corner corner All Creatures Great and Small

All Creatures Great and Small
by James Herriot | Nonfiction
Registered by erishkigal of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 6/30/2011

status (set by erishkigal): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by erishkigal from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, June 30, 2011

This book is an old favorite~~ one I've read several times over the years~~I'm happy to send this copy off to find a next reader who will hopefully love it as much as I do. Or at east thoroughly enjoy it :)

from the back cover:

Take an unforgettable journey through the English countryside and into the homes of its inhabitants-- four-legged and otherwise-- with the world's best-loved animal doctor.

For over 25 years-- since All Creatures Great and Small was first published-- readers have delighted to the storytelling genius of James Herriot, the Yorkshire veterinarian whose fascinating vignettes brim with the wonder of life, animal and human.

Whether struggling mightily to position a calf for birthing, or comforting a lonely old man whose beloved dog and only companion has died, Herriot's heartwarming and often hilarious stories of his first years as a country vet perfectly depict the wonderful relationship between man and animal-- and they intimately portray a man whose humor, compassion , and love of life are truly inspiring.

Journal Entry 2 by erishkigal at Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, July 02, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (7/2/2011 UTC) at Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

left at the Elephant Encounter, as a BC Monopoly release!

please scroll on down to follow Bally's grand zoo adventure~

ARE YOU NEW TO BOOKCROSSING?

Welcome! Thank you for helping me track this book's journey! I have been a member of BookCrossing since 2005, and my books released into the wild have not only traveled across the country, but to Canada, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand! It's a fun and rewarding hobby! :)

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

1) You may continue as an Anonymous Finder. Or, Register as a member , then you too will receive future journal entries on this book and track its journey around the world! It's free and spam-free.

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

Thank you, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 3 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, July 02, 2011

On move 4 of BC Monopoly, Team Boot landed on Statues and Monuments. Cool, we thought, those are everywhere, any one of us can do this release. So we talked options a bit, and asked Bally's opinion: he wanted to go on Safari. So off he went, to visit creatures great and small at Utah's Hogle Zoo.

The first creatures Bally saw when he arrived were llamas. "Oooh", Bally mused,"he's very great compared to me, I wonder if he'd stand as still as a statue and we could take my picture with him."
The llama hissed and spit when asked, and Bally decided to move on in search of an actual statue.
Next Bally saw giraffes. They looked gentle, but so had the llama, and the giraffes were much bigger.

Journal Entry 4 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, July 02, 2011

On his way to see The Big Cats, Bally passed by a macaw that called out "Hello, beautiful!"
Bally preened. That made him feel sooooo good.

Journal Entry 5 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

Bally was in search of the Lions, King of the Wild, having brought a jeweled crown, thinking surely there'd be a statue of the king. But things have changed at Hogle, and lions were not to be found :(

Bally did journey to the Asian Highlands, where he saw an Amun tiger, Siberian tigers, Snow Leopards, and Pallas cats. All are very great compared to Bally, except the Pallas cat, which is really very small. Still bigger than Bally, tho.

Journal Entry 6 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

As Bally was leaving the Highlands, he spotted a lovely statue of a tiger mother and kit, and nestled in with them for his first photo-op.

Disappointed the cats were not life-size, and having yet to see his favorites, or any tiny creatures, Bally continued on~

Journal Entry 7 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

By this time, Bally had heard distant roars, and rumors of the greatest King that ever lived on land.

Heading down the hill, Bally rounded a corner, and this is what he saw glaring hungrily at him.

Journal Entry 8 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

Yup. Tyrannosaurus Rex! He was huge! 7 tons, the sign said. Very, very great indeed compared to Ballycumber. Quaking with fear, Bally still gathered his courage, put on his crown, and stood beneath the gnashing teeth just long enough to get his picture taken!

Journal Entry 9 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

Next Bally met an armadillo, and thought how handy to be armored. Especially since most everything he's seen was so much bigger than him and had such very big teeth.

Journal Entry 10 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

"I'm big! I'm the big one!" Bally suddenly exclaimed, have spied the Saffron Finch. "And look how beautiful she is~~oooo, such a pretty colour!" Bally would think so, since she's just his shade.

Journal Entry 11 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

By now, Ballly's little legs were feelling the distance his safari was taking him, and he asked the way to the greatest of all living land animals, which was where he wished to leave Herriot's book.

But on the way, he couldn't resist more photos. Visiting the primates, Bally found a bust of Gorgeous, the curious, friendly gorilla beloved of Utahans for 50 years. It was both statue and monument, so of course Bally had to pose again :)

Journal Entry 12 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

The beating sun was hot, hot , HOT, and Bally put on his pith helmet as he made his way towards the Serengeti plain.....

One last stop on the way~Bally insisted on stopping in what used to be the butterfly house....alas, no longer do the butterflies flutter by, but Bally did find some VERY SMALL creatures who made him feel VERY BIG.

Journal Entry 13 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

On the last leg now, Bally was not only feeling tired and hot, but also more than a little peckish.
He dearly wanted a nice cold ice cream cone. But he recalled Vekiki calling him "statuesque," and how that made him feel quite sensitive about his girth. "Tho truth be told," he said with a sniff, " a good book should have substance."

Still, stopping at a snack stand, Bally decided on popcorn~which he could share~ rather than the cone.

Here's a picture showing both his popcorn and the helmet he put on.

Journal Entry 14 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

At last, at last, the plain's in sight, and just there among the distant rocks~yes!

Journal Entry 15 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

the greatest of great! Compared even to this years baby, Bally is so small as to be tiny. But they are gentle giants, and Bally shares his popcorn

Journal Entry 16 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

before going to take his picture with the Statue welcoming visitors at the entrance to Elephant Encounter.

Journal Entry 17 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, July 03, 2011

With the help of a young volunteer, Bally's long day was done at last~

*because on a busy Saturday at the zoo, as soon as one child is off another is on, ACGAS was not left directly on the statue, but on a bench.