corner corner Blood on the Tongue

Blood on the Tongue
by Stephen Booth | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by pingucb of Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, April 01, 2011

status (set by katie1980): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by pingucb from Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, April 01, 2011

From the blurb: It wasn't the easiest way to commit suicide. Marie Tennent seemed to have just curled up in the snow on Irontongue Hill until her body slowly and agonisingly froze. But hers wasn't the only corpse lying hidden beneath the Peak District snow that January...
DS Diane Fry is trying to build a murder inquiry, but she's not finding it easy. The snow and ice have depleted half the 'E' division and her partner, DC Ben Cooper, is otherwise engaged trying to solve a 50-year-old wartime mystery.
To DS Fry, Ben's interest in the case seems a waste of police time - until a vicious attack in the dark Edendale backstreets suggests that the past could provide a motive for the present violence.

My Dad gave me this, which he picked up in the charity shop. Once I've read it it's being used as a 2011 Unconvention bookray book as Stephen Booth will be one of the author speakers in Nottingham.

Journal Entry 2 by pingucb at Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, June 02, 2011

This book is one of a set being organised as bookrays for attendees of the 2011 UK BookCrossing Unconvention in Nottingham in September. The aim is to allow as many attendees as possible to read the speaker authors' books before the event.

Full details of the Bookray participants for this book can be found on the Uncon website here

The following rules apply:

1) Please check the website for the most up to date reader list just before sending the book on. The order of the rays may be tweaked a little bit as we go on, dependent on availability of readers. Contact the next reader via PM (or other means) in plenty of time so that you can get the book moving again as soon as possible.

2) If you're contacted about receiving one of the books but aren't able to commit to reading it at that time, please ask to be moved to a later point in the list so that the books keep moving as much as possible, and let me know so I can update the webpage accordingly.

3) Enjoy the books!!

Journal Entry 3 by pingucb at Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, June 19, 2011

Finished this one today - another great read from Stephen Booth. With a series like this there's always the chance that things will start to get a bit samey two or three books in, but this is definitely not the case here.
A completely original mystery storyline that kept me guessing right up to the end, lots of interwoven threads, interesting characters and fascinating background details.
Loved it and may go straight on to the next one!
Contacting the next reader now to post on.

Journal Entry 4 by pingucb at Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, June 20, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/20/2011 UTC) at Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom

Posted off to nu-knees this morning - hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 5 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 21, 2011

That was quick, it's here already, thank you very much, pingucb!
I thoroughly enjoyed Black Dog and Dancing with the Virgins and am looking forward to spending more time in the company of our two heroes, especially with your enthusiastic comments.
Will just finish the book I'm reading first ....

Journal Entry 6 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 24, 2011

Another page-turner from a talented mystery writer who writes the sort of plots I enjoy in the sort of prose I love to read! The intermingling of the present with the WW2 plane crash is fascinating. As I've mentioned in writing about earlier books in the series, the sense of time and place is an essential part of the story. I'm particularly familiar with one of the places mentioned here, although not at the relevant time, of course. The two Polish airmen had been posted to the Operational Training Unit in Lymm, Cheshire where I lived for three years in the early 1980s (p438).
I have the details for the next reader so will get this Ray travelling on again fairly swifltly.
Thanks again, pingucb!

Journal Entry 7 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Ripley, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 27, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/27/2011 UTC) at Ripley, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

posted to the next reader

Journal Entry 8 by katie1980 at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 30, 2011

Arrived in the post today. At least I remembered to journal this one! I am actually waiting to receive the second book from Amazon and it ought to arrive very soon, so I will read that one first assuming it doesn't take too long to get here. If it isn't here in a week, I will read this one anyway.

Journal Entry 9 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 28, 2011

Oops - this came last weekend! Enjoying these so it won't take me long.

Journal Entry 10 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 01, 2011

I am really enjoying this series. I especially enjoy the descriptions of rural Derbyshire but was snapped sharply home this time when it was announced that the dead woman’s mother came from Falkirk! I was a little confused at the beginning with so many different threads and I think I was a little slow in making the connections this time.

Ben Cooper moving into his own house has given the opportunty for us to find out more of his personal life especially involving Diane Fry but she’s exceedingly stroppy with him at the moment. It does seem a little bit too much at times and she did irritate me with her continuous irrational sniping. It’s going to keep being a will they/won’t they storyline.

Journal Entry 11 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Just arrived, and I hope to start tomorrow. I am really looking forward to another Stephen Booth. Thank you all.

Journal Entry 12 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, August 15, 2011

I liked this book better than the previous one in the series and recommend it as a good read to anyone.
I contacted Heaven-Ali, the next on the list, who has found another copy, and I see that I have just pm'd katie1980, who has already journalled it, so, pingucb, where do you want me to send it next?

Journal Entry 13 by wingCross-patchwing at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, August 19, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (8/19/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

going to the next on the list. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by katie1980 at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 22, 2011

Back with me as I passed it on unread so as not to hold up the queue. As I'm now the last in the ray, I am trying to finish reading Dancing With The Virgins before starting on this one. Hopefully pingucb will let me know if anyone else joins the ray in the meantime!
I am determined to get it read this time, even though book 2 seems to be taking an age, and I'm not reading much right now!
Thanks for sharing, and allowing me to tag back onto the end of the list.

Journal Entry 15 by katie1980 at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 28, 2012

I did not realise this book had new readers added to the list, sorry. I gave it to Pingucb last weekend as I was not going to manage to read it, and I expect that she will have more chance to post it on than me at the moment. My twins are taking up lots of my time and some days I barely get to eat let alone read or post things on!
So hopefully it is moving again now. Sorry for the hold up.