Bookray: *Forgotten Bookmarks* - UPDATE

Forum » Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Thank you.

Complete Thread
by Michael Popek. The author's family ran a used bookstore. This book chronicles the sorts of things he found in the many boxes of books that passed through his hands over the years - things that people used as bookmarks. It is a fun read, not spectacular but interesting and beautifully presented.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13391729

The idea for this bookray started in a great thread on the chitchat forum by varykino.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/520029

So far, 14 people have expressed an interest and I think this is great! Please post here and PM me with your location and shipping preferences. It is hardcover but has fewer than 200 pages.

(I may even slip a few bookmarks into the book for the participants to pick from and swap along its journey! ;-)

Thanks! It's been ages since I initiated any bookray or ring. I used to be so addicted to them in my early Bookcrossing years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here we go. If anyone else wants to join, or needs to be moved around, just pm me and I can add or adjust the list, as needed. ** PLEASE CHECK THE MOST CURRENT LIST AT THE ACTUAL BOOK LINK**. I am updating this list here so it is current as of Nov. 1 but because I neglected to do so earlier, one person missed out who had wanted to be part of it. I felt badly but hopefully, this won't happen again

1 - Bookgirrl and DonFiction - Canada
2 - 6of8 - Maryland, USA
3- Bibliotreker - Pennsylvania, USA
4 - Southernfryed - South Carolina, USA
5 - katiesmama - Florida, USA
6 - Dove-i-libri - Florida, USA
7 - FancyHorse - Alabama, USA
8 - MyssCyn - Texas, USA
9 - faramir10 - Texas, USA
10 - Readertoo - Texas, USA
11 - minesayn - Ohio, USA
12- tabby-cat-owner - Arizona, USA (will ship internationally) - -on its way to ->

13 - hesiodo66 - Argentina (will ship internationally)
14 - Bookworm-lady - Madrid, Spain
15 - MargaridaPires - Portugal
16 - Lizzy-stardust - England
17 - mysteriousmummy - England
18 - Icila - France
19 - rodespringbal - Belgium
20 - dutch-book - The Netherlands
21 - Boekentrol - The Netherlands

Sending PM.

Gotcha, MyssCyn. Thanks. I'll wait till the end of the weekend and then see how many takers I have. Whatever the number, 3, possibly 4, so far, seems good enough to me to get it going anyhow. It's easy enough to just add as others jump in.

Watch this space!

faramir10 4 yrs ago

Include me too. PMing you.

Adding you, too! Thanks

Added you, thanks!

I'd love to be in this ray. Thank you!

Added you, too. Thanks!

Anyone fond of used or second-hand books (like I am) could tell you the amazing things they have found over the years... Only yesterday I found two leaflets for sexual advice by a religious group in Walnut Creek, U.S.A.... amazing for a book purchased in a used furniture shop in Madrid!
Please count me in; I am in Spain, and can ship anywhere...
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, I've added you. And yes, thanks to you and another who has joined, I am going to add that idea: when participants do their journal entry notes, I am going to suggest adding some of your own best *finds* stories! And also, for fun, I will add an envelope at the end of the book for people to add some bookmarks if they want, and to help themselves to take some; a kind of bookmark exchange! This is turning out to be more fun than I had imagined. I finished the book last night so hopefully it can get moving sooner rather than later.

This sounds quite interesting. I will ship international.

Thanks, added you, too!

if possible EU sending but will ship intl if not.

Yes! I do have one other in Europe (Spain) and so far one from USA who is willing to post internationally, so that will work out nicely. Welcome!. I hope to post the participant list in this thread by tomorrow

wing6of8wing 4 yrs ago
Count me in
I have been wanting to read this book for a long time.

Count yourself counted! I have added you. I am also trying to persuade SqueakyChu to join, as well. Can I count on you to help me..? ;-) (I posted this to her via Library Thing)

I'm very interested.
In France, I can mail anywhere.

Thanks, I've added you

but have not decided yet. Could you please tell me what this book weighs?
On Amazon I found that it's 13.6 ounces, which I fibd quite heavy for less than 200 pages.

I don't actually know as I haven't taken it to the post office yet. That's a good point, though. I will find out and post my reply here, hopefully today, if I get to the post office, or tomorrow.

I know postage rates can be prohibitive. Canada's are horrible and probably the main reason I stopped doing bookrings and rays years ago. This is my first in ages. It's a pity, really.

I will get back to you with the answer once I find out

I will get back to you with the answer once I find out

Thank you :-) Postage has gone up here and rates are crazy now. But.... every now and then I still join a ring or ray.

Ok, here is what I found out: I brought the book, in an envelope, to be weighed at the post office. It weighed in at 436 grams, or just under a pound. Here is my idea for you. I can put you at the end of the list for the Europeans (there are 4: Spain, France, Belgium and you). If you can find someone else in your area who is interested, maybe you can hand it off to them. Or, the ray can just end with you and you are free to do with it what you please. I don't want it back, that's why I am making it a ray and not a ring. I am about to update this thread with the participant list. I will add you, and if you change your mind, just let me know and I can adjust it. How does that sound?

Here is my idea for you. I can put you at the end of the list for the Europeans (there are 4: Spain, France, Belgium and you). If you can find someone else in your area who is interested, maybe you can hand it off to them. Or, the ray can just end with you and you are free to do with it what you please. I don't want it back, that's why I am making it a ray and not a ring. I am about to update this thread with the participant list. I will add you, and if you change your mind, just let me know and I can adjust it. How does that sound?

That sounds wonderful! Thank you for being so kind. If there are more participants, I don't mind tumbeling down more. After I've read it, I'll check if there's someone in my country who wants it. Handing it over is one option, but there are usually quite a few people with non-Dutch roots at our annual meeting, so it might go on another journey when I take it with me and release it there.

To cut a long story short: yes please!! :-)

We are having a mini-meetup here in Toronto next Monday, a week from today, to celebrate Azuki's visit to our city from her home in Florida. Bookgirrl will be there so I will give it to her then and that will officially launch this bookray on its way. I expect that it will be on its way to the States shortly after that.

Thanks, everyone who joined!

I will PM you as well. I live in Alabama, USA, prefer to mail within the USA but will mail internationally if necessary.

Thanks for starting this!

Adding you. I am about to update with the sipping list

I'm in the Netherlands and I thought I could send to Boekentrol or the other way around?

Sure, I will add you in. Thanks

and is ready to travel again

next up in my TBR pile

hesiodo66 4 yrs ago
Me
I am interested too...

jessibud 4 yrs ago
RE: Me
Thanks, I will add you in. Welcome!

I am interested in joining though I prefer to post in the U.S. only. I am in Texas.

Added you, thanks for joining

I will PM FancyHorse and have this back on its journey this weekend. It's a wonderful book. Thank you, Jessibud for starting this.

Thank you.

Added you too! Thanks for joining

So I'll hand this off to her in person, along with FancyHorse's address.

It was so much fun to meet a fellow bookcrosser in person! Dove-I-libri has Forgotten Bookmarks along with Fancy Horse's address. I really do love this book. I'll be keeping an eye open for my own copy.

I prefer UK or EU shipping please.

jessibud 4 yrs ago
You're in!
I slid you in at spot #14 (see list in first post in this thread.) Thanks for joining!

they rec'd it on Aug. 13th (today!) It's moving along!

wingBookworm-ladywing 4 yrs ago
Bump!
Bump again! :)

Oops. I didn't post here. Book was mailed to farimir10. She should have it by tomorrow. I'll check the tracking if not. Just checked and another book I mailed that day has not arrived yet either.

I have received the book yesterday.

Good-bye North America, Hello South America.

So exciting that it's beginning its intn'l travels!!!! I'll be watching for all the new JE's over the months to come.

Hi

Is it still possible to join this Ray it's sounds a lovely book.

Thanks

Just pm'd you. Thanks for joining

Ok, I've added you after Spain. Hope that is ok. Thanks for joining

It's ok :-)

Interesting to learn how long the journey will take from the US to Argentina. It is around 2 months now.

Bump!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.