corner corner Dancing With the Virgins

Dancing With the Virgins
by Stephen Booth | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by pingucb of Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on 4/15/2011

status (set by chocdrop): available

Journal Entry 1 by pingucb from Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, April 15, 2011

From the blurb:
In a remote part of the Peak District stand the Nine Virgins, a ring of stones overshadowed by a dark legend. Now, as winter closes in, a tenth figure is added to the circle - the body of a woman is discovered, her limbs arranged as if she were dancing.
Against the brooding backdrop of the White Peak, Detective Sergeant Diane Fry and her old sparring partner Ben Cooper attempt to solve a murder that seems motiveless. But the moors have witnessed more violence than either of them realize, and the roots to the bloodshed lie buried deep in the past.

This book is one of a set being organised as bookrays for attendees of the 2011 UK BookCrossing Unconvention in Nottingham in September. The aim is to allow as many attendees as possible to read the speaker authors' books before the event.

Full details of the Bookray participants for this book can be found on the Uncon website here

The following rules apply:

1) Please check the website for the most up to date reader list just before sending the book on. The order of the rays may be tweaked a little bit as we go on, dependent on availability of readers. Contact the next reader via PM (or other means) in plenty of time so that you can get the book moving again as soon as possible.

2) If you're contacted about receiving one of the books but aren't able to commit to reading it at that time, please ask to be moved to a later point in the list so that the books keep moving as much as possible, and let me know so I can update the webpage accordingly.

3) Enjoy the books!!

Journal Entry 2 by pingucb at Tadworth, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, May 30, 2011

I finished this a couple of days ago - the length of time it's taken me to read is definitely not a reflection of how much I was enjoying it! If I could have read as much as I'd like then I would have had this one finished in a couple of days.
I had no idea what was coming next for the majority of the book with plenty of red herrings to keep you guessing. I was kept interested by an intriguing mystery story and lots more development of the back story for the main characters.
Looking forward to the next in the series.
I have details for the next reader, so will be posting on as soon as I can get to the Post Office.

Journal Entry 3 by pingucb at Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (6/1/2011 UTC) at Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom

Posted off to nu-knees today to begin its Uncon bookray journey. Hope you enjoy it :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 02, 2011

I'd heard that bookrings and rays are like buses, there are none in sight and then two come together, but, presumably because I sign up for so few, I'd not actually experienced this strange phenomenon - not until today, that is! I came back from posting three BookCrossing books to new readers to find the postman had delivered another two in my absence! So, how do I choose between them? They've both got only one name after me, so that's not a consideration! The other one looks flufflier, more like weekend/holiday reading, so I think I'll start with this one ....
Thank you, pingucb, I thoroughly enjoyed Black Dog and look forward to reading this next in the series.

Journal Entry 5 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 03, 2011

I know I said, or at least implied, that I was putting aside my other reading to give this ray priority, but I didn't expect to have finished it already, all 562 page-turning pages of it, the day after its arrival! I probably don't need to add that I found it totally gripping, that I could hardly put it down! It has an intricate storyline with several cleverly interwoven strands running through it and some very strong characterisation, making it just the sort of mystery I enjoy getting lost in. Who needs housework when there's a growing body-count wanting my attention? LOL!
I was going to add that I was very impressed with the atmosphere and the importance of the landscape but then realised I was repeating what I'd already written about Black Dog, the first in this fascinating series.
Thank you again, pingucb - I look forward to spending more time in the company of Ben Cooper and Diane Fry and to seeing/hearing the author in Nottingham.
I've contacted the next reader for details!

Journal Entry 6 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Starbeck, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 06, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (6/6/2011 UTC) at Starbeck, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Posted to the next reader

Journal Entry 7 by Mai-day at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 09, 2011

Thanks Nu-Knees - It's arrived safely and I've already made a respectable dent in it!

Journal Entry 8 by Mai-day at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 19, 2011

Well I really enjoyed this, a real page turner as Nu-knees said. Interesting, 3 dimensional charachters and plenty to keep you thinking right up to the end.

Pingucb - I'm not sure who this is going to next - perhaps you could PM me with a name so I can get in touch and keep it moving?

Thanks.

Journal Entry 9 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

This book was waiting for me when I got home. I have kindly gotten permission to wait until the ring Black Dog reaches me before I read this one. It looks very good and I am excited to read it. Judging by the reviews so far, I think I may have make sure I have plenty of time to read this before starting it, because I know I will want to keep reading till it's done!

Journal Entry 10 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Well, I was too impatient to wait for Black Dog and I read this one. It was very good. Like the readers before me, I just couldn't put it down. The plot was original and I definitely did not see the ending coming! Thank you for sharing with me!

Journal Entry 11 by pinkoeria at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, September 16, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (9/16/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next reader. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 12 by wingMissMarkeywing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 19, 2011

Received today. Thank you pinkoeria.

Journal Entry 13 by wingMissMarkeywing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 19, 2012

I really enjoyed this but I'm no nearer thinking of murdering someone (reference the Nottingham convention!) so I'll pass it on to the next in line and that's Cindress.

Journal Entry 14 by Cinderess at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Great timing! I have a TBR of 5 (Not that I'm boasting, not much!!!!) and they're all the heavier things I've put off till later, so need to space them out a bit with other books...so thank you very much for sending this Miss M. I enjoyed the first book and am hoping to remember the 'back story' for this second in the series.

Journal Entry 15 by Cinderess at by post, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 10, 2012

I found this so slow; so much description and allusions to events of the first book that I ended up picking another book to read. I tried to continue it yesterday but my interest had waned. I'm not drawn to either Fry or Cooper, and don't really care about their issues.
This is a shame as I liked the first book, but I don't plan to read the rest of the series now.
I look forward to seeing what the tv programme makers will have done with the books.

Journal Entry 16 by Cinderess at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 11, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (3/12/2012 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sending to the next reader on the list.

Journal Entry 17 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 15, 2012

received today thank you. I will start it as soon as I finish the book I am reading.

Journal Entry 18 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

A real page turner that had me gripped from start to finish. I used to walk regularly in the Peak District either with my children or alone. People often asked if I was scared but I loved being alone especially on Stanton Moor.
As the murderer’s targets are lone women walkers. It is a good job I didn’t read this when I was a lone woman walker!!!
I know the 9 Ladies stone circle and also the Cat Stone well, it is a very beautiful area.

Journal Entry 19 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (4/10/2012 UTC) at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom

As soon as the bank holidays are over this will be on its way to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 20 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Braintree, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, April 15, 2012

This was waiting for me on my return from a few days away. It's always good to see a parcel on the doormat. Looking forward to the second in the series. Thanks.

Journal Entry 21 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Braintree, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

I liked this even better than the first. I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns though I'm not quite sure I've got the whole thing sorted in my head, even now.

As in the previous book, for much of this one I must admit to not understanding the character of Diane Fry nor what her problem is with Ben Cooper. She seems to have an issue with everyone and is a wholly unlikeable character. I can't be doing with her. She seemed to come around a bit by the end of the book but I so hope, vainly I'm sure, that they won't become romantically involved. She is so hard and cold! Sorry, Mr Booth but I find this aspect of the books so unconvincing. The rest I love.

Journal Entry 22 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (5/8/2012 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to ekranda - next in line for this bookring.

Journal Entry 23 by wingPaws4Bookswing at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 04, 2012

Oops...so sorry I've only just journaled this had it a while and about to start reading it. Tanomo has asked for this one once I've finished too :0)

Journal Entry 24 by wingPaws4Bookswing at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 28, 2012

I think that this book is written to display a slow pace, perhaps indicating the reality of the pace a real police investigation might take....even the parents of the murder victim became frustrated  at the slowness of the investigation in this story!

a sense of ironic humour is displayed at the crime scene, following the murder; with a very tongue in cheek description of a pair of travellers and an older man who stripped off and a variety of groups of people that either want to perform rituals at the location of the murder or those that wish to visit the stones out of nosiness!  Somehow this injection of humour seems to take something away from the serious nature of the crime itself.   The relationship between Cooper and Fry continues and develops somewhat in this book.  the tale does become more serious and I had no idea of the outcome, making it not obvious.  I read this one slowly but enjoyed it nonetheless!

Journal Entry 25 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Safely arrived in Hinckley. Thanks Emily.

Journal Entry 26 by Tanamo at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 02, 2013

I read Black Dog a while ago and wished for a copy to hand to refresh my memory of what happened between Cooper and Fry as this book gives more prominence to the back story of these characters than the actual murder investigation. That said the book is definitely a page turner with plenty of red herrings. I never expected to find myself thoroughly disliking a policeman (Weenink) and taking a shine to a suspected paedophile.
Of course it's set in an area I love and that always helps as I can picture the scene so easily. Well done Mr Booth.

Journal Entry 27 by chocdrop at Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 28, 2013

What a wonderful surprise to receive this RABCK in the post today. Thank you Tanamo. I've enjoyed the other Stephen Booth books that I've read so I am looking forward to this one.