corner corner BCID numbered book disappeared

Forum | << Newbies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

BCID numbered book disappeared

Hi,
Got introduced to bookcrossing through finding a book with BCID number?

When I registered & searched on the BCID nr, the person who had released the book noticed etc. I've just released the book again; wanted to write a release note and the book can no longer be found using BCID number ...
Fine by me, but am wondering if this happens all the time or just incidentally etc.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi,
Got introduced to bookcrossing through finding a book with BCID number?

When I registered & searched on the BCID nr, the person who had released the book noticed etc. I've just released the book again; wanted to write a release note and the book can no longer be found using BCID number ...
Fine by me, but am wondering if this happens all the time or just incidentally etc.
Profile Image
That sounds like a serious problem - BC books aren't supposed to disappear! Do you remember if you were logged in to your BC account when you first journaled the book? If so, it should still show on your shelf, but I only see the four books you registered yourself. If you were not logged in when you journaled the book, it would show as having an anonymous finder and would not appear on your BC shelf - but should still show on the shelf of the person who released it. And its BCID should still work - though if you wrote down the wrong number or reversed a couple of digits it could seem as if the book's missing. (I've mis-typed BCIDs myself - and on at least one occasion I wrote one down incorrectly on the book's label; only caught it when I went to make release notes, and was able to correct the label before I released the book!)

Do you remember the book's title/author, and the screen-name of the person who released it? It might be possible to find it that way.
Profile Image
....you have already "caught" the book by entering the BCID.
You now need to "release the book".
Try using this link to see if you have any joy:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/release

I'm thinking the problem may be that you are entering the BCID and the site thinks that you are trying to "catch" it again and is therefore blocking that action, because it knows you already have it.

Give it a try, let us know how you go.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.