corner corner Forty Words for Sorrow

Forty Words for Sorrow
by Giles Blunt | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingrureadingwing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, June 13, 2011

status (set by Niora): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingrureadingwing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, June 13, 2011

When four teenagers go missing in the small northern town of Algonquin Bay, the extensive police investigation comes up empty. Everyone is ready to give up except Detective John Cardinal, an all-too-human loner whose persistence only serves to get him removed from Homicide. Haunted by a criminal secret in his own past, and hounded by a special investigation into corruption on the force, Cardinal is on the brink of losing his career - and his family.

When the mutilated body of thirteen-year-old Katie Pine is pulled out of an abandoned mineshaft, only Cardinal is willing to consider the horrific truth: this quiet town is home to the most vicious of serial killers. With the media, the provincial police and his own department questioning his every move, Cardinal follows increasingly tenuous threads towards the unthinkable. Time isn''t only running out for him, but for another young victim, tied up in a basement wondering when and how his captors will kill him.

...
This book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world. Read it, share it, and pass it on! Thanks!

Journal Entry 2 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (6/28/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

aetm's selection from the Murder/Thrillers Around the World VBB hosted by bookstogive, sent by Canada Post today.

Journal Entry 3 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Monday, July 11, 2011

The book has safely arrived in Austin (already a few days ago, so before I returned from my quick summer trip to MN). Thank you rureading.
I don't think I've ever seen anything by this author in US. But nice to discover thrillers based in the other parts of the world. Most of the time I'm a fan of a bit more adrenaline-inducing thrillers and procedurals than 'old lady mysteries', and this sounds like a perfect read for between or after some Kurt Wallander mysteries. :)

Journal Entry 4 by aetm at Austin, Texas USA on Friday, March 09, 2012

This was a perfect read for when I craved something like my favorite Nordic crime/thriller reads (like Nesbø or Thompson) but which I've read all so far... when not quite in the mood for trying some other, perhaps not as good or way too Nordic author and neither wanting to go to the usual Connelly etc. I enjoyed it. Nice, still exotic enough location, characters that you get to know well (I hate when some books leave the characters so detached, definitely not the case here), and everyone, both the good and the bad guys, have their secrets and their dreams.
I'll definitely look for more by this author, as it looks there are more books in this series. I'll recommend the book and the author to a few US fans of Nordic/International crime (even though Canada is a bit away from Scandinavia, I think there was something a bit similar to many Nordic authors in style and location, so I think they might like), and see if anyone would want to give the book a shot, or then again, I have in mind also a few huge fans of all kinds of Canadian authors in Europe, so it might travel there with me as an alternative. Let's see what the book desires...

Journal Entry 5 by aetm at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/17/2012 UTC) at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland

To Niora - enjoy :)

Safe journey little book - I hope you'll make many new friends on your travels!

"Don't ever apologize to an author for buying something in paperback, or taking it out from a library (that's what they're there for. Use your library). Don't apologize to this author for buying books second hand, or getting them from bookcrossing or borrowing a friend's copy. What's important to me is that people read the books and enjoy them, and that, at some point in there, the book was bought by someone. And that people who like things, tell other people. The most important thing is that people read... "
— Neil Gaiman

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)

Journal Entry 6 by wingNiorawing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland on Friday, May 18, 2012

Taken from a meet-up with aetm here in Joensuu, Finland yesterday. Looks like good summer reading!