corner corner The Swallow and the Hummingbird

The Swallow and the Hummingbird
by Santa Montefiore | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LindyLouMac of Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on 4/26/2011

status (set by LindyLouMac): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Product Description Amazon.co.uk
When George Bolton returns home to Devon at the end of the war, Rita assumes that her childhood sweetheart will marry her and that their future will be a reassuring continuation of their past. But the boy who joined the RAF has come back a man, and a man irrevocably changed by the horrors that he has seen. Unable to settle back into the sleepy seaside village, George resolves to spend a year on the family farm in Argentina, and, despite her disappointment, Rita promises to wait for him.

Rita keeps her promise. But for George there are irresistible temptations, and an agonising choice to make ...

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Saturday, May 07, 2011

The setting is England and the Argentine, starting just after the end of WWII when George Bolton returns home to Frognal Point a quiet seaside village in Devon. The sweetheart he left behind before the war, Rita Fairweather has waited patiently for his return, expecting their relationship to continue from where it left off. George though is no longer the boy who went off to war and became a Spitfire pilot, he finds himself unable to settle back into his previous way of life. He decides that he needs to get away for awhile to get over his wartime experiences and departs againn to spend a year with relations in Argentina. Rita although disappointed resolves to wait for him in Devon as she feels unable to go with him if they are not yet married. Would you wait for ever for the love of your life? This is what happens to Rita as she keeps her promise to George, he however finds a different life that he enjoys and it is ten years before he returns to England again.

The Swallow and The Hummingbird was Santa’s fourth novel to be published back in 2005, the year after we left the UK to live in Italy so I somehow missed obtaining a copy until I found one at the end of last year. It is three years since I have read one of her novels but this was just as I expected it to be a richly woven tale with a large cast of characters and lots of vivid detail. Recommended for all lovers of romantic fiction, especially fans of Rosamunde Pilcher.

For more information on this author and her work please visit my blog post.

Reserved for a friend

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac at sent in the post, Given to a potential Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 09, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (9/12/2011 UTC) at sent in the post, Given to a potential Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent to a Blogging friend and potential Bookcrosser
Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading