Books for Marita (please)?!

Forum » (Not-So-) Random Acts of BookCrossing Kindness | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
I would like to ask your attention for Marita. Some of you may still know her, but for those who don't, here is the original thread from Chremajora (3 years ago):

"This is a bit of a long story but please read on and consider if you are able to help. Thank you!
I live in Germany and teach English to adults. About 6 years ago, I started a new course for beginners and one participant was a lady in her mid- to late-fifties called Marita. Back in the days when she was a schoolgirl, there was no chance for her to learn English. It just wasn't on the curriculum at German schools, so she came to me as an absolute beginner.

Over the years, Marita's English improved. She went from being a very shy beginner who was frightened to say anything in case she made a mistake to being one of the best in the class, and along the way she discovered her love of books.

The longer these courses are together, the better you get to know the participants. Slowly but surely, I discovered a lot of details from her life - and most of them are really quite sad. I don't want to go into details in the forum as Marita really is a very private person and I don't think she would appreciate me telling the world all her troubles! But it is enough to say that she has had more than her fair share of bad luck over the years in one way or another. The worst thing, though, is the situation with her husband's ill health. (And this lady has health issues of her own, too - ranging from diabetes to watermelon stomach (GAVE)).

At the end of 2012, her husband was diagnosed with epilepsy and dementia at the same time. He is in a very bad way and cannot be left by himself at all. For Marita, this means that she will probably have to stop attending English classes. She finds this very upsetting as it is one of the few pleasures left to her in life.

The other pleasure she has is reading.

When her husband takes his afternoon nap, Marita sits at the table in the next room and reads for an hour and a half until he wakes again. And she just loves to read English books! Her favourite genre is crime/thriller although she does like a good family saga too. She is, however, willing to give most things a go but the one thing she insists on is that the story isn't too traumatic - she has enough of that in real life and prefers escapism in the books she reads!

Now here's the thing: she doesn't just read in the afternoons; she takes every possible chance she can to get her nose into a book and she has run out of reading material. She is on a low pension and doesn't have a lot of money over to buy books with. English books cost more in Germany as there is an import levy to pay and since Marita does not own a computer, nor is she computer literate, ordering 2nd hand books on amazon (etc.) is not an option. And she has already read her way through the rather limited range of English books in the local library!

Do you have a book you could send her?

Not being a computer user, Marita is not a member of book crossing. But any English books she buys, she passes on to me to register and release for her so I know your books will not disappear off the radar! I will take over the registering and passing on of books on Marita's behalf. Similarly, many books on my Mt TBR or in my AVLs have been read by Marita too - I give her a book one week, she reads it and hands it back the next week!

It would be brilliant if you could help out. Please PM me for her address if you would like to send a book. If you don't have a book to send, maybe you could include Marita in your prayers? I know she would appreciate that, too!

PS One last thing: please don't send any books by Elizabeth George because she has read them all!" (end of Chremajora's thread)

It would be absolutely wonderful if you generous and kind bookcrossers could send Marita some more books! She loves M.C.Beaton, and has read all the Agatha Raisin books as well as some others, but she would love to read more. She would also love to read books by Colin Dexter (she has only read Last bus to Woodstock). She has also read some Ruth Rendells, but would love to read more of those too.
Should you want to send her a book, please PM me for her address. You can also check with me whether she has read the book you intend to send.
Thank you very much!!!

This sunday, I'll go to a charity association, in Paris, which sells English books 1€ (paperback) and 2 € (hardback) twice a year : I can look at Colin Dexter & Ruth Rendell's books for your friend, no problem. I don't know yet which books I can buy but the choice is huge, and I don't worry about to buy one title of these autors. Do you have others authors, she loves, to tell me so I can look at ? If so, I can also look at your TBR for ideas. I'll come back to you next week to tell you what I found and have Marita's adress.

Perhaps she'll enjoy the books by Lilian Jackson Braun (The cat who...). She loves thrillers and mysteries, but not too traumatic or gory.

Perhaps she'll enjoy the books by Lilian Jackson Braun (The cat who...). She loves thrillers and mysteries, but not too traumatic or gory.

Ok for Lilian Jackson Braun series...

Books on their way today.

I just tagged somebody with a M.C. Beaton before I read your thread.
Anyway I have some other Hamish Macbeth Mysteries that I can send.
PMing.

Check out my available books and let me know, if none of them appeal, have a look at TBR and I will read it next before posting.

Thanks for your generous offer!
I think she would like "Poirot investigates" and definitely "Death of a gentle lady" (both TBR). PMing you.

Who do I PM? motherof11?

Who do I PM? motherof11?

All cleared up, thank you. Sending later today! :)

Speaking for Marita: Thank you very much!

I sent the Poirot and an English Calvin & Hobbes! Hope she likes them.

Thank you very much!

wingmotherof11wing 3 yrs ago
bump

:-)

Thank you!

bump

I'll see what I can find 😊 Pming you!

I'll see what I can find 😊 Pming you!

Thank you very much!

Pming you for the titles.

Thank you very much!

Thank you very much!

Marita's adress received, thanks motherof11 ! Book n°1 at P.0 tomorrow with my Halloween Parcel and a ring.

Marita will be absolutely thrilled!

bump

:-)

Thank you very much!!!

Thank you so much!!!

Marita wrote and asked me to thank everyone who has offered to send her books! She says she is very happy!
She tells me she got books from Graz in Austria (would that be chrissini?) and she thanks that kind bookcrosser too!

Yay, I'm glad she likes the books. The bookcrosser from Graz could be me. ;)

It must be! Thank you!!!

wingfeltrewing 3 yrs ago
I have
The Rottweiler & Vanity Dies Hard by Ruth Rendell and Death of a Hussy & Death of a Macho Man by M.C. Beaton.
Ask Marita if she is interested and PM me her address.

Thank you very much for your offer!
PMing you.

bump

She received 5 M.C.Beaton books from Icila and a Colin Dexter book from florence71!
Thank you very much, guys! Bookcrossers are such generous people! You've proved it again!

Happy she likes the book I choose !
The second book I choose for her, will be in his way next month (Lilian Jackson Braun series).

Thank you!

PMing you right now!

Hope she'll enjoy it !

Thank you so much, florence71!

Thank you very much!

* From feltre: Vanity dies hard / Death of a macho man
* From yorkshire-lass: Gone west (by Carola Dunn)
* From kingfan30: Poirot investigates / Death of a gentle lady

Marita asked me to thank you all very much for the books, nice cards and lovely words! She says bookcrossers are very kind and generous people! She is very happy and thankful (all her own words)!
Thank you, guys, for making Marita so happy! You're the best! That goes for everyone who has sent Marita books!

Thank you very much Releanna (7 books), florence71 (The cat who saw stars, and a nice card) and pippis (Some lie and some die, with a nice note)!!!
Thank you so much for your generosity!

Thank you very much Releanna (7 books), florence71 (The cat who saw stars, and a nice card) and pippis (Some lie and some die, with a nice note)!!!
Thank you so much for your generosity!

Ouf, it's arrived !!!!

I, too, received a very lovely thank-you-letter from Marita :)
Her happiness makes me very happy, too!

to all you generous bookcrossers who made Marita so happy!
She wishes you all a very happy Christmas and a beautiful and blessed new year!

Thank you Icila, for sending Marita some more books! It makes her very happy!
If anyone else wants to send Marita something, please PM me.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.