OLD Int'l Bookray, Javatrekker: Dispatches From the World of Fair Trade Coffee

Forum » Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
This bookray has been going for years! Please help it carry on!

Javatrekker: Dispatches From the World of Fair Trade Coffee
by Dean Cycon

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7911026

Please PM me with your postal preferences.

*From Back*
In each cup of coffee the major issues of the twenty-first century-globalization, immigration, women's rights, pollution, indigenous rights, and self-determination-are played out in villages and remote areas around the world. In 'Javatrekker: Dispatches from the World of Fair Trade Coffee', a unique hybrid of Fair Trade business study, adventure travel, and cultural anthropology, author and coffee entreneur Dean Cycon introduces readers to the real people who make our morning coffee ritual possiable-people that few, if any,outsiders have ever seen. Readers are introduced to the Mamos of Colombia-holy men who believe they are literally holding the world together-despite the effects of climate change caused by us, their "younger brothers". And Cycon takes readers on a trip through an ancient forestin Ethiopia where many believe that coffee was first discovered 1,500 years ago by the goatherd Kaldi. Rich with stories of people, landscapes, and customs, 'Javatrekker' offers a deep appreciation and understanding of the global trade and culture of coffee.

Countries this book has been to:

New Zealand
USA
UK
South Africa
Italy
Thailand
Japan
Chile
Germany
United Arab Emirates
Norway
Canada
Portugal
Romania
Netherlands
France
Switzerland
Argentina

The bookray so far!

1.) labmomnm -US (Int'l post) *Done*
2.) karen07814 -UK (UK/EU post only) *Done*
3.) katrinat -UK (Int'l post) *Done*
4.) shovelmonkey1 -UK (Int'l post) *Done*
5.) mrbaggins1 -South Africa (Int'l post)*Done*
6.) Hayes13 -Italy (Int'l post)*Done*
7.) bookowl1000 -UK(Thailand when book arrived) (Int'l post)*Done*
8.) pinkbug1 -Japan (Int'l post)*Done*
9.) duza-kaluza -Chile (Int'l post)*Done*
10.) SerendipityN -Germany (Int'l post)*Done*
11.) DubaiReader -United Arab Emirates (Int'l post)*Done*
12.) GronnLivsstil -Norway (Int'l post)*Done*
13.) Kally93 -Canada (?)*Done*
14.) k00kaburra -USA (US/Canada post)*Done*
15.) LittleWhiteBird -USA (US/Canada post)*Done*
16.) azuki -USA (US/Canada post)*Done*
17.) BooksandMusic -USA (Int'l post)*Done*
18.) judygreeneyes -USA (US/Int'l post)*Done*
19.) VictoriaWagtail -Sweden (presuming EU post)*Skipped*
20.) Arvores -Portugal (EU post)*Done*
21.) lamelemon -Romania (EU/Int'l post)*Done*
22.) carmendoran -UK (UK/EU post)*Skipped*
23.) Abi-Gibby -UK (presuming EU post)*Skipped*
24.) iiwi -Netherlands (EU/Int'l post)*Done*
25.) Icila -France (Int'l post)*Done*
26.) Delphi_Reader -Greece (Int'l post)*Done*
27.) susanna koh -Malaysia (Int'l post)*Stalled, got a new copy*
28.) penelopewanders -Switzerland (EU Post)*Done*
29.) Trojanhorse -UK (Int'l post)*Done*
30.) mcsar -Canada (US Post)*Done*
31.) BOOKWORMINUSALL -USA (post?)*Done*
32.) rhythmbiscuit -USA (US post)*Done*
33.) jax987654321 -UK (EU Post)*Done*
34.) Poodlesister -UK (Int'l Post)*Done*
35.) hesiodo66 -Argentina (Int'l Post)*Here*
36.) StrangeEmily -Greece (Int'l Post)
37.) Billbooks -Australia (Int'l Post)

but I think this sounds like it might be just my cup of ... Ok, silly comments aside, I'm in Switzerland and would only really want to post within Europe. I'm interested in learning (yet) more about fair trade business and this sounds like a good source.

:-)

Sfogs 3 yrs ago
Bump

we are huge coffee drinkers here : )

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed with book rings, I have signed on a few and books seemed stalled for months, so I am reluctant to join more. But this sounds interesting, so I'll give it a try and keep my fingers crossed.

If book arrives anytime before October, I am happy to post internationally (I work in tourism and finances get a bit tight on winter months...)

You are on the list

Hopefully I will have the opportunity to enjoy reading this book. Malaysia, will ship internationally.

Hopefully I can find out soon

W'll send it to Delphi-Reader soon.

If you're looking to extend the list I'd be interested in joining and am happy to send international from the UK.

I'm interested in reading this book. If at all possible, I prefer mailing within the U.S.

I hope you got to read it :-)

Thank you!

HAHAHAHAHA!!! My trying to "behave" and not join in any Book/Rings/Rays/Boxes this year, certainly didn't last long...we are still in the month of January!!! : D I DO so LOVE reading about the topic of Fair Trade though, and I certainly DO love my Morning Joe...and sometimes a Mid-Afternoon Joe : D , so I would be delighted to join in...THANK YOU for PMing me with your kind offer!!! ; )

Did you know the USA has a Fair Trade Headquarters in Oakland, California? Many stores in my home state of Arizona have an increasing variety of Fair Trade Products. We even have a tomato farm in the city of Nogales on the southern border of Arizona that was the first farm in the USA to be Fair Trade Certified. This article from last April tells all about it for those who may be interested.
https://www.npr.org/---/not-just-for-foreign-foods-fair-trade-label-comes-to-u-s-farms

Thank you, hopefully it won't take long before I read it and pass it on.

Could you clarify who's next? I think on the journal entries is susanna koh in Malaysia while here in this thread is penelopewanders in Switzerland?

It's been 2 months since I posted to Malaysia, I hope it's not lost!

Sfogs 2 yrs ago
I have messaged her to see if see had got it yet.
If it is lost I can get another copy and just use the same BCID so we can keep following it.

wingDelphi_Readerwing 2 yrs ago
RE: .
I have messaged her to see if see had got it yet.
If it is lost I can get another copy and just use the same BCID so we can keep following it.

I'm affraid I sent a couple of PMs to sussana koh before posting here a month ago and got no reply. I'm aware of at least one more bookring which is stalled after the book was sent to her. That book too is not journaled as received and there are no news about it...

I hope sussana koh is alright, it would be good to hear of her...

if it is not too late. I am in Canada and prefer to ship to US.

I am in Canada and prefer to ship to US.
Would still love to take a peek at this one. Perhaps I could follow mcsar, as I am in the USA. I posted up there 6 months ago after receiving a PM from you Sfogs, but was never added into the list. No worries though. 😉

I'll add you now, sorry about that!

I'll add you now, sorry about that!

THANK YOU, Sfogs...&...no worries. ; ) Looks like I may not have indicated my postal preferences as you requested, so my apologies. Preferably US, however...I wouldn't want someone wishing to participate to miss out, and in that case...I'd consider mailing Internationally. ; )

Sfogs 2 yrs ago
New Book
I have just ordered another copy.
I will send it out with the same BCID so it can continue the bookray.

Just to report that the book is currently with me and I've just started reading it. May take me a little while but I'll aim to get it on to mcsar soon. :)

Just in case you think I've forgotten - I haven't!
Apologies for the delay. I'll get Javatrekker trekking again in the next couple of weeks.

I haven't done a book ring for absolutely ages!
UK - prefer post Europe.

Any US people who are happy to post internationally?
Everyone from everywhere is welcome to join!!

Posted out today so now on its way to mcsar in Canada.
Thanks for making this book available. Have thoroughly enjoyed being part of its lengthy journey.

Thanks, Trojanhorse, for sending and, Sfogs, for sharing this as a bookray. I will start reading soon and keep the ray going.

Sorry it took me a while to finish. Very informative read. Thanks for sharing.

WHOOO HOOOO...& I am that lucky next reader, as "Javatrekker" has arrived in the Sonoran Desert in the USA https://www.desertusa.com/sonoran-desert.html !!! 😁THANK YOU for sending this to me mcsar...LOOOVE your little sticky note. 😉

After reviewing above, Sfogs...it looks as though I had not indicated my postal preferences (my apologies), which would be US...unless someone wishing to participate would be left out, & then I'd certainly consider mailing Internationally. 😉 With rhythmbiscuit listed as next in line, it looks as though things will work out just fine, although it will take me a bit of time to read through this one. THANK YOU, for your extra efforts in going above & beyond the call of duty in securing a second copy to replace the original in order to continue to share this book via this Int'l Bookray for all!!!💖I'm looking forward to "exploring" the world of coffee that I have had to do without for the past few months. Thank goodness I can still enjoy my TAZO Green Ginger and Zen teas!!! 😊

It looks like I'll have to skip my turn unless there's another US reader. I cannot afford international postage.

It looks like I'll have to skip my turn unless there's another US reader. I cannot afford international postage.

I am ready to send "Javatrekker" trekking, & with rhythmbiscuit in the US next in line in front of jax987654321 in the UK, if no one else in the US that could mail to the UK is interested in joining in, I will offer to send stamps to cover half of the UK postage, if rhythmbiscuit is willing to split the cost. There are two others on the list that skipped, but they are also in the UK. PMing Sfogs and rhythmbiscuit after posting here.😉

I am ready to send "Javatrekker" trekking, & with rhythmbiscuit in the US next in line in front of jax987654321 in the UK, if no one else in the US that could mail to the UK is interested in joining in, I will offer to send stamps to cover half of the UK postage, if rhythmbiscuit is willing to split the cost. There are two others on the list that skipped, but they are also in the UK. PMing Sfogs and rhythmbiscuit after posting here.😉

That's very generous of you, BOOKWORMINUSALL. Yes, I'm willing to mail to the UK if you send some stamps. Maybe once the book is over there, the skipped UK readers will also want a turn.

Thank you! I'll respond to your PM, too.

Yes, I'm willing to mail to the UK if you send some stamps.
SUPER!!!😁 I received your PM with address, and I'll send the book, along with some of these lovely "Global Succulents" https://store.usps.com/---/global-green-succulent-S_564504 , out in the mail the first part of next week sometime, along with some other BC Mail I am working on that I need to get sent off.😊
Maybe once the book is over there, the skipped UK readers will also want a turn.
That's what I was hoping, and I didn't want anyone who was wishing to read it to be left out, either, so...THANK YOU...for accepting my offer, rhythmbiscuit!!!😉

😃

Yes...inDEED, & it's currently en route to Colorado, as well...ETA Friday, 21 June 2019!!!😉 USPS Tracking #9549012652499169196629

I can pist anywhere.

I can post anywhere.

And i could send internationally, so if you put me after jax987654321 I can send somewhere further afield

I'm finding this book interesting, so I should be finished soon. Then I'll mail the book along to jax.

Sorry for the delay. This book is in the mail to jax987654321.

I'd love to join. Can post internationally from Greece, pm'ing you!

Book is with me

I have PMd hesiodo66 for an address as I am ready to send on.

Posted today

hesiodo66 1 yr ago
Received
In Argentina now.

This books has been on a worldwide trip for years!
Anyone else want to join? I know international post is crazy at the moment.

hesiodo66 8 mos ago
Hi
Complicstrd in this moment for pandemia. I will try to send it to the next, strange emily.

hesiodo66 8 mos ago
Problem
Hi, i tried today to send the book, but the mail company in my country dont send anything pverseas.

I will try again at the end of coronavirus problem

Sfogs 7 mos ago
RE: Problem
Thanks for trying! It's so hard at the moment

Billbooks 6 mos ago
Australia
Didn't see Australia on the list so I'll put my hand up especially since the book I'm reading is The Monk of Mocker will post worldwide

Thank you!

hesiodo66 1 mo ago
Hi
Mail overseas is working again!!!!! So i will try. The top is 2kg weight. So, i guess it will no problem with this book.

winghobbitwing 1 mo ago
Joining
Wow, this book is quite the traveler! Although I'm mainly a tea drinker, it sounds interesting. I lived for 4 years on the island of Java so I'm somewhat familiar with some of the issues but I'd love a bit more international perspective on them. And the travelogue part sounds fascinating, too. So if you're still adding people, I'd love to join.

hesiodo66 1 mo ago
Today
Today, this book started its travel to Greece!!!!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.