Erishkigal

Arrived in Salt Lake today. I’ll look through this evening, and figure out what letter or letters are available ;)

Also need a new box~ usps was fast, but not kind.

Made it to the post office twice, but the line was long, and I’m just not willing to stand indoors with a ton of strangers at the moment. I’ll try again tomorrow. Fingers crossed

Tracking : 9549 0161 8079 1013 7496 75

Changes in journal

Bookbox arrived and taking out letter O On The Road by Jack Kerouac and putting in a book starting with letter M.

Bookbox mailed to Savvy-Suzy USPS Tracking# 9549 0112 5411 1022 0366 86

I am ready to send out the Alphabet Book Box. Was I last in line? If so, I will be sending back to Barcino. I took Nobody's Fool (N) and am adding a pair of books in a series with titles beginning with Y and K. As far as I'm tracking, we never got to X or E.

Barcino 2 wks ago
This is it!
Thank you all for taking part! The box made its full round. I'll update the alphabet list and see which letters, books and authors we managed to round up.

Happy reading to all!

Thank you all for taking part! The box made its full round. I'll update the alphabet list and see which letters, books and authors we managed to round up.

Happy reading to all!

Thanks for organizing. It was fun and I'd love to join again if you wish to have another go. Though I think I sent off my only Z book lol.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.