corner corner Tony the Sailor's Son

Tony the Sailor's Son
by Anton Buttigieg | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingUrlawing of Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on Thursday, March 31, 2011

status (set by calendulaa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingUrlawing from Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Tony the Sailor's Son", alias Anton Buttigieg, former President of Malta, affectionately recalls characters and incidents from his childhood in a series of delightful vignettes. In spite of the hardship and grinding poverty of pre-war life on the island of Gozo, the people described here had a zest for living and enjoyed the simplest of pleasures to the full.

Anton Buttigieg was born in Qala, Gozo, in 1912, the brillant son of a poor sailor, who nevertheless supported him through his studies. He qualified as Doctor of Laws, and after the second world war he worked as a lawyer and journalist before moving into politics. In 1976 ha was elected the second President of Malta, a post he recently resigned because of ill health. He has always been active in promoting Maltese literature and language, and he has won many awards for his poetry.

Find my personal review in my blog (German only).

This book is part of my "1 year of my life = 1 country = 5 books"-Challenge (2nd book for Malta).

This book is part of my "Vom Mount Everest zum Brocken"-Challenge (5th book for July 2011 - y in the book's title).

Journal Entry 2 by wingUrlawing at Diez, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Monday, August 15, 2011

This book will be a short ray:
- Aldawen
- holle77
- CrimsonAngel

Journal Entry 3 by wingUrlawing at Diez, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Monday, August 15, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (8/16/2011 UTC) at Diez, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

On its way to Aldawen.

Journal Entry 4 by Aldawen at Oberhausen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, August 19, 2011

Gestern aus der Packstation befreit, danke schön!

Journal Entry 5 by Aldawen at Oberhausen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, September 18, 2011

All in all there were too many names of people, places and things in Maltese which I couldn't remember from one page to the next, and in fact I wasn't even interested in them. Nicknames are pointless if you don't understand them. Much of the text just seemed to provide a frame for Buttigiegs poems. I'm no fan of poems anyway and of course I can't say how they work out in Maltese, but in English I didn't find them especially entertaining. And in addition there was too much religion and church in it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingholle77wing at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Arrived, thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by wingholle77wing at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, November 20, 2011

I agree with Urla and Aldawen, the book has some interesting points of Maltese live but is boring to read.
I have still another book for CrimsonAngel, therefore I wait until I have read that to and then send both to her.

Journal Entry 8 by CrimsonAngel at Offenbach/Main, Hessen Germany on Monday, December 12, 2011

This book arrives here today with another book written by an author from Malta. I'm looking forward to read it!

Journal Entry 9 by CrimsonAngel at Offenbach/Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I've read this book for the 1 Jahr = 1 Land-Lifetime Challenge for Malta.

I can only agree with all the statements above - this book contains some interesting facts about life in Malta, but it is boring to read.

Journal Entry 10 by CrimsonAngel at BookBox, by hand -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Released 4 mos ago (11/23/2013 UTC) at BookBox, by hand -- Controlled Releases

This book will now continue its travel in the BookBox In unter 200 Seiten um die Welt

Journal Entry 11 by wingcalendulaawing at Wien - irgendwo / Vienna - somewhere, Wien Austria on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Aus der "in unter 200 Seiten um die Welt Box" entnommen. Vielen Dank!