FAVOURITE BOOK OF 2019 ROUNDABOUT ** CLOSED **

Forum » Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
*** Sign-up for the 2020 Roundabout are now open ***

Sign-up will stay open until we have a maximum of 12 people taking part and it will be international as long as there are enough people to post overseas.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

** A roundabout is a type of bookring, where everyone who participates sends one of their books to the next participant. And so the book goes round until it has been with every participant and every participant has read all the books.

** So first, choose the book you enjoyed reading the most in 2019 or the one that you most want to share with other bookcrossers. It can be from any genre, fiction or non-fiction, but must be reasonably light to post internationally. No hardbacks please.

** PM me with your shipping preferences and address (I’ll only use this to pass to the person who will be posting to you). I will do my best to match everybody up.

** I will send out a list of participants towards the end of 2019 and, in January 2020, you send your book to the next person on the list.

** You will receive a book in January. You read it and then in February, send it on to the next person on the list. Repeat until you have read all 12 books and your book has returned to you.

** Regularly visit this forum conversation to update everyone when you post or receive a book, so we can see that the roundabout is still working smoothly and no books have got lost.

SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE SIGNING UP

** There will be a maximum of 12 participants and the idea is to send one book a month. This means you have to commit to READING and POSTING one book a month. If you don’t think you can do that for the whole of 2020, then this isn’t the roundabout for you.

** Please don’t mention the title of the book you’ve sent or received in this forum post - books should be a surprise.

** There may be a risk you’ll receive a book you’ve already read. But by signing up for the roundabout, you agree to post 12 books out and part of the fun is reading other people’s comments. DO NOT SKIP someone on the list just because they have read the book you are sending. DO NOT ASKED TO BE SKIPPED if you've worked out what book you are about to read - its up to you whether you re-read it, or just send it on, but everyone taking part should receive a journal entry on their book from the other 11 players.

** When choosing a book, please try to avoid books that have been used on previous year’s roundabouts (earthcaroleanne has a fantastic list on her profile page if you would like to check or get an idea of the sort of books sent).

And that’s it! Happy Reading

PLAYERS
1 Billbooks Australia (no contact? - possibly skip?)
2 Math-Girl40 Canada
3 Mcsar Canada
4 original-slicey USA (swapped with Valpette)
5 Valpete USA (swapped with original-slicey)
6 Dark-Draco UK
7 Earthcaroleanne UK
8 Cross-Patch UK
9 greenbadger UK
10 Estelle1806 Ireland
11 Fifna Netherlands
12 dutch-book Netherlands
13 Lamilla Belarus
14 Icila France

wingFifnawing 1 yr ago
Yes please!
Absolutely, count me in. I'm in the Netherlands and I can post within Europe. Thanks for organising this again!

Lamilla 1 yr ago
I'm in
I can send anywhere except for North America

If you could put me after someone from Europe (France, for example), to save on travelling time?

Thank you.

I've had a good time with participating in this roundabout for the first time, but life always gets in the way. And I truly need to break my TBR mountain down.
Thank you all for this great experience. And especially to dark-draco for organising it.

Please count me in. I've really enjoyed this roundabout.

I'd prefer to mail to Canada or the US but can do international shipping if needed.

This sounds like so much fun!! I can ship within the US & Canada.

Can you add me to this again, please? If possible can I have UK posting. I took a pay cut to work for a charity this year and after a job evaluation, they've decided to cut my salary further next year. Oh joy! But I'm not going to stop bookcrossing.

I have a book in mind, but I would prefer to post UK only.

wingmcsarwing 1 yr ago
I'm in again.
I have discovered many great books through this roundabout in my first year and would love to do it again. My shipping preference is US, then Canada and the rest of the world.

Thanks, Lamilla, for the PM. And thanks, Dark-Draco, for organizing.

I wanted to do this one last year, but with only 12 people it's hard to get on the list.
I'm USA and can send anywhere.

I'm in Europe and willing to send anywhere.

UK and will post anywhere.

I've enjoyed being in the 2018 Round-about and would like to do it again. I can ship anywhere.

I will have to find a good book...;-) Thanks for organizing, dark-draco! I can post anywhere.

I will have to find a good book...;-) Thanks for organizing, dark-draco! I can post anywhere.

Looks like I might be too late ;-(

After taking a break not just from book crossing but reading in general I've found my enthusiasm again to try books I normally wouldn't consider and from previous years when I was in this group it sure did that. For those of you who I have been or used to be in contact my partner GreggieH was diagnosised with Alzheimer's last year so it has been a tumultuous and very sad time but we adapt and getting back into reading has been great. Naturally I'll send anywhere in the world I don't think anyone else in Oz has ever joined this.

It seems there are a lot of interest here this year XD

Or adapt with more participants. After all, we don't really stick to the monthly rule.
(Easy to me to say, I'm a fast reader, as Lamilla is too.) ;)

Or adapt with more participants. After all, we don't really stick to the monthly rule.

Ahaha, true
Maybe we could join saying how many books we can read and send (12, 13 etc)...

Ahaha, true
Maybe we could join saying how many books we can read and send (12, 13 etc)...

I guess if we just close it now, then we've got 15 people - might just about be doable. There's usually at least or two books you've already read anyway, or at least that's what I generally find.

I've closed the group on 14 participants - I hope everyone is ok with that?

I've also edited the original post with a proposed travelling order- any problems, please let me know.

I also need a few addresses of people, so if you haven't PM's me, please can you, so I don't have to chase when I send out the confirmation PM's.

Thank you everyone .......

Looks great to me. Thanks for organizing, dark-draco!

looks good to me.

But FeistyPom2Love is missing from the list of players.

I asked to pass this year due to unforeseen events.

works for me

PM with address on its way.

Thanks for organising again!

wingIcilawing 1 yr ago
A tip.
We could also check our intended book against the other participant's bookshelves. It's easily done with the Advanced Search.

I have my book all ready selected with more participants would it be okay to send it off now for a Christmas read perhaps.

well, I still have about a month to read something decent XD

apart from two where I haven't received the addresses of the people they are sending too - Hopefully I'll get those ASAP.

Please double check that the details I've sent you match the list above ... just in case I've made a mistake ;)

Please double check that the details I've sent you match the list above

Yes, all correct. Thank you.

Please double check that the details I've sent you match the list above

Yes, all correct. Thank you.

The only newish book that I read and think it would be interesting to see what others think of it is a hardcover book. Which we aren't supposed to send, however, this is a smaller format hardcover and I think it will cost the same to post as any softcover book.

to Fifna, enjoy! Merry Christmas to all...🎄🎅

to Fifna, enjoy! Merry Christmas to all...🎄🎅

And it has arrived here!

directly from amazon
Label is travelling separately

directly from amazon

And the book arrived today, thank you.

directly from amazon

And the book arrived today, thank you.

The label arrived today with a beautiful card in a beautiful enveloppe. Thanks a lot Lamilla.

to give the book an early start. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone!

I have my book selected and will send it off within the next week or so.

I have chosen my book and will send to original-slicey next week. Happy reading, everyone.

My book is on its way to Estelle1806.

The last time I shipped overseas frequently was about 5 years ago.

I didn't realize that USPS changed the rules last year of what is considered a "flat." Therefore, international shipping costs from the U.S. have quadrupled.

What used to be $4+ to Canada is now $15. And I assumed that it would be $10-15 to ship from here to the UK, but it's actually $25+.

I'm really not crazy about $25-30 shipping for one book, when that's more than the cost of a brand new book.

Would you be opposed to my buying a NEW book from Amazon UK and sending that to dark-draco with the book's BCID number?

So, when a book arrives to me. I can "burn" this book and transfer the BCID number to a new book shipped from within the UK? So, the same exact book wouldn't make it around the loop in 12 months, but its BCID number WOULD.

The PROS would be that: I would save a ton of money because I can buy a replacement book from Amazon UK for less than $10 vs the $25 it costs to ship from here; there would be no delay getting books across the pond because they would be shipped from inside UK; the BCID would still make the rounds.

The one CON is that your exact book would stop with me. However, if you sent something with your book: a special bookmark or something of the like that you wished to make the rounds. I could still send that on separately. Correspondence counts as "flat" and would cost less than $5 for me to send along. That's fine with me. I'm just trying to find a way to avoid spending over $350 on this roundabout.

Thoughts?

Would you be in favor or not in favor of this?

Don't be afraid to share your opinion - it won't hurt my feelings. :)

Argh, nightmare!

It's now too late to send a special bookmark or anything, as several of us have already sent our books on the way.

What would you do with the books you would keep? I must admit I don't really like the idea of the same BCID being used in a different book, but at the very least I'd want to be certain that the first book could never resurface.

What would you do with the books you would keep? I must admit I don't really like the idea of the same BCID being used in a different book, but at the very least I'd want to be certain that the first book could never resurface.

To be honest, I'm not really in favour either. You can't have one BCID for two books, so what would you do with the original copies? Would they be destroyed? Or the BCID removed/crossed out/torn out? That doesn't sit well with me. And it could take ages for a new copy to be delivered, especially if it's not a recent and readily available title.
Sorry if this sounds really grumpy, but it's an honest answer.

I'm not in favour either. I've bought my book especially for this roundabout and would love that it could travel some more after this roundabout. Also you can't be sure that all books will be available to buy for you in the UK.

I'm not in favour either. I've bought my book especially for this roundabout and would love that it could travel some more after this roundabout. Also you can't be sure that all books will be available to buy for you in the UK.

Same for me.

We do need a decision very very soon. I also prefer to have my original book going around in the roundabout. It is messy changing the BCIDs.

If original-slicey is concerned with the postage costs, it is not too late to drop out. Even if valpete has sent her book to you, you can just send that one book onwards. I don't think it is too unfair of us to expect that.

There is another option. I don't know if it is fair to valpete to shift the onus of international shipping to her, but she was agreeable to international shipping. Maybe you could ask if she is willing to swap with you. Then you can stay in the group with US shipping.

There is another option. I don't know if it is fair to valpete to shift the onus of international shipping to her, but she was agreeable to international shipping. Maybe you could ask if she is willing to swap with you. Then you can stay in the group with US shipping.

I have posted my book already, and I would like it back at the end of the roundabout, so I am not in favour of originalslicey's proposition, sorry...

I also have received my first book from greenbadger, thank you!

I also have received my first book from greenbadger, thank you!

Glad to hear it made it safely through the Christmas post! :)

It is not too late to drop out of the roundabout if you cannot afford it. You could always join the next year (with the US-only shipping perhaps?)

It is not too late to drop out of the roundabout if you cannot afford it. You could always join the next year (with the US-only shipping perhaps?)

I posted my book today with the posting order in the journal entry so we really need to know what is happening with orginalslicey - others sooner than me.

It's on its way to mcsar now!

It's on its way to mcsar now!

and has made a safe landing. I will begin to read soon.

I would be willing to switch with originalslicey so that she can stay in the group.

Cross-Patch's book is now with me.

Happy New Year to you all!

Cross-Patch's book is now with me.

Thank goodness the postal system has worked for us this time!

Sorry, earthcaroleanne , your book arrived in the Christmas madness, got put aside, lost in the mess and now found after a frantic search through the piles, much to my relief. Thrilled it is new to me. Thank you.

Sorry, earthcaroleanne , your book arrived in the Christmas madness, got put aside, lost in the mess and now found after a frantic search through the piles, much to my relief. Thrilled it is new to me. Thank you.

Glad you have it. I was worried about posting it before Christmas but with more than 12 in the roundabout I didn't want to hold it up.

I sent my first book to Original-slicey and have PM'd her; to date, she has not logged it in nor responded to my PM. Perhaps she is away for the holidays.

It should arrive in 5-8 days. It's a quick read.

It should arrive in 5-8 days. It's a quick read.

That's quite an optimistic number for the travel time XD

Haha, maybe. It"s what our mailcarrier tells me on their website. My experience is that they're usually quite fast and my experience with sending to you is that it's usually received within that timeframe. So fingers crossed!

Haha, maybe. It"s what our mailcarrier tells me on their website. My experience is that they're usually quite fast and my experience with sending to you is that it's usually received within that timeframe. So fingers crossed!

I've sent a fair few packages to Lamilla using the same mail carrier as dutch-book. Longest was 6 weeks, quickest was 3 or 4 days. So anything's possible really!

wingFifnawing 1 yr ago
My book
will travel to dutch-book tomorrow. Should get there in a day or two.

I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

I think I w'll wait just in case. I have now 2 books to be mailed.

I guess that, like many other Aussies, he may have other things to worry about just now. Hope you're OK, Billbooks.

I guess that, like many other Aussies, he may have other things to worry about just now. Hope you're OK, Billbooks.

I was well aware of that. Billbooks had already a lot on its plate beside the fires.
The good news is that I just received a PM. He is ok although his area isn't but the monsoon has arrived with "substantial rain yesterday for the first time in months which has helped downgrade some of the fires." Fingers crossed.
I'm going to send the books. Mine and Lamilla's.

I was well aware of that. Billbooks had already a lot on its plate beside the fires.
The good news is that I just received a PM. He is ok although his area isn't but the monsoon has arrived with "substantial rain yesterday for the first time in months which has helped downgrade some of the fires." Finger crossed.
I'm going to send the books. Mine and Lamilla's.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you wouldn't know. Good to hear he's OK and they've had some rain.

wingvalpetewing 1 yr ago
New Order
I've been in touch with original-slicey, who will forward the book I sent her to Dark-draco. From then on, we agreed to switch places, so I will be mailing internationally for the rest of the year. Hope that is satisfactory to everyone.

A lovely jesture Valpete may the Book Gods shine on you

I have a feeling that this is the book that was chosen for my book club's next read, which would be incredibly serendipitous!

It did turn out to be our February book club read. :)
Now travelling to estelle1806.

Now on its way to Estelle1806.

I've also heard from Billbooks and am relieved to hear he is indeed OK. He said he will be sending out his book very shortly. I expect it'll take some time to get from Australia to Canada, so I'd like to warn mcsar and others downstream of me not to expect the book for a little while yet.

13 Jan. 2020

13 Jan. 2020

And it has arrived here.

with me

Billbooks 1 yr ago
Back
Sorry for delay my well ordered schedule got thrown into disarray. I'm caring for my partner with Alzheimers and just before New Year I awoke to a cheerful Greg saying I've just tidied everything up. Panic !! taking me ages and still haven't found everything, Found my book and found most of my Bookcrossing material so ready to post. I have to laugh or otherwise you go mad but I loved this book and I'm dying to hear what other people thought. Melbourne is blanketed in smoke again today but I'll head off to the Post Office this afternoon when the breeze comes in and moves some of the smoke away

Will travel to dutch-book tomorrow.

I'm still waiting for my book. An English copy that I ordered long time ago, sorry.
Edit : The book is officially lost in the mail, I ordered another copy in Australia to be delivered directly to Billbooks.

Billbooks 1 yr ago
Posted
Book has been posted and sent on its way to Canada. The irony of living in Australia many of the fires are being doused by heavy storms verr the last few days. There are other parts thugh that are now flooding

Billbooks 1 yr ago
Posted
Book has been posted and sent on its way to Canada. The irony of living in Australia many of the fires are being doused by heavy storms verr the last few days. There are other parts thugh that are now flooding

20 Jan. Thank you

last Saturday.

is with me

is with me

Oh, I´m so glad it arrived! I was afraid it wouldn't arrive anymore. 5-8 days was a bit optimistic then. I'll try to take that into account in the future. I hope you didn't have to pay anything to get it from the post office?

I hope you didn't have to pay anything to get it from the post office?

Luckily not!

is with me

is in the mail again

Arrived !

Travelling to Fifna 27 Jan.

Travelling to Fifna 27 Jan.

And it has arrived.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.