First Sentences Virtual Bookbox—Round 17 OPEN

Forum » Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
The First Sentences Virtual Bookbox is on the last few people for round 16 before it comes back to me, so I've started a new thread for round 17.

For a refresher, here's a link to the previous thread: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/558474

Here's how it works (thanks to wubbaducky, who originally dreamed up the idea of this VBB, for most of the text):

I'll PM the list to participant 1, who picks their choices and replaces them with their own. They'll PM the list back to me. I'll make a note of which books have been added by participant 1 and then PM the list to participant 2, who'll pick their choices and replace and PM back to me the updated list. Etc. etc. etc. So I'll be keeping tabs on who's contributed what and who's chosen what.

The catch is, you DON'T put down book titles, authors or genres. All you put on the email is the First Sentence of the book. So, for example, if books I was including on the list were Pride and Prejudice, Moby Dick and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, the virtual list would read:

1. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

2. Call me Ishmael.

3. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Then you would email me back saying you were taking out numbers 1 and 3 and replacing them with:

4. First sentence of new book

5. First sentence of other new book

Whenever the list comes back to me, I'll then PM you with the first sentence(s) you chose and the screen name(s) of the person who owns the book(s). You will then need to PM them to ask them for that first sentence book.

Please don't tell the recipient what the book is before they receive it- it's all meant to be a mysterious surprise...

Please PM me back the list ASAP- it shouldn't take you more than two weeks to make your choices and replace them and PM me back with the updates.

There should always be 16 books in the virtual bookbox. If you take out five, please replace with five, etc.

Genre doesn't matter so long as the first sentence is interesting (you define interesting). No author's notes/acknowledgements, please. Just the first sentence of the book. I will make one exception in this case: if a book has a prologue, you may choose between the prologue's first sentence and the first chapter's first sentence.

Please update this thread with the first sentence(s) you've chosen to take out and later, please let us know what book(s) they turned out to belong to- we all want to share in your fun too! And of course, don't forget to journal the books themselves later...

Please mail your books out to the people who have chosen your books as quickly as possible- within a month is preferable.

You must be willing to mail internationally, as this is an international bookbox and I can't guarantee who's going to choose your contributions.

You are responsible for contacting the person who owns your first sentence book(s).

Please post here if you are interested. No PMs, please.

Initial participant list:
Delphi_Reader
Bookworm-lady
Femke85
Soozreader
bluezwuzl
Meekachu07
greenbadger
BooksnBeer
Gillsil
sedna5213
Icila
kizmiaz
Alia_Rus—SKIPPED BECAUSE OF NON-RESPONSE
Arvores —LIST IS HERE
mcsar
adrienne10
mysteriousmummy
Lamilla
Billbooks
Annimanni
russbaum

Thanks for hosting : )

Thanks for the PM invite, and please let me know if you need any seed books to start... :)

wingFemke85wing 6 mos ago
I'm in
Thanks for the invite

wingSoozreaderwing 6 mos ago
Me too!
Thanks for the PM!

Thanks for your pm!

Love the idea of this one!

wingsedna5213wing 5 mos ago
Me too
Thanks for organizing!

And for organizing.

I'm in.

Alia_Rus 5 mos ago
I'm in :)

Thanks for the reminder.

Sorry, realised that I PM-ed you when I shouldn't have done. :(

Thanks for the invite. This has been fun and I look forward to another round.

Thanks for organizing!

Thanks for the PM

We’ll get going shortly.

1. "Begin at the beginning" is the phrase.
2. Sam Fargo rose from his crouch and glanced over at his wife, who stood up to her waist in oozing black mud.
3. They took me in my nightgown.
4. It only took a split second, although to Secret Service agent Sean King it seemed like the longest split second ever.
5. The other day Mama made up her mind she wanted some smoked mullet.
6. I see a bead of sweat pop out of his forehead and flop down his face like a melting slinky.
7. But, three months!
8. There is a regular rasp of a blade on a stone as he sharpens the knives.
9. One of the day nursery windows faced south-west across the Nile, over fields of sugar-cane and berseem stretching to the line of the desert hills upon which, an enormous triangle, stood the Great Pyramid of Khufu.
10. Poppy set down one of the mermaid dolls close to the stretch of asphalt road that represented the Blackest Sea.
11. Gregory, on my word we'll not carry coals.
12. It started as an accident.
13. In the days leading up to my husband Owen's death, he visited Alinson's house every afternoon.
14. England was cold that month.
15. Here – it is 1831 on the southernmost tip of the newest and oldest continent, the bottom of the world.
16. “The Signora had no business to do it,” said Miss Bartlett, “no business at all.”

I am taking 3, 9, 14 and 15.

As usual, I was tempted to chose all, but I managed to restrict myself to only 3 : )

I'll take out:

8. There is a regular rasp of a blade on a stone as he sharpens the knives.
10. Poppy set down one of the mermaid dolls close to the stretch of asphalt road that represented the Blackest Sea.
16. “The Signora had no business to do it,” said Miss Bartlett, “no business at all.”

I'll replace them with:

a) Mabel had known there would be silence.
b) Sitting on the edge of the bed in the front room, Blanche stoops to rip at the laces of her gaiters.
c) No, I didn't hear what he said to me.

Thank you very much for hosting this collectorkerri, it's great fun!

16 is mine. PM me your address and I’ll pop it in the mail :)

I am choosing:

9. The wedding-dress was creamy-white with a suggestion of pink behind it, like the inside of a shell.
AND
13. In the days leading up to my husband Owen's death, he visited Alinson's house every afternoon

My replacements:

"It's natural to feel guilty after the death of a loved one."
AND
""But I will give men as the price for fire an evil thing in which they may all be glad of heart while they embrace their own destruction."

Looking forward to being pleasantly surprised by the novels with these promising first sentences.
Thanks for setting this up, collectorkerry, always fun! :)

" Poppy set down one of the mermaid dolls close to the stretch of asphalt road that represented the Blackest Sea."
is the opening sentence of

Doll Bones by Holly Black
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15104616

“The Signora had no business to do it,” said Miss Bartlett, “no business at all.”
is the opening sentence of

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7214461

Thank you very much Lamilla and yogie for sending!

wingFemke85wing 3 mos ago
My choices
I will take out:

14. These killers of fish, she thought, will do anything.
15. I went back to the Devon School not long ago, and found it looking oddly newer than when I was a student there fifteen years before.

And put in:

“I’m not a grown-up, I think miserably to myself as I sit hunched over the kitchen table of a tiny flat in north London.”

"she was thirty, a pale beautiful woman with long blond hair and high cheekbones, small eyes, sensuous mouth, an air of serenity and loftiness - superiority - and under that, nervousness, insecurity, disappointment."

"There is a regular rasp of a blade on a stone as he sharpens the knives." turns out to be the opening sentence of
The Book of Fires by Jane Borodale
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8004428
It seems interesting, thank you very much!

wingSoozreaderwing 3 mos ago
My choice
I’m taking out:
4. It only took a split second, although to Secret Service agent Sean King it seemed like the longest split second ever.

And I replace it with:
4. It began at the normal daily chapter in the Benedictine monastery of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, of Shrewsbury, on the thirtieth day of July, in the year of Our Lord 1139.

Thank you!

"The wedding-dress was creamy-white with a suggestion of pink behind it, like the inside of a shell." turned out to be:

"Sleeping Tiger", by Rosamunde Pilcher
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/4008339/

Not my usual cup of tea, but I am looking forward to read it... as you say, coincidentally it is based in Spain, just like me! Nothing exotic about Madrid, anyway, and my guess is that the writer just made up "San Antonio, a tiny island off the Spanish coast". :)

I will select: Edward Wosny stood squinting at the sun as crowds of people excused themselves past him in both directions.

and replace with: A song ended and Kody McCoy smiled.

I will select: Edward Wosny stood squinting at the sun as crowds of people excused themselves past him in both directions.

and replace with: A song ended and Kody McCoy smiled.

Oops, it was myturn before Meekachu07, but I found the right thread anly just now. And actually, Meekachu07's choice was one of my sentences... 😀
---
So here is my entry at last...
My choices were:
1. "Begin at the beginning" is the phrase.
11. Gregory, on my word we'll not carry coals.
The replacements are:
- I sat in the back pew and watched the only woman I would ever love marry another man.
- The tower, which was not supposed to be there, plunges into the earth in a place just before the black pine forest begins to give way to swamp and then the reeds and wind-gnarled trees of the marsh flats.
- Edward Wosny stood squinting at the sun as crowds of people excused themselves past him in both directions.
I've allready received the names of the owners of my choices an will send pms to them later this evening.
Thanks, collectorkerri, for organizing this fun vbb. And sorry for being late with my entry!

13. In the days leading up to my husband Owen's death, he visited Alinson's house every afternoon
turned to be:

"Life Drawing", by Robin Black
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15739498/

Thanks for taking the time to write a nice note to me with the story about how you got the book and that you liked it, the little whales and a blue thingy I cannot identify... ¿?

Your book has found a good home!! Thank you!! :)

I've chosen:
1. The tower, which was not supposed to be there, plunges into the earth in a place just before the black pine forest begins to give way to swamp and then the reeds and wind-gnarled trees of the marsh flats.
2. I sat in the back pew and watched the only woman I would ever love marry another man.

And replace with:
1. The final dying sounds of their dress rehearsal left the Laurel Players with nothing to do but stand there, silent and hopeless, blinking out over the footlights of an empty auditorium.
2. It's freezing cold; like the air is made of broken glass.

I've chosen:
1. The tower, which was not supposed to be there, plunges into the earth in a place just before the black pine forest begins to give way to swamp and then the reeds and wind-gnarled trees of the marsh flats.

This is Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer.

2. I sat in the back pew and watched the only woman I would ever love marry another man.

This is Six Years by Harlan Coben.

Both look like books I will enjoy, thank you!

I've chosen:

2. It's freezing cold; like the air is made of broken glass.

And I'll replace with:
Another crime scene, a dead body and possible evidence of sorcery.

THANKS!!!!

Billbooks 2 mos ago
Too late?
After a long break back into bookcrossing and reading in general this was one of the most fun book boxes just to see what you selected.

The list is now with me and I’ll be making my choices later on today 😊

So, my choices are:
7) “But three months!” and 14) “ I’m not a grown-up, I think miserably to myself as I sit hunched over the kitchen table of a tiny flat in north London.”

I’m replacing them with:
- “The woman was looking at something over her first floor balcony, her hands gripping the railing, her neck craned forward.”
And:
“At the age of 12 I wrote the story of my life.”

I’m really looking forward to finding out what books my chosen first sentences are from!

I now have one of my choices (thank you Femke85) :
7) “But three months!” and 14) “ I’m not a grown-up, I think miserably to myself as I sit hunched over the kitchen table of a tiny flat in north London.” - turns out to be The Weekend Dad by Alison Walsh - this looks to be a really good quite light read - just what I need at the moment!

”It only took a split second, although to Secret Service agent Sean King it seemed like the longest split second ever.” turned out to be: Split Second by David Baldacci
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/3864897/

wingsedna5213wing 1 mo ago
My choice
I'm taking out:
2. Another crime scene, a dead body and possible evidence of sorcery.
And I'm adding:
We slept in what had once been the gymnasium.

Thanks a lot collectorkerri!

wingIcilawing 1 mo ago
My turn.
I chose :
3 - An afternoon following a day so perfect that people can speak of nothing but how perfect of a day it has been
13. It's natural to feel guilty after the death of a loved one.

My replacements :
- There is no mystery to happiness.
- Two people, a man and a woman, are walking along a hospital corridor.

Thank you collectorkerri for this very much appreciated VBB.

13. It's natural to feel guilty after the death of a loved one.
This one is mine; I am sure I have your address, if you haven't moved recently, so the book will soon be on its way to you. :)

Updated on January, 23rd: Sent today... :)

I pick:
2. We slept in what had once been the gymnasium.
5. The other day Mama made up her mind she wanted some smoked mullet.+
7. The woman was looking at something over her first floor balcony, her hands gripping the railing, her neck craned forward.
9. But I will give men as the price for fire an evil thing in which they may all be glad of heart while they embrace their own destruction.

and drop in their place:
- "With the North wind hard at his back, Scully stood in the doorway and sniffed."
- "So far, apart from just a couple of hitches, Plan A was working out fine."
- "Moran's first impression of Nolen Tyner: He looked like a high risk, the kind of guy who falls asleep smoking in bed."
- "The last time I saw Cassandra..."

I pick:

9. But I will give men as the price for fire an evil thing in which they may all be glad of heart while they embrace their own destruction.

This one is mine; please send me your addy, so that I can send it to you.
I hope it will be a nice surprise! :)

I picked: Edward Wosny stood squinting at the sun as crowds of people excused themselves past him in both directions.

Which ended up being "Codex" by Lev Grossman which I read back in 2010.

"An afternoon following a day so perfect that people can speak of nothing but how perfect of a day it has been" turned to be Lost Girls by Andrew Pyper. I'm very happy, thank you collertorkerri !

"It's natural to feel guilty after the death of a loved one." Turned to be Circle of Three by Patricia Gaffney. Thank you Bookworm-lady !

" But I will give men as the price for fire an evil thing in which they may all be glad of heart while they embrace their own destruction" turned out to be from Pandora's Box by Alice Thompson.
Looks good. Thanks for sharing Bookworm Lady!

I choose:
1. The final dying sounds of their dress rehearsal left the Laurel Players with nothing to do but stand there, silent and hopeless, blinking out over the footlights of an empty auditorium.
2. With the North wind hard at his back, Scully stood in the doorway and sniffed.
8. Mabel had known there would be silence.

And add the following to the list:
- "She stops, she starts off saying: 'You see I've got the face of an angel, everyone tells me that'."
- "I first heard of Tavia in a sort of semi-detached way."
- "Rebekah of the violet eyes heard a voice that would haunt her the rest of her life."

Thank you so much for this exciting bookbox :-)

8. Mabel had known there would be silence.

This one is mine. Please send me your address and I'll post it asap.

"With the North wind hard at his back, Scully stood in the doorway and sniffed."
This one is mine. send me the address and I'll send it along my friend.

"We slept in what had once been the gymnasium." turned out to be The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. what a nice surprise!!

"The woman was looking at something over her first floor balcony, her hands gripping the railing, her neck craned forward." turned out to be Spring Garden by Tomoka Shibasaki.
Another new author to discover.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.