corner corner A Bad Bride's Tale

A Bad Bride's Tale
by Polly Williams | Literature & Fiction
Registered by flewry of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 4/30/2011

status (set by flewry): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by flewry from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, April 30, 2011

Book club selection, obtained used on Amazon.

Journal Entry 2 by flewry at St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Sunday, May 15, 2011

This started out well, but it lost its sense of humor pretty quickly on, and devolved into an overly detailed melodrama.

It irritated me that the author couldn't seem to decide whether she wanted her story to be multi-perspective, or just focusing on Stevie. The result was that majority of the book was from Stevie's perspective, but you'd get stray chapters, paragraphs, or even sentences from other peoples'. It did not work for me at all.

On a related note, this was WAY too long; I could have enjoyed it a lot more if it had been at least a hundred pages shorter, and this seemed to be a result of the author not having a clear character focus. Just to name a few of many instances, we didn't need the details of Katy and [insert name here, don't want to spoil even if it's obvious!] falling in love, and basically anything relating to the younger brother was pointless.

A few good things about it..... I thought the dialogue was well done, very natural sounding. And I liked how thoughtful and honest it was.. at least in the beginning. By the end I was bored.

Journal Entry 3 by flewry at St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Saturday, August 06, 2011

To be released today by Team Iron for Turn 7 of Bookcrossing Monopoly! Hope the next reader likes it better than I did. :)

Journal Entry 4 by flewry at First United Methodist Church in St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Saturday, August 06, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (8/6/2011 UTC) at First United Methodist Church in St. Petersburg, Florida USA

"Bally's getting married in the morning, so get him to the church on time."

He will be meeting his Bad Bride today at the First United Methodist Church!

You have to look closely to see her in this picture. A Bad Bride's Tale is visible in the window at the lower right hand corner.