Monday, April 21, 2008
Hi, I'm Vikki
I live in London & work in west end theatre (I say work - I mostly sit in dark corners reading by torchlight to be honest). I am also a part-time student, studying physics & applied maths with the OU.
I'll read anything I can get my hands on, but I particularly like fantasy & comedy. I also read a lot of non-fiction, again anything that catches my eye - Science, maths, biography, history, sociology... whatever. My wishlist reflects this eclectic taste, but is always kept up to date.
Please don't make assumptions based on my bookshelf here - most of it is obtained specifically to cross so doesn't indicate my personal preferences
My interests, outside of reading, geeking & theatre, are pretty general - sunny days, sitting in parks, chilling out with my friends. I'm quite into arts-n-craftsy stuff too, mostly embroidery, and a bit of reconstrucion-craft, some toy-making. I'm teaching myself leather working at the moment... indulging my inner rock chick.
There are photos of the stuff I make (as well as general assorted musings) on my blog - Why not take a look?
Oh, and I need caffeine like most people need oxygen.
BOOKCROSSING & ME
I'm definitely up for trading (be that books, postcards, craft tips, gossip - whatever), so please feel free to PM me with any requests. I do post Internationally as often as I can manage so you don't need to be UK based.
I'm a member of the 1001 library.
My birthday buddy is Prachitulshan in Delhi, a fellow theatre lover whose birthday is April 12th.
If you see me at a meet or con please come over to say hello. I am - deceptively - painfully shy; I have so many times spotted someone I know from the forums but not been brave enough to go up and introduce myself - which I curse later of course. I may come across as loud and brash and full of confidence, but I'm not (just full of rum mostly), so please please be braver than I am and introduce yourself.
I enjoy coming up with, and playing, release challenges / games - such as Olympics, Monopoly and Snap - I'd love you to come along and join us in the Challenges forum
I take part in a fair few book rings, rays and VBBs, and occasionally host them too - though I'm not hosting any right this minute.
I also run the European Non-Fiction VBB in the bookray forum, there's a round every spring and autumn months so keep your eyes open for it in the bookray forum
I also oversee The Death of Books' shelf, to help deceased books on their way to a final resting place in that great sky-library.
HOLIDAY GIFT GIVING & NSS
I love to participant in the holiday gift giving (and Summer gift giving too) and Not So Secret gift giving that goes on amongst various groups of bookcrossers. Thank you so much those of you who have sent me wonderful gifts in the past - and I hope that those of you who have received parcels from me enjoyed them.
A few ideas for things I may like are below (I feel a bit greedy writing, but have found similar lists on others profiles really useful)
* wooden thread spools; you know when you buy sewing thread, it comes on a plastic spool? In the old days (and still these days, occasionally) those used to be wooden. I want them :) I'm only interested in the middle bit, that you'd normally throw away once the thread was finished - so if there's thread on it I'll use it, but if you want to use it yourself, go for it and send me the remains once you're done! Wooden spools from ribbon, yarn, twine or whatever else are also good - any size, shape, and condition is great.
* stamped coins / squashed pennies - I am collecting these to make a charm bracelet
* any old jewellery - broken bracelets, necklaces, or watches, earrings with one of the pair missing; things like that - I use them to embellish my crafting. any material is fine; costume jewellery and plastic / fun type stuff is completely welcome - I'm not expecting anyone to send me real stuff!
* old keys; everyone has a few laying around that they don't know what they are for! Any type, any style - again to use in crafting
* I collect 1-inch hexies, so small scraps of fabric (about 2.5 inches square) are great for making those :) If you're a quilter and want to make me some up, or trade them with me, even better!
* fabric patches - the sort you might sew on to a blanket (since that's what I'll do with 'em). Or Swimming badges, scout badges, anything like that which you're done with :)
* of course, wishlist books
* BC supplies - I always particularly need Book plate labels and tiny spine stickers - 'official' or home made are fine. Or smallish self adhesive stickers with space to write a BCID, meant to go on the last page of a book to remind a person to journal 'now you've finished' (or whatever wording)
* anything handmade, coz there's nothing better in the world than a handmade present
...or you could check out my Blog or Pinterest for more inspiration
If anyone needs an address to send things to me - well, first off, thank you! - you can get the address from rabck.com
Also, I try to keep a vague eye on my weight and don't eat too many sweets or treats, so maybe skip the chocolate and sugar-stuff :)
Reduce Mt TBR Challenge
My new years resolution is to stop buying more books than I can read - therefore each month I will tally my books and aim to reduce the number each time. I am allowed to buy/gain new books (I'm too realistic to try not to!), but the idea is to buy less than I read... In effect, I try to lose books like other women try to lose pounds...
- January 1st 2010 TBR pile - 119 books tall...
- Jan 1st 2011 - 54 books tall
- Jan 1st 2012 - 65 books tall (dammit)
- Jan 1st 2013 - 52 books tall
Jan 1st 2014 - 42 books tall
Feb 1st - 36
March 1st - 34
April 1st - 34 (well... I didn't gain any at least!)
May 1st - 34 (stalemate?)
June 1st - 29
July 1st - 30, darn it
August 1st - 29