[US] shrinking yaoi manga bookbox: DONE!

Forum » Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
I have a number of yaoi manga on hand, ranging from mild and lighthearted to quite explicit, and since it can be a challenge wild-releasing the latter I thought I'd offer a bookbox.

I prefer physical bookboxes, despite the risk of their going missing at some point, because it's fun sorting through actual books, but if people would prefer a virtual bookbox I can give that a try. [UPDATE: so far the voting is in favor of a physical box, so that's what I'm planning. And as I have so many books on hand, I want to make it a "shrinking" box (pause for "shrinkage"-related humor, given the theme of the box!). Depending on how many participants we wind up with, I'll allow up to 4 bonus books per person. You don't *have* to take advantage of this option if you don't want to, but I really would like to end up with fewer books than I'm starting with!]

If interested, please reply here, including any preferences you have regarding type of box, mailing restrictions, list order, etc.

I've designated one of my favorite yaoi books as the bookbox journal, in hopes that people will be able to read it and replace it in the box for each hop (or just leave it in the box if it doesn't interest them). I've posted the mailing order, bookbox rules, and the box's initial contents in the JEs of that book; see it here:

Your Love Sickness ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8366222 )

Bumping for anyone just checking in after the weekend - any interest? (See parent message for more.)

HI77 4 yrs ago
:)

I'd participate! :)

I like physical book boxes. And it would have to be US only for me on shipping.

I'm in! I prefer physical bookboxes too and US-only.

However, I have gallbladder surgery on 6/10 and I'm not sure what my recovery time is going to be. I've got several handfuls of books that would work for this on Mt. TBR (and I just bought one I've already read at a library book sale a couple weeks ago in hopes of a future bookbox!) and this really would be a great excuse to read more of them. I'd love to be included, but if I could be near the end of the list that would be most appreciated. If that doesn't work (if the box is going out immediately and it's just a few of us) then I'd asked to be skipped this time around because I'm just not sure if I'll be upright and able to lift a box until late June.

Eep! Good vibes coming your way for the surgery and recovery! And no worries re the mailing order; I can work it out one way or another.

It's now late June! How'd your surgery go?

Thanks for asking :-) Surgery went well... and I read 6 yaoi manga during recovery! I'm nearly able to walk/move like a normal person now. And the pain I was having is pretty much gone. So I'm calling it a win.

Keitorin 4 yrs ago
Hi!
Thanks for contacting me, I'd love to join! :D I have some yaoi manga I've already read and have been wanting to pass on for a while, so this is a good opportunity.

To clarify, manga only, no novels? I still have The Aristocrat and Desert Prince. c:

-Psychical book box
-US only

wingGoryDetailswing 4 yrs ago
RE: Hi!
I prefer manga, but the occasional light novel would be OK with me. Anyone else have a preference one way or the other?

I prefer manga, but the occasional light novel would be OK with me. Anyone else have a preference one way or the other?

I feel likewise. I love manga, but I don't mind the novels.

HI77 4 yrs ago
RE: Hi!
To clarify, manga only, no novels? I still have The Aristocrat and Desert Prince. c:

I don't see a problem with yaoi novels. Those are fun too! ;)

but I don't think I have enough Yaoi to trade so I will pass.
Thanks for telling me about it, Gory.

but I don't think I have enough Yaoi to trade so I will pass.

If it helps, I'm thinking of making it a shrinking box; I have more than enough books to allow people to take an extra 1, 2, or maybe 3 books over and above what they replace.

i'm interested. virtual or physical is fine w/ me. NA shipping preferred. thanks for organizing!

Thanks for notifying me!

Since there's enough interest now, I'll get my books ready to go; may take a week or so to finish reading-and-reviewing all the ones I want to include. Will set the mailing order and post the initial offerings then.

This will be a physical box, US-mailing only, with a shrinking option that I'll specify when it's ready to go, depending on total participants at that time. [Still open to new participants, so feel free to sign up if you're interested, and if you have suitable books on hand!]

Update: I had more books than I thought I did, so it's taking me a bit longer to decide how many to send. At the moment it looks like the box will start with around 40 books, and if we go with the existing participants I'll offer a shrinkage-value of 4 - that is, each participant can take out up to four more books than they put in. This should still leave a good selection for the last in line.

Additional participants are welcome. (If we get two or more additional participants I'll cut the shrinkage-factor back to 3.) Hope to announce the starting list and get the box moving by early next week.

Yes, count me in as a participant in your actual yaoi bookbox (a real box with real books in it)! I have some extra yaoi myself and I'll be glad to share!

At least, it can start if somebody's willing to be first {wry grin}. I've designated one of my favorite yaoi books as the bookbox journal, in hopes that people will be able to read it and replace it in the box for each hop (or just leave it in the box if it doesn't interest them). I've posted the mailing order, bookbox rules, and the box's initial contents in the JEs of that book; see it here:

Your Love Sickness ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8366222 )

I'll post the rules here as well, just to be clear; they're pretty much standard but it doesn't hurt to make sure everyone's on the same page.

Bookbox rules:

When you receive the box, post a JE to the bookbox journal (and to this forum thread, if you like), and contact the next person in line for their address - this gives them a heads-up, and ensures that you'll be ready to mail the box as soon as you've made your choices.

If you want to read the journal-book Your Love Sickness, start it right away; ideally you'll move the box along within a week or two, and you should be able to read the book before then. (If you want to read other books and replace them, that's fine, as long as you can do it without delaying the bookbox-mailing. And if you find books you've already read, you're welcome to add your comments before sending them along.)

Choose the books you want to take out, replacing them with BC-registered yaoi manga of your own. NOTE: This is a shrinking box, so you can take out up to four (4) more books than you put in; if you add 1 you can take up to 5, if you add 10 you can take up to 14, etc. I encourage everyone to take full advantage of this option! (Yes, it's OK to take out 4 books and not put any in, but it's more fun if you add some books to the mix.)

Journal the books you've taken, so we know where they are. Use the controlled-release option to make release notes for the ones you're adding. If you choose to read the bookbox-journal book, you can add your comments on it to your JE - and can add a list of the books you're taking and adding, as well.

Pack up the box - including the bookbox journal - and mail to the next in line. Media-mail rates are quite reasonable, and will get more so if people use the shrinking option, which could knock a couple of pounds off the mailing weight each hop {wry grin}. I advise getting package tracking as well; this won't guarantee that the box will travel safely, but it does make it easier to work out how far it got if anything goes wrong.

Finally, enjoy the books you've taken out, and look forward to JEs on the ones you've added!

Starting weight about 23 pounds, media-mail postage $13, plus tracking; estimated arrival, July 3, which would be excellent for a package of this size.

There's a list of the starting contents in the designated bookbox journal ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8366222 ) - or you can wait and be surprised.

Here's hoping the box travels safely, and that everyone enjoys the selection!

Tracking #: VF019837113US

looks great! just as well as i don't have first pick. would've probably wanted to take too many. ;)

The box made it to its first stop and is moving on. I can still add participants, so if you're interested and have some suitable books registered, let me know!

Oh, and thanks to Keitorin for all the wonderful JEs; I'm delighted to see someone who writes more in-depth reviews than I do! {grin}

got this yesterday. should be able to pass it along in a week or so. thanks!

sorry for the delay. sent this today and the tracking # is 9114901159818251096242.

it turns out i have a lot more yaoi ready to pass along than i had thought, so i'd def. be interested in a second round. thanks for organizing!

it turns out i have a lot more yaoi ready to pass along than i had thought, so i'd def. be interested in a second round.

Heh! I used up most of mine filling the box, so I don't have enough for another one. But if you want to start another round, go right ahead!

I'd like to see Spacedog's second box of yaoi, too.

HI77 4 yrs ago
:D

The box is here! It looks great! :D

HI77 4 yrs ago
:O

Wow, that took me way to long to get sort, organized and on its way again!

But it went out yesterday! And it should be hopefully be to the next person soon!

Here's the tracking: 9114 9011 5981 8475 0427 28

The box is here! So much from which to choose! Thanks!

I have the yaoi book box now. It's probably going to sit on my living rm. floor for a few days, then on my kitchen counter for a few days. Then I'm probably going to driver around with it in the trunk of my car for a few days before I send it along. But I think it goes back to Gory Details now, so I'll have to request her address.

I'm posting this journal entry here because for some reason the site isn't letting me post to the more detailed journal. After a week or so of consideration, I've decided just to participate in the shrinking option, and save the yaoi graphic novels I have to give away for the next time. (Maybe even start my own box?)
Understand about half of what's in the box I already have, and about half of what's leftover is not high on my list of reading priorities. However, I'm glad to have the selection just the same, and I did find four books I'm very glad to have:
1. "Shout Out Loud!," vol. 1
2. "Exorcisms and Pogo Sticks," vol. 2 (I'm especially glad for this one because I helped myself to vol. 1 in the last book box, so now I've got the set)
3. "Solfege," a one-off by superstar Fum Yoshinaga,
4. "Love Circles," by Laura Carboni, a Yaoi Press publication.
I didn't read the "Your Love Sickness" manga as I'm not into fox spirits and I'm still trying to work my way through the "Black Butler" series.
So now I shall close up the box and send it back around to Gory Details in another day or two. Thanks for letting me participate! Let's do it again soon!

The bookbox reached me safely on this blustery day; many thanks to everyone! I hope you all enjoy your selections, and I'm looking forward to reading the new-to-me books that came back in the box. [This is why I love bookboxes so much - it's like Christmas. OK, make that yaoi Christmas! {grin}]

If someone else would like to start another yaoi box, I'd be up for it. And if not, I may get around to starting one myself down the road a bit.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.