corner corner Slow Death by Rubber Duck

Slow Death by Rubber Duck
by Rick Smith | Nonfiction
Registered by wingcharbonowing of Clayton, Victoria Australia on Sunday, June 26, 2011

status (set by charbono): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingcharbonowing from Clayton, Victoria Australia on Sunday, June 26, 2011

I found this book fascinating and easy to read. The two authors set out to quantitatively measure the amount of toxins that we humans absorb from our (artificial) environment. They did this by first isolating themselves from the toxin they wanted to measure, to gain a baseline/background measurement. So for example when testing for mercury, they avoided eating fish for 2 weeks, then had a blood test. Then they consumed what would be considered a 'normal' intake, and had their blood tested again.

The book is formatted to feature one toxin per chapter. The toxins covered by this book are: perfluorinated compounds (PFCs/Teflon), Mercury, Triclosan, 2,4,D (pesticides), PCBs, and Phthalates. All of which are in YOUR blood supply.

This book is pretty shocking and eye-opening. I really recommend it. People should know this stuff.