corner corner First Sentences Virtual Bookbox--ROUND 13 CLOSED

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

First Sentences Virtual Bookbox--ROUND 13 CLOSED

The First Sentences Virtual Bookbox is on the last few people for round 12 before it comes back to me, so I've started a new thread for round 13.

For a refresher, here's a link to the previous thread: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/532754

Here's how it works (thanks to wubbaducky, who originally dreamed up the idea of this VBB, for most of the text):

I'll PM the list to participant 1, who picks their choices and replaces them with their own. They'll PM the list back to me. I'll make a note of which books have been added by participant 1 and then PM the list to participant 2, who'll pick their choices and replace and PM back to me the updated list. Etc etc etc. So I'll be keeping tabs on who's contributed what and who's chosen what.

The catch is, you DON'T put down book titles, authors or genres. All you put on the email is the First Sentence of the book. So, for example, if books I was including on the list were Pride and Prejudice, Moby Dick and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, the virtual list would read:

1. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a
good fortune must be in want of a wife.

2. Call me Ishmael.

3. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Then you would email me back saying you were taking out numbers 1 and 3 and replacing them with:

4. First sentence of new book

5. First sentence of other new book

Whenever the list comes back to me, I'll then PM you with the first sentence(s) you chose and the screen name(s) of the person who owns the book(s). You will then need to PM them to ask them for that first sentence book.

Please don't tell the recipient what the book is before they receive it- it's all meant to be a mysterious surprise...

Please PM me back the list ASAP- it shouldn't take you more than two weeks to make your choices and replace them and PM me back with the updates.

There should always be 14 books in the virtual bookbox. If you take out five, please replace with five, etc.

Genre doesn't matter so long as the first sentence is interesting (you define interesting). No author's notes/acknowledgements, please. Just the first sentence of the book. I will make one exception in this case: if a book has a prologue, you may choose between the prologue's first sentence and the first chapter's first sentence.

Please update this thread with the first sentence(s) you've chosen to take out and later, please let us know what book(s) they turned out to belong to- we all want to share in your fun too! And of course, don't forget to journal the books themselves later...

Please mail your books out to the people who have chosen your books as quickly as possible- within a month is preferable.

You must be willing to mail internationally, as this is an international bookbox and I can't guarantee who's going to choose your contributions.

You are responsible for contacting the person who owns your first sentence book(s).

Please post here if you are interested. No PMs, please.

Participant order:
Lamilla
jlautner
Icila
alexotanil
Chawoso
keeta1
bluezwuzl
Sedna5213
Meekachu07
Billbooks
Greenbadger
Bookworm-lady
Catsalive
BooksNBeer
Mecu
Soozreader
Mysteriousmummy
bookworm76
Tsjara
Rhythmbiscuit
inkribbon
Clairby11xxx--ASKED TO BE SKIPPED
lilith89
Jasperthecactus
susanna_koh--LIST IS HERE
mcsar

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image

The First Sentences Virtual Bookbox is on the last few people for round 12 before it comes back to me, so I've started a new thread for round 13.

For a refresher, here's a link to the previous thread: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/532754

Here's how it works (thanks to wubbaducky, who originally dreamed up the idea of this VBB, for most of the text):

I'll PM the list to participant 1, who picks their choices and replaces them with their own. They'll PM the list back to me. I'll make a note of which books have been added by participant 1 and then PM the list to participant 2, who'll pick their choices and replace and PM back to me the updated list. Etc etc etc. So I'll be keeping tabs on who's contributed what and who's chosen what.

The catch is, you DON'T put down book titles, authors or genres. All you put on the email is the First Sentence of the book. So, for example, if books I was including on the list were Pride and Prejudice, Moby Dick and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, the virtual list would read:

1. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a
good fortune must be in want of a wife.

2. Call me Ishmael.

3. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Then you would email me back saying you were taking out numbers 1 and 3 and replacing them with:

4. First sentence of new book

5. First sentence of other new book

Whenever the list comes back to me, I'll then PM you with the first sentence(s) you chose and the screen name(s) of the person who owns the book(s). You will then need to PM them to ask them for that first sentence book.

Please don't tell the recipient what the book is before they receive it- it's all meant to be a mysterious surprise...

Please PM me back the list ASAP- it shouldn't take you more than two weeks to make your choices and replace them and PM me back with the updates.

There should always be 14 books in the virtual bookbox. If you take out five, please replace with five, etc.

Genre doesn't matter so long as the first sentence is interesting (you define interesting). No author's notes/acknowledgements, please. Just the first sentence of the book. I will make one exception in this case: if a book has a prologue, you may choose between the prologue's first sentence and the first chapter's first sentence.

Please update this thread with the first sentence(s) you've chosen to take out and later, please let us know what book(s) they turned out to belong to- we all want to share in your fun too! And of course, don't forget to journal the books themselves later...

Please mail your books out to the people who have chosen your books as quickly as possible- within a month is preferable.

You must be willing to mail internationally, as this is an international bookbox and I can't guarantee who's going to choose your contributions.

You are responsible for contacting the person who owns your first sentence book(s).

Please post here if you are interested. No PMs, please.

Participant order:
Lamilla
jlautner
Icila
alexotanil
Chawoso
keeta1
bluezwuzl
Sedna5213
Meekachu07
Billbooks
Greenbadger
Bookworm-lady
Catsalive
BooksNBeer
Mecu
Soozreader
Mysteriousmummy
bookworm76
Tsjara
Rhythmbiscuit
inkribbon
Clairby11xxx--ASKED TO BE SKIPPED
lilith89
Jasperthecactus
susanna_koh--LIST IS HERE
mcsar
Profile Image
Feel free to keep bumping me to the bottom of the list, my TBR is a bit out of control at the moment!
Profile Image
when does this start, march-april?
Profile Image
when does this start, march-april?

Yes. There are about five people left in the current round.
Profile Image
Love to be a part of this again.
Profile Image
Thank you for the reminder.
Profile Image

yes!

Count me in please :)
Profile Image

Yes, please

Thanks for your reminder!
Profile Image

Yes please :)

I'd love to join again, thanks.
Profile Image
I really love this VBB! Thanks for your reminder and for organizing another round!
Profile Image
Thanks a lot for the reminder e-mail and the organisation, collectorkerri!
Profile Image
I'm definitely in
Profile Image
I love this VBB one of if not my favourite
Profile Image
Thank you for your PM and thank you for organising again. :)
Profile Image
I really enjoyed this round; please keep me in for the next one.
I have already PMed you... Thanks for setting this up! :)
Profile Image
Yes, I'll be in it again.
Profile Image

I'm in!

Again :) Thanks for keeping it running!
Profile Image
Thank you for the reminder!:)
Profile Image
I love this one
Profile Image

Yes please

Thanks for hosting again! And for the reminder!
Profile Image
Add me, please!
Profile Image
1. I first met Dean not long after my wife and I split up.
2. The first annoying thing is when I ask Dad what he thinks happened to Mom, he always says, "What's most important is for you to understand it's not your fault."
3. We came on the wind of the carnival.
4. He called it quits earlier than usual.
5. In the days when the spinning-wheels hummed busily in the farmhouses - and even great ladies, clothed in silk and thread-lace, had their toy spinning-wheels of polished oak - there might be seen in districts far away among the lanes, or deep in the bosom of the hills, certain pallid undersized men, who by the side of the brawny country-folk looked like the remnants of a disinherited race.
6. A few minutes past one o'clock in the morning, a hard rain fell without warning.
7. Although I am an old man, night is generally my time for walking.
8. He woke up scared.
9. In September, after the primary, they rented an old yellow cottage in the timber at the edge of Lake of the Woods.
10. I spent a long afternoon at the morgue.
11. When I was fifteen, I got hepatitis.
12. Susan Scott is a wonder.
13. The boy's name was Santiago.
14. My sister Kwan believes she has yin eyes.

I will be sending the list to Lamilla shortly. If you are interested in participating, I am still open for sign ups. Please post here.
Profile Image

My choices

I have chosen:

11. This is the story of a blood-stained boy.

I am offering:

* I remember, in no particular order:
- a shiny inner wrist;
- steam rising from a wet sink as a hot frying pan is laughingly tossed into it:
- gouts of sperm circling a plughole, before being sluiced down the full ength of a tall house;
- a river rushing nonsensically upstream, its wave and wash lit by half a dozen chasing torchbeams;
- another river, broad and grey, the direction of its flow disguised by a stiff wind exciting the surface;
-bathwater long gone cold behind a locked door.

* From the window all that could be seen was a receding area of grey.

Profile Image

RE: My choices

I have chosen:

I am offering:

* I remember, in no particular order:
- a shiny inner wrist;
- steam rising from a wet sink as a hot frying pan is laughingly tossed into it:
- gouts of sperm circling a plughole, before being sluiced down the full ength of a tall house;
- a river rushing nonsensically upstream, its wave and wash lit by half a dozen chasing torchbeams;
- another river, broad and grey, the direction of its flow disguised by a stiff wind exciting the surface;

* From the window all that could be seen was a receding area of grey.

Have you Pmed collectorkerri ?
Profile Image

This book is mine. Please PM me your address
Profile Image
I'm taking out:
9. In September, after the primary, they rented an old yellow cottage in the timber at the edge of Lake of the Woods

My replacements:
- The murdered baby has been discovered in a small suitcase.
- This is the story of a blood-stained boy.
- Dr. P was a musician of distinction, well-known for many years as a singer, and then, at the local School of Music, as a teacher.
Profile Image
I'm taking out:
9. In September, after the primary, they rented an old yellow cottage in the timber at the edge of Lake of the Woods

My replacements:
- The murdered baby has been discovered in a small suitcase.
- This is the story of a blood-stained boy.
- Dr. P was a musician of distinction, well-known for many years as a singer, and then, at the local School of Music, as a teacher.

I have sent your No. 2 choice today.
I hope it's a pleasant surprise... enjoy! :)
Profile Image

Turned out to be my wishlist book, The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. Thank you so much!
Profile Image

Turned out to be my wishlist book, The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. Thank you so much!

Brilliant! Enjoy!!
Profile Image

This one arrived today - turned out to be The Hunded secret Senses by Amy Tan, cool! The book doesn't have BC label or note attached, could you please PM me the BCID?
Profile Image
I'm taking out:

Received today. Turned out to be In the Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brien. It will be the second book by this author for me. Nice!
Profile Image

My turn :

I'm choosing :
9- The murdered baby has been discovered in a small suitcase
4- He called it quits earlier than usual
10- I spent a long afternoon at the morgue

And I propose :
- The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.
- Julia gave the child the doll, and waited.
- The boat is smaller than he imagined.
Profile Image

This is mine, please PM me your address
Profile Image

Arrived !

This is mine, please PM me your address

And it's Murder on the Home Front. A true story of morgues, murderers and mystery in the blitz. by Molly Lefebure
Seems a good choice. Thanks Lamilla !
Profile Image
9. The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.

and replacing with:
- This is where the dragons went.
- The wagon came out of the sun with its attendant din of iron rims turning on flinty shale, its worn silvergray fired orange by the malefic light flaring behind it, the driver disdaining the road for the shortcut down the steep incline, erect now and sawing the lines,, riding the brake onehanded until the wheels locked and skidded, then releasing it so that wagon and team and man moved in a constantly varying cacophony of shrieks and rattles and creaks and underlying it all the perpetual skirling of steel on stone.
Profile Image

RE: Taking out

9. The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.

The book is mine, please send me your address.
Profile Image
This one is mine. Please PM your address.
Profile Image
That very special sentence catchs my interest:
7. I remember, in no particular order:
- a shiny inner wrist;

It was replaced with:
7. At ten minutes to noon, on the day before Christmas Eve, 1994, an off-duty electrical repair man named Dermot Shouldice was approached outside the Busaras coach terminal in north central Dublin by an ash-haired, elegant, row-boned woman he took to be some kind of lunatic.
Profile Image
" He called it quits earlier than usual" turned to be : Close Case by Alafair Burke.
Thank you keeta1 !
Profile Image
"I spent a long afternoon at the morgue" is The Bone Vault by Linda Fairstein. Thank you collectorkerri ! The mail rate is out of proportion though.
Profile Image

My turn :)

I’m taking out these three:

1 - The first annoying thing is when I ask Dad what he thinks happened to Mom, he always says, "What's most important is for you to understand it's not your fault."
2 - Julia gave the child the doll, and waited.
3 - He woke up scared.

And replacing them with:
1 - All he wanted was a case of beer.
2 - Moon.
3 - At night, Mr Phillips lies beside his wife and dreams about other women.

Thanks collectorkerri :)
Profile Image

RE: My turn :)

- Julia gave the child the doll, and waited.

This book is mine, keeta1. :o)
Profile Image
Thank you Icila.

The first sentence: Julia gave the child the doll, and waited. - belongs to "The Unknown Bridesmaid"by Margaret Forster.
A good choice, I think :)
Profile Image
Thanks, Icila.
"The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle" is "Paper towns" by John Green.
I have already read this book so it will continue its travel.
Profile Image
... several intriguing sentences, but due to a lack of suitable replacements, I had to cut the number of choices to three:
8. Moon. turned out to be "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsey: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13842572
10. "The boat was smaller than he imagined" - turned out to be "Black Water Rising" by Attica Locke: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14242330
14. "Dr. P was a musician of distinction, well-known for many years as a singer, and then, at the local School of Music, as a teacher." turned out to be "The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat" by Oliver Sacks: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10079638

My replacements are
- At nine o'clock that night the wind dropped and with it dropped my heart.
- People think working in a resort town is like one long vacation.
- That October was much as usual - blowy, damp, mild, the leaves still green on the boughs, the sheep fat-bottomed and clean with their new fleece, complacent from the attentions of the tup.
Thanks for all those interesting sentences, and, especially to collectorkerri for organizing this fun!
Profile Image
8. Moon

This sentence is mine bluezwuzl, so if you send your address, I'll pop it in the post :)
Profile Image
The boat was smaller than he imagined

This one is mine. Sending it soon. :)
Profile Image
What a great choice!
7. I remember, in no particular order:
- a shiny inner wrist;
turned out as The Sense on an Ending by Julian Barnes
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13410065

Thanks for shipping, jlautner!
Profile Image
Thank you to collectorkerri for both of them.

The first annoying thing is when I ask Dad what he thinks happened to Mom, he always says, "What's most important is for you to understand it's not your fault." - This is Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple.

He woke up scared. - This is Code To Zero by Ken Follett

Both look like good choices.

As always, thanks to collectorkerri for hosting this VBB :)
Profile Image

and I'm taking out:

4. At night, Mr. Phillips lies besides his wife and dreams about other women.

10. People think working in a resort town is like one long vacation.

and I'm putting in:

4. "Will you dance?"

10. I stood in front of a full-length mirror and didn't recognise the woman who appeared there.

Thanks a lot collectorkerri!
Profile Image
I have selected:

8. At nine o'clock that night the wind dropped and with it dropped my heart.

and replaced with:

"I need to see you", Phillip said
Profile Image
Is it possible to jump in? I can ship anywhere.
Profile Image
Sure. I'll put you at the end of the list.
Profile Image

My choices

2. All he wanted was a case of beer
3. We came in on the wind of the carnival
6. A few minutes passed one o'clock in the morning

the replacements

To the public eye, the spouses of well-known are all but invisible, and no one knew that better than Lisey Landon.

2. Rachel was woken by a painting or, rather, by the idea of one

3.There once was a young man who wished to gain his heart's desire
Profile Image
We came in on the wind of the carnival

That is mine!! I was starting to think that nobody would pick it.

Can you please PM me your address :-)
Profile Image
I will choose please:

5. In the days when the spinning-wheels hummed busily in the farmhouses - and even great ladies, clothed in silk and thread-lace, had their toy spinning-wheels of polished oak - there might be seen in districts far away among the lanes, or deep in the bosom of the hills, certain pallid undersized men, who by the side of the brawny country-folk looked like the remnants of a disinherited race.

and

14.That October was much as usual - blowy, damp, mild, the leaves still green on the boughs, the sheep fat-bottomed and clean with their new fleece, complacent from the attentions of the tup.

Putting in:
"Tonight we're going show you eight silent ways to kill a man."

and

When the lights went off the accompanist kissed her.
Profile Image

This is Silas Marner by George Elliot. Looking forward to reading this, thank you! :)
Profile Image

14.That October was much as usual - blowy, damp, mild, the leaves still green on the boughs, the sheep fat-bottomed and clean with their new fleece, complacent from the attentions of the tup.

This turned out to be Death in the Cotswolds by Rebecca Tope. Looks like the sort of thing I'll enjoy, thank you! :)
Profile Image
I choose:

"At ten minutes to noon, on the day before Christmas Eve, 1994, an off-duty electrical repair man named Dermot Shouldice was approached outside the Busaras coach terminal in north central Dublin by an ash-haired, elegant, row-boned woman he took to be some kind of lunatic."

AND

"Rachel was woken by a painting or, rather, by the idea of one."

My replacements:

"I returned from the City about three o'clock on that May afternoon pretty well disgusted with life."

AND

"Faith Mitchell dumped the contents of her purse onto the passenger seat of her Mini, trying to find something to eat."

Thanks for setting this up, Collectorkerri, this is an interesting way to read books that we might not have chosen by title / genre.

Happy Sunday! :)
Profile Image
I choose:

"At ten minutes to noon, on the day before Christmas Eve, 1994, an off-duty electrical repair man named Dermot Shouldice was approached outside the Busaras coach terminal in north central Dublin by an ash-haired, elegant, row-boned woman he took to be some kind of lunatic."

Back from Austria I put it in the mail today.
Profile Image
Is it too late to jump in on this? I'd love to join!
Profile Image
Is it too late to jump in on this? I'd love to join!

Nope! I'll add you to the end of the list.
Profile Image
Thank you bluewuzl for Crime de Cocoa by JoAnna Carl! The first sentence is: "People think working in a resort town is one long vacation."
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14180672
Profile Image
I'm taking:

10. I stood in front of a full-length mirror and didn't recognise the woman who appeared there.

11. From the window all that could be seen was a receding area of grey.

& adding:

I believe in miracles.

I had been sick for a long time.
Profile Image
I'm taking:

That book is with me, please send me your address.
Profile Image
Thanks, sedna5213.
This is A Cornish Affair by Liz Fenwick
http://bookcrossing.com/---/14282427

Thanks, jlautner.
11. From the window all that could be seen was a receding area of grey.
This is Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner
http://bookcrossing.com/---/8332589
Profile Image
My sentence was: At nine o'clock that night the wind dropped and with it dropped my heart.

The book is "The Amethysts" by Frank Delaney. Also came with some great bookmarks
Profile Image
Thank you keeta1 for "Mr Phillips" by John Lanchester

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14389340

The first sentence is: "At night, Mr Phillips lies besides his wife and dreams about other women."
Profile Image

I received the list a day or two ago and I needed to think on it and select my sentences. After some deliberations :

I selected the following:

9. This is where the dragons went.
10.  I believe in miracles.

and I will replace them with the following sentences:

In his official Fiesta Cruise Lines shirt, Emillio Sanchez stood before the
bathroom mirror squinting at his new tummy bulge.

Quentin did a magic trick, nobody noticed.

Profile Image
10.  I believe in miracles.
This one's mine. PM your address, BooksnBeer.
Profile Image
9. This is where the dragons went.

This book is mine. Please PM me your address.
Profile Image

My choices

After a couple of days' thinking, I'm choosing these two:

5. "Tonight we're going show you eight silent ways to kill a man."
10. Quentin did a magic trick, nobody noticed.

There was also one more beautiful first sentence but that one I recognized, and since it's from one of my favorite books, I'm leaving it for someone else. :)

My replacements are:

5. The dream was always the same.
10. Moon.
Profile Image
"Susan Scott is a wonder" is the first sentence of "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Thanks so much!
Profile Image
I chose the following first sentences:

4. "Will you dance?"

8. "I need to see you," Phillip said.

11. I had been sick for a long time.

And replaced them with:

4. The ancient Chinese believed time is not a ladder one ascends into the future but a ladder one descends into the past.

8. Subsidising public transport had long been associated in the minds of both Government and the majority of its public with the denial of individual liberty.

11. Ever since I lost mine in a road accident when I was eight, I have had my eye on other people's parents.

Thank you!
Profile Image
I chose the following first sentences:

4. "Will you dance?"

That book is with me. Please send me your address.
Profile Image
Sorry for the delay, I will be choosing;
1. To the public eye, the spouses of well-known are all but invisible, and no one knew that better than Lisey Landon.
2. Subsidising public transport had long been associated in the minds of both Government and the majority of its public with the denial of individual liberty.

3. Moon.

And will be replacing them with

1. So this, said Kay to herself, is the sort of person you’ve become: a person whose clocks and wrist-watches have stopped and who tells the time, instead, by the particular kind of cripple arriving at her landlord’s door.

2. My first sight of England was on a foggy March night in 1973 when I arrived on the midnight ferry from Calais.

3. I was conceived amidst the smell of damp canvas on stony ground.

Thanks for organising I love this VBB

Mysteriousmummy
Profile Image
Sorry for the delay, I will be choosing;
3. Moon.
Mysteriousmummy

I guess this is mine but I haven't received Mysteriousmummy's address yet. If this really is mine to send, please PM me your address, thanks!
Profile Image
First choice was: "This is where the dragons went." It is Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett I do enjoy Pratchett books. Thanks Alexotanil!!

Second choice was: " I believe in miracles. " It is The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood. Thanks, Catsalive.
Profile Image
"Quentin did a magic trick. Nobody noticed."

This turned out to be "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman. I haven't read it but I surely will since it looks interesting. Thanks BooksnBeer!
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13637003

Edit 10.8.2017

"Tonight we're going to show you eight silent ways to kill a man."

turned out to be Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War", winner of the Hugo Award for best novel of the year - this is an awesome coincidence because the WorldCon75 is now going on here in Finland, and this year's Hugo Awards are announced tomorrow evening. :) Thanks greenbadger for the book and the beautiful postcard!
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13470611
Profile Image
"I need to see you," Phillip said.

Thank you Meekachu07 for Harvest Moon by Robyn Carr!

"Will you dance?"

Thank you sedna5213 for Last Dance in Havana by Rosanna Ley!

Profile Image
This is the situation:

I chose "Rachel was woken by a painting or, rather, by the idea of one."

And instead received the book starting with: "To the public eye, the spouses of well-known are all but invisible, and no one knew that better than Lisey Landon." (I won't give it away).

I wrote a PM to Billbooks about this; but received no answer (I hope everything's Ok with him).

So: What shall I do? Please help!!
Profile Image
Yikes! Billbooks sent you a book that's supposed to still be on the list. The only thing I can think of is to post an ISO in the forums to see if you can raise his attention. And I guess I will remove the sentence of the book you actually received from the list.
Profile Image
This is the situation:

And instead received the book starting with: "To the public eye, the spouses of well-known are all but invisible, and no one knew that better than Lisey Landon." (I won't give it away).

I wrote a PM to Billbooks about this; but received no answer (I hope everything's Ok with him).

Sorry to chip in, I have also PMd collectorkerri, I chose the book you have received from the list a couple of weeks ago (see above!)
Profile Image
This is the situation:

Sorry to chip in, I have also PMd collectorkerri, I chose the book you have received from the list a couple of weeks ago (see above!)
Profile Image
Well, this is quite the mess. Bookworm-lady, maybe you could find it in your budget to send the book to its proper recipient: mysteriousmummy? Please don't feel obligated to do so, though, this really is Biilbooks' problem. As bookworm-lady said, I hope he is OK. I'm really not sure what to do here except leave it to Billbooks to work it out once he returns to BookCrossing.
Profile Image
Well, this is quite the mess. Bookworm-lady, maybe you could find it in your budget to send the book to its proper recipient: mysteriousmummy? Please don't feel obligated to do so, though, this really is Biilbooks' problem. As bookworm-lady said, I hope he is OK. I'm really not sure what to do here except leave it to Billbooks to work it out once he returns to BookCrossing.

No problem, I can send it to mysteriousmummy, and as soon as Bill comes back, we can see about the book I really chose.
I hope this helps.

Edited to say that I have just found a postcard inside the book, saying that Billbooks was about to take an exotic holiday abroad; I'm glad to know this was the reason for his silence. :)
Profile Image

Can I still join in?
Profile Image
Can I still join in?

Sure. I'll put you at the bottom of the list.
Profile Image

My turn

I am taking out three.

I am replacing:

"The ancient Chinese believed time is not a ladder one ascends into the future but a ladder one descends into the past."

"So this, said Kay to herself, is the sort of person you’ve become: a person whose clocks and wrist-watches have stopped and who tells the time, instead, by the particular kind of cripple arriving at her landlord’s door."

"I returned from the City about three o'clock on that May afternoon pretty well disgusted with life."

With:

"Many mornings I awaken thinking how much easier the men have it"

"All good sentences have a kind of energy, wrote Slater Brown in his yellow notebook as he was being pedalled erratically down Market Street."

"They put me into a small, white, still room and that was wrong."

Thank-you Collectorkerri for arranging.
Profile Image
My first choice has arrived; the novel starting with:

"Inishowen", by Joseph O'Connor
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10023162/

I am sure I will enjoy reading it; thanks for the "blackcurrant bracer cordial au cassis" tea bag, lovely postcard and bookmarks. :)

Profile Image

I am sure I will enjoy reading it; thanks for the "blackcurrant bracer cordial au cassis" tea bag, lovely postcard and bookmarks. :)

Now I know why it took such a long time from Germany to Spain. It made its way via New Zealand ;-)
Profile Image

Now I know why it took such a long time from Germany to Spain. It made its way via New Zealand ;-)

Oh, dear me... I'm so sorry! I have already corrected my original post! I guess I need longer holidays!
Thank you sooo much, dear Chawoso, and thanks for being such a sport about it! (Blushing with embarrassment!)
Profile Image
Thanks to bookworm lady for sending on the book I chose - To the public eye, the spouses of well-known are all but invisible, and no one knew that better than Lisey Landon.

It was Lisey's story by Stephen King which is great I love his books and this is one I haven't read.
Profile Image
Thanks to bookworm lady for sending on the book I chose - To the public eye, the spouses of well-known are all but invisible, and no one knew that better than Lisey Landon.

It was Lisey's story by Stephen King which is great I love his books and this is one I haven't read.

That was fast! A very good read indeed, so enjoy!! :)
Profile Image
"I had been sick for a long time."

Thank you catsalive for Oracle Night by Paul Auster!
Profile Image
"Rachel was woken by a painting or, rather, by the idea of one."

Please let me know how to sort this out; thanks!! :)

Edited to say that I have PMed Billbooks again, explaining the situation. Fingers crossed! :)

Nothing yet! :(

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.