think of the sources of where one might be exposed to new material & tell me which one(s are) more appealing:
- recommended from a friend?
- on Oprah's list?
- hyped by expensive marketing?
- being forced to read it for class?
- on someone's bookshelf?
- given as a gift?
- on a remaindered table?
- sitting at the library?
- full price at select bookstores?
- sitting on a parkbench, begging you to take it for free?
the amount of nagging and despair i have to endure from my minimalist friend at my buying two or even 3 copies of books i like & think others should enjoy is proof postive, if anectodally, at how much currency a good book gets, and how this can create even better $currency$ ;-) for an author's work.
how many times does a single book, once sold, generate further profits for an author or a publisher each time it exchanges additional hands? yes, exactly, thank you.