[CLOSED] European Non-Fiction VBB (Spring 2013 Round)

Forum » Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Time for another round of the Non-Fiction Virtual Book Box :)
It's open to anyone with a European mailing address....

A VBB, in case any one doesn't know, is a 'Virtual BookBox'. It works in a similar manner to a normal bookbox, except without the actual box :D
I will send a list of available books to the first participant, they will select which books they want and replace the same number, and pass the list back to me. I will pass that new version of the list onto the next participant, and so on
Every book in the list has the name of the bookcrosser who currently has it, so you just PM that person your address and you will get your book in the post. :)
It means the 'box' can contain as many books as we want, because we are not restricted by the cost of posting a box around. Also, you control the number and size of the books you need to post out, by only putting into the box what you can post.

This VBB is themed; Non-Fiction. that makes the contents pretty varied! All kinds of Non fiction; travel writing, biography, science, journalism, history....
the only things to avoid are 'misery memoirs', children's fact - type books and travel guides (just becasue the appeal of these is more limited - better to offer them for RABCK or trade I think)
I will post up a list of the current contents in the next few days, to give you an idea - I'm seeding this round from my on shelf and with the remains of the last round (hopefully! I'll be PMing past participants to check if books are still available).

Once your turn comes, adding books from your TBR is fine - so long as you can have them on their way in a reasonable time frame. It is also fine to add books that you took out last round - maybe other people would like them too!
You can take as many as you want - just so long as you put at least as many back in!
It is a Europe wide VBB, so you may need to post your books anywhere within the continent - consider that when you submit books and choose accordingly (if you can't afford to post that massive hardback, don't add it)

the list is moving but still open to new sign ups

participants:
Lamilla
garibaldisghost
okyrhoe
icila
bloedengel
esme-weatherwax
bookworm-lady
leamhliom
carmendoran
hayes13 (somewhere in the middle. Or maybe near the end.)
tubereader (seems to be MIA, so skipped for now)
vedranaster
Lintulai
DubaiReader <-- list here
starflash

wingHayes13wing 7 yrs ago
I'm good...
somewhere in the middle is fine.

Thanks for organizing, V.

wingIcilawing 7 yrs ago
Of course ! :)

bloedengel 7 yrs ago
yep
this is a nice way to get some non fiction moving :)

Vekiki 7 yrs ago
Box Contents
this is subject to change, of course, and I haven't heard back from all the last reounds participants about using there books to seed yet - but just to give you a flavour of teh content, here's the current box contents:

- In the Vine Country; Summerville & Ross
- Stiff, The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers; Mary Roach
- Me 2.0, Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success; Dan Schwabel
- Can Jane Eyre Be Happy? More Puzzles in Classic Fiction; John Sutherland
- Where was Rebecca Shot? Puzzles, curiosities and conundrums in modern fiction; John Sutherland
- The Fry Chronicles; Stephen Fry
- Freaks and Fire, the underground reinvention of circus; J. Dee Hill Phil Hollenbeck
- The Last Days of Detroit, Motor Cars, Motown and the Collapse of an Industrial Giant ; Mark Binelli
- A Little Knowledge, A World of Ideas from Archimedes to Einstein Clearly Explained; Michael Macrone
- Thinking in Numbers, How Maths Illuminates Our Lives; Daniel Tammet
- I Rest My Case, Unpublished Letters to the Daily Telegraph; Iain Hollingshead
- Reading "Lolita" in Tehran, A Memoir in Books; Azar Nafisi
- Gather Together in My Name; Maya Angelou
- Stuart, A Life Backwards; Alexander Masters
- The Lady Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel Laureate and Burma's Prisoner; Barbara Victor
- Gomorrah, Italy's Other Mafia; Roberto Saviano
- My Feudal Lord; Tehmina Durrani

So there is quite a mix :)

I would like to join as well. I missed the last one and would like to get in on this one.

I figured I should get this moving, so the list is with the first participant.

Still open to new sign ups

I have spotted a couple of books I'd like to read, so maybe I will be lucky when the list comes round to me. :)
Thanks for setting this up!

Please can you also add me?

One of Vekiki's books:

Reading "Lolita" in Tehran; Azar Nafisi http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6009343/

I'll replace it with:

The Best of Enemies: England v Germany : David Dowining http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9671098/

If still possible :-)

Thanks!

carmendoran 6 yrs ago
Me too!
Sounds like an interesting way to read things that I may not've normally read....

I've been a bit slack about moving this on, the list was returned to me a week ago and I've only just got it to the next person - Sorry!!

If you notice any problems with links or typos in the list, please do let me know so I can correct them :)

I take :

-The Street Where I Live by Alan Jay Lerner - http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11492985/ (Lamilla TBR)
-- Gather Together in My Name; Maya Angelou http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10521346
(Hayes13 TBR)

And I put :
-Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7814702
-Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6644932

Got your PM. Will put the book into the mail sometime next week, Tuesday probably. I read it earlier this year, so it is AVL.

I take :
-The Street Where I Live by Alan Jay Lerner - http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11492985/ (Lamilla TBR)

The book has been posted today!

I received both Annimanni's and garibaldisghost's books this week, thank you!

Thanks.

meaning I received all books for this VBB. Thank you so much!

yay! I'm surprised it took so long, I was starting to worry about it

Ok I made my choices sorry it took a bit longer then I thought it was very hard to choose.

Esme, your current profile pic made me smile. George Takei, or some other source? :)

Esme, your current profile pic made me smile. George Takei, or some other source? :)

George Takei of course :-) OHHMYY

vedranaster 6 yrs ago
Okay...
After resisting for a while, I'll jump in again, too!
Please, kind Vekiki, sign me up! :D

I've started reading one non-fic book a while back, but got "disrupted" by a ring. Now I'm almost done with that one so I will hopefully finish the non-fic in a few weeks' time.

Vekiki 6 yrs ago
RE: Okay...

Resistance is futile. Mwahahaha

It may be, but I still don't see my name on the list.
Maybe The Force is working with my best interest at heart, keeping me off the list? ;)

Ouch, what a weird reference combo.
Instant reminder of the Picard meme that's been making the rounds on the internet:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/bw95hmf

It may be, but I still don't see my name on the list.
Maybe The Force is working with my best interest at heart, keeping me off the list? ;)

Oh dear, sorry (I must have not saved after I edited...)

Oh dear, sorry (I must have not saved after I edited...)

No worries. :)

Thanks for sending it, Vekiki; I will soon make my choices and let you know which books I am offering. An impressive selection!! :)

...as well as the books I offer.
I will PM the books' owners now.
Thanks for hosting, this will give me the chance to read some books I'm really interested in! :)

the VBB is looking pretty good, lots of diverse stuff in there - I hope everyone is enjoying it.

I just wanted to add a note to clarify that it is really intended to contain the sort of book that would be read cover to cover and passed on - so not really encyclopaedias / recipe books or the sort of thing that is more reference material to keep on your shelf and dip in and out of.
i hope that's ok with everyone :)

If you all do generally want those sort of things included, well, I'll eat my words and we can throw those in too. But they sort of have a different feel from how this VBB has shaped up until now

the VBB is looking pretty good, lots of diverse stuff in there - I hope everyone is enjoying it.

I just wanted to add a note to clarify that it is really intended to contain the sort of book that would be read cover to cover and passed on - so not really encyclopaedias / recipe books or the sort of thing that is more reference material to keep on your shelf and dip in and out of.

If you all do generally want those sort of things included, well, I'll eat my words and we can throw those in too. But they sort of have a different feel from how this VBB has shaped up until now

Maybe for the next round for those type of books can be fun as well, but that is just my thoughts

I completly agree with you.

I don't mind if they are included, but I most likely won't pick any such book.
I am after the books to read from cover to cover, too. :)

I agree with you all. I personally don't really want to see cook books or reference books, maybe someone could set up another vbb for those. I really like the choice of books in this vbb, they are right up my street. I've been reading some really interesting books as a result of this vbb (including my own!) so well done vekiki for organising this.

I'm almost out of hibernation - a few more days and I'm free from any obligatory school work! Please count me in, preferably to the end of the list :)

Thanks Vekiki again for organizing this, I'm glad these are still rolling because I had to pass on so many!

I will send from Dubai but can receive in UK.
Hopefully that will not be a problem for anyone?
Thanks.

I will send from Dubai but can receive in UK.
Hopefully that will not be a problem for anyone?
Thanks.

as long as YOU don't mind sending to europe, and you're not expecting anyone else to post outside of europe, then that's fine :D

can you add me please? I have lots of these in my TBR. Do we send you all the books in the 'box' at the end?

I have lots of these in my TBR. Do we send you all the books in the 'box' at the end?

no :)
when you're turn comes, I'll PM you a list of what's in the 'box'. Each book will have the name of the BCer who currently has it next to it. So you'll choose what books you want and what books you'll add in - PM me all that info so I can update the list. also Pm the people who currently have the books you want, let them know you're address and they should send the books next time they go to the post office. Then I will move the list to the next person... and somewhere down the line you;ll get a PM saying 'hey, I took your book, my address is...' and you post the book straight to them. You should aim to post them out soon after getting an address - the same as you would if you were doing a trade or RABCK. If you haven't read the book yet, that's ok* but try to get in read and posted within a couple of weeks or at most a month
*if you could let me know that a book is TBR when you add it to the list, I will note that next to the book on the list - that way whoever chooses it knows not to expect it straight away

Any books that don't get chosen this round should role over to start the list for the next round, so keep hold of them til then

Thanks a lot for "Men are from Mars..." and "The Vanished Years", and the lovely "Summer Evening in the Thames" postcard.
Looking forward to reading them! :)

Thanks for "Doing our Own Thing"; it has survived the journey, and will be treated with great care.
Thanks for your comments on reading it... I'll see whether I agree or not with the writer. :)

Vekiki 6 yrs ago
Tubereader?
I sent the list to tubereader a couple of weeks ago, but I havem;t heard from her. I'm PMing again, and if I still don't hear in the next couple of days I'll move th list on. She can always tack onto the end of the list if she reappears....

In the meanwhile, tubereader, if your not getting my PMs (or I'm not getting yours) - you can email me; vikki at bookcrossing dot com

A lovely list... Now I have to pick one or two favourites. :)
Will do so this weekend and promptly return the list so it can move on.
Thanks, Vekiki! :D

...two books from Leahmliom yesterday, "It's Only a Movie" and "Thinking Fast and Slow".
Thanks for taking the time to write a lovely note, and for sharing your books...
Looking forward to reading them all! :)

The book for Lintulai went in the mail today.

"The Fry Chronicles". Thanks for sending, Vekiki! :D
It will most likely return into the VBB with the next round.

wingAnnimanniwing 6 yrs ago
Mixup
It seems there's been a mixup of some sort. I've received two requests for the same book, first by Lintulai and then by DubaiReader.

Vekiki 6 yrs ago
RE: Mixup
It seems there's been a mixup of some sort. I've received two requests for the same book, first by Lintulai and then by DubaiReader.

Oh dear. I'm sorry, that will be a mistake on my part. Ok, send the book to lintuali, since see was first and her books are already in the list. I'll contact dubai reader when i get home to explain and apologise and sort it out

If Dubaireader wants to, I can send the book forward to them once I've read it, no problem!

I received the Stephen King book from Lamilla today.

Thanks for organizing this ring again :)

Lintulai 6 yrs ago
More books
Rogue States by Noam Chomsky and Unweaving the Rainbow by Richard Dawkins arrived from Leamhliom today.

I'm having a hard time deciding between reading and knitting - now that I'm done with my studies I can do whatever I want, and still there are not enough hours in a day!

We're all done so i've closed this round. i'll start another in the autumn :)

what happens with the books left in the box now?

what happens with the books left in the box now?

Ideally people will hold onto them to roll over to the next round - it really helps, since otherwise the list is entirely seeded by me :-)
I will contact people with books still in just before the next round starts to remind them what's there and check that's still ok with them.

How great that you're willing to organize a new VBB! It's been great so far :) Thank you very much, Vekiki! Or kiitos, as we say in Finland.

I received my final requested book from Annimanni today, so now I'm waiting for the next round :)

Thanks so much for this vbb vekiki, there is a great selection of books. I am already gathering more books for the next round ( evil grin.....)

I received The Men Who Stare At Goats today, thank you xx

reading for the next round. Huggs Vekiki for organising this xx

I'm not sure if you're getting my PMs, so I'll post here, too, just in case you drop by.

Please, send me your regular address, as I wasn't able to send the book you chose in the given time frame so that it would make it to you while you were in the UK. Thanks! :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.