CLOSED--Celestial Sweepstakes

Forum » (Not-So-) Random Acts of BookCrossing Kindness | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
A sweepstake with a CELESTIAL theme... I was the winner of the last sweepstakes.... and how time has flown!!! It's been 4 mos already so I'm a bit behind, Sorry! We are coming up on the holiday season, so I hope we can get this going, if not I'll have to push to 2018... yikes.

What is considered Celestial? Anything up in the heavens. Stars, moon, sun, etc.
I'm going to "add twist" with this Word Origin and History for celestial:

(adj.) late 14c., "pertaining to heaven," from Old French celestial "celestial, heavenly, sky-blue," from Latin caelestis "heavenly, pertaining to the sky," from caelum "heaven, sky; abode of the gods; climate," of uncertain origin; perhaps from PIE *kaid-slo-, perhaps from a root also found in Germanic and Baltic meaning "bright, clear" (cf. Lithuanian skaidrus "shining, clear;" Old English hador, German heiter "clear, shining, cloudless," Old Norse heið "clear sky").

The Latin word is the source of the usual word for "sky" in most of the Romance languages, e.g. French ciel, Spanish cielo, Italian cielo. General sense of "heavenly, very delightful" in English is from early 15c.

Hope that helps with the "definition"

1. Post here to enter & be prepared to post anywhere in the world, as this is an International sweeps.
2. PM me with your name and postal address. You can also put your name down as 'send only' if you don't want to win.
3. The draw will close on ......??? Let's shoot for December 31st. That'll give everybody a few weeks to sign on for the fun.

We will then have 1 winner and 1 decoy. Everyone will receive a PM with the winner's details while the winner will receive the name of the decoy.
Be prepared to send your book shortly there-after.

4. Please DON'T let the winner know that they have won by posting here or PMing them. It is more fun for the books to start arriving out of the blue!

5. The winner will post here as the books start to arrive. It is fun for everyone to see what they got!

6. The winner will host the sweepstakes again in next 2-3 months.

Participants:
PrincessRainbow (s&r)
Bookwormess (s&r)
Kangaroo (s)
Harobed82 (s&r)
mcsar (s &r)
bluezwuzl(s&r)

Send Only:
josierivers (s &r)
lauraloo29 (s & r)
yorkshire-lass (s&r)
poodlesister (s & r)

As a send only please.

As a send only please.

Gotcha!

wingmcsarwing 1 yr ago
Bump.

What a beautiful theme. I write you a PM.

What a beautiful theme. I write you a PM.

PM received Thanks!

Would snow and/or ghosts fit the "celestial" theme?

Would snow and/or ghosts fit the "celestial" theme?

Hmm good question!! I will have to ask Lauraloo29 as she is the "creative mind" behind this sweepstake!!

Was it me that thought of this one? Maybe I just restarted it? :)

Anyway.

The definition of "celestial" is what I always thought:
positioned in or relating to the sky, or outer space as observed in astronomy.
"a celestial body"
synonyms: (in) space, heavenly, astronomical, extraterrestrial, stellar, astral, planetary

But I guess you could go other places:
belonging or relating to heaven.
"the celestial city"
synonyms: heavenly, holy, saintly, divine, godly, godlike, ethereal, otherworldly

I'd like to enter. Sending you PM anyway, josierivers.

I'd like to enter. Sending you PM anyway, josierivers.

Got you down! Thanks for joining!!

I have a couple of titles in mind :)

PMing you now.

I have a couple of titles in mind :)

PMing you now.

Great, got you down! Thanks for joining!

Anyone else? Looking to close December 31st.

I'm including a "definition" of Celestial so hopefully it will help.

Word Origin and History for celestial

adj.
late 14c., "pertaining to heaven," from Old French celestial "celestial, heavenly, sky-blue," from Latin caelestis "heavenly, pertaining to the sky," from caelum "heaven, sky; abode of the gods; climate," of uncertain origin; perhaps from PIE *kaid-slo-, perhaps from a root also found in Germanic and Baltic meaning "bright, clear" (cf. Lithuanian skaidrus "shining, clear;" Old English hador, German heiter "clear, shining, cloudless," Old Norse heið "clear sky").

The Latin word is the source of the usual word for "sky" in most of the Romance languages, e.g. French ciel, Spanish cielo, Italian cielo. General sense of "heavenly, very delightful" in English is from early 15c.

Harobed82 12 mos ago
I'm in!
Thank you for your PM, and please add me!
PM sent with my adress.

Thank you for your PM, and please add me!
PM sent with my adress.

Kool!!! gotcha!

This definition is interesting... there should be something suitable around... ;-)

The new deadline will give me time to find and read something that fits the theme.

The new deadline will give me time to find and read something that fits the theme.

Woohoo!! Got you too

:-)

Got you! Thanks

Closing this Sunday

send only please.

send only please.

Got you thanks!

and pming all shortly

PMs sent to all. Please let me know if you haven't received.

Thanks all for playing!!!

Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks for organizing the sweeps during the festive season!
A very happy New Year full of great books and entertaining sweeps to you all!

Thanks for organizing the sweeps during the festive season!
A very happy New Year full of great books and entertaining sweeps to you all!

I second that. And mine is on its way.

Mine will be on its way this week.

Safely received - thank you! Laura sent Jacquelyn Mitchard's 'Cage of Stars', about a Mormon girl who witnessed the murder of her sisters. I don't know much about Mormons so it will be an interesting read.

.. and unexpectedly received two! I suspect I may be the decoy and have a bonus parcel:

Thank you to Harobed82 who sent Over the Moon by Jean Ure, and to bluezwuzl who sent the Moon Over Soho (a definite theme emerging here ;) with lots of extra goodies - a couple of starry bookmarks, a postcard of the moon, a yummy looking tea bag and a bookcrossing label - thank you! I've uploaded a photo to the journal entry: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14792797

sorry for the delay :-)

Bookwormess sent a suitably spooky collection of 'Irish Ghost Stories', which I will be sure to read in company - thank you!

Just finished reading it (and enjoyed it a lot!)

Thank you to Yorkshire-lass who outdid herself by sending not only Lindsey Davis' 'The Jupiter Myth', but also Jill Mansell's 'To The Moon and Back', tea and Quality Street chocs!

I left it in mailbox Monday am... but oh, yeah it was a holiday (Martin Luther King Jr day) so no pick up... left there for Tuesday, but postal person didn't take when they left mail.... took today to PO to drop off and was short on stamps so I guess it's a good thing my annoying postal person left it. :) Will def go out tomorrow with correct amount of postage paid. Sorry for the delay!

No apologies needed - it was well worth the wait! Thank you so much! Josie's package included not one but two books, 'Saved by an angel' by Amy Newmark and 'Where River Turns to Sky' by Gregg Kleiner, as well as a 'Celestial Sahara' jigsaw puzzle along with two Celestial Seasonings tea-bags with fabulous names, 'Country Peach Passion' and 'Wild Berry Zinger'. AND on top of all that, a moon and stars bookmark that's going to live in my knitting bag because it doubles as a handy little ruler.

Thank you also to Mcsar who sent Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain, funnily enough the first person to think of SF as a genre which matches this sweeps so perfectly!

I hope it hasn't gone missing.

No it's safe and sound, just got separated from the other celestial books in a glass-of-water-over-the-bedside-table incident! The book itself stayed dry, but it was rushed to safety and then found itself languishing in its place of safety until you reminded me. Oops... anyway, thank you for Sky Hawk by Gill Lewis and for the beautiful Toulouse card!

No it's safe and sound, just got separated from the other celestial books in a glass-of-water-over-the-bedside-table incident! The book itself stayed dry, but it was rushed to safety and then found itself languishing in its place of safety until you reminded me. Oops... anyway, thank you for Sky Hawk by Gill Lewis and for the beautiful Toulouse card!

Pleased it got there! It’s a lovely book.

Sorry for the delay.

And has arrived safely - thankyou! This was 'A Message of Hope from the Angels' by Lorna Byrne, all about guardian angels - not sure I believe they exist now but perhaps I will change my mind!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.