corner corner The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Lemon-Crisis of Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, May 07, 2011

status (set by 1001-library): available

Journal Entry 1 by Lemon-Crisis from Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, May 07, 2011

Christopher is an intelligent youth who lives in the functional hinterland of autism--every day is an investigation for him because of all the aspects of human life that he does not quite get. When the dog next door is killed with a garden fork, Christopher becomes quietly persistent in his desire to find out what has happened and tugs away at the world around him until a lot of secrets unravel messily.

Haddon makes an intelligent stab at how it feels to, for example, not know how to read the faces of the people around you, to be perpetually spooked by certain colours and certain levels of noise, to hate being touched to the point of violent reaction. Life is difficult for the difficult and prickly Christopher in ways that he only partly understands; this avoids most of the obvious pitfalls of novels about disability because it demands that we respect--perhaps admire--him rather than pity him.

My spare copy, being donated to the 1001-Library.

Journal Entry 2 by Lemon-Crisis at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A NOTE TO 1001-LIBRARY REQUESTERS:

I’m happy to ship anywhere, but I will usually post the cheapest way I can as Royal Mail is stupidly expensive. I recommend you check to see if there is another copy available nearer to you if you want it quickly.

That being said, I welcome all requests as my books love to travel!

Journal Entry 3 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Thanks so much for your donation Lemon-Crisis!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf

Journal Entry 4 by Lemon-Crisis at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, May 21, 2011

Requested by lamelemon from Soffitta1's Euro 1001 VBB. Will be travelling off to Romania soon! =]

Journal Entry 5 by Lemon-Crisis at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, May 29, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (5/28/2011 UTC) at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom

Posted on Saturday (yesterday). Enjoy! =]

Journal Entry 6 by lamelemon at București, Wallachia Romania on Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Wow, that was fast :) thanks, Lemon-Crisis, this really looks like my type of book for warm summer days.

Journal Entry 7 by lamelemon at București, Wallachia Romania on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Wow, I've been holding on to this book for almost a year, but when I got round to reading it I couldn't put it down. I know it deserves more than an "it was great!" review, but it really was, and there's not much left to say. It surprised and overwhelmed me with its unusual and sensitive theme.

LE Nov 7th - Placed in soffitta1's EURO 1001 VBB
LE May '13 - Not chosen, so returning to the 1001-library bookshelf

Journal Entry 8 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, May 31, 2013

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing lamelemon:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf