corner corner The Psychopath Test

The Psychopath Test
by Jon Ronson | Nonfiction
Registered by wingleamhliomwing of Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, July 08, 2011

status (set by glade1): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingleamhliomwing from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, July 08, 2011

Hello Kind Reader,
Just a quick note that I've registered this book at BookCrossing.com, so that I can keep up on where it goes, who reads it, and what they thought of it. Please visit www.BookCrossing.com to make a quick journal entry, then pass the book along to someone else who will appreciate it. We can all track this book's journey and the lives it touches forever more!
Thank You!

Journal Entry 2 by wingleamhliomwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, July 08, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (7/9/2011 UTC) at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Released as part of a Book Ray.

Book Ray order:

synical – Malaysia INTL
PJL Bewdy –Australia INTL
dutch-book – Netherlands EU only <
amcamp1644 – US – US shipping if possible but will post INTL
Rodesspringbal – Belgium EU (leave to near end of book ray)
Vekiki – UK EU only (leave to near end of book ray)
earthcaroleanne - UK EU only (leave to near end of book ray)

Hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by synical at Petaling Jaya, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Just a quick JE to say that it reached Malaysia safely - will be going through this ASAP and will PM the next person in line.

Journal Entry 4 by synical at Petaling Jaya, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Sunday, July 24, 2011

Never having read Jon Ronson's previous work, I didn't know what to expect. But this appealed to the psych student in me, so it was an okay read, learnt some interesting stuff about psychopathy.

There was also an episode on This American Life where the TAL staff took the test to find out if anyone was psychotic (spoiler alert - NO).

Anyway, will be sending this on to PJL Bewdy as soon as I can get to a post office.

PS. Been feeling under the weather the last couple of days, but the book is FINALLY on its merry way to Australia as of 27/7/2011.

Journal Entry 5 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Monday, August 08, 2011

Received safely - looking forward to reading this one

Journal Entry 6 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Monday, August 15, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (8/15/2011 UTC) at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia

I read Men Who Stare At Goats last year and enjoyed it. Ronson manages to amuse and entertain despite the extremely serious nature of the subject matter. He doesn't offer any manifesto or deeply held belief in relation to the Mental Illness Industry apart from suggesting that psychiatrists leap to diagnosis on occasion. A quick and interesting read.

This book is now off to dutch-book in the Netherlands as the next port of call in the Bookray - I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 7 by wingdutch-bookwing at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, August 22, 2011

Thanks for sending! I haven't got a clue about this book, don't even know what it is about, but I was intrigued by the title and the offering text on the forum that I leapt right in. It looks promising!

Journal Entry 8 by wingdutch-bookwing at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Interesting book with interesting characters. Nothing that I haven't already heard, but I didn't mind, because it was written in an entertaining style. Found recognition in the chapter about children who sometimes get diagnosed with something they mightn't even have. My brother was diagnosed with ADHD when he was little, he got Ritalin (that's how we call it.) Now he's 21 years old, and now they say he doesn't have it. How can that be? He got drugs for something they now say he doesn't have. I'm a little confused. But in the end I think he's just a boy with his own personality that is different than the mine.

I have already received rodespringbal's adress, so hope to let it travel today.

Journal Entry 9 by wingdutch-bookwing at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (10/12/2011 UTC) at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Sent off to rodespringbal as the next one on the list.

Journal Entry 10 by wingrodespringbalwing at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

got it on monday. start reading after finishing an other ringbook

Journal Entry 11 by wingrodespringbalwing at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Monday, November 14, 2011

not my cup of tea... maybe because it reminds me of a book (forgot the title) that I needed to read for school. I think I will send this to the next one and hope that he enjoys it.

Journal Entry 12 by wingVekikiwing at -- somewhere in Greater London --, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

this arrived while I was on holiday, so sorry about the delay in journalling. But it's here now - I just want to finish my current read then I am raring to get to it :)

Journal Entry 13 by wingVekikiwing at -- somewhere in Greater London --, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, January 01, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/1/2012 UTC) at -- somewhere in Greater London --, Greater London United Kingdom

all parceled up and ready to go in tomorrows post to the next participant

Journal Entry 14 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Arrived today. I'm looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 15 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, January 13, 2012

This was a good read. I thought the section about misdiagnosis was interesting especially the possible connection between extending the autism spectrum and the MMR vaccine. Ronson writes in a very enjoyable style and I've sure we've all had bosses we could fit in the checklist!

ETA - managed to extend the ray.

salvami - Ireland-Europe
pam99 - Scotland-US
NMReader - US-US
angelface46 - US-US
firegirl - US-US
imuzak12 - US-US (0nwards)

Journal Entry 16 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Broadway, Co. Wexford Ireland on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/1/2012 UTC) at Broadway, Co. Wexford Ireland

On it's way in the ray.

Journal Entry 17 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Thank you, earthcaroleanne for sending me the book & organizing a ray!
I heard a lot about this one, so I am looking forward to reading it soon :)
Thanks!

Journal Entry 18 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Sunday, March 04, 2012

It was an interesting read.
I didn't know about David Shayler though, I kind of know someone just like him(I heard that he started dressing up like a woman and has a female name now.. also he has been strongly expressing his interests of conspiracy theories recently. wow, and more crazy stories about him....). The person is not a friend of mine or anything, I just met him few times with other people... I wonder he is a psychopath. Then I checked him with the psychopathy checklist.

well, anyway, I quite enjoyed this book.
I have pam99's address and I will post it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 19 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/7/2012 UTC) at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland

Travelling to Scotland! Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 20 by wingpam99wing at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

arrived yesterday, and I've started reading it already. An excerpt from this was published here in the Guardian and so I was keen to read the book.

Journal Entry 21 by wingpam99wing at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, March 15, 2012

I really enjoyed this book - I like Ronson's style and it's a subject that I'm very interested in. I am a member of the Scottish Socialist Party which UK readers may be aware of because of the Sheridan trial http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/dec/23/tommy-sheridan-prison-perjury - he ticks all of the boxes...

Anyway, I'm pm'ing the next participant for an address and will get this book moving shortly!

Journal Entry 22 by wingpam99wing at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/20/2012 UTC) at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom

posting the book to NMReader at lunchtime

Journal Entry 23 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, April 29, 2012

My neighbor handed me this - says she grabbed from the doorstep on Wed when it was raining.

Will read asap

Journal Entry 24 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/18/2012 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I have tried to get into this book and don't seem able to - rather then delaying the ring, I am sending on to the next reader and will try reading a library copy later.

Delivery Confirmaion #: 0312 0860 0001 3907 3889

Journal Entry 25 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sorry, just realized I forgot to journal. Received on the 22nd.

Journal Entry 26 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Wow is about all I can say about this book. I had just studied psychopaths in school so it was interesting to read along the lines of this book. I do think it could have been better written. It may seem a jumble to me because it's written from the UK. Thanks for sharing it.

Journal Entry 27 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Arrived safely in Virginia! Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 28 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Saturday, December 29, 2012

I thought this was quite good and enjoyed reading it. Ronson has a style that I can clearly see people either loving or hating. This is not a book to read as a serious, deeply researched book on psychosis, though I imagine some of his source material (noted in the back) would be. This is more Ronson's own experience with the Hare test and psychopaths (correctly or incorrectly diagnoses) personally. Hence, it bounces around a fair bit, covers a wide range of topics, and incorporates a lot of personal experience. I found most of it fascinating and it has lead me to want to read other works by Ronson.

Journal Entry 29 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 05, 2013

This is written in a much more personal voice than I anticipated. I found his relaxed style and personal touches enjoyable and liked the fast pace casualness of the book, but can see how others would be frustrated as it isn't the serious non-fiction study I expected. I found it very interesting and agreed with a great lot of what was brought up (the over diagnosis and medication of children, especially). It's definitely made me curious about his other work as well. Thanks much for involving me!

Journal Entry 30 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 05, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (1/2/2013 UTC) at Annandale, Virginia USA

Posted to next in line.

Journal Entry 31 by imuzak12 at Corpus Christi, Texas USA on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Received in mail today.
I am scheduled to move to another address by the end of the next month, but I'll try finish reading, finding the next reader, and mailing it before the moving. I'll see...

Journal Entry 32 by imuzak12 at Virginia Beach, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

It was very interesting read! To be honest, I wasn't sure if I would like this book at the beginning. When I started chapter 2, it got interesting. There is a psychopath! There is a Scientologist! And there is an overly anxious journalist, which is the author:) How can it be not interesting! From there he twisted the angle from right to left, from left to right, and up and down. At first, I thought crime novel lovers will really enjoy this book because he studied on psychopath. However, he went much further. He covered different kind of criminals & people, disorders, misdiagnosis, and overmedicating. Anyone who has a curious mind would enjoy this book.

Before this book, I just finish Jodi Picoult's "Nineteen Minutes" and read about amygdala (page 404) which was also mentioned in this book (page 114), so it was very good timing to read it. I am also planning to read another Picoult, "House Rules" whose theme is Asperger's Disorder. I think it is very appropriate to read after this :)

This book is going to travel again soon.

Journal Entry 33 by imuzak12 at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, April 26, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (4/26/2013 UTC) at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Book is mailed to France as bookray. Here is the order:

1. lcila (France; mail anywhere)
2. alexiapapa (Greece; mail EU)
3. MaggyGray (Germany; mail anywhere)
4. JudySlump612 (US; mail anywhere)
5. waterfalling (US)
6. glade1 (US; mail within US)
7. Jaquirose (US; mail within US)

I hope everyone enjoy the book.
If you happen to be the last reader of this bookray, please do as you wish--RABCK, wild-release, or else :)

Journal Entry 34 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

The book was was safely waiting for me at home along with a few fellow BC books while I was in the South of France.
It's a ring, I put it on the top of my TBR.

Thanks.

Journal Entry 35 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Frightening when you think how you or your children may be misdiagnosed and have to take drugs or worse.

Journal Entry 36 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (7/11/2013 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

In its way to alexiapapa in Greece.

Journal Entry 37 by alexiapapa at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Safe and sound in my hands! I recieved it today and will read it soon! Thanks Icila! :)

Journal Entry 38 by alexiapapa at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Released 12 mos ago (9/18/2013 UTC) at Larisa, Larisa Greece

It was interesting to learn about all these researches and finding out some things I never heard of. It kept me from one point except some names I didn't really know!
Next to MaggyGray for the ring! Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 39 by wingMaggyGraywing at Regenstauf, Bayern Germany on Monday, September 23, 2013

Got the book today, thank you for sending it to me! :-)

Journal Entry 40 by wingMaggyGraywing at Regenstauf, Bayern Germany on Sunday, October 13, 2013

I liked the idea and the book (and the design of the front page :-)) and read it through quite quickly. It was very interesting to read about psychopaths, where you can find them and how you can find out whether someone is a psychopath or not.
Jon Ronson writes in an entertaining and easy way but I think from the middle of this book on it gets a bit confusing. He still writes aboud madness and things like that but it seems a bit as if he just took out some incidentes which have something madnesslike issues in it. That was a bit puzzling but nethertheless it is a book I can warmly recommend to others.
I'll look for the next address.

Journal Entry 41 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Arrived safely yesterday. Many thanks, MaggyGray, for the actual postal stamps, which DrSlump will enjoy, and for that striking postcard - I had just enough college German left to figure it out.

The timing is perfect on this, since I'm trying hard to get rid of a cold. Today's weather is cold and damp, but I shall climb into bed with a cup of tea and this fascinating book.

Journal Entry 42 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Like synical, I had heard the This American Life segment on the Psychopath Test, so I was eager to read this book (although I'd LOVE to know how synical caught the show, which is broadcast on National Public Radio here in the USA).

I think the show also included part of Chapter 6, a look at the possible psychopathic worldview of our current economy's top moguls, who enrich themselves with no consideration of the damage their actions cause to others. But my favorite part remains Chapter 2, which remains as fascinating now as when I first heard the broad cast, because we really get a good closeup look at Tony, his preoccupation with himself, and his utter lack of remorse.

The book has more entertainment value than information, although the Test itself is included, on page 101. Do you dare to take it for yourself, or apply it to other people you know?

Journal Entry 43 by wingJudySlump612wing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Released 9 mos ago (11/24/2013 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Waterfalling, next in the bookring.

(Sorry, didn't actually mail until Dec. 18)

Journal Entry 44 by wingwaterfallingwing at Rockledge, Florida USA on Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Arrived with today's mail. Should be able to send on shortly.

Journal Entry 45 by wingwaterfallingwing at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Very much enjoyed this. I hadn't read any other Ronson work but do have The Men Who Stare at Goats still in my possession.

Started out strong, though I did get a bit put off when he began to actively diagnose others as psychopaths after that three-day seminar (though that may have been the point of the project). Still, fascinating characters were introduced (that David Shayler chapter was just bizarre) and appreciated the follow-up on Tony.

Waiting for a reply from glade1 that she's ready for me to send on the bookray.

Journal Entry 46 by wingwaterfallingwing at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Friday, January 03, 2014

Released 8 mos ago (1/3/2014 UTC) at Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Taken to the post office today - on its way to glade1.

Journal Entry 47 by wingglade1wing at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Received in the mail yesterday. It's behind a couple of others I have promised but I'll move it along as soon as possible. Thanks for including me in the ray!

Journal Entry 48 by wingglade1wing at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Quick and entertaining introduction to the "madness industry." I enjoy Ronson's conversational writing style and learned some things from this book. It is certainly not an in-depth book about psychology, more along the lines of one of Mary Roach's overviews of a topic, with information presented in an entertaining way. I have read The Men Who Stare at Goats and enjoyed it. I'd like to get hold of Them and see what Ronson has to say about "extremists," too.

I'll get an address for Jaquirose and mail this along as soon as payday hits. Thank you all for sharing and passing this one along!

Journal Entry 49 by wingglade1wing at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Thursday, March 13, 2014

I have sent a couple of PMs and posted an ISO in the Bookring forum but have not heard from Jaquirose. I'll hold on to this book a bit longer in case she turns up, but may just wild release at some point if I don't find her, as she was the last one on the list...

Journal Entry 50 by wingglade1wing at Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Released 4 wks ago (8/18/2014 UTC) at Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro, North Carolina USA

Congratulations! You have found a BookCrossing book, which is traveling around in search of new readers. Please take a moment to note where you found the book, and, if you can, spend some time browsing the site.

BookCrossing is a community of readers with a mission to share books by "releasing" them into the wild, as well as trading and sharing with each other. Our forums are a wonderful place to chat with other readers about what you are reading and anything else that's on your mind. It's lots of fun!

Once you are finished with this book, please take the time to make another journal entry telling what you thought about it and where it's going next. Thanks!

(Never heard from Jaquirose so I released this. Left on book exchange shelf in Medical Library.)