corner corner Hiroshima

Hiroshima
by John Hersey | Nonfiction
Registered by wingMinerva101wing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 08, 2011

status (set by Crataegus): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingMinerva101wing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 08, 2011

Short book, but hard to read..... though it is a book everyone should read.

Product Description
When the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, few could have anticipated its potential for devastation. Pulitzer prize-winning author John Hersey recorded the stories of Hiroshima residents shortly after the explosion and, in 1946, Hiroshima was published, giving the world first-hand accounts from people who had survived it. The words of Miss Sasaki, Dr. Fujii, Mrs. Nakamara, Father Kleinsorg, Dr. Sasaki, and the Reverend Tanimoto gave a face to the statistics that saturated the media and solicited an overwhelming public response. Whether you believe the bomb made the difference in the war or that it should never have been dropped, "Hiroshima" is a must read for all of us who live in the shadow of armed conflict.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMinerva101wing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 09, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (7/9/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I amk taking this little book to the Bookcrossing meeting at the Joshua Tree. The theme this month is People or Events in history. Hiroshima was a pretty major and pivotal event in history.

Journal Entry 3 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 10, 2011

I am relieved that this is only 116 pages, Minerva101.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, March 02, 2012

The accounts of the survivors of the atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima was a compelling read and not at all what I expected. I was impressed by the stoicism of the Japanese culture; how they did not think of personal needs first but of how to work together collectively for the good of others. I was reminded of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, of how quickly anarchy developed and the lasting problems that are visible today. I think it is interesting to compare the American response to a natural disaster the size of Katrina, to the much larger catastrophe of the tsunami in Japan of a year ago, and how resilient the Japanese society is in working together to accomplish the work required to reclaim the devastated areas.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, March 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/10/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe today.

Journal Entry 6 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 12, 2012

Picked up at the March meeting.

Journal Entry 7 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the meeting at the Joshua Cafe tomorrow to be passsed on to someone or left on the bookshelf. I can't remember if I posted this - it was powerful, especially after already visiting the two museums in Japan around the anniversary date. This is a must read.

Journal Entry 8 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Picked up at the April Calgary BC meeting.

Taking a bit of a risk on this one, I'm not big on military history.

Journal Entry 9 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 10, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/11/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken back to the Calgary Bookcrossing Meeting, I've run out of time to read it.

The Calgary Bookcrossing group meets every second Saturday in the Joshua Tree. Join us on Facebook!

Journal Entry 10 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Picked this up at August's meeting, once again came home with too many books!

Journal Entry 11 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, September 17, 2012

Hard book to read but as others have said it is one that probably everyone should read. I liked the fact that the book was about six people so you got six different perspectives of what happened. Some of the stories were hard to keep separate and I did find myself thinking I was following one person but it was actually the other person. Perhaps that is what war is like, no one knows what is going on (I was listening to this as a book on tape while I was driving so that could also have something to do with it). It is really sad that a small instant in time left such devastating results. Even after all the time that has passed, the victims still have to deal with pain and the memories of that day...

I should mention that the book on tape included an additional chapter that was written forty years after the bomb and looked at the people's lives after years had passed. It was amazing how many of them year's later were still dealing with the health issues caused by the bomb. Not to mention the stigma associated with the victims and their future descendants. Hopefully something was learned!

Journal Entry 12 by wingCrossing-Guardwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (10/13/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to the next person on the list.

Are you in the Calgary area and interested in meeting up with other Calgary BookCrossers? Please check out our facebook group, "BookCrossing Calgary" for details on how. Meeting are held on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree Cafe starting at 11am. New Crossers are always welcome.

Journal Entry 13 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Picked up at the get together

Journal Entry 14 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

These were compelling accounts of Hiroshima at the time of the bomb, immediately afterwards and in the months following. I found this book difficult to put down. I've had the fortune to have travelled to both Hiroshima and Nagasaki and see their peace parks and museums dedicated to the atomic bombings. This book captured the events and feelings of the devastation very well.

Thank you very much for passing along this book.

Journal Entry 15 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Released 8 mos ago (11/9/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together.

Journal Entry 16 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 10, 2013

I came home with this book so I could help wild release it. The more I flip through it I think the more I need to read it first.

Picked up at today's war themed Calgary bookcrossing meet up. Just in time for Remembrance Day.

Journal Entry 17 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I'm glad I read this. I take home too many books that romanticise ideals about war and related hardships. I'm glad I got to take home one that's written from human accounts even if it's a situation that I still can't process.

This book came home with me to be wild released. Will make a new journal entry once i release it.