corner corner White

White
by Rosie Thomas | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LindyLouMac of Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on 4/6/2011

status (set by LindyLouMac): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

My edition is an audio book abridged and read by Juliet Stevenson. Review to follow.

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Monday, April 25, 2011

I have been reading and enjoying the novels of Rosie Thomas for many years now although it is a few years since I last read one. I must rectify this as I have at least four of her most recent novels waiting to be read. It is the usual excuse, so many books so little time, but listening to White has revived my interest. I had read this previously but decided to listen to the tapes before making them available on Bookmooch. Rosie Thomas is not only an author but a keen traveller and mountaineer which comes over in her writing, especially so in ‘White’ as it is about an expedition to climb Everest.

Her obvious knowledge of climbing adds to the reality of the story which set against the mountain backdrop, makes this novel much more than a complicated love story between the three protagonists. Sam McGrath whose chance encounter on a plane means he ends up in Nepal. Al Hood an experienced climber who has promised his daughter that this climb will be his last and Sam Finch who has signed up as an expedition doctor. Demons and dreams are played out against the dramatic backdrop of Everest.

I actually read this back in October 2007 before I started this blog, but I was already posting reviews on Amazon, my review was entitled Passion and Drama.

This is what I had to say then “This title was actually published in 2000 and it has been sitting on my bookshelf for awhile as I was not sure I wanted to read it! However I have now got around to it and enjoyed much more than expected.
I actually know very little about mountaineering so found the detail fascinating. I do find it difficult to understand why people want to push their body to its limits and beyond though. The experiences of the climbers struggling to climb Everest in this story are horrendous.
I was particularly interested to read about Namche and the trek to Everest Base Camp, as I have a niece who as part of her travels is due to go there.
If you like a good romance with some drama thrown in, you cannot fail to enjoy this”.

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac at Bookmooch.com, a bookmoocher -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 16, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (5/12/2011 UTC) at Bookmooch.com, a bookmoocher -- Controlled Releases

Sent to a Bookmoocher in France.

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up or anything to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - LindyLouMac - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading