First Sentences Virtual Bookbox—Round 18 CLOSED

Forum » Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
The First Sentences Virtual Bookbox is on the last few people for round 17 before it comes back to me, so I've started a new thread for round 18.

For a refresher, here's a link to the previous thread: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/562738

Here's how it works (thanks to wubbaducky, who originally dreamed up the idea of this VBB, for most of the text):

I'll PM the list to participant 1, who picks their choices and replaces them with their own. They'll PM the list back to me. I'll make a note of which books have been added by participant 1 and then PM the list to participant 2, who'll pick their choices and replace and PM back to me the updated list. Etc. etc. etc. So I'll be keeping tabs on who's contributed what and who's chosen what.

The catch is, you DON'T put down book titles, authors or genres. All you put on the email is the First Sentence of the book. So, for example, if books I was including on the list were Pride and Prejudice, Moby Dick and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, the virtual list would read:

1. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

2. Call me Ishmael.

3. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Then you would email me back saying you were taking out numbers 1 and 3 and replacing them with:

4. First sentence of new book

5. First sentence of other new book

Whenever the list comes back to me, I'll then PM you with the first sentence(s) you chose and the screen name(s) of the person who owns the book(s). You will then need to PM them to ask them for that first sentence book.

Please don't tell the recipient what the book is before they receive it- it's all meant to be a mysterious surprise...

Please PM me back the list ASAP- it shouldn't take you more than two weeks to make your choices and replace them and PM me back with the updates.

There should always be 16 books in the virtual bookbox. If you take out five, please replace with five, etc.

Genre doesn't matter so long as the first sentence is interesting (you define interesting). No author's notes/acknowledgements, please. Just the first sentence of the book. I will make one exception in this case: if a book has a prologue, you may choose between the prologue's first sentence and the first chapter's first sentence.

Please update this thread with the first sentence(s) you've chosen to take out and later, please let us know what book(s) they turned out to belong to- we all want to share in your fun too! And of course, don't forget to journal the books themselves later...

Please mail your books out to the people who have chosen your books as quickly as possible- within a month is preferable.

You must be willing to mail internationally, as this is an international bookbox and I can't guarantee who's going to choose your contributions.

You are responsible for contacting the person who owns your first sentence book(s).

Please post here if you are interested. No PMs, please.

COVID-19 Update: I understand many of you may be stuck in your homes and unable to post books at this time. Please be patient with the senders of any books you are expecting. I’m sure we all will get to the post office when it’s safer to do so.

Initial list of participants:
sedna5213
Delphi_reader
Icila
Bookworm-lady
Lamilla
greenbadger
BooksNBeer
Arvores
Soozreader
Paulanni
adrienne10–ASKED TO BE SKIPPED
Meekachu07
Annimanni
russbaum
Billbooks
mcsar
kizmiaz
Bluezwuzl
disneyfreaksam
Askeladda
mysteriousmummy
samid
msjoanna —LIST IS HERE

wingAnnimanniwing 10 mos ago
I'm in
Thanks for organizing this, collectorkerri! It's one of my favourite things here :)

wingsedna5213wing 10 mos ago
Yes please!
Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks for organising!

I've already answered and... of course, I'm in again!
Thanks for setting this new round.

I'd like to join again. Thank you for the PM

winggreenbadgerwing 10 mos ago
Me please!
Thank you for the PM and thank you for organising this awesome VBB again! :)

I'm in for another round.

Thank you for the reminder.

wingrussbaumwing 10 mos ago
I'm in
but as I went last in Round 17 you'd better put me near the end or I'll be choosing my own books.

Thank you for the reminder!

Sounds like fun!

I'll participate this round.
Thanks for the PM.

Meekachu07 10 mos ago
I'm in
You messaged me and I will get that taken care of tomorrow

I will post the initial list of participants. If you are not on it, please let me know. It is mostly first come, first served except for the two of you who were at the tail end of the last round (Annimanni and russbaum). I figured you probably would want a little time to both read new books and let the sentences change so you have some different choices.

Things have calmed down and I'm back to my reading if it's possible to tack me on at the end I'd love to be in this again always been fun and interesting

wingmcsarwing 10 mos ago
Me too
if you have not closed yet.

wingsedna5213wing 10 mos ago
My turn...
I'm taking out:
"If I am a witch, they will soon know it."
And I'm replacing it with:
"When he was a child, he responded to smiles with a smile."

Thanks a lot for this VBB collectorkerri!

kizmiaz 10 mos ago
I'm in again
thanks for the invite

Hi Kerri - any chance you can list the initial group of first sentences here so we can all try and guess what they might be ?

Ok, sedna5213 already had chosen a sentence from this round, but here’s the list after that:
1. She stops, she starts off saying: 'You see I've got the face of an angel, everyone tells me that'.
2. I first heard of Tavia in a sort of semi-detached way.
3. My father said he saw him years later playing in a tenth-rate commercial league in a textile town in Carolina, wearing shoes and an assumed name.
4. Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.
5. The offices of Wilson Richardson solicitors were on the first floor in a block on the main road through Chiswick in London.
6. The distance between Baehler Passage, where Zaki Bey el Dessouki lives, and his office in the Yacoubian Building is not more than a hundred meters, but it takes him an hour to cover it each morning as he is obliged to greet his friends on the street.
7. Moran's first impression of Nolen Tyner: He looked like a high risk, the kind of guy who falls asleep smoking in bed.
8. Even now she can’t decide.
9. The last time I saw Cassandra...
10. Her name is Melanie.
11. The rhythmic sound sound of his own breathing through his regulator was, to Brodie McFadden, the sweetest music; there simply was nothing like diving.
12. Sidda is a girl again in the hot heart of Louisiana, the bayou world of Catholic saints and voodoo queens.
13. I am Tersa the Weaver, Tersa the Liar, Tersa the Fool.
14. This morning I got a note from my aunt asking me to come for lunch.
15. Ove is fifty-nine.
16. When he was a child, he responded to smiles with a smile.

Everyone who has asked to join in the last few days has been added.

Thanks for the reminder! Found the mail today - I hope it's not too late now...

wingDelphi_Readerwing 10 mos ago
My turn!
I'm taking out:

5. The offices of Wilson Richardson solicitors were on the first floor in a block on the main road through Chiswick in London.
7. Moran's first impression of Nolen Tyner: He looked like a high risk, the kind of guy who falls asleep smoking in bed.
12. Sidda is a girl again in the hot heart of Louisiana, the bayou world of Catholic saints and voodoo queens.

And adding:

a) Marina once told me that we only remember what never happened.
b) The bishop summoned the undersigned to his presence yesterday evening.
c) Mr Hungerton, her father, really was the most tactless person upon earth - a fluffy, feathery, untidy cockatoo of a man, perfectly good-natured, but absolutely centered upon his own silly self.

Thanks so much collectorkerri for organising this very fun VBB!

Please could I join this on? I am newly back to bookcrossing and loved these the first time round xx

I chose :
5. Marina once told me that we only remember what never happened.

And I replace it with:
Forks. Knives. Spoons.

I chose :
5. Marina once told me that we only remember what never happened.

This is mine, please PM me your address and I'll send it asap!

Yeah! The book finally arrived to France after a month, Enjoy Icila.
That was Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15266969

Yeah! The book finally arrived to France after a month, Enjoy Icila.
That was Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15266969

Oh, so sorry, I was tired yesterday after a family event, I forgot to post here.

It's OK, that was mostly a note to self. So many books getting postponed somewhere on the way with all this corona situation, hard to remember what was send when and why and if the parcels made it!
3rd parcel of mine arriving on its destination out of about 10 sent during last 5 weeks. I hope the others will show up soon too! We live on weird times!

I'll would very much like to join this bookbox again, collectorkerry, if it's not too late.
It's exciting to pick a book by the first sentence - it can turn out to be .... anything...

7. The bishop summoned the undersigned to his presence yesterday evening.
AND

And my replacements:

"On most days, I enter the Capitol through the basement."
AND
"These are the extracts from last year's diary, starting exactly one year ago, four years after Mark died, which show how I got myself into the current mess."

Thanks for setting this up, collectorkerri; can't wait to see what I have picked... and who will pick mine! :)

This is mine. I'll send it sometime next week : )

This is mine. I'll send it sometime next week : )

Thank you!! :)

And this resides with me. I believe I have your address so will send it out soon!

And this resides with me. I believe I have your address so will send it out soon!

Brilliant, thank you!! :)

I'm taking out
4. Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.

I'm replacing it with:
One minute the teacher was talking about the Civil War.

That's mine.

Your address was on the outside of the book you just sent me so I will get yours in the post next week.

I will choose please:

and put in:
The old chrome-yellow school bus crawled south on Market Street at half past seven that May morning.
I wanted darkness.

Thank you!

I will choose please:

This turns out to be In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume. I haven't read any Judy Blume since I was a teenager - I certainly wasn't aware she was still writing. It will be a nice bit of escapism.

This is Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop. Looks interesting, thank you!

Been off book crossing for a few weeks, Am I too late to join??

No, not too late! I’ll add you.

Moran's first impression of Nolen Tyner: He looked like a high risk, the kind of guy who falls asleep smoking in bed.

is the opening sentence of Cat Chaser by Elmore Leonard
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14584349

And I haven't read anything by this author, so it's good to know this is a good way to start
: )

Everything I've read by him I've enjoyed.

wingArvoreswing 8 mos ago
My turn :-)
I'm choosing:
6. The distance between Baehler Passage, where Zaki Bey el Dessouki lives, and his office in the Yacoubian Building is not more than a hundred meters, but it takes him an hour to cover it each morning as he is obliged to greet his friends on the street.

And replacing for the following:
- "He lives in a one-room flat near Mowbray railway station, for which he pays eleven guineas a month"
- "On a February morning in the year 1933 Andreas Egger lifted the dying goatherd Johannes Kalischka, known to all the valley dwellers as Horned Hannes, off his sodden and rather sour-smelling pallet to carry him down to the village along the three-kilometre mountain path that lay buried beneath a thick layer of snow."

Thank you so much for this fun VBB.

I'm choosing:
This one is mine and ready to travel. Please PM me your address

I'm choosing:

This one is with me. Please send me your address and the book will be posted soonish.

“I expected more of a of a reaction the first time I hit her” is Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent. Looks just my speed, although my husband’s name is Oliver and he appears to be the complete opposite of the scary character in the book. Thanks, russbaum!

The offices of Wilson Richardson solicitors were on the first floor in a block on the main road through Chiswick in London.

is the opening sentence of
The Kicking the Bucket List by Cathy Hopkins
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15878985

New book/author to me, I'm curious!

Turned out to be:
"Under the Glacier", by Halldor Laxness
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15700503/

Quite intrigued about it; looking forward to reading it.
Thanks for the cute little bookmark! :)

Sidda is a girl again in the hot heart of Louisiana, the bayou world of Catholic saints and voodoo queens.
comes from Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood: A Novel by Rebecca Wells
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/3604382

The book travelled from USA to Greece in about 2 weeks, phaenomenal time given the fact that post is too slow right now due to this covid situation! I'm curious to see what I'll make out of this book, I keep hearing about it for years!

The book travelled from USA to Greece in about 2 weeks, phaenomenal time given the fact that post is too slow right now due to this covid situation! I'm curious to see what I'll make out of this book, I keep hearing about it for years!

It does look like the international postal service is getting back on track. Just received a postcard from Taiwan which only travelled for 4 days (even unheard of pre-Covid-19)!

Some of my BC parcels travel since 4-5 weeks ago and haven't reach their destinations - some of them to Europenan countries where parcels arrived in 4-5 days previously.

Here are my choices and replacements.

Taking out:

5. The DOW was down almost 600 points the week Devi decided to commit suicide.

8. The old chrome-yellow school bus crawled south on Market Street at half past seven that May morning.

12. Mr Hungerton, her father, really was the most tactless person upon earth - a fluffy, feathery, untidy cockatoo of a man, perfectly good-natured, but absolutely centered upon his own silly self.

and

15. Ove is fifty-nine.

And replacing them with:

5. During the summer of 1941, every weekday morning at the top of the tide, McCall Purnell and I would board my skiff and go progging for crab.

8. This is a living house.

12. Harry Ford was a postman.

and

15. If the management of the Hotel Guelph, that London landmark, could have been present at three o’clock one afternoon in early January in the sitting-room of the suite which they had assigned to Mrs. Elmer Ford, late of New York, they might well have felt a little aggrieved.

Thank you!

12. Mr Hungerton, her father, really was the most tactless person upon earth - a fluffy, feathery, untidy cockatoo of a man, perfectly good-natured, but absolutely centered upon his own silly self.

This one is mine. Please PM me your address and I'll send it asap : )

wingPaulanniwing 8 mos ago
My picks
Thank you, collectorkerri, for organising this fun VBB. The list is with me now, and I have made my choices.

I pick these two sentences:
9. "The last time I saw Cassandra..."
14. "These are the extracts from last year's diary, starting exactly one year ago, four years after Mark died, which show how I got myself into the current mess."

And I replace them with:
"Get your grimy paws off my bike."
"Three o'clock, the dead hour."

Thank you, collectorkerri, for organising this fun VBB. The list is with me now, and I have made my choices.

I pick these two sentences:
14. "These are the extracts from last year's diary, starting exactly one year ago, four years after Mark died, which show how I got myself into the current mess."

"

No. 14 is mine; please send me your address, and I will try and send it to you as soon as possible. :)

Thank you, Bookworm-lady! I just sent a pm to you. There is no hurry with the book, take all the time you need.

Thank you, Bookworm-lady! I just sent a pm to you. There is no hurry with the book, take all the time you need.

Got it, I have just answered your friendly PM!! :)

If it's not too late to join, I'd love to participate. I have tons of books I'd like to get moving. :)

"This morning I got a note from my aunt asking me to come for lunch."

Turned out to be:

"The Moviegoer", by Walker Percy
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15816457/

Thank you very much, I'm sure I will enjoy reading it. :)

I have lots of books ready to move on and have finally figured out how to do US shipping from my house (i.e., without having to go to post office). I still have to go in for international, though, so those may be a bit slower to ship out.

"When he was a child, he responded to smiles with a smile."
This one turned out to be "When time runs out", by Elina Hirvonen.
A Finnish author! What are the odds? Everyone knows how much I am passionate about Finland. Choosing a book by a Finnish author in this game is really cool.
Thank you so much for sharing, sedna5213 :-) And thank you for the Finnish bookmark, too.

Glad that you are happy with your choice :).

I will add you to the end of the list.

Meekachu07 7 mos ago
My Turn
I will select: On most days, I enter the Capitol through the basement.

Replace with: The first time I see her, she is standing at the Fullerton Station, on the train platform, clutching an infant in her arms.

I will select: On most days, I enter the Capitol through the basement.

This one's mine; please send me your address, and I will try and send it as soon as possible. :)

wingAnnimanniwing 7 mos ago
My picks
The list is here and I've made my decision. I'd like to take out these two:

2. I first heard of Tavia in a sort of semi-detached way.

15. If the management of the Hotel Guelph, that London landmark, could have been present at three o’clock one afternoon in early January in the sitting-room of the suite which they had assigned to Mrs. Elmer Ford, late of New York, they might well have felt a little aggrieved.

And here are my replacements:

A light gray Ford with a dusty black hardtop is stopped in the street before an intersection.

The coffin stuck fast at the angle of the garden path and the gateway out into the road.

wingArvoreswing 7 mos ago
RE: My picks
I first heard of Tavia in a sort of semi-detached way.

This one is with me.
Please send me your address and I'll mail it to you ASAP

The book was sent today.
I hope it will get there soon.

I picked "I first heard of Tavia in a sort of semi-detached way." It turned out to be The Seeds of Time by John Wyndham. Interesting!

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15052203

Sent and received in the autumn: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15151237/

The sentence ”Ove is fifty-nine.” turned out to be A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.

”Mr Hungerton, her father, really was the most tactless person upon earth - a fluffy, feathery, untidy cockatoo of a man, perfectly good-natured, but absolutely centered upon his own silly self.” turned out to be The Lost World & Other Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I'm glad it finally arrived! Enjoy!

"If I'm a witch, they will soon know it." is the first sentence of Sorceress by Celia Rees.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15709210

Thanks as well for the beautiful card and the bookmarks!

but I was away and although I could choose I couldn't replace so here goes....

I pick:
12. Harry Ford was a postman.
14. Three o'clock, the dead hour.
15. The coffin stuck fast at the angle of the garden path and the gateway out into the road.

and I am adding in:
a - "Hey, Hello" Candee Taylor said as she tapped Jonathan Sellers on the shoulder.
b - My mother doesn't recognise me.
c - At six minutes past midnight, Tuesday morning, on the way home from a late rehearsal of her new stage show, Tina Evans saw her son, Danny, in a stranger's car.

14. Three o'clock, the dead hour.

is mine. I will send the book your way in a few days.

The sentence "These are the extracts from last year's diary, starting exactly one year ago, four years after Mark died, which show how I got myself into the current mess."

turned out to be Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones Mad about the Boy. I am quite curious about the book as I have seen BJ in one or two films on TV, but never read any of Fielding's novels.

The sentence "These are the extracts from last year's diary, starting exactly one year ago, four years after Mark died, which show how I got myself into the current mess."

turned out to be Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones Mad about the Boy. I am quite curious about the book as I have seen BJ in one or two films on TV, but never read any of Fielding's novels.

I'm glad it has arrived, and I hope you'll enjoy reading it. :)

The sentence "The last time I saw Cassandra..."

is from Steven Saylor's book A Mist of Prophecies : A Mystery of Ancient Rome.
That sounds quite intriguing as I love to read mysteries. The writer is new to me and I had not even heard of Roma sub Rosa series before this.

”The DOW was down almost 600 points the week Devi decided to commit suicide.” turned out to be Serving Crazy with Curry by Amulya Malladi.

"The distance between Baehler Passage, where Zaki Bey el Dessouki lives, and his office in the Yacoubian Building is not more than a hundred meters, but it takes him an hour to cover it each morning as he is obliged to greet his friends on the street."

It turned out to be "The Yacoubian Building", by Alla Al Aswany, which has been on my wish list for a while :-)
Thanks for sharing.

The stamps on the envelope were quite beautiful so, I guess I'm going to make someone happy very soon ;-)

”The old chrome-yellow school bus crawled south on Market Street at half past seven that May morning.” turned out to be 8th Confession by James Patterson.

The sentence was: "On most days, I enter the Capitol through the basement."

The book is "Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama

Thanks for sharing!

It was the smell Mrs. Powell notices first.

I Used to love this season

wingmcsarwing 6 mos ago
My picks
I am taking out three books:

6. He lives in a one-room flat near Mowbray railway station, for which he pays eleven guineas a month.

13. I wanted darkness.

16. On a February morning in the year 1933 Andreas Egger lifted the dying goatherd Johannes Kalischka, known to all the valley dwellers as Horned Hannes, off his sodden and rather sour-smelling pallet to carry him down to the village along the three-kilometre mountain path that lay buried beneath a thick layer of snow.

and replacing them with

- The sign had appeared overnight.

- Years ago, in state documents, Vachel Carmouche was always referred to as the electrician, never as the executioner.

- You walk into the bookstore and you keep your hand on the door to make sure it doesn't slam.

wingArvoreswing 6 mos ago
RE: My picks
6 and 16 are both with me 😉
I believe your address hasn't changed. They will be sent ASAP.

Still at the same old place. And please take your time. Thanks.

I pick:
1. She stops, she starts off saying: 'You see I've got the face of an angel, everyone tells me that'.
2. A light gray Ford with a dusty black hardtop is stopped in the street before an intersection.
6. The sign had appeared overnight.
11. The rhythmic sound sound of his own breathing through his regulator was, to Brodie McFadden, the sweetest music; there simply was nothing like diving.
13. Years ago, in state documents, Vachel Carmouche was always referred to as the electrician, never as the executioner.

and leave in their place:
- “The view from the narrow window was dreary and inexpressibly lonely”
- “On July 8th, 1992, a small girl woke up in her bed in her family house in the Australian state of Victoria and knew exactly who she was”
- “Eight days ago my life was an up and down affair.”
- “The old house had been empty for more than a year”
- “It was the day in my life when, were I F. Scott Fitzgerald, Zelda would break off the engagement at the weekend”

Este está comigo. Posso enviar-to amanhã. Lembra-me a tua morada, por favor.

I pick:
6. The sign had appeared overnight.

This one is mine and it is ready to post. I will drop it off the next time I do a postal run.

Mcsar, this one kizmiaz picked is yours too: “Years ago, in state documents, Vachel Carmouche was always referred to as the electrician, never as the executioner.”

Mcsar, this one kizmiaz picked is yours too: “Years ago, in state documents, Vachel Carmouche was always referred to as the electrician, never as the executioner.”

Oh, good catch. I totally missed that. You saved me. Now I can post both together. I have PM'ed kizmiaz for the address.

kizmiaz 5 mos ago
got one
"She stops, she starts off saying: 'You see I've got the face of an angel, everyone tells me that'." turned out to be Lila Says by an anonymous author.
Really curious about this one.
Thanks Arvores.

wingArvoreswing 5 mos ago
RE: got one
Glad that it has arrived :-)

The sentence is:
My father said he saw him years later playing in a tenth-rate commercial league in a textile town in Carolina, wearing shoes and an assumed name.

it turns out to be Shoeless Joe by W.P Kinsella

Great surprise - I will read this one during baseball season.

3. It was the smell Mrs Powell noticed first

and dropping in:

"Sort of thing you can't imagine happening outside of a book!"

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.