corner corner The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency

The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency
by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Lijay of Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on 9/9/2003

status (set by Neesy): available

Journal Entry 1 by Lijay from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 09, 2003

This is as you may tell from the title a book about a lady dective agency, in Botswana. I was a bit disappointed by this book insomuch as the plotting was relatively simplistic and seemed to be more of a collection of episodes / short stories than a cohesive novel. I thought the character of Precious Ramotswe was well drawn and I did like the glimpses into African life.

Journal Entry 2 by Lijay from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Friday, September 19, 2003

Have agreed with Tomatolady to send this book off to her daughter. I will be posting it off tomorrow.

Journal Entry 3 by rem_frogwmn on Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Thank you for the book. My mom may have mentioned that my husband and I were recently in Belfast. We loved it there!! We stayed in a wonderful bed and breakfast just outside the city center. I will make more comments once I have read the book.

Journal Entry 4 by rem_frogwmn on Thursday, February 12, 2004

This book was good. It was a very tame, simple book to read. I read it in about 3 days. The author does a good job of describing the Botswana landscape. Mma Ramotswe uses her common sense to solve mysteries that people bring to her.

Journal Entry 5 by tomatolady from Boise, Idaho USA on Tuesday, March 16, 2004

My daughter liked this book so I will read it too.

Journal Entry 6 by tomatolady from Boise, Idaho USA on Friday, July 02, 2004

I really liked this book so I got the rest of the series to read.

Journal Entry 7 by tomatolady from Boise, Idaho USA on Monday, August 16, 2004

Going to Australia in mbag for Mistlerose

Journal Entry 8 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Saturday, December 18, 2004

This book continues its travels, to Victoria.
Many thanks to all before me who have kept the book alive.
I have read it before and ended up being taken in by the simple but pleasant style.
Have a good Christmas and New Year all of you.

Journal Entry 9 by Mistlerose from Frankston, Victoria Australia on Monday, December 20, 2004

arrived today safe and well. Thankyou very much to all concerned.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Journal Entry 10 by Mistlerose from Frankston, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, December 29, 2004

I finished this yesterday. It was great. I am going to look for the rest of the books in this series.

Thanks to Tomatolady for sending me this book.

Journal Entry 11 by Mistlerose at winner of the sweepstakes challenge in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 18, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (2/18/2005 UTC) at winner of the sweepstakes challenge in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

posted to the winner of the Aus/NZ Sweepstakes.

Journal Entry 12 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Thanks for this, I wasn't the winner mistlerose is currently being surrounded by books:) I was the decoy! I have always wondered about these books so will read this one then pass it around the brissy group! Thanks again and enjoy your books!

Journal Entry 13 by Suzieq-j from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, March 29, 2005

picked up at meetup

Journal Entry 14 by chardonnaychic from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, August 28, 2005

caught this book in Melbourne

Journal Entry 15 by Neesy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Received in the mail yesterday! Thank you so much for posting this to me chardonnaychic!

I decided to track down this book after hearing a few Brisbane BCers mention how much they enjoyed the series. I'll let you know how I go.

Neesy

Journal Entry 16 by Neesy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Thanks to everyone who recommended this book - mainly Scoopy. It was very entertaining and introduced the African culture very well. Looking forward to reading the rest in the series!