corner corner The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And Other Clinical Tales

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: And Other Clinical Tales
by Oliver Sacks | Science
Registered by melydia of Centreville, Virginia USA on 6/11/2011

status (set by chelle523): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by melydia from Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 11, 2011

Picked this up at the Book Thing in Baltimore, Maryland. I really don't need any more to read, but this is one I've been wanting to read for a while.

Registered in Centreville, Virginia, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by melydia at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

This is quite possibly the most amazing collection of true stories I've ever read. I'd encountered Sacks's work in the past only through the movie Awakenings (which I didn't even know was him, given that the doctor in the film is named Malcolm Sayers), but that was merely the tip of the iceberg. Herein is described a man whose memory failed him, where he perpetually believes it to be some forty years ago, and cannot remember anything that's happened since for more than a minute or two at a time. A woman who has trouble hearing people over the deafening Irish music playing in her head. A man whose visual understanding of the world is so diminished that he literally cannot identify a rose until he smells it, though he can describe its shape and colors to the smallest detail. And on and on. The mind is an amazing machine, and this book of various ways it can misfire is not at all depressing, as one might expect. Indeed, it's actually full of hope, a reminder of how ingeniously mankind can adapt to even the most unusual and strenuous of circumstances.

Journal Entry 3 by LittleWhiteBird at Westminster, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 05, 2011

melydia brought the book to our Bookcrossing meeting at Birdie's Cafe today.

I have heard of the author, I like books that are non-fiction, and the title of the book seemed familiar, so I decided to take it home.

Journal Entry 4 by LittleWhiteBird at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Indeed a fascinating collection of true stories. It also shows how a caring attitude can make a big difference in bringing out the special abilities of these people and assisting them to live a good life in their sometimes very unusual worlds instead of reducing them to troublesome people with deficiencies.

I think I first read of the author on the back of a postcard that had a black and white portrait photo of him, by the way. I wonder whether I still have that postcard.

Journal Entry 5 by LittleWhiteBird at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/6/2012 UTC) at Arlington, Virginia USA

Mailing this to a swap-bot member who wishes for books or anything else to do with mental asyslums. The author is talking about a "Home" and "hospitals", but I think these might be the same or at least closely enough related that she'd be interested, since I figure it's mostly about the people anyway.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by chelle523 at Urbana, Ohio USA on Thursday, February 09, 2012

I received this from melydia through a Swap-bot wish list (I was wishing for books and info about mental institutions). Can't wait to read it!!!