corner corner Other Book

Other Book
by Philip Womack | Teens
Registered by wingReleannawing of Wien Bezirk 23 - Liesing, Wien Austria on 7/10/2011

status (set by megami-no-ushi): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingReleannawing from Wien Bezirk 23 - Liesing, Wien Austria on Sunday, July 10, 2011

Edward, 12, finds The Other Book, old and dusty, in the school library, and suddenly his life is far more interesting than he would like. Connected with Merlin, this magical tome gives whomever possesses it tremendous powers, which have been horribly misused in the past. While trying to protect the book and figure out what's going on, Edward experiences terrifying visions, ghostly knights, betrayal upon betrayal, kidnapping, and a sinister new teacher who will do anything, including commit murder, to get her hands on it. Part Arthurian quest, part gothic boarding school fantasy, the story includes a fair amount of violence and a not-completely-coherent plot. Characters appear out of the woodwork to rescue or impede Edward, who seems to make the wrong decisions over and over.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReleannawing at Young Adults, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (9/16/2011 UTC) at Young Adults, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

on its way to rureading - have fun!

Journal Entry 3 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The book arrived safely today. Thank you, Releanna.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I enjoyed the idea of the "dark book" taking over the mind of the reader and the concept of the knight from the past giving aid when required. The story has some holes in the plot as it seems to be rushed to a conclusion. A quick read that I wish had been filled out a little more because I liked the premise.
Thanks for the book Releanna.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (12/10/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Book taken to the Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe today.

Journal Entry 6 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 10, 2011

I picked this book up from rureading at the Bookcrossing meeting today - adding to Mt. TBR :)

Journal Entry 7 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, April 04, 2013

I picked this book up and read it over a couple of evenings - I pretty much agree with rureading. It is a nice read, but felt like it could have been fleshed out more. The beginning surprised me with how violent and fairly graphic it was - which is not a bad thing. I enjoyed the Arthurian literary references, particularly to Idylls of a King by Tennyson (one of my favorites ever!!)

Thanks so much for sharing - I will take this to the next Calgary Bookcrossing meeting at the Joshua Tree Cafe to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 8 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/13/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book to the Calgary Bookcrossing meeting at the Joshua Tree Cafe today to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 9 by underasunnysky at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 12, 2013

To be read.

Journal Entry 10 by underasunnysky at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (2/8/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing to another lucky reader at the Calgary BookCrossing Group at Cravings.

Journal Entry 11 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing February meet-up. I can't remember why I wanted to read this book, but the premise sounds pretty neat.

Journal Entry 12 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 08, 2014

I liked this book. Cool premise with a lot of details. A few things happen a little suddenly, but it doesn't take away from your enjoyment of the book. Is there a second book? The story certainly ends with the potential for a sequel.

Journal Entry 13 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (3/8/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing March meet-up.

Journal Entry 14 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Picked up at get together

Journal Entry 15 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, May 19, 2016

The prologue caught my attention right away, and the beginning drew me right along. It was a really neat idea, and I was excited to see what would happen with the book which had become corrupted. Part way through, though, it felt like it lost some of its momentum. It got a bit circle-ish, in which it had qualities of those nightmares you can have where no matter what you do you can't get away from the bad guy. It also started jumping pretty quick from one idea to another, which made it feel less solid.

On a whole it was an enjoyable and light read.

Thanks for the interesting read.

Journal Entry 16 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 08, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (10/8/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together

Journal Entry 17 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 08, 2016

I brought this home from the October meet up at Cravings.

Journal Entry 18 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Had trouble engaging in this at first. Glad I stuck with it as an interesting premise and it had some interesting action in it.

Journal Entry 19 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 14, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/14/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the October meeting at Cravings Restaurant.

Journal Entry 20 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, October 19, 2017

Picked up at the October meeting!