The box would contain books (novels, short story collections, memoirs, travel writing) by African writers and/or about Africa, written in or translated into English. I.e. books by authors who were born in Africa or who are of African descent even if they don't live there anymore, and also books about Africa by people who were born elsewhere but have lived in Africa for an extended period and write about Africa from an insider's perspective.
Would anyone be interested? It would most likely start sometime in December in order for me to get a few books read first :)
This is how it would work (I've more or less copied these rules from the fabulous ApoloniaX, hope you don't mind!):
- I'll start off with a list of 10 of my own books.
- You'll receive the list by PM from me – as PM's sometimes don’t arrive please confirm receipt.
- Make your selection(s) and request the books from their owner(s), including your name & address. Please also report your selections and replacements in this thread.
- Replace the books with the same number of your own ones (they must be registered on your bookshelf).
- PM me with the titles and authors of the books you are putting into the box.
- The owner(s) of your chosen books will send them to you at their earliest convenience.
- Please make your choices within a few days. Pick the books you are offering and PM me – I will PM you again if I haven’t heard from you after 2 or 3 days. If there is no response after a week I will PM the list to the next person.
- There should always be 10 books listed.
- When somebody asks you for a book that you have put on the list, please send it off ASAP. This will most likely be international (but sending by surface mail is perfectly alright). Please make proper release notes.
- Please don’t add another copy of a book that’s already on the list.
- I update the list and PM it to the next person.
- At the end, the remaining 10 books will come to me, as I have started the VBB by “donating” 10 books.
- Adding your TBR books is no problem. When you tell me which books you put on the list, please add "TBR" for books that won't be sent off right after they are requested but only after you read them (which shouldn't take more than a few weeks).
London-Shade (decided to drop out)
j4shaw (no response)