corner corner The Speed of Dark

The Speed of Dark
by Elizabeth Moon | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Charleston, South Carolina USA on Thursday, June 30, 2011

status (set by brownwhitetan): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, May 06, 2012

There is a bird called the Ivory Billed Woodpecker. By the beginning of the last century, the bird had been nearly hunted to extinction. But a few years back, it's distinctive call just may have been heard in the backwoods of Arkansas. It was said to be so beautiful that when people saw it, they said, “Lord God! What a bird!” The name stuck. And now, I find myself saying, "Lord God! What a book!"

The Speed of Dark takes place in the not so distant future. The world is not that different, but in that time, a cure for autism has been discovered. Babies and young children who are afflicted can undergo a treatment early on to help overcome the quirks that are part of autism. Lou, the central character of this book, is a man in his thirties, born before the treatment became available and was too old to take it. He and his colleagues, all autistic, work for a company that puts to use their unique skills and abilities, particularly in pattern recognition.

But then a "cure" for autism, successful in animal testing, is offered to Lou and his colleagues. If they take the cure, they are assured of keeping their jobs. Safety and efficacy are unknown in the human population. Successful or not; it would change their worlds forever. And it can change who they, themselves, are, as well.

This was one of the absolute best portrayals of autism I have ever encountered. It is a story beautifully told. Lou's amazing mind unfolds to the reader. Having worked with some autistic kids, I know how brilliant they can be, but how they can be held captive by ticks and traits. But their minds are amazing. And so is Lou's.

A captivating read that I highly recommend.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Passing this on to a friend. I should have recommended it when she created her book bucket list, but I forgot. Idiot.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/8/2012 UTC) at Charleston, South Carolina USA

BrownwhiteTan has created a bucket list of things she wishes to accomplish. Item 29 of the list is to read 100 books recommended by her friends. This book was on the list. I like to help my friends achieve their goals. And I wish her a LONG time in which to complete her entire bucket list, create a new one, fulfill that, and slowly walk toward her sunset with peace, laughter, and grace.

Journal Entry 4 by brownwhitetan at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, June 17, 2012

A surprise in my bag from bookczuk. Looking forward to reading it.