we are still in the hot summer-time but autumn and the dark season are coming soon ....
"Samhain" is a Gaelic festival held on October 31–November 1 in medieval Ireland, Scotland ("Samhainn") and Wales ("Nos Galan Gaeaf and Calan Gaeaf"). It was linked to festivals held around the same time in other Celtic cultures, and was popularised as the "Celtic New Year" from the late 19th century. It is seen as a festival of darkness, which is balanced at the opposite point of the wheel by the spring festival of "Beltane", celebrated as a festival of light and fertility. The medieval Celtic festival of "Samhain" marked the end of the harvest, the end of the "lighter half" of the year and beginning of the "darker half". Bonfires played a large part in the festivities. The festival was also an ideal date for tribal assemblies, where the local kings gathered their people. These gatherings in turn are a popular setting for early Irish tales.
"Samhain" is also celebrated as a religious festival by some people (evening before All Saints Day) in these regions.
Over time, the night of 31 October came to be called “All Hallows' Eve”. So Samhain is the historical origin of "Halloween".
If you are interested in an exchange which has to do with that sort of medieval halloween festival feel free to take part in it.
And here we go again:
I will draw names and you will send your secret person a "Samhain parcel". Include a book (of course) of your choice and some TREAT, anything, seasonal, or related to autumn or that festival, traditions, regions or themes (Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales or other regions where similar festivals are held, the Celtic culture, fairies and tales, calendar, harvest, dark & light, celtic or irish music ….). You can also include ideas which have to do with "Saints" or “autumn” for that season. It doesn't have to be anything big ... sweets, cards, decorations, calendars, self-made cd`s, hand-made stuff/things, whatever ... use your imagination, be creative!
(1) Post here by October 2nd if interested.
(2) PM your address and shipping preference to me. This is international, but I understand needing to mail cheaply. If you need to stay with a certain country or whatever, just let me know. Also, send me your MAILING ADDRESS, even if you have sent it to me for other exchanges ....
(3)PLEASE PUT “SAMHAIN MEDIEVAL EXCHANGE 2020” IN THE SUBJECT OF YOUR PM.
(4) I will draw soon after October 3rd. The person who has your name will most likely be different from the person who you have.
(5) Post here when you get your parcel and let us know what you have received, post here even if you don't plan to open it right away. That way your partner knows their parcel arrived safe and sound.
(6) ALL serious bookcrossers who plan to keep their commitments can join. If there's a problem, please feel free to let me know so that I or another participant can help. We'll work something out.
(7) Please mail your parcel by October 15th, ASAP, or sooner if your parcel has a long way to travel. They should arrive by November 1st.
Thanks to all who have made these exchanges so fun!
Okay everyone! Come join the fun!!!
Abi-Gibby (UK) - sent and received
Poodlesister - sent and received
Mankyi (UK/EU) - sent and received
Bookworm-lady (intl) - sent and received
Dolph1n (UK) - sent and received
Palwasha (intl) - sent and received
Yogiberri (UK) - sent and received
Claudia_amorim (Europe) - received
Arvores (Europe) - sent and received
Poppywalker (Intl) - sent and received
redfox5 (UK) - sent and received
MiuM (Europe) - sent and received
herchelle - sent and received