corner corner Excellent Women

Excellent Women
by Barbara Pym | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winglytteltonwitchwing of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 5/27/2011

status (set by han_cat): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winglytteltonwitchwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, May 27, 2011

Bought this book at a charity shop in Street

Journal Entry 2 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/22/2012 UTC) at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Given to MissMarkey

Journal Entry 3 by wingMissMarkeywing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Read and enjoyed. This book is now to be offered as a book ring for those attending the Oxford Convention 2015 as our first author talk secured is Clemence Schultz from the Barbara Pym Society giving a talk entitled Barbara Pym: The Unashamed Reader Of Novels.
Bookring Order :-
1. ReetPetite..............read
2. Vekiki....................read
3. Pinkoeria"............... here
4. Sota48
5. NowINka
6. Candy-is-dandy
7. Greenbadger

Journal Entry 4 by ReetPetite at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 07, 2014

Thanks MissMarkey

Journal Entry 5 by ReetPetite at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 13, 2014

Mildred Lathbury is one of those 'excellent women' who is often taken for granted. She is a godsend, 'capable of dealing with most of the stock situations of life - birth, marriage, death, the successful jumble sales, the garden fete spoilt by bad weather'. As such, she often gets herself embroiled in other people's lives - especially those of her glamorous new neighbours, the Napiers, whose marriage seems to be on the rocks. One cannot take sides in these matters, though it is tricky, especially as Mildred, teetering on the edge of spinsterhood, has a soft spot for dashing young Rockingham Napier. This is Barbara Pym's world at its funniest and most touching.

Really enjoyed this book. I kept hoping Mildred would stick up for herself especially about the furniture. Thanks for organising MissMarkey.
I've got Vekiki's address so it'll be posted soon.

Journal Entry 6 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 20, 2014

arrived safe n sound.... looking forward to this. I should be done with my current read in a few days so shouldn't be too long on this

Journal Entry 7 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (12/18/2014 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

on it's way to the next reader

Journal Entry 8 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 19, 2014

Thank you for sending me this, I will push it to the top of my TBR.

Journal Entry 9 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 04, 2015

This was a nice read, I definitely liked it a lot better than A Glass of Blessings.

Journal Entry 10 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 19, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (1/13/2015 UTC) at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom

I forgot to make release notes when I sent this. Hope it arrives at the next BookCrosser soon.

Journal Entry 11 by wingsota48wing at Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Monday, January 19, 2015

The book arrived today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 12 by wingsota48wing at Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Friday, February 06, 2015

Enjoyed the book; a glimpse into a way of life which is quite alien to me.
The book travels to Poland tomorrow.

Journal Entry 13 by wingsota48wing at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 06, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (2/7/2015 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This book will travel by mail to NowINkA.
A bookring in connection with the BC Convention in Oxford in April 2015.

Journal Entry 14 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Thursday, February 12, 2015

Arrived today. I'm currently reading another book but this one is next in line.
Thank you!

Journal Entry 15 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Friday, February 20, 2015

I could easily put myself in Mildred's shoes on more than one occasion. I'm not a party animal either, not to mention that I'm in my mid thirties and live alone as well (thankfully I don't have to share the bathroom! lol). However, the way she considered herself as uninteresting, "mousy and rather plain" was a bit depressing and I felt sorry for her at times. But apart from that, it was another enjoyable read from Barbara Pym. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Friday, February 20, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (2/20/2015 UTC) at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland

Posted to the next person on the list. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, February 27, 2015

Arrived safely. Thanks for sending. It will be next up so that I can move it on again soon.

Journal Entry 18 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, March 12, 2015

Readying myself for a talk at the Bookcrossing Convention on Barbara Pym, whom I had never read until a couple of months ago.

A pleasant enjoyable read - I preferred this to Crampton Hodnet, by the same author, which I read recently. Obviously set in a different time (early 50s) when unmarried women were a lesser being, or at least felt so. Mildred Lathbury, despite being an 'excellent woman' considered herself unworthy of marriage or of being interesting in her own right, though I feel she could have been teased out of her shell a bit more. She almost fought back a couple of times. An enjoyable, humorous story. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 19 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, March 16, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (3/16/2015 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way to the next in line - mailed today.

Journal Entry 20 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 19, 2015

It's arrived, thank you!

Journal Entry 21 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Excellent women like Mildred Lathbury can always be relied on to do the right thing, to help out at the church, to make tea in a crisis, and to help out in other people's difficulties. Of course they are not the sort of woman anyone would fall in love with. When Mildred's new neighbours have a marital crisis of course it is her they turn to, despite her having a thing for the charming Rocky Napier. And when the vicar gets engaged everyone sees her as having been rejected. Gently humorous.

Journal Entry 22 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Since I'm last in the ray, MissMarkey has asked me to release this one at the Oxford Convention.

Journal Entry 23 by winggreenbadgerwing at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (4/10/2015 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

To the finder, enjoy, and I hope you will write a journal entry so that previous readers will know that this book has been found (even anonymously). It is always a joy to find where it has gone. Once you've read this book, pass it on to a friend, or set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did.
You can remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining (free with no strings) please consider using greenbadger, MissMarkey or any of the other bookcrossers who have journal this as your referrer.
When you pass this book along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it. Thank you.

Journal Entry 24 by han_cat at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 10, 2015

Picked up from the book buffet. Will be my third Pym read, one I liked one I didn't at all so maybe this will be the decider!