Are you willing to ship international?
Then maybe you’d like to take part in this new virtual book box which is a product of an intercultural exchange between a Greek and a German BookCrosser ;-) contraforsa and ApoloniaX.
How it works:
This is a book box that deals with interculturalism. It’s all about books that are about contacts between different cultures, about culture conflict, cross-culture experiences, migration, inter-cultural communication – we concentrate on fiction, but there might also be a travelogue account or semi- or autobiographical novels.
There are 12 books in the virtual book box. No titles or authors are given, but the countries that the book deals with.
EDIT: For some countries there might be lots and lots of books, you might have read some already - so we decided on adding some more information: The first and the last letter of the book's title (only the main title, in case there is a subtitle).
For example: “Black Orchids” by Gillian Slovo (who is South African) is about a young English woman who marries a Sinhalese, part of the book is set in Sri Lanka, part in the UK. That is: Sri Lanka & UK - "B---s".
Or “A Chameleon’s Tale. True Stories of a Global Refugee” by Mo Tejani would be just perfect: Thailand & Mexico & Nepal & Uganda & … - "A---e"
Kate Grenville’s “Secret River” would be: UK & Australia - "S---r"
We will start by adding 12 books to the box, i.e. a list, which looks like this: (just examples)
Sri Lanka & UK (ApoloniaX) - "B---s"
Greece & Italy & Sweden (contraforsa) - "T---e"
Mexico & UK (ApoloniaX) - "C---r"
USA & Poland (contraforsa) - "T---s"
Germany & India (ApoloniaX) - "A---n"
- The list will be PMed to the first person. (No authors or titles given)
- He/she chooses 1 to 3 books and PMs the owner(s) with his/her address.
- He/she then replaces the chosen books with her/his own – naming the countries, title's first & last letter, and adding his/her screen name, and
- PMs the updated list to the next person, and
- posts here which “country-combination” he/she has chosen.
- The owner(s) of the chosen books send them off to the first person.
- When a book arrives please update here – we’d all like to hear about this, of course - tell us what books you got! And don’t forget to journal them.
Please be quick to make your choices, replace the books and PM the list to the next person – a week or two maximum.
There should always be 12 books listed.
When somebody asks you for a book that you have put on the list, please send it off ASAP, this might be international (but sending it by surface mail is perfectly alright).
Maximum a dozen participants (including us). When the virtual book box comes back to us we will take part as everybody else (that’s what we are waiting for!!!) and then send it off to another round. We will ask you first if you want to participate another time.
Round 2 is here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6359624