corner corner Bel Canto (2).

Bel Canto (2).
by Ann Patchett | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingoppemwing of Hermiston, Oregon USA on 6/7/2011

status (set by VeganMedusa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingoppemwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, May 31, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (5/31/2012 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Happy Birthday - hope you enjoy this wishlist book as much as I did... it is one of my favourite books...

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thank you very much for sending this wish list book to me for my birthday, together with some bookmarks, a card and the labels.
You're great!

Will keep you posted as to what I think of this book. May be a while though, before I get to it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, May 12, 2013

Synopsis:
"In an unnamed South American country, a world-renowned soprano sings at a birthday party in honor of a visiting Japanese industrial titan. His hosts hope that Mr. Hosokawa can be persuaded to build a factory in their Third World backwater. Alas, in the opening sequence, just as the accompanist kisses the soprano, a ragtag band of 18 terrorists enters the vice-presidential mansion through the air conditioning ducts. Their quarry is the president, who has unfortunately stayed home to watch a favorite soap opera. And thus, from the beginning, things go awry.

Among the hostages are not only Hosokawa and Roxane Coss, the American soprano, but an assortment of Russian, Italian, and French diplomatic types. Reuben Iglesias, the diminutive and gracious vice president, quickly gets sideways of the kidnappers, who have no interest in him whatsoever. Meanwhile, a Swiss Red Cross negotiator named Joachim Messner is roped into service while vacationing. He comes and goes, wrangling over terms and demands, and the days stretch into weeks, the weeks into months."

Journal Entry 4 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, June 13, 2013

Reserved for VeganMedusa in schwester's wislist tag game.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, June 13, 2013

This has been a very interesting read. It took me a while to finish it, not because it was difficult or not a nice book, but just because there were too many other things that I needed to do.

On the one hand, nothing much happens in this book. On the other hand, a whole lot is going on. Here's the short story.
Several months quite a few totally different people are held hostage in a luxuruous house. The hostages are kept in the house, are not even allowed to go into the garden, so all 'action' is taking place on only a few square metres. The interesting things to see is, how the terrorists handle the fact that their main target is not present, how the hostages act and interact amongst themselves.
Later, when days have turned to weeks and weeks into months, the relationships shift again.
Characters were well developed, I could relate to many of them, despite I didn't like some. What I absolutely disliked was the end. To me it had no bearing at all the the first part of the novel. It was called 'epilogue', but I think the book could have done without it.

*SPOILER ALERT*

I can handle a bad ending, that is not the problem. For me, the problem is, that two people who had no relationship, no affection (other than admiration for the ability to sing and the ability to translate to and from so many languages) to each other whatsoever should get married.
I'm not sure why an authour would think of that, what could be the value of this for the story. I'm sorry she added it, for me it decreases the value of the story.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (6/20/2013 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

This book is now on its way to VeganMedusa, whom I tagged with this book. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!

I am entering this controlled released book for the Long Jump Game of the BookCrossing Olympics & entering for the Badminton Game of the same BookCrossing Olympics, thus braking two rules :-)

Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 7 by VeganMedusa at Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Thursday, July 04, 2013

Thanks, Boekentrol!